Sound insulate drain pipe - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is the best way to sound insulate a drain pipe. My second floor master bath drains down through my equipment closet.

I have seen some wrap products and have also seen people build boxes around the pipes. Cosmetics not that big of a deal as it is in the closet.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 - The year of the Shed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Build a box from scrap. Wrap the pipe with insulation, frame from plywood + drywall or 2x2 frame + double drywall.

Often, vibration from a pipe is happening where the pipe contacts the floor framing, or ceiling framing. If that's the case, the best solution is to make the pipe hole larger

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
How often is someone using the master bath when you are in the theater? I would just wrap it with something to take the edge off the sound and call it a day. It's tucked in the closet and that should be your first line of defense.

If you box it in it will take up some head room getting to the back of your rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You'll need to retain access to the clean out.

I had a similar situation to your's. I framed the pipe, filled with insulation, plywooded over the framing then double drywalled with 2 layers of GG. My clean out was left exposed for now, but eventually will get a double MDF/GG cover that will be secured by bolts and T nuts (for future access).
post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

If you decide to wrap it and cut down on the nuisance as Big suggested, consider a self adhesive wrap. Easier than wrapping with MLV and constraining with duct tape.

Ted

post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You could also just build a wall separating the rack from the front section of the closet. You would need some form of access panel to the back of the av rack.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

How often is someone using the master bath when you are in the theater?

Quite frequently as it turns out. After I put the daughter to bed I frequently head downstairs to watch some TV and the wife heads for her bathroom. When we built this house, we put in a large mater bath complete with jetted tub and a flat panel over it. Needless to say, she uses it a lot. When that tub drains, there is a major rush of water coming down those pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

It's tucked in the closet and that should be your first line of defense.

Yes, but unfortunately, it is right there next to my rack which does not have a door and it is just feet from my seating area.

Before drywall you could follow the water flow across the theater room as the drain comes down the outside wall, goes across the theater ceiling, curves along the edge of the game room and then down the pipe in the closet. I managed to insulate the parts in the ceiling but once it hits that closet... well let's just say you fell like you are in the now famous Nautical themed theater also posted in here.

Good point on the clean out. I will have to come up with a removable door but I think I will box it in. I will probably just deal with it come spring so I don't have to be cutting inside.

Thanks again.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #8 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Drew

I have not used this yet but plan on it to wrap most of my waste runs. Its made for car interiors but im going to try it on my main stack and see what the results are

http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

Scott

Current Photo's

post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

We also have a self adhesive pipe wrap if you're interested. I've personally used it and liked it.

Ted

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page