Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV: Sammy 50" Plasma 1080p with 3 HDMI Inputs
XBox 360 - HDMI
Receiver: Stil Undecided on Denon, Onkyo or HK. Either way it will have 3 HDMI inputs
Satellite: Dish Network VIP722 - HDMI
DVD: Oppo DV-980H - HDMI

I would like some advice on how to wire it.

Right now I'm going to connect the DVD and the Xbox to the receiver and then use the receiver as the hub. My only issue that I have is the Satellite. When I'm watching regular TV I don't want to be dependant on turning on the receiver and having the sound from the 5.1 system. I would like the sound just to come out of the TV. However I want the option that if there is a Movie on the satellite that I can run the sound through my receiver.

Any recommendations on how to do that. It is possible to have the HDMI run from the Satellite to the TV and then have an Optical Audio Out running to the receiver?

Apologizing in advance if this is the incorrect forum to be posting this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 AM

For the satellite use the component output for video and the white and red cables for audio. Then use the HDMI out on the 722 to use surround while watching satellite.

Or you could get an HDMI splitter from monoprice.com
post #3 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I just thought of this. Is it possible to connect the Audio Output of my Plasma (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...PN50A510P3FXZA) to the Receiver and use the TV as the hub? Then connect the Xbox/DVD/Satellite to the TV and then when ever I want to hear the sound through the 5.1 just turn on the Receiver and turn the TV volume down?
post #4 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 AM

Yes you can do it that way.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumVP View Post

I just thought of this. Is it possible to connect the Audio Output of my Plasma (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...PN50A510P3FXZA) to the Receiver and use the TV as the hub? Then connect the Xbox/DVD/Satellite to the TV and then when ever I want to hear the sound through the 5.1 just turn on the Receiver and turn the TV volume down?

If you are referring to the optical digital out I doubt it would work. Most TVs only transmit 5.1 audio out of the optical connection when viewing over the air broadcasts. They do not "strip" out the audio from HDMI connections.

Why don't you want to use the receiver and speakers for normal TV viewing? I never quite understood why someone would want to listen to TV speakers! They are horrible, even if it is just the news!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

For me it is more of a volume issue. I have a 3 year old and an another on the way and I don't need the loud sound, the pounding of the bass, or the 5.1 when watching the news at 11:00 at night. I would just rather turn on the TV and watch it. With the news I really don't need 5.1.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

If you are referring to the optical digital out I doubt it would work. Most TVs only transmit 5.1 audio out of the optical connection when viewing over the air broadcasts. They do not "strip" out the audio from HDMI connections.

How could I find out if this is possible then? It would solve a big issue for me right now.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me it is more of a volume issue. I have a 3 year old and an another on the way and I don't need the loud sound, the pounding of the bass, or the 5.1 when watching the news at 11:00 at night. I would just rather turn on the TV and watch it. With the news I really don't need 5.1.

I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and a 3 month old son. My family room is right next to both of their bedrooms. For night viewing I keep the volume level no different then everyday viewing (around -30 on my Denon receiver). But, your receiver probably has a "night" setting which compresses the dynamic range which may work well.
Quote:

How could I find out if this is possible then? It would solve a big issue for me right now.

The owners manual may say something about it. I tried going to the site, but my connection here is flaky and kicking me off.

Mike

post #9 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

My current receiver (Harman Kardon about 15 years old) doesn't have any mode like that. I'm assuming that the new ones do.

Here is the link to the manual. I would have posted it as a n attachment but it's 20MB.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...02L02_0528.pdf
post #10 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My current receiver (Harman Kardon about 15 years old) doesn't have any mode like that. I'm assuming that the new ones do.

Here is the link to the manual. I would have posted it as a n attachment but it's 20MB.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...02L02_0528.pdf

Page 14 of the manual states this:

Quote:
When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from
the TV's Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send
out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital
component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel
sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver.
If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or
Home Theater, not the TV.

Just as suspected, it will only output 5.1 via OTA broadcasts, and 2 channel on everything else.

If it were my system I would use HDMI from your components to your receiver. Then HDMI to the TV from the receiver. I would also then connect component video cables and a pair of stereo RCA cables from your SAT to the TV. This allows you to have it both ways with probably no noticeable difference in picture quality on SAT viewing.

Mike

post #11 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for finding that information. It does make my decision very easy now. I believe I will take your advice on how to set it up with possible a minor change.

DVD via HDMI -> Receiver
Xbox via HDMI -> Receiver
HD Sat via HDMI -> TV
HD Sat Optical Digital Out -> Receiver

Receiver via HDMI -> TV

This setup should allow the Audio to be sent to the Receiver via the Optical and the video and audio to be sent to the TV via the HDMI.

Attached is a pic of the back of my HD Sat.

I think that is thought out.. but I may be missing something.
LL
post #12 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for finding that information. It does make my decision very easy now. I believe I will take your advice on how to set it up with possible a minor change.

DVD via HDMI -> Receiver
Xbox via HDMI -> Receiver
HD Sat via HDMI -> TV
HD Sat Optical Digital Out -> Receiver

Receiver via HDMI -> TV

This setup should allow the Audio to be sent to the Receiver via the Optical and the video and audio to be sent to the TV via the HDMI.

Attached is a pic of the back of my HD Sat.

I think that is thought out.. but I may be missing something.

That setup is fine. That is the great and not so great thing about AV stuff. You can wire it up so many different ways.

The difference between your setup and mine is that you will always have to have the TV set to a different input to watch SAT. So if you watch a DVD and switch to SAT you have to change both the receiver AND the TV. Or if you go from SAT to DVD you have to switch both as well. With my version you only have to switch TV inputs when you want to watch SAT without the receiver on.

So think about how you will use it most and wire it accordingly. My guess is that you will end up listening to your receiver all the time.

Mike

post #13 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

That is a very good point. I guess it doesn't matter to me, but for the better half (wife) the easier the better.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is a very good point. I guess it doesn't matter to me, but for the better half (wife) the easier the better.

Another option is to get a remote, like the Harmony One, and setup separate activities that will set everything for you. I got one for Christmas and love it! My wife does too!

Mike

post #15 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I setup a Harmony 670 for my neighbors and they love it as well. Just another option under the tool belt to make my life easier. I love it!!!

Thanks for the reminder.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page