post #271 of 1151 Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

The only music that I bare to listen to in such a bare room were live albums so I sat for a while with glass of Chianti and listened to Pink Floyd "Delicate Sound of Thunder" with outrageous uncontrolled base.

I can only imagine....and am very jealous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1151 Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

The star ceiling looks GREAT! Thanks for the write up.

Thanks CJ! Just trying to contribute to the collective

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZorTT View Post

Hi Moggie,
I've been meaning to do some measurements with REW in my room before and after treatments. Did you get any where with the software before your sound card gave up?

I did a very quick run through. I was careless with calibration so didn't save the results but my initial low frequency response test after letting the EQ1 do it's thing (blending front rear subs) was impossibly flat. Before the EQ it was more like I was expecting. I'll be more scientific next time. I did find the REW s/w quite easy to use after initial confusing setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

I can only imagine....and am very jealous:

To tell you the truth, I don't know if it was the wine or the extremely live room but I went to bed with a headache!

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #273 of 1151 Old 01-20-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Moggie I see that Fosi has a link to here on their website....man its a wonder you even talk to us anymore since you made it the big time

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #274 of 1151 Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool! I did send Cyr at Fosi a note to say thanks and that I was done.... all good for AVS Forum.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #275 of 1151 Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Didn't know if you had any up dates yet. I'm not even close to my own build so I have been living trough yours. Keep up the good work.

Jeff

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -- Winston Churchill
post #276 of 1151 Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Jeff, this is an automatic reply

I'm currently on vacation until Feb 2nd pursuing my flying hobby.

Theater progress will resume when I get back... taken some initial room measurements and I'm in the middle of acoustic treatment on the walls.

Thanks for checking in.

Cheers.

post #277 of 1151 Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Vertigo...

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #278 of 1151 Old 01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Great build. Love what you are doing with the place. Got an unfinished basement here that I am itching to start building once the economy picks up..
post #279 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Boy have I felt lazy lately... but the vacation has refreshed me and so I thought I'd post an update before I tear into the next phase.

Maybe it was the lack of oxygen flying at 6000' (higher than ever before) but I think I've gone full circle on the design goal of the Old Vic. Originally I was favoring what I would consider a traditional looking theater space but then decided I would go much more contemporary. Then, a dozen designs/sketches later, I'm back at a more traditional design. I don't know about the rest of you but creating a design that satisfies both myself and the wife and accommodates the acoustic design has given me more than a few headaches.

I still have some lingering concerns --
(i) can I avoid wall scones by incorporating some back lighting to the columns (in addition to soffit cans)?
(ii) two tone or single color fabric.
(iii) incorporate a rear barrel diffuser as original planned or hide some additional QRD diffusers behind the fabric.

but my wife and a couple of friends I shared it with think it is a classy look so until I completely change my mind this is likely to be it.
I'd be interested in what people think.

RIP
For posterity, here are a some of the layout's that were rejected. I was particularly happy with the third design with large back lit panels with cherry/walnut mix, but it was the wife's least favorite. The other one I liked (second to last) reminded me of Sandman's brilliant theater.

post #280 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would definitely do two colors. I like the top design although sometimes less is better. That is what I have planned for mine. I am going to do 2 pillars on each side with vertical panels about 3" thick to add some 3d feel to the wall. I havent decided on 1 or two panels in between each pillar yet though.

Don't second guess yourself too much. I have too much stress doing that myself.

Looking good

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #281 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Moggie
You know I'm a Huge fan of a two tone color on top of black with lots of stained wood so you know what design I'm rooting for. Is there anyway the columns could be placed at the recliner seating positions the one column all the way in the front just seems out of place.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #282 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Adam, Woolly, thanks for the feedback.

Adam, I agree about not second guessing yourself but when you are the only person involved with construction it's hard not to. Of course that's what AVS is all about.

Sounds like you both think the two tone is the way to go. I'm pretty sure on that point too and it seems pretty natural.

Woolly, that front column.... it's actually been bugging me a little too. It's placed to accommodate the 11.1 wiring (front wide) speaker but if I'm realistic it will probably never see a speaker. The closet opening on one side limits where it can go and still be symmetric. I could bring it back 4' and then move the rear side column back about 6-8". I wonder if this starting to put the side surrounds a little far back? I'll rearrange and post a sketch.

post #283 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Woolly, does this look better proportioned?

Edit: One thing I didn't mention is that this puts the column right in the middle of a good deal of the first reflection points whereas is was previously in front of them.

post #284 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't that put your column in the way of your component opening now?

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #285 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Doesn't that put your column in the way of your component opening now?

Actually this will work (+/- a couple of inches).

The closet is actually going to be storage/media library with single BD player. The rest of the components are outside of the theater.

post #286 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if I necessarily like the sconce placement either now that I look back at it. I also am currently setting up for 11.1 and you can place it behind the screen wall depending on the amount you leave room for and move the column.

I'm also unsure of the red color you have chosen

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #287 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

I don't know if I necessarily like the sconce placement either now that I look back at it. I also am currently setting up for 11.1 and you can place it behind the screen wall depending on the amount you leave room for and move the column.

I'm also unsure of the red color you have chosen

I think I'd rather have no scones although one possibility if I move the front column is to center scones on the two "intermediate" column/dividers. Anyone have a guide to how much lighting wattage to put into a theater room. (enough for the cleaning scene)?

I wouldn't read too much into the color chosen -- it was just a red hue from the Visio palette. The walls will be fabric and I have a bunch of samples on the way for final choice (not just reds).

post #288 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I get what your feeling on the sconces. I almost wanted some in my theater because of the lighting effect. You have to think about how the lights will light up around them and you want them to look symmetrical. If not I personally think it looks weird. I am going to have 550 watts powering a 22x19x7.5 room and my electrician said that that would be more than enough. All of that is in a can light around the soffits but I am using gimbal rings lights so I can aim the lighting.

Hope this helps.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #289 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Adam, yes that helps. I'm planning up to 18 small (3") cans. If I do them all and at 50W per can that's 900W. I was planning gimbal design so I can aim to spread light over the wall panels. I'm also have a soffit/beam above the bar area so can bring at least a few lights into the center of the room that way. Back to no scones then

post #290 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I hate scones too and get rid of those sconces while your at it. LOL I planned on my rope lighting filling in the middle. I am going to run two seperate lines of warm light for my tray ceiling and that on top of the can lights should be plenty. If I need more on the tray ceiling I may add more lines since I am going to paint my ceiling black and that will take alot of the light away.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #291 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

I was particularly happy with the third design with large back lit panels with cherry/walnut mix, but it was the wife's least favorite.

FWIW - I liked this one the best too. I'll try to incorporate something like this in my room. Thanks!

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #292 of 1151 Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM

I agree with the sconce comment. I like the light sconces put off, but in my last theater they were a distraction (to no one but me) while watching movies. If you decide on sconces, try to get a design that will minimize reflected light.

As far as designs go, I get distracted very easily by all the pretty trim and bright colors so I vote for the 2 color option but with very little "flare". Ok, I'm boring.
post #293 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the column locations in your third design (contemporary/backlit panels) the best. Would you consider using that column spacing with your current design? If you use that column spacing I would eliminate the vertical trim between the columns. All of those vertical elements might end up making the wall look crowded.

I love theaters that use stained wood and fabric panels but I'm not sure what you're planning for the wood trim. Are you thinking about flat stock with some kind of trim applied to the face? I would be worried about all the trim looking too busy. I would save the ornamentation for the columns -- make them special, dress them up nicely, and the focal points of the wall will be clear.

You have a fantastic space and I still can't believe what you went through to get it. Love the build!

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #294 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys -- great help (I think). Let me explain. I mentioned to my wife some of the feedback and clearly I've exhausted my Q&A for the week because she said something to the effect of "it's your b***dy theater not mine". I'll have to consult my marriage manual but I think that means I can open up the design choices again

So I'm back with these shortlist candidates.

1. Classic wood and panel. Wood would be stained cherry and the molding would be elaborate/busy -- think dentil detail on the crown, ornate chair rail, etc. To me this warrants a warm red tone and black seating. No sconces.

2. Contemporary large panel (disclaimer: I drew this from memory but found the original design that inspired me here). Wood probably would be mahogany with maple surrounding the large panels. The panels would be back lit so they would appear to float. Trim would be plain.

3. Modern with horizontal bands.
The upper portion of the columns would be back lit to throw light onto the panels. Wood would be cherry but I'm not sure about fabric color. Trim would be plain with simple radiused edges and I'd probably chamfer the edges of the panels to create some texture. Columns could also be round.

I realize that design is a very personal thing but your thoughts definitely help.

post #295 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats an easy vote to #2.

No need to consult the marriage handbook. You have her right where you want her. So confused and bogged down with info she just wants you to do everything.

Score 1 for Moggie

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #296 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I like #3 alot in this plan you get the columns lined up with both seating positions so you can hide your side surrounds if thats something you planned on doing.

#2 I think is just going to be too much black

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #297 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Those are the pretty much the colors I plan to go with, so I'm a bit biased.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #298 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm liking #2 as well.

Mike
post #299 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I vote for #3.
post #300 of 1151 Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com