I've been spending most of my time working on the ceiling, specifically the hardwood soffits / light trays. Progress has slowed a little since I've been enjoying the good weather and frankly have found working in the very dark theater a little depressing - flat black paint really does absorb light (and moral).
The soffit has two tiers fitted in sequence. The first layer is up and I'm about half way through the second. Here are some pics.
The first level has a double edge. I also made some cutouts to ensure I had the recommended spacing from the non-IC light fixtures I'm using. Also, I realized that at acute angles I would be able to see over the lower light tray and make out the light fixtures. The solution was to add a 1.5" vertical lip that would mask the lights.
The plan is to add walnut edge moldings to the maple flat work. This is the mock up I used to get the proportions correct although I'm still not quite sure on the actual edge profile and the picture shows offcuts roughly the correct size.
After the first level was fitted I moved on to the lower level. I wanted to do a good job on the critical joints so I built the largest size pieces my workshop would allow and them used my trusty drywall lift to hoist them into place. I also fitted a backing to help attach the rest of the moldings in an effort to minimize nail holes. On top of this I added some aluminium (British spelling there!) tape and two circuits of rope light clips.
It got to be a bit of squeeze but I managed to screw the tray into place by passing my impact driver in between the trays and screwing into the backside of the tray. The outer edge was attached with nails/screws placed at an angle into the side of the ply. The result is that there are no visible holes to fill.
Here's a shot of the front (boy am I sick of the curves ;-) before any finish has been applied. I'm pretty happy with the joints given how awkward this turned out to be.
Before completing the lower soffit at the rear I need to figure out the hush box. The plan is to have it partially hidden in the beam that runs behind the rear row of seats. I'm still not sure how low I want to mount the projector (or which projector I'm going to purchase) so at this point I concentrated on getting the mounting plate installed and coupling up the cooling vent. Here you can see how the upper light trays have been joined and a vent channel has been formed in the beam so I can suck air out of either the left or right side of the projector.
You have to imagine the walnut crowns and edging, but this pic gives a sense of how it is coming together.