Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1144 Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow - thanks once again for such great info and detail.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1144 Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Liked: 11
As usual Moggie, your progress and craftsmanship astounds me! I am really intrigued with the wide throw hinges. I thought I would have to treat my doors and leave an inch or so for them to close properly, but I will look into the wide throw hinges, thanks for the tip!
post #393 of 1144 Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
非常好和平常一样 Moggie

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #394 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

[img]
Tough break on the fan, but I think you should be successful with the Panasonic fan as others have been.

I didn't focus on sound proofing but since I have my projector in a soffit/shelf I did want to vent. I ran about 15' of flex duct with an inline duct fan in the mechanical room. With an attic thermostat this kicks on when it hits tempature and if I hold my hand agains the vent in the projector bay I can feel the air flow. From the HT I cannot hear the fan at all, but in the kitchen above I can hear a low hum as the fan is mounted in between a couple of joists below it. This I don't mind as it reassures me that the fan is kicking on. Usually hear when we go to get popcorn or something to snack during a movie break.

I should have really designed the fan to be outside the theater like you but I think the Panasonic fan is going to do the trick... I can't mount it in the normal fashion so I've completely taken it apart and converted it to a sort of inline fan. I'll know today if it has successful but so far so good. I will fit a cooling thermostat as well but my goal is undetectable fan noise.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #395 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Wow - thanks once again for such great info and detail.

No problem, it actually helps keep up my motivation to review what I've done and post a few pics every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post

I am really intrigued with the wide throw hinges. I thought I would have to treat my doors and leave an inch or so for them to close properly, but I will look into the wide throw hinges, thanks for the tip!

The biggest problem I had was finding the correct term for the hinges to search for them! I knew they existed but in my native England they are called something different. (BTW these are not "offset hinges" which a used to widen an open doorway by swinging the door away from the jam). Anyway, they work very well and come in several different "throws". The set I ordered could probably work with 2" of treatment but the next size smaller would have been too tight. The set I ordered also has ball bearings for a super smooth action. Let me know if you need help locating them and I'll dig out my receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

非常好和平常一样 Moggie

Ok, you stumped me -- you must be in China again!

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #396 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Ok, you stumped me -- you must be in China again!

"Very good as usual"

++1
post #397 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I like the light tray with the double rounded edges

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #398 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I went back to look through your whole build and realized how long I've been watching you work on this theater. I really love your build and cant wait to see the end product but I would be divorced if I took this long on my theater. I'm only 4 months in and my wife is ignoring me and complaining that it is taking way too long.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #399 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The biggest problem I had was finding the correct term for the hinges to search for them! I knew they existed but in my native England they are called something different.

I completely sympathize with you, Moggie. We lived in England for some years when we were first married and I think I most dreaded going to the ironmongers, where I inevitably ended up feeling such a twit because of the vast differences in names of tools and things.

Me: I'd like some wall anchors, please.

Ironmonger clerk: Anchors for your walls? Whatever for?

Me: I want to hang some new shelves on the wall.

Ironmonger clerk: Ah - you mean rawl plugs?

Me: Could be. And some spackle to fill in the old nail holes as well.

Ironmonger: That would be Pollyfilla.

Me: Obviously!

When it finally came time to pay I felt so stupid I was half tempted to just hold out my money and tell the gentleman to take whatever the right amount was.

Great build, by the way!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #400 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brad, Floyd, you are men of many talents and languages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I like the light tray with the double rounded edges

My wife liked that to but I need to incorporate a transition from maple to walnut to fit in with the whole scheme. The edges will be moldings added after the trays so I may just play with a few more profiles on the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

I went back to look through your whole build and realized how long I've been watching you work on this theater. I really love your build and cant wait to see the end product but I would be divorced if I took this long on my theater. I'm only 4 months in and my wife is ignoring me and complaining that it is taking way too long.

Hmmm, yeah I guess I have, but not as long as many. That said your pace is spectacular and I can't compete I keep jumping between projects since it's taken me 10 years to embark on a HT and I don't want to get bored and take shortcuts. I will be watching movies this summer though.

post #401 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I completely sympathize with you, Moggie. We lived in England for some years when we were first married and I think I most dreaded going to the ironmongers, where I inevitably ended up feeling such a twit because of the vast differences in names of tools and things.

Me: I'd like some wall anchors, please.

Ironmonger clerk: Anchors for your walls? Whatever for?

Me: I want to hang some new shelves on the wall.

Ironmonger clerk: Ah - you mean rawl plugs?

Me: Could be. And some spackle to fill in the old nail holes as well.

Ironmonger: That would be Pollyfilla.

Me: Obviously!

When it finally came time to pay I felt so stupid I was half tempted to just hold out my money and tell the gentleman to take whatever the right amount was.

Great build, by the way!

Stop it, you are making me homesick the funny thing is that I've lived in the US for 15 years but I'm still learning new terms. My daughter is is 3rd grade and I *just* figured out that a "check mark" means she got the answer wrong. In England, a "tick" means the answer is correct. Oops!

post #402 of 1144 Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally have a workable solution for my interior hush box fan. The previous in-line fan was hopeless, so I purchased the quietest bathroom fan I could find (the Panasonic FV08VQ3) and promptly tore it apart. I discarded the metal box, the grill, one mounting plate and the one-way valve and reassembled inside my sealed MDF box. The fan assembly was mounted directly to the original exhaust duct with sheet metal screws (for the square to round hole transition). Then this was suspended using neoprene mounts inside the box. Once the bottom cover was attached the fan creates a vacuum and pulls in air through the 5" intake pipe that leads to my hush box. At about 75% speed it is completely silent. At 100% I can just make out that it is running. My non-scientific test (using my aviation air speed indicator) suggests I can pull up to 75cfm which I believe is sufficient. I'm so glad I didn't have to rework the soffit to fit the fan outside the room.

I wasn't sure this was going to work -- but it did!

post #403 of 1144 Old 04-24-2010, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

You did make two of these so I could buy one from you right? LOL. I'm still wrestling with what I should do with my setup

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #404 of 1144 Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post

Lovin it Moggie!!!! The recesses for the LCR's are the knat's @$$. Really a clean look..

I wish you had finished your baffle wall before me, so I could have copied that feature.. But I can rest easy now knowing that I dont have to fear finishing anything else before you again. I can just sit back and plagarize

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #405 of 1144 Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
post #406 of 1144 Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Moggie,

Congrats on the successful rework of the Panasonic Whisper Quiet fan!

Seeing how you gutted the Panasonic chassis - a question.

Perhaps you could measure and tell me the exterior dimensions for the Panasonic chassis box (in other words; the rough-in dimensions)? I am thinking I want to replace my EQ room fan and need to determine if I have enough space, or if I need to make some modifications?

Thanks in Advance!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #407 of 1144 Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Seeing how you gutted the Panasonic chassis - a question.

Perhaps you could measure and tell me the exterior dimensions for the Panasonic chassis box (in other words; the rough-in dimensions)? I am thinking I want to replace my EQ room fan and need to determine if I have enough space, or if I need to make some modifications?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi Craig, the fan is already sealed and covered, but I know the chassis box for this model (FV08VQ3) is 10 7/8" by 10 7/8". It is approximately 9" deep. It has a 4" metal duct that protrudes slightly beyond the 11" square dimensions. The white vent trim cover is 13" square. I recall there being two larger capacity models that are also louder with a slightly larger rough in dimensions although all are designed to fit between standard 16" joists. I presume it is the depth dimension that is tight with you? Hope this helps.

post #408 of 1144 Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Great work Moggie! The cleanliness of your build is amazing it makes mine look like a tornado came through my theater... I can barely walk around in it right now!

My (Old) Theater Build Thread

Samsung UN75-F6400 | Denon 2313CI | Def Tech BP8060 | Def Tech CS8060 | Def Tech SR8080 

post #409 of 1144 Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

I wish you had finished your baffle wall before me, so I could have copied that feature.. But I can rest easy now knowing that I dont have to fear finishing anything else before you again. I can just sit back and plagarize

I doubt it Brad. My bet is that you come up with a dozen ideas that I'll wish I thought of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJ View Post

Great work Moggie! The cleanliness of your build is amazing it makes mine look like a tornado came through my theater... I can barely walk around in it right now!

Thanks, but I generally take photos at the end of the day after I've cleaned up. That said, I'm fortunate that my shop is right next to the theater so I'm usually able to keep the theater clean.

post #410 of 1144 Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Brought to you by.....

LOL

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #411 of 1144 Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Craig, the fan is already sealed and covered, but I know the chassis box for this model (FV08VQ3) is 10 7/8" by 10 7/8". It is approximately 9" deep. It has a 4" metal duct that protrudes slightly beyond the 11" square dimensions. The white vent trim cover is 13" square. I recall there being two larger capacity models that are also louder with a slightly larger rough in dimensions although all are designed to fit between standard 16" joists. I presume it is the depth dimension that is tight with you? Hope this helps.

Moggie,

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #412 of 1144 Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Any updates on this thread?

Thoroughly enjoying following this...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #413 of 1144 Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Any updates on this thread?

Thoroughly enjoying following this...

Glad that you are following (and enjoying). I must admit to having a touch of burnout lately but I have made some progress that I can post. I'll gather the pics...

post #414 of 1144 Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been spending most of my time working on the ceiling, specifically the hardwood soffits / light trays. Progress has slowed a little since I've been enjoying the good weather and frankly have found working in the very dark theater a little depressing - flat black paint really does absorb light (and moral).

The soffit has two tiers fitted in sequence. The first layer is up and I'm about half way through the second. Here are some pics.

The first level has a double edge. I also made some cutouts to ensure I had the recommended spacing from the non-IC light fixtures I'm using. Also, I realized that at acute angles I would be able to see over the lower light tray and make out the light fixtures. The solution was to add a 1.5" vertical lip that would mask the lights.

The plan is to add walnut edge moldings to the maple flat work. This is the mock up I used to get the proportions correct although I'm still not quite sure on the actual edge profile and the picture shows offcuts roughly the correct size.

After the first level was fitted I moved on to the lower level. I wanted to do a good job on the critical joints so I built the largest size pieces my workshop would allow and them used my trusty drywall lift to hoist them into place. I also fitted a backing to help attach the rest of the moldings in an effort to minimize nail holes. On top of this I added some aluminium (British spelling there!) tape and two circuits of rope light clips.

It got to be a bit of squeeze but I managed to screw the tray into place by passing my impact driver in between the trays and screwing into the backside of the tray. The outer edge was attached with nails/screws placed at an angle into the side of the ply. The result is that there are no visible holes to fill.

Here's a shot of the front (boy am I sick of the curves ;-) before any finish has been applied. I'm pretty happy with the joints given how awkward this turned out to be.

Before completing the lower soffit at the rear I need to figure out the hush box. The plan is to have it partially hidden in the beam that runs behind the rear row of seats. I'm still not sure how low I want to mount the projector (or which projector I'm going to purchase) so at this point I concentrated on getting the mounting plate installed and coupling up the cooling vent. Here you can see how the upper light trays have been joined and a vent channel has been formed in the beam so I can suck air out of either the left or right side of the projector.

You have to imagine the walnut crowns and edging, but this pic gives a sense of how it is coming together.

post #415 of 1144 Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Awesome work on the soffit Moggie.
post #416 of 1144 Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 AM

Great stuff moggie!! Great work and excellent pics as usual!

Simon
post #417 of 1144 Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
We have a Master Craftsman among us!!!

Awesome work man! I love it. The curves do get tiring during the process but the end result is fantaboulos!! (I haven't used that word often, it is reserved for great results and efforts such as yours)

I understand on the getting burn't out aspect, I would get lows of 3-4 months at a time. Spending most of your off time down in the dungeon, especially during the nice weather is tough, and I would want no part of it. Once you get going again though, motivation seeps back. Just keep at it, even if it's a little at a time.
post #418 of 1144 Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

This awesome craftsmanship, after visiting this thread; I become ashamed of what is hidden behind my drapes, my GOM, and my drywall..

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #419 of 1144 Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Awesome work on the soffit Moggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZorTT View Post

Great stuff moggie!! Great work and excellent pics as usual!

Simon

Thanks guys. I feel some motivation being restored!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

We have a Master Craftsman among us!!!

Awesome work man! I love it. The curves do get tiring during the process but the end result is fantaboulos!! (I haven't used that word often, it is reserved for great results and efforts such as yours)

Fantaboulos hey. Can't wait to experience that

post #420 of 1144 Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

This awesome craftsmanship, after visiting this thread; I become ashamed of what is hidden behind my drapes, my GOM, and my drywall..

Craig, your work is awesome. I particularly liked the stair rails you put in, I even bookmarked it!

I've said it before but I'm in awe of some of the work and skills on this forum. It is really helping me to do the best job I can.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page