Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1144 Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
This HT building thing had been a great challenge and in some ways I'm sad that I can see the end of the tunnel.
You're SAD that it's almost done? You can come down and help me finish mine. Then mine can look as good as yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1144 Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post

You're SAD that it's almost done? You can come down and help me finish mine. Then mine can look as good as yours.

I guess sad is not quite the right word, but I am building the HT myself primarily because I really enjoy this kind of work rather than to save costs. Although I can now see the end there is still quite a bit of work to do. I'm also planning a pneumatic sliding ticket both door in the entrance

If you were closer, I would give you a hand...

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #633 of 1144 Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM

A pneumatic ticket booth will be impressive, especially if you can make it sound like Darth Vader when activated!

I shouldn't complain, I'm not all that far from finishing my room, I'm just a bit burned out. I have my carpet on order and I have been going at the fabric frames. I still hope to be done, or at least very close to being done by the end of the year.
post #634 of 1144 Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Another great update..although my experience with 701 has been limited to staring at a roll in the corner of my office for a year, I'd have to say your arch is a fantastic piece of work. The seam is virtually invisible in your pictures. (nice touch with the fluting on your corner trims too)

Your theater is quite the accomplishment and quite the change from a crawl space.. Its one thing to DIY an empty basement or extra room, but while watching your build I've often wondered about the first reactions you received from your friends and family when you announced that you were gonna dig a BIG hole under your house for a theater.

Quote:

As for the columns, I haven't really started work on them but have a design in mind: walnut sides, low profile at bottom and widening at top (similar idea to Ronnie Jackson's), black GOM center and some lighting effect The problem I'm having is making sure the side dispersion of the speakers is not interfered with. I'll probably mock up in sketch-up so I'll post those soon.

Cheers.

I've always been partial to the concept Ronnie came up with too, and I'm looking forward to seeing them with the "Moggie" touch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post

I still hope to be done, or at least very close to being done by the end of the year.

Me tooo Tom!! .. I just dont know which one...

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #635 of 1144 Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
So I've got a similar situation under my house. But I have a full theater on the main floor so I'm not interested in doing a theater. But useful room... yeah... like my 1750 sq ft garage is not enough!

Did you have to have this engineered and permitted? I assume you did.

One of the best, most complete builds I've ever seen on AVS, btw... really stellar craftmanship, materials selection and design. It's very inspiring!
post #636 of 1144 Old 11-17-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Your theater is quite the accomplishment and quite the change from a crawl space.. Its one thing to DIY an empty basement or extra room, but while watching your build I've often wondered about the first reactions you received from your friends and family when you announced that you were gonna dig a BIG hole under your house for a theater.

Funny you should mention that. Some of the neighbors who knew the house before I moved in were shocked the other day when I said "let me show you down stairs", they thought I was going to show them the garage! Needless to say it was great to see their reaction followed by the "I wonder if I could do that under my house" sentiments.

When I look back it has been a long road from the original starting point to today:

Now that the wall coverings are up it makes the room look less complete in a way. I really need to build the columns to separate the large expanse of color and to tie the floor and ceiling together. I'm on a push now until Christmas... neighbors are waiting for the official movie night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

So I've got a similar situation under my house. But I have a full theater on the main floor so I'm not interested in doing a theater. But useful room... yeah... like my 1750 sq ft garage is not enough!

Did you have to have this engineered and permitted? I assume you did.

One of the best, most complete builds I've ever seen on AVS, btw... really stellar craftmanship, materials selection and design. It's very inspiring!

Thanks. I swore to myself I'd never talk about the planning and permit office in this thread... I deal with them but don't have a good relationship. But to your specific question, I had two engineers determine the plan for the basement excavation. Obviously my house was resting on it so I didn't take any chances. While I was going through the process I watched a nearby construction project lift up an old house, put it on sliders, moved it out of the way and then replace it without damage after laying pipework. It's amazing what can be done if you are determined.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #637 of 1144 Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Liked: 10
Looking awesome!! Love the mulberry color. Great work and craftsmanship!

For the photos, you can purchase a small photo gray card. You use the gray card to set the white balance on your camera and then your colors will come out pretty close to accurate.

Robert
post #638 of 1144 Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Wow, man, what a Hurculean undertaking. Digging out a basement is one thing. Building a theater is another. Building an EPIC theater still another... but all three? My hat's off to ya, brother. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of this one. If that were my theater, I wouldn't move unless my house burned down!

John
post #639 of 1144 Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post

Looking awesome!! Love the mulberry color.

You would say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post

For the photos, you can purchase a small photo gray card. You use the gray card to set the white balance on your camera and then your colors will come out pretty close to accurate.

I have a lot to learn about photography... your comment inspired me to find out how to use such a card and now I think I get it. I also found that photoshop has an easy to use color correction capability that can apply a previously stored correction resulting from a photograph of the grey card under similar lighting conditions. So I might be able to fix up previous photos. Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbomb View Post

Wow, man, what a Hurculean undertaking. Digging out a basement is one thing. Building a theater is another. Building an EPIC theater still another... but all three? My hat's off to ya, brother. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of this one. If that were my theater, I wouldn't move unless my house burned down!

John

Thanks John. My wife did think the whole concept was a little crazy but as soon as the hole under the house was dug, she was on board. BTW I have no intention of moving at least until my daughter is through college. It would take a fire, or more appropriately where I live, an earthquake to part me with this room. In fact in the event of a quake I'm heading INTO this room

post #640 of 1144 Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It would take a fire, or more appropriately where I live, an earthquake to part me with this room. In fact in the event of a quake I'm heading INTO this room

You a West Coaster? I'm just North of SF myself. Yeah... we've got earthquakes AND fires!
post #641 of 1144 Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just plain stunning! Love the archways!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #642 of 1144 Old 11-18-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You a West Coaster? I'm just North of SF myself. Yeah... we've got earthquakes AND fires!
About 80 miles south of SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
Just plain stunning! Love the archways!
Hey, you're back. Missed your regular updates.

post #643 of 1144 Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
About 80 miles south of SF.
Cool! I had a beach house in Santa Cruz from '94 to '04. LOVED it! MISS it! But it had no place for a home theater, so I had to move so I could build a house with one!

It's not quite done. It's been usable for 3 years, so finish work stopped after the carpet and sound treatment went in. I fell into "the" trap. We just love it and use it every weekend. But your thread is so completely inspiring I gotta get 'er dun! My g'friend wants a star ceiling. I've GOT to show her yours!
post #644 of 1144 Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool! I had a beach house in Santa Cruz from '94 to '04. LOVED it! MISS it! But it had no place for a home theater, so I had to move so I could build a house with one!

It's not quite done. It's been usable for 3 years, so finish work stopped after the carpet and sound treatment went in. I fell into "the" trap. We just love it and use it every weekend. But your thread is so completely inspiring I gotta get 'er dun! My g'friend wants a star ceiling. I've GOT to show her yours!
You are very welcome to stop by. PM me if you are interested. Of course I can only play music at the moment...

post #645 of 1144 Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Wow. I had forgotten the humble beginnings of your adventure, until I saw your recent retrospective post. Overall, yup, I'd say you improved the space a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

But I might be able to run the lower panel that forms the bottom of the tray further back on the soffit, and put the lights inside the soffit, but away from insulation...

I'm back again. When I have questions about soffits, I come to the master.

So what I described above is what I'm doing now - had another question though. The instructions are explicit about keeping 3" from insulation, and 1/2" from framing - but in my case, the ceiling (soffit bottom) that they'll be mounted on is plywood (I believe yours ride right on wood as well right?). I'm worried that that in itself could be a fire hazard, although the directions didn't mention anything about "only use on a drywall ceiling, not wood". What do you think?

Also, mine will be in the soffit, so potentially more heat buildup compared to yours in the tray.

Not sure what else I can do though - especially since I've already cut the holes in the plywood, and was planning on wiring them tomorrow. I wonder if the inspector will have an issue with it as well.

Edit: maybe if I actually read the instructions more carefully:

Sorry for the thread jack - no wait, its just a bump for one of my favorite builds.
post #646 of 1144 Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Brad,

I didn't reply last night because I wanted to check the instructions that came with my cans. My recollection was that a wood mounting surface was ok and your edited post confirmed that. The cans do get quite hot well on full power (which is probably quite uncommon in a dedicated HT) for an extended period of time. Personally, I would not mount them on a fabric surface but a wood tray is fine. Even though mine are mounted on my soffit tray, the tray is not as open as you might think so I bet it is similar to your installation. The bottom line is that as long as you keep the area behind the cans clear they will be fine.

Whilst talking about lighting and safety, I recently made a change to one of my lighting circuits: I have a larger non-IC 50W halogen that IS mounted so that it just touches my GOM ceiling in my alcove. This was a separate circuit and operated by an illuminated switch on the wall in the alcove. I worried about accidently leaving this light on over night. The solution was to tie the circuit into an unused zone on my GE that was configured for simple on/off operation. Now the wall switch is still used to turn the light on and off but the circuit only gets power if the HT is in use. I can sleep better now...

Cheers.

post #647 of 1144 Old 11-20-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally, I would not mount them on a fabric surface but a wood tray is fine.

Although I'd love to veneer the tray, its not in the budget ;-) - maybe I'll put a fabric sample on the stove as a test. Thanks for the help!
post #648 of 1144 Old 11-20-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Although I'd love to veneer the tray, its not in the budget ;-) - maybe I'll put a fabric sample on the stove as a test. Thanks for the help!

Well it's just my opinion because although many of the GOM fabrics are fire retardant I know that FR701 melts. However there is no reason why you couldn't cut some wooden rings (perhaps out of masonite) to separate the lights from the fabric. You could even make that into a cool design feature. I forget whose thread I saw it done..

post #649 of 1144 Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it's just my opinion because although many of the GOM fabrics are fire retardant I know that FR701 melts. However there is no reason why you couldn't cut some wooden rings (perhaps out of masonite) to separate the lights from the fabric. You could even make that into a cool design feature. I forget whose thread I saw it done..

Hmm I'll give ghat some thought, sounds interesting - the rings would have to be very thin though, since the plywood "ceiling" is already 1/2", and the cans can't go very deep.
post #650 of 1144 Old 11-25-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I watched video in the old vic last night ... but it's not quite what you think. Before covering up the walls in the alcove I thought it would be a good idea to add a small screen to allow setup/messing without having to fire up the projector. I found the cheapest 1080p 15" screen I could find (a whooping $115) and added a mounting point in the only spot it would fit (above the GE controllers).

Then fitted the panels and mounted the screen.

I also managed to finish up all the remaining fabric panels behind the screen wall (corner traps, ceiling)

I had to do a little work on the door handle to accommodate the extra thickness of the door before finishing those panels, but I also wanted to leave some options open for additional sound isolation such as additional seals. I expected the door to be the weakest link but I had higher expectations (but I do have some ideas..)

I made a mistake when ordering the door and didn't opt for a larger setback (to allow room for bulky seals, etc) so I rectified that mistake by filling, then re-boring. It also occurred to me that door handle hole is a decent sized hole in the aquarium covered by flimsy decorative covers, so I partially filled it. The filler has the added advantage of locating the handle so don't spin relative to one another. This function is normally accomplished by interlocking parts, but when the handle is stretched to fit a thick door the parts no longer interlock. BTW the plate on the outside of the door is a temporary spacer -- more on that to follow.

The core was extended by welding parts from a old handle I had lying around with an additional metal dowel.

Here's how the (hidden) door looks after the final cloth panel was added.

The only thing left to do is make a custom door catch plate to replace my ghetto version -- need to find a tiny piece of sheet stainless steel.

post #651 of 1144 Old 11-25-2010, 05:43 AM

That door looks fabulous!
post #652 of 1144 Old 11-25-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received my last order from monoprice, a replacement HDMI cable to replace the one I drilled through So I could finally tidy up the rack wiring.

Dialed in the thermostat to 85 degrees:

The one thing I've got left to do is build a dual 20A trigger outlet so I can completely automate the power cycle of the amps that lack a built in trigger.

post #653 of 1144 Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Excellent work! (as you always do) That's a great idea on the door. Did you do the welding too?
post #654 of 1144 Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

"The filler has the added advantage of locating the handle so don't spin relative to one another. This function is normally accomplished by interlocking parts, but when the handle is stretched to fit a thick door the parts no longer interlock." --- Brilliant solution.. Kudos on the door, its looks phenomenal!!..

What did you do for your threshold?

Brad.

post #655 of 1144 Old 11-27-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Excellent work! (as you always do) That's a great idea on the door. Did you do the welding too?

Of course! Actually I was lucky enough to buy a totally over the top TIG welder for a ridiculously low price from a bike factory when in closed about 10 years ago...

Quote:

"The filler has the added advantage of locating the handle so don't spin relative to one another. This function is normally accomplished by interlocking parts, but when the handle is stretched to fit a thick door the parts no longer interlock." --- Brilliant solution.. Kudos on the door, its looks phenomenal!!..

What did you do for your threshold?

Brad.

I embedded a drop down seal I purchased from Ted White. As the close reaches its last few inches of travel the plunger on the hinge side causes the neoprene seal to drop about 3/8"-1/2" sealing against the hardwood insert in the floor. I know it seals pretty well (and that my room is airtight) because I tried an experiment and nearly got temporarily stuck in the room -- I covered the return vents, had the A/C fan on full and shut the door (actually it slammed itself shut). I could then listen for any leaks around the door. The problem was that the door was nearly impossible to open against the air pressure built up in the room . I needed two hands to pull it open.

post #656 of 1144 Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
post #657 of 1144 Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The problem was that the door was nearly impossible to open against the air pressure built up in the room . I needed two hands to pull it open.

Funny, You could have been stuck in there all day "Screaming" for help and no one would have heard you...

post #658 of 1144 Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Funny, You could have been stuck in there all day "Screaming" for help and no one would have heard you...

Haaa, that made me lol!
post #659 of 1144 Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

What kind of door did you end up getting? Or did you also build the door yourself?
Awesome work... Everyone else has said it, but it's worth repeating.
post #660 of 1144 Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 AM

What are the dimensions of that door? Looks like a real beast... I really like how you've blended that in with the rest of the room - I'm looking to do something very similar.

AWESOME work!! Your craftsmanship is superior!! I can only hope mine turns out half as nice.

Please check out my FlyingCheese Theater build thread. I need followers to answer my questions!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page