Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Super job. I could not hear in the video how loud the masking system is. It moves very quickly, unlike some of the other systems I've seen.

Again, well done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

You hit it out of the park! The mask system is simply Brilliant!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #753 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
WOW......SIMPLY WOW! This is AMAZING work and you have REALLY set the bar high. Great job

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #754 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Amazing work. I love this place.
post #755 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Beats the hell out my "drawer slide" idea for masking

Hats off to ya Paul!!

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #756 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Awesome job on the masking Moggie! Doesn't get any better than that.
post #757 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Beats the hell out my "drawer slide" idea for masking

Hats off to ya Paul!!

Exactly what I was thinking! Talk about feeling inadequate! But really really cool deal you cooked up here

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #758 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Moggie,

Congrats on the screen/masking system - VERY NICE!!
So what's the hold-up with your PJ?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #759 of 1151 Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for the feedback! The masking system was a challenge and took quite a bit of effort, but I'm sure you obsessed bunch of DIY AV addicts will agree that the end result makes you forget all the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh285 View Post

Super job. I could not hear in the video how loud the masking system is. It moves very quickly, unlike some of the other systems I've seen.

It is extremely quiet, much quieter than any commercial system I've seen. I'm guessing that one reason is that it doesn't have long stretches of wire than can vibrate. The bungy cord spring idea worked well. I'm using 2" tubes which result in quite a fast system. In retrospect I could have used the smaller motors (which are low voltage) and allow 1.5" rollers. This would have saved a little money and made the system slower. There again the more winds of material the less accurate the system is likely to be.. if I were a screen building company I'd experiment more, but I'm DONE with this part of the build.

I don't know the repeatibility and accuracy of commercial system, but I'm getting better than 1/4" which seems very reasonable given my approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

So what's the hold-up with your PJ?

I wish I knew. Can't say too much or AVS might ban me But I pre-ordered mid October for delivery around Christmas. Over two weeks ago I was told if was on its way. I still haven't even been charged... No doubt JVC can't keep up with demand, but it's frustrating to wait now that I otherwise have a movie capable theater (even if not quite finished).

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #760 of 1151 Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Exemplary! - smooth as 18 year old Talisker.

John
post #761 of 1151 Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
A great theater likes this deserves a great projector - I can feel it on it's way now, it's on the truck rounding the corner at the end for your street...
post #762 of 1151 Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbomb View Post

Exemplary! - smooth as 18 year old Talisker.

Never tried Talisker, but have an open bottle of Glenfiddich..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

A great theater likes this deserves a great projector - I can feel it on it's way now, it's on the truck rounding the corner at the end for your street...

I wish. It must be a windy road to my house with a LOT of corners. Mine you, after the projector I'll be waiting on the anamorphic lens

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #763 of 1151 Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Pardon me if I missed it, but what A-lens have you decided on?

Please check out my FlyingCheese Theater build thread. I need followers to answer my questions!!
post #764 of 1151 Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm 90% sure it will be the yet to be released Prismasonic cylindrical discussed here. Due out in 1 month. If not, then the CrystalMorphic 5E.

I'll happily just zoom until I decide.

post #765 of 1151 Old 03-10-2011, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I've gone through countless build threads and I have to say this one is by far the most impressive and one of the very few I'd love to actually see in person.

It's sad to think once it's completed and you have people over to actually use it, I'm sure they'll be completely oblivious to all the hard work you actually put into it and I'm sure they'll have no idea the ingenuity and genius you've created to build this amazing theater.

I really hope the final product is everything you want and then some because you totally deserve it. I hope when I own a home and can actually build a theater it'll be half as nice as yours. Give me about ten years. I still need to finish college...two more semesters to go.

Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #766 of 1151 Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Moggie - Your build is amazing, one of my favorites here. Now that your screen is up I was just wondering if you've noticed any movement of the screen from the IB subs. I'm putting my baffle wall up right now and my screen is going to be at least partially in front of the sub manifolds. I'll have about 18" or so between the screen and the subs. My screen will be AT but I want to avoid any issues.
post #767 of 1151 Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It's sad to think once it's completed and you have people over to actually use it, I'm sure they'll be completely oblivious to all the hard work you actually put into it and I'm sure they'll have no idea the ingenuity and genius you've created to build this amazing theater.
This is an interesting point. My theater is nowhere near Moggie's. But I did build my own screen, speakers, IB subwoofers and equipment room/racks. I put it together so it all disappears. The speakers are hidden behind the AT screen, all the equipment, including the pj is in a projection booth, the subwoofer is hidden under the screen. The audience is unaware of any of it except what's at center stage: the presentation. The technology disappears and makes way for the art. So, for me at least, if the audience is unaware of the technical aspects, it's a success. If they are curious I can show them "behind the curtain". But usually they don't even think of asking.

It adds to the magic of movies.
post #768 of 1151 Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I've gone through countless build threads and I have to say this one is by far the most impressive and one of the very few I'd love to actually see in person.

I really hope the final product is everything you want and then some because you totally deserve it. I hope when I own a home and can actually build a theater it'll be half as nice as yours. Give me about ten years. I still need to finish college...two more semesters to go.

Good Luck!

Thanks!! The thing is that I actually waited 10 years to start my build. Of course my original plans were not quite so ambitious. But over the years my desires grew stronger and fortunately my available funds grew too. I love movies but I also LOVE the concept of a dedicated home theater which although more commonplace now was so ridiculously over the top when I first got interested in it. For me the learning and challenges of the DIY build have been so much fun and the net result is that I'm going to enjoy the fruits so much more. Keep the dream.. "if you build it, they will come"

BTW if you are ever in the bay area (south of San Francisco) ping me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Moggie - Your build is amazing, one of my favorites here. Now that your screen is up I was just wondering if you've noticed any movement of the screen from the IB subs. I'm putting my baffle wall up right now and my screen is going to be at least partially in front of the sub manifolds. I'll have about 18" or so between the screen and the subs. My screen will be AT but I want to avoid any issues.

I have yet to project an image at the screen (projector still hasn't arrived) but I've played a lot of loud music, movie sound track of explosions, etc and I can't see any movement in the screen whatsoever. My IB manifolds do clear the screen but there are builds around hear (BigRed for example) that have partially covered the subs without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

This is an interesting point. My theater is nowhere near Moggie's. But I did build my own screen, speakers, IB subwoofers and equipment room/racks. I put it together so it all disappears. The speakers are hidden behind the AT screen, all the equipment, including the pj is in a projection booth, the subwoofer is hidden under the screen. The audience is unaware of any of it except what's at center stage: the presentation. The technology disappears and makes way for the art. So, for me at least, if the audience is unaware of the technical aspects, it's a success. If they are curious I can show them "behind the curtain". But usually they don't even think of asking.

It adds to the magic of movies.

My plan is to put together a little movie of my own -- the building of the Old Vic. Figured it would be great to show guests before the movie and then after their jaw drops (particularly at the amount of time I've spent on it) I'll start the show... but I'm really getting ahead of myself since I still need to get the projector up, finish the bar and columns.. In case regular readers are wondering, I've had much less time recently than last year but I should be able to show progress soon and post in that elusive "show me your completed theater thread".

Cheers.

post #769 of 1151 Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

My plan is to put together a little movie of my own -- the building of the Old Vic. Figured it would be great to show guests before the movie and then after their jaw drops (particularly at the amount of time I've spent on it)

You'll have to post that. I'm sure we all will love to see it!

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #770 of 1151 Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Nice Room! Keep up the good work!
post #771 of 1151 Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Moggie - I was just wondering how much green glue you used per sheet for each layer. It looks to me like you did green glue in between the OSB and Drywall and then also on the second layer. Did you use the 2 tubes per sheet on each layer?

For My IB chamber I ended up doing the 2 tubes per sheet for both layers (i used buckets) I was wondering whether this was overdoing it and am considering whether I should reduce that down to 1.5 tubes per sheet per layer for the rest of of the room. The chamber ended up taking nearly 2 full buckets.

I was also wondering how the soundproofing is working with the IB subs cranked up.
post #772 of 1151 Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First I would like to say that the room and the craftsmanship is outstanding. Have you received your projector yet? I am really interested in seeing the final product along with your masking system in operation.

Bob
post #773 of 1151 Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Moggie - I was just wondering how much green glue you used per sheet for each layer. It looks to me like you did green glue in between the OSB and Drywall and then also on the second layer. Did you use the 2 tubes per sheet on each layer?

For My IB chamber I ended up doing the 2 tubes per sheet for both layers (i used buckets) I was wondering whether this was overdoing it and am considering whether I should reduce that down to 1.5 tubes per sheet per layer for the rest of of the room. The chamber ended up taking nearly 2 full buckets.

I was also wondering how the soundproofing is working with the IB subs cranked up.

Green Glue ... that is such a distant memory now. I used the fast dispense system from 5 gallon buckets. If I recall I used 2.5 guns per 4x10' sheet of drywall, so 2 guns per 4x8' sheet. I did do a three layer skin (osb+gg+dw+gg+dw) and the results are very good. My door is the weakest link by far but despite that I can crank up the sound as loud as I can bare (which feels like the room is falling apart) with my wife watching a movie in bed two stories above and she can't hear me. The room above experiences a dull thud. More importantly, when I'm inside the theater it feels like sensory deprivation since I can't hear any environmental sounds. Mission accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoblK View Post

First I would like to say that the room and the craftsmanship is outstanding. Have you received your projector yet? I am really interested in seeing the final product along with your masking system in operation.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Projector... grumble grumble grumble. Well I had a nice projector hung a few weeks back - a JVC RS50. The image quality was awesome with perfect focus, convergence and very good color. It looked great on my screen. The problem was that it is no where near as bright as JVC claim and IMO less bright than last years RS25/35. Although on high lamp it was bright enough I knew I'd have nowhere to go as the lamp dimmed. So, after waiting since October '10, I sent it back with 3.5 hours on the bulb. In that time I was able to measure the brightness and watch one movie with my family: the latest Star Trek. Those couple of hours were perfect... Presently I'm waiting on a replacement RS40. The consensus is that it is a good 30% brighter than the RS50 and a whole lot less money if I decided to upgrade it 12-24 months from now (there's got to be a reasonably priced and bright LED/laser projector by then).

So here I sit, embarrassed to post much because of my distinct slow down in progress. Actually I have not been completely idle. I have set up a 16Tb nas and Dune streaming media system, finished the screen wall, built a prototype column (not in Walnut yet), added an in line fan to my HVAC return to keep air movement prior to the A/C kicking in and ordered cool parts for my pneumatic sliding hidden entrance Absent of video, I started playing with audio and hooked up a couple of Audessey DSX wide speakers. They are not quite at the recommended angle, but geez they sound great! I wasn't expecting much given that I thought the room already sounded pretty good but I afraid they are here to stay now. The soundstage doubled in size and with the lights completely out I completely lost myself in the room (seriously, I couldn't find the door ) Now I have to figure out something for the frontmost columns / proscenium to hide them.

Oh, and I joined NetFlix!

Cheers.

post #774 of 1151 Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Green Glue ... that is such a distant memory now. I used the fast dispense system from 5 gallon buckets. If I recall I used 2.5 guns per 4x10' sheet of drywall, so 2 guns per 4x8' sheet. I did do a three layer skin (osb+gg+dw+gg+dw) and the results are very good. My door is the weakest link by far but despite that I can crank up the sound as loud as I can bare (which feels like the room is falling apart) with my wife watching a movie in bed two stories above and she can't hear me. The room above experiences a dull thud. More importantly, when I'm inside the theater it feels like sensory deprivation since I can't hear any environmental sounds. Mission accomplished.

I guess I'll stick to what I am doing then. Looks like Ill be ordering another couple of buckets of Green Glue
post #775 of 1151 Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Your a funny guy Moggie,

Lack of progress my foot! You just described a few months worth of work for some of us..

Tell us a little bit about your NAS. I just recently got the WDTV Live plus and need a storage solution.
post #776 of 1151 Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Your a funny guy Moggie,

Lack of progress my foot! You just described a few months worth of work for some of us..

Exactly what I was thinking, his slowing down is going full bore for many of us.
Too bad to hear about the RS50, I've been following the lumen output debacle with those and was wondering what you would do. Not sure what JVC was thinking releasing a PJ that costs that much but can only reasonably be used on a <100" screen. Hope the RS40 works out. There's no way I could be that patient with a completed theater room and no PJ. I'd have overnighted whatever readily available PJ that would light up the screen.
post #777 of 1151 Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Tell us a little bit about your NAS. I just recently got the WDTV Live plus and need a storage solution.

Sorry, been away on business. The NAS is a QNAP TS-859pro+, it is the largest of their non rackable form factor which has the benefit of really quiet fans. I populated it with 8 x 2Tb Seagate Barracuda Green drives (ST2000DL003) configured with RAID6. These drives are great -- fairly quick and very quiet and cool running. There's a good review here.

You can see the Dune HD Smart D1 below the NAS. I'm using the Zapitti (http://zappiti.com/index.htm) media center skin which works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader View Post

I'd have overnighted whatever readily available PJ that would light up the screen.

I've been tempted! Thing is I'm still waiting for the a-lens as well so it's not as bad as it seems. Also I'm very stubborn -- ask my wife.

post #778 of 1151 Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a couple of pics of the screen wall covering. Basically a couple of simple fabric covered frames bent into place and held in place with patches of velcro every 12". The front sides of the frames were painted black to prevent show through. The back lit IB subs are still very easy to see when I want to.

The side panels either side of the screen were made the same way but are just pressed into place with a couple of pull loops so I can easily get to behind the screen.

post #779 of 1151 Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Looks fabulous, as usual Moggie! One easy question for you: how are you configuring your Sonos sytem within the HT? Do you have one of your zone players connected to any of your HT speakers? And if so, how did you go about wiring those speakers for 'double duty'? I love my Sonos but so far have kept my HT and my Sonos separate.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #780 of 1151 Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Here's a couple of pics of the screen wall covering. Basically a couple of simple fabric covered frames bent into place and held in place with patches of velcro every 12". The front sides of the frames were painted black to prevent show through. The back lit IB subs are still very easy to see when I want to.

The side panels either side of the screen were made the same way but are just pressed into place with a couple of pull loops so I can easily get to behind the screen.

Nice work Moggie! Almost there What thickness of wood did you use for the panel that's under your screen? I'll be doing the exact same thing but I thought any wood I use would simply pop back off as velcro (I thought) wouldn't be strong enough.

David
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page