Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1151 Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Moggie,

Love the led lighting in the columns. I'm working on a lighting plan now. I noticed it doesn't look like you put any cans or other lights inside of your star ceiling. I'm debating whether or not to add them to mine. I'm just wondering if your soffit lighting lights up the center of the room enough to easily read from a book. Not that I plan on reading, it's just nice to be able to easily see something if the need arises. Thanks for any input.

Mario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1151 Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Moggie,

Love the led lighting in the columns. I'm working on a lighting plan now. I noticed it doesn't look like you put any cans or other lights inside of your star ceiling. I'm debating whether or not to add them to mine. I'm just wondering if your soffit lighting lights up the center of the room enough to easily read from a book. Not that I plan on reading, it's just nice to be able to easily see something if the need arises. Thanks for any input.

Hi Mario, With all my cans full on I could read a book (or more likely a manual ) whilst sitting in any seat. It would probably cause eye strain after a while because I wouldn't call it bright. In my case I do have cans over the rear bar area. These cans are on a separate GE zone so this can be lit independently -- the idea was that my family could be watching movie from the front seats whilst catch up with a late dinner at the bar. That said, the main reason I didn't put cans in the center of the ceiling was to remove the complexities in keeping a high quality of soundproofing through the ceiling.

I think I mentioned this before but one big change was painting the walls black and then fitting the fabric walls. The room was very bright with white drywall walls but dimmed considerably after paint/treatment.

Cheers.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #813 of 1151 Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
are those thin strip lights from ikea? i've been searching those and i think ikea has something the ones you have pictured that can change color.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #814 of 1151 Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

are those thin strip lights from ikea? i've been searching those and i think ikea has something the ones you have pictured that can change color.

They are from Elemental LED. Look back a few posts for the URL.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #815 of 1151 Old 04-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Hi Mario, With all my cans full on I could read a book (or more likely a manual ) whilst sitting in any seat. It would probably cause eye strain after a while because I wouldn't call it bright. In my case I do have cans over the rear bar area. These cans are on a separate GE zone so this can be lit independently -- the idea was that my family could be watching movie from the front seats whilst catch up with a late dinner at the bar. That said, the main reason I didn't put cans in the center of the ceiling was to remove the complexities in keeping a high quality of soundproofing through the ceiling.

I think I mentioned this before but one big change was painting the walls black and then fitting the fabric walls. The room was very bright with white drywall walls but dimmed considerably after paint/treatment.

Cheers.

Great to hear moggie! You're almost there! I had to send my rs50 back as well and went to the 40. There was no way the 50 would light up my 152" smx. Looking forward to your column pics as I love the embedded light idea. I'm just getting over a month of illness and about to dive into my build again. It's hard resisting the urge to mount the PJ but we all know what happens if you do that

David
post #816 of 1151 Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl View Post

Great to hear moggie! You're almost there! I had to send my rs50 back as well and went to the 40. There was no way the 50 would light up my 152" smx. Looking forward to your column pics as I love the embedded light idea. I'm just getting over a month of illness and about to dive into my build again. It's hard resisting the urge to mount the PJ but we all know what happens if you do that

David

Yeah, almost there -- watched Inception last night.

I have all the walnut edge glued and planned for the columns, so I'm going to make some walnut fly this weekend... also the bar tops will be ready on Monday.

Sorry to hear about the RS50 -- consumers have been badly let down by JVC. I'm very happy with my RS40 replacement but if I had to do it again I'd probably go for the Mitsubitshi HC9000. Even with the extra brightness of the RS40 I bet you will still need to use high lamp mode after 200 hours.

post #817 of 1151 Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 AM

Hey moggie

Any updates on the columns?

Cheers
Simon
post #818 of 1151 Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZorTT View Post

Hey moggie

Any updates on the columns?

Cheers
Simon

The last mile is hard isn't it!

I've been making progress but have been distracted with lots of trips. I do have quite a few pics to post. I'll post them later tonight.

post #819 of 1151 Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time for an update! Progress has been slow and the next photo shows why:

Yeah, I know, the cardinal sin of hooking up the projector before completion. But I am really still making some progress...

Let's start with the HVAC system. I've never read of anybody else having pressure problems but I built my HVAC with the same size of supply and return despite knowing that a rule of thumb is to have a greater return. Consequently there was sufficient pressure build up when the A/C was on full to make opening the door difficult. The solution I came up with was to put a fan on the return in the neighboring crawl space driven from a variable speed controller. The variable speed was driven from a differential pressure sensor I found on ebay. I added some home grown electronics to alter the feedback loop, drilled through the exterior wall into the soffit area of the theater and fitted a pressure pickup tube. With a bit of tuning I had have an automatic variable speed return that keeps the room pressure constant -- no more issues opening the door and airflow is well controlled. Cool!

Here's a pic of the controller:

post #820 of 1151 Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also got my granite counter tops (bar and rear shelf) delivered a few weeks back and picked up a few stools. They were actually bar stools that I cut down the legs -- I wanted to make sure I got exactly the right height:

My Chief universal projector mount didn't fit the JVC RS40 so I fitted a couple of aluminum bars to adjust the mounting position. I'm working on the hush box now but need to wait for my a-lens to arrive before I finish the dimensions.

I'm getting summoned now for dinner (and probably a movie afterwards) so I'll post the progress on the columns a little later although you can see the dry fit in some of the pics.

Cheers!

post #821 of 1151 Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got done watching 'Knight and Day'. Not bad for a few laughs but not really an epic visual or surround sound feast.

Here are a few pics of the columns I'm working on. Getting this far took a while because I needed to edge glue some large panels prior to cutting out the 16 templates and routing the edges. Boy, I'm sick of sanding!

Dry fitting: between the two walnut sides will be a curved black GOM panel; the fabric will be fixed to the inside of the cutout too. There are two additional columns surrounding the rear shelf and the front most ones are a little different to accommodate the wide speakers I auditioned and decided to keep. I tried to be a little different whilst still tying into the walnut trim theme. What do you think?

I plan on applying the finish this weekend and wiring up the hidden LED side lighting.

post #822 of 1151 Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Awesome job Moggie!

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #823 of 1151 Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Moggie,

I like it - those walnut columns are going to be terrific - can't wait too see that walnut fiinished

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #824 of 1151 Old 05-28-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait to see them finished...! Gonna look good.

post #825 of 1151 Old 05-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Way to go Moggie!

It looks fantastic!

Glad to see you are enjoying some well deserved movies at the samel time

Cheers,
Simon
post #826 of 1151 Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

The drywall lift is an amazing invention but I wonder -- has anybody had the steel cable snap? I'd hate the think of the consequences and it certainly makes some creaking sounds.

Funny you should ask this question - I just purchased a drywall lift and on the very FIRST sheet of 5/8" drywall (4x8) I had the lift up about 8 feet (9 1/2 foot ceiling) and the cable snapped and the sheet came crashing down!! Very frightening experience. I am doubly bummed out as this was going to be my ceremonial beginning of the drywall phase and THIS is how it starts. How frustrating!!

Greg
post #827 of 1151 Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

A sign from the gods watching down on you, sub out the drywall portion.

post #828 of 1151 Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

A sign from the gods watching down on you, sub out the drywall portion.

Perhaps...was able to pick up some replacement cable and stops from Big Orange and replace it this evening. Hopefully it will hold up. Can't figure out what went wrong in the first place unless the wire was misfed during assembly at the factory. Either that or it somehow jumped off a pulley and got bound up in something. We'll see!!!
post #829 of 1151 Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamsburgHT View Post

Funny you should ask this question - I just purchased a drywall lift and on the very FIRST sheet of 5/8" drywall (4x8) I had the lift up about 8 feet (9 1/2 foot ceiling) and the cable snapped and the sheet came crashing down!! Very frightening experience. I am doubly bummed out as this was going to be my ceremonial beginning of the drywall phase and THIS is how it starts. How frustrating!!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Wow, I'm glad I'm done! I lifted a lot more than (4x10) drywall and at one point I had the lift balanced on a pile of drywall I was too lazy to move and some blocks... Did the cable actually break or pull out of the clamp?

Anyway, better to get the enviable mishaps out of the way early on in the project. I bet it will all be smooth from here on out

post #830 of 1151 Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I'd share a couple of pics of the backlit columns in place (at least the walnut parts -- walnut is such a beautiful wood). Still got all the fabric front panels to make. I didn't spend a lot of time taking pictures but the column lights create a very different atmosphere than the down lights. I've got to take advantage of that when I finally get round to doing the automation.

The LED back lighting worked out quite well although it would have been even better it I could have figured out how to fit a diffuser in there too because the reflections of the individual LEDs still show as reflected light spots

The self adhesive strip was fitted on the recessed side of the blade kerf:

When viewed straight on (as fitted) the strip is completely invisible:

post #831 of 1151 Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking great, and I agree with you on walnut, one of my favorites too.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #832 of 1151 Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Wow, well done Moggie - that really is beautiful!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #833 of 1151 Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Awesome result - that Walnut really finished up nice !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #834 of 1151 Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Very impressive as always. Looks really nice.

Quick question - What type of bit did you use to achieve that edge profile?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #835 of 1151 Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Quick question - What type of bit did you use to achieve that edge profile?

Pretty sure I used a small roman ogee bit on the routing table. The bit was not set at full depth so only the concave section cut. Repeated on both sides.

post #836 of 1151 Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Funny, You could have been stuck in there all day "Screaming" for help and no one would have heard you...

*in a deep resounding voice*

In a home theater .. no one can hear you scream!!!
post #837 of 1151 Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifers_ghost View Post
*in a deep resounding voice*

In a home theater .. no one can hear you scream!!!
I was lucky enough to enjoy the U2 concert in Oakland last week. The next day my 9 yo wanted to know what a rock concert was like, so..... off into the theater we went, found some vintage U2 live albums, cranked up the bass until she screamed that she couldn't breath because of the chest pounding. I don't think she wants to go to a real concert anymore. Well, unless it's Hillary Duff!

post #838 of 1151 Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM

The walnut has come up a treat as usual Moggie! I love the LED effect. Do you have the ability to dim the strip at all? Maybe that will remove the spot light effect?

I'm planning on using LED strips down the side of my equipment cupboard, so that when I open the door they light up

Cheers,
Simon
post #839 of 1151 Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZorTT
The walnut has come up a treat as usual Moggie! I love the LED effect. Do you have the ability to dim the strip at all? Maybe that will remove the spot light effect?

I'm planning on using LED strips down the side of my equipment cupboard, so that when I open the door they light up

Cheers,
Simon
Hi Simon, the LED's do dim and the spot light effect is highlighted by the camera. In any case my wife actually likes the effect... Personally I find LED lights cold compared to incandescent but there is no way I was going to get any level of brightness in the space I left myself without LED's.

I have most of the frames built for the fabric face on the columns but got side tracked when my Prismasonic cylindrical a-lens arrived today.

post #840 of 1151 Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Hi Simon, the LED's do dim and the spot light effect is highlighted by the camera. In any case my wife actually likes the effect... Personally I find LED lights cold compared to incandescent but there is no way I was going to get any level of brightness in the space I left myself without LED's.

I have most of the frames built for the fabric face on the columns but got side tracked when my Prismasonic cylindrical a-lens arrived today.
Hey Moggie,

I'd have to agree with you there. I much prefer the look of halogen lights, but like you say LEDs definitely have an advantage with their size.

I look forward to seeing what you think of the prismasonic lens. I had only seen renders of the lens.

Cheers,
Simon
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page