post #901 of 1151 Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

OK, Makes a little more sense now that you go into more detail. Obviously multi channel is going to sound better but it just came across like something was really lacking with stereo other than typical theater invironment constraints for listening to stereo. Dennis tried to talk me into getting the same speakers as you but I was just worried about their music capabilities compared to JTRs. I do like them though, almost pulled the trigger.

Great build and it was invaluable to everyone on this forum. Between you and PassingInterest the attention to detail cant get any better.

May you have years of enjoyment before an upgrade bug bites you!

Thanks for the compliment. I don't have any upgrade plans for a while (my mission is to enjoy what I have ) but I do still need to complete the entrance/stairs..

BTW I think the Klipsch speakers are really nice and I don't think you would have been disappointed even for music. I think the room makes the most difference. The JTRs are very nice too.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1151 Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Moggie-

I'm likely going with a curved screen as well given my short throw. When watching 1.78 material without the lens, does the barreling bother you at all? Did you ever consider leaving the A-lens in the light path for 1.78 content as well? I'm considering leaving it vs removing the lens for 1.78 material (mostly live sports).
post #903 of 1151 Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 AM

I am new to this forum.. the AV bug has bitten me recently.. I was browsing thru the forums when i stumbled upon this thread.
And i am not sure how i missed it. I have been "learning" about the HT and Build coz i soon plan to move out and build myself a small HT.
This thread is so enlightening... It covered so many aspects of HT construction.
And your craftsmanship is just awesome. You have outdone yourself with each of your projects.. And the ceiling is just fab. I just love the picture and the comment you posted that when u put up the star ceiling, you and your daughter had a Picnic.. it must be priceless.
if i have even 10 percent skills of you, then i might try to build something like you..
Anyways awesome Job... like like like!!!
post #904 of 1151 Old 08-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Liked: 10
I've just spent the past evening and this morning reading this thread. Whilst continuing to be amazed at not only the quality but also your productivity, I am also curious as to where you find all the little bits and pieces. Aluminium tube, Delvin, a diode here, a relay there, steel fabrication etc etc. Do you have a set of good sources for all of this stuff or do you just have to search around a lot?
post #905 of 1151 Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Jackals View Post

I'm likely going with a curved screen as well given my short throw. When watching 1.78 material without the lens, does the barreling bother you at all? Did you ever consider leaving the A-lens in the light path for 1.78 content as well? I'm considering leaving it vs removing the lens for 1.78 material (mostly live sports).

The barreling doesn't bother me at all. I guess I have a "mid-throw" setup and the distortion is small. Frankly I only know it's there if looking at a text screen like the screen shot. I do somethings leave the lens in place and just switch by projector anamorphic mode to horizontal compress. It's hard to say whether there is a difference... perhaps it is slightly less sharp this way when viewed from the front row. So I guess the main reason for moving the lens is dramatic effect -- which shouldn't be underestimated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zammykhan View Post

And your craftsmanship is just awesome. You have outdone yourself with each of your projects.. And the ceiling is just fab. I just love the picture and the comment you posted that when u put up the star ceiling, you and your daughter had a Picnic.. it must be priceless.
if i have even 10 percent skills of you, then i might try to build something like you..
Anyways awesome Job... like like like!!!

Thanks! Keeping the thread and describing the journey actually helped me keep up motivation. Glad you enjoyed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroby View Post

I've just spent the past evening and this morning reading this thread. Whilst continuing to be amazed at not only the quality but also your productivity, I am also curious as to where you find all the little bits and pieces. Aluminium tube, Delvin, a diode here, a relay there, steel fabrication etc etc. Do you have a set of good sources for all of this stuff or do you just have to search around a lot?

I was an EE guy at college and still have a stash of electronic components sitting around, but these are my main sources:

Electronic parts:
Digikey
Newark

Mechanical and industrial parts:
McMasterCarr
Grainger

Other items just by lots of web searching...

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #906 of 1151 Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroby View Post

+1

I also read this threat last evening and then again this morning... awesome
post #907 of 1151 Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

CA:

hi moggie, i have the same CA as you (the green is about 1 pixel higher).

do you know if there is anything that can be done to correct this?

post #908 of 1151 Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

hi moggie, i have the same CA as you (the green is about 1 pixel higher).

do you know if there is anything that can be done to correct this?

Hi Anthony, I don't think what you are seeing is CA from the a-lens (which is likely to appear on the vertical lines. The horizontal is slight misconvergence of the projector. I would estimate this is about 1/2 pixel and only exists on the far left of the image. The only adjustment on my projector is the convergence control that moves the individual colors by one pixel at a time. If I adjust this it actual goes too far the other way and messes up the right of the image so the default adjustment is as good as it gets. This effect is completely invisible at about 5'-6' from the screen and impossible (for me) to see at all with normal film content. How well the projector converges seems to vary projector to projector, but 1/2 a pixel is quite common and I've heard of a lot worse.

post #909 of 1151 Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM

I just read all 31 pages of this thread.
I think you have the most engineered build of any on this forum.
Excellent work!!!!!!!
What an inspiration!!!

I've never seen LED lights in columns before!!! Who does that? Great job!

How much did it cost to deepen the basement?
post #910 of 1151 Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanwater View Post

So thats what that process is called? LOL
post #911 of 1151 Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanwater View Post

I just read all 31 pages of this thread.
I think you have the most engineered build of any on this forum.
Excellent work!!!!!!!
What an inspiration!!!

I've never seen LED lights in columns before!!! Who does that? Great job!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the read. So what you are really saying is that I might have over engineered it a little

I didn't really deepen the basement; it was a little more involved than that! I'd rather not post the price but it was comparable with a small room house extension which is really what it amounts to: additional 450+ sqft to the home.

post #912 of 1151 Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Moggie

Could you link me to the lights you used for you screen back lighting?
post #913 of 1151 Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Could you link me to the lights you used for you screen back lighting?

It was just was Home Depot had in the store. They were Hampton Bay line voltage tracks with the smallest halogen light fixtures I could find which didn't leak light backwards. I'm pretty sure these were the lights. I used 5 of them and a couple of tracks (two in a track on the floor and three in a track at the bottom of the screen. I was able to bend the track slightly to match the curve of the screen wall.

Cheers.

post #914 of 1151 Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was beginning to wonder if I would ever reach this point, but the inside of me theater is officially DONE. Tuned, tweaked, and being enjoyed several times a week. Here is the final panel covering the rear subs. I hope to have some professional final photos to post soon.

Made from two layers of 1/4" ply bent to the correct radius and fixed with a bit of velcro:

post #915 of 1151 Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Looks brilliant Moggie!

No all you need is an ipad with iRule to replace those 5 remotes

Cheers,
Simon
post #916 of 1151 Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZorTT View Post

Now all you need is an ipad with iRule to replace those 5 remotes

Already done!

post #917 of 1151 Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM

haha nice work I ordered a GC-100-12 on the weekend
post #918 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Moggie,

Congratulations - You have to be Proud!
This thread has been quite the inspiration for many!!
What was your total elapsed time-to-build?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #919 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

What was your total elapsed time-to-build?

Pretty much exactly 2 years 6 months That did include a garage/workshop remodel and the games room above the theater as well.

post #920 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Congratulations Moggie! That curved panel looks sweet - any difficulties keeping the "ribs" on the curved panel from showing through? I remember Ronnie Jackson has some issues with that on his proscenium.
post #921 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Congratulations!! I can't wait to see the final photos. Enjoy it! You deserve to.
post #922 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

any difficulties keeping the "ribs" on the curved panel from showing through? I remember Ronnie Jackson has some issues with that on his proscenium.

No. The fabric facing panel is one piece and I sanded a radius on the cutouts to avoid a hard edge and then painted back. They are 1.5" wide. A camera flash might pick them up but they are completely invisible in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Congratulations!! I can't wait to see the final photos. Enjoy it! You deserve to.

Thanks!

post #923 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

haha nice work I ordered a GC-100-12 on the weekend

Simon, here's my control set up. I use the iRule software on an iPad. The iPad is mounted using the RAM-A-CAN II in one of the seat cup holders. iRule connects directly to my Integra over IP and to the rest of my IR distribution system via an Global Cache iTach IP2IR gateway. The final touch was to jailbreak the iPad and install the Screen Dimmer app -- this dims the screen to black in two stages. All you need to do is touch the screen and it jumps back to life.. I'll probably be playing with the UI for a while; currently working on adding an IP camera so I can keep an eye on the door when I'm in my soundproof theater.

post #924 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks great. I like the ram a can for the iPad. I'm also thinking of going rule but it would really only be for cool factor ad I have my URC mx980 remote perfected at the moment. The iPad dimming app sounds awesome, do let us know how well it works over time. That was my one gripe with controlling the theater with an iPad. But if I can leave it on all the time (and dimmed) that would work extremely well.

post #925 of 1151 Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Simon, here's my control set up. I use the iRule software on an iPad. The iPad is mounted using the RAM-A-CAN II in one of the seat cup holders. iRule connects directly to my Integra over IP and to the rest of my IR distribution system via an Global Cache iTach IP2IR gateway. The final touch was to jailbreak the iPad and install the Screen Dimmer app -- this dims the screen to black in two stages. All you need to do is touch the screen and it jumps back to life.. I'll probably be playing with the UI for a while; currently working on adding an IP camera so I can keep an eye on the door when I'm in my soundproof theater.

That looks brillant Moggie! Thanks for the pics! Did you build the UI yourself or were you able to start with a base? If you didn't it must have taken a while!

So with that dimmer app does that mean you can leave the app on all the time so that you don't have to unlock the ipad, re-sync to the GC itach?

I noticed they have a GC -> Xantech IR cord for sale on iruleathome.com. Did you get that to tie the two together? or just a cord with 2 3.5mm jacks on each end?

Cheers,
Simon
post #926 of 1151 Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

theater is officially DONE. Tuned, tweaked, and being enjoyed several times a week.

Beautifully done Paul...Kudos to your planning and execution!!

Having the opportunity see this theater come together has been truly inspiring, and your accomplishment deserves the highest of accolades.

Now box those elves up and ship em to Indiana...

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #927 of 1151 Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Really, really well done in every regard. Thanks for sharing Moggie - and you should be very proud of such a beautiful theater!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #928 of 1151 Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

AirBenji, Brad, thanks for the support. Now I'll have to get my HT fix by watching your progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Now box those elves up and ship em to Indiana...

Thing is my wife already told them to work on the bedroom remodel... then the living room... then the yard. By that time they'll probably be dead

post #929 of 1151 Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That looks brillant Moggie! Thanks for the pics! Did you build the UI yourself or were you able to start with a base? If you didn't it must have taken a while!

So with that dimmer app does that mean you can leave the app on all the time so that you don't have to unlock the ipad, re-sync to the GC itach?

I noticed they have a GC -> Xantech IR cord for sale on iruleathome.com. Did you get that to tie the two together? or just a cord with 2 3.5mm jacks on each end?

Cheers,
Simon

Simon, the basic outline of the UI is one of the iRule templates. I made a bunch of buttons including all those on the "audio settings" screen shown (love being able to directly select surround mode).

Correct on the Screen Dimmer app -- no resync to gateways, just instant on.

GC-->Xantech cord was purchased. It both attenuates and opto-isolates the connection. You could certainly build your own but I was at the point of wanting to wrap things up.

post #930 of 1151 Old 08-31-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

AirBenji, Brad, thanks for the support. Now I'll have to get my HT fix by watching your progress!

For that to work, I'll need to actually start making some progress again hopefully will get to spend some time on it this (3 day) weekend.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page