First step was to build the frame's T-profile using multiple beads (to match much of the molding inside the theater). The back of the frame has a recess for the LED lighting backer and the recess in the inner frame is for a frosted plexiglass plate to diffuse the LED's and give the poster some support.
The finish is my usual 2 coats of shellac (sprayed) and then 4 coats of clear satin finish polyurethane.
The frames were assembled in a custom jig to ensure square. I used a little wedge one the inside to strengthen the corner.
Strips of flat LED tape (bright white 8000k) were affixed to white surfaced MDF. I used 4x15' rolls in each frame and wired them to minimize resistance losses. I used a 5A 12v power supply I found on eBay which was mounted onto the white backer and can be seen in the bottom right side. This made the unit completely self-contained and the power goes though the back and is hard-wired to a outlet I had put into the wall when framed. The lighted frames were them attached to the wall at the corners where I had reinforced the backer.
After testing, the last phase (which I obviously forgot to take photos) was to inside the frosted plexiglass into the window using a few pieces of double sided tape to keep it in place while I added the metal poster frames.
The black metal frames are the front loading type from spotlight displays
. The cool thing is that they are spring loaded so it is easy to change out posters.
The displays are low profile at just under 3" -- not as thin as I was planning but I wanted to be safe and not be able to detect the individual LEDs. The results are excellent as you can see here... no visible lines.
Another project bites the dust. Yeah!