Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 36 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1154 Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I just received an email back from Active Thermal. They quoted me a price of $549 for the system. That's a lot more than the Panasonic fan, but I really like the idea of having the fan outside of the theater, which is something you can't do with the Panasonic fan.

Why can't you locate a panasonic fan outside the theater?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1154 Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks stockmonkey that's exactly what I was looking for.

Note that I modified the Panasonic and fitted it inside it's own hushbox. I also run it on a speed controller and only have it running at about half speed. It is completely silent the way I set it up but I believe I would have been able to hear it if the fan was mounted directly in the ceiling. In retrospect I wish I had put the fan outside of the room shell -- I could then have used a small in-line fan.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1053 of 1154 Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My Panasonic fan is located outside the theater. I ran a 4" duct from the projector box to the fan. I built a box to cover the inlet and have the 4" duct running into that box. I wasn't worried about soundproofing so i made a simple box. My projector box has a thermostat that turns on the fan when the temperature rises to the thermostat setting.
post #1054 of 1154 Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Why can't you locate a panasonic fan outside the theater?

I was working under the usumption that the farther the Panasonic fan is away from the hush box the lower the actual CFM's would be, and the less effective it would be at pulling the hot air from the box. I am also assuming that an in-line fan such as the System 1 is better designed for an outside the theater application. It's definitely possible I am wrong on both assumptions.

Quote:
My Panasonic fan is located outside the theater. I ran a 4" duct from the projector box to the fan. I built a box to cover the inlet and have the 4" duct running into that box. I wasn't worried about soundproofing so i made a simple box. My projector box has a thermostat that turns on the fan when the temperature rises to the thermostat setting.

Stockmonkey - How long is your duct run? Does your set up with the Panasonic work well?
post #1055 of 1154 Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was working under the usumption that the farther the Panasonic fan is away from the hush box the lower the actual CFM's would be, and the less effective it would be at pulling the hot air from the box. I am also assuming that an in-line fan such as the System 1 is better designed for an outside the theater application. It's definitely possible I am wrong on both assumptions.........

You are going to be working against duct losses regardless of which fan you use. Dennis has posted several times that fans are more efficient pulling (near the end of the duct) than pushing (near the front). This is counter to what I've learned about pumps over the years, but air is a highly compressible fluid, so I'll take Dennis' word for this one (always good advice to take Dennis' word). How long is your duct run?

post #1056 of 1154 Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Stockmonkey - How long is your duct run? Does your set up with the Panasonic work well?

My run is about 15 feet. I am not at the point where I have installed my projector yet but the fan seems to pull plenty of air - Im sure it pulls significantly more than the projector fan. If moggie is running his at half speed it should be fine pulling through the longer run.
post #1057 of 1154 Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

You are going to be working against duct losses regardless of which fan you use. Dennis has posted several times that fans are more efficient pulling (near the end of the duct) than pushing (near the front). This is counter to what I've learned about pumps over the years, but air is a highly compressible fluid, so I'll take Dennis' word for this one (always good advice to take Dennis' word). How long is your duct run?

My run will be about 15' to get the fan outside the theater. I agree, Dennis' advice is always good advice . I'm confused about the pulling and pushing part though. Whether the fan is located near the hush box or outside the theater room, it would be pulling air in both cases and not pushing it correct?

I found this Panasonic fan on Amazon, would this be a good choice to use

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-FV-1...3389673&sr=8-2
post #1058 of 1154 Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

You have to think about it in terms of the duct it's connected to. The fluid will always travel from the higher pressure to the lower pressure. So, if the fan is at the hush box, then it is pulling air from the room which is at atmospheric pressure, but it's pushing that air down the duct that's connected at the fan's outlet. So the fan has to pressurize that entire duct in order to get the air to go down the duct and out the other end into another room.

Compared to connecting the fan at the exit of the duct (opposite the hush box), then the fan has to pull a vacuum on the entire duct in order to pull air out of the hush box.

So I suppose it's a matter of semantics. In either location the fan will pull the air out of the hush box if it's oriented properly.

post #1059 of 1154 Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the explaination, it makes sense to me now. I think I will set up mine the way stockmonkey did, the Panasonic fan mounted outside the theater with 4" flex duct to the hush box. Thank you all for your input.
post #1060 of 1154 Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After months of procrastinating I used up the remains of my pile of Walnut and made three lighted movie poster boxes for my theater entrance.

This is the first view that greets me when I go down to watch a movie

I have a few photos to explain the construction which I'll post in a while, but before I do, a better resource is cuzed2's thread here.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1061 of 1154 Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First step was to build the frame's T-profile using multiple beads (to match much of the molding inside the theater). The back of the frame has a recess for the LED lighting backer and the recess in the inner frame is for a frosted plexiglass plate to diffuse the LED's and give the poster some support.

The finish is my usual 2 coats of shellac (sprayed) and then 4 coats of clear satin finish polyurethane.

The frames were assembled in a custom jig to ensure square. I used a little wedge one the inside to strengthen the corner.

Strips of flat LED tape (bright white 8000k) were affixed to white surfaced MDF. I used 4x15' rolls in each frame and wired them to minimize resistance losses. I used a 5A 12v power supply I found on eBay which was mounted onto the white backer and can be seen in the bottom right side. This made the unit completely self-contained and the power goes though the back and is hard-wired to a outlet I had put into the wall when framed. The lighted frames were them attached to the wall at the corners where I had reinforced the backer.

After testing, the last phase (which I obviously forgot to take photos) was to inside the frosted plexiglass into the window using a few pieces of double sided tape to keep it in place while I added the metal poster frames.

The black metal frames are the front loading type from spotlight displays. The cool thing is that they are spring loaded so it is easy to change out posters.

The displays are low profile at just under 3" -- not as thin as I was planning but I wanted to be safe and not be able to detect the individual LEDs. The results are excellent as you can see here... no visible lines.

Another project bites the dust. Yeah!

post #1062 of 1154 Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks great Moggie!
post #1063 of 1154 Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post

Looks great Moggie!

You're up really late!

post #1064 of 1154 Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Fantastic work as usual Moggie! It's good timing too as I'll need to start thinking about building a frame for my LCD TV Poster Frame.
post #1065 of 1154 Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sheesh, how many more projects are there? I'm still waiting for the silkworm/curtain project!

Those frames look great...do you think something like that would work for 2" thick acoustical panels?
post #1066 of 1154 Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Wow really sharp Moggie! Looks great!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #1067 of 1154 Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guess what... I've never won anything in my life... until now: greatest-home-theater-moment-ever-contest smile.gif

Thanks AVS.

post #1068 of 1154 Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Congrats Moggie! Truly a greatest home theater moment and a very special time with your daughter.
post #1069 of 1154 Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Moggie,

Congratulations !!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #1070 of 1154 Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Congratulations Moggie. That was a great moment with your daughter.

Gathering ideas for Version 2.0 Home Theater
post #1071 of 1154 Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM

Moggie won the Greatest Home Theater moment contest! AVS finally annouced it in their contest thread. Moggie great job on the Star ceiling. I would love to know how you made that. It would be great watching TITANIC 3D!
post #1072 of 1154 Old 09-17-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

Moggie won the Greatest Home Theater moment contest! AVS finally annouced it in their contest thread. Moggie great job on the Star ceiling. I would love to know how you made that. It would be great watching TITANIC 3D!

Thanks. You can find the whole ceiling build here. Isn't Titanic out on blue ray? Need to watch it again.

post #1073 of 1154 Old 09-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Thanks. You can find the whole ceiling build here. Isn't Titanic out on blue ray? Need to watch it again.
Yeah, Titanic is out on Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D. I thought you won a 3D projector? I really love your home theater build. What has been the total cost of building it? Sorry, I forgot your theater screen isn't suited for 3D. I thought it was. I would have enabled the screen to be easily removed in case I wanted to upgrade it. Please post a video on yuotube showing your completed theater in action.
post #1074 of 1154 Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I had a three day weekend and so decided to get busy with a project that has been languishing since completing the theater. I had a large alcove and the top of the stairs that leads to the theater and I decided to build a media library to house my wife's collection (mine are all nicely ripped on my NAS!). I had no idea she had so many DVD's and BD's lying around -- I thought the shelves would be half empty, but we did a pretty good job at filling them. All I need now is to hang a Blockbuster sign from one of the many closing stores

Since everybody who has visited the theater has asked to see the build pics I decided to mount a digital photo frame in the library with a revolving set of build pics.

Great job on the theater and I like the media storage room as I'm thinking about something like this. A few questions... what are the dimensions of the media room itself, L,W, H? What storage units are those? What are their dimensions? How many DVD/Blurays do they hold? Do you have any difficulty seeing and picking out movies on the shelf in a room that narrow? Anything you'd do differently on the media storage room if you did it over again/any lessons learned? Thanks
post #1075 of 1154 Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 101
could you make a detailed DIY for that led poster frame? or is that as close as we will get ^_^

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1076 of 1154 Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

could you make a detailed DIY for that led poster frame? or is that as close as we will get ^_^

Daniel,

Myself, Moggie, and several others have posted quite a bit of info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1392444/another-diy-poster-marquee-light-box

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1077 of 1154 Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatics View Post

Great job on the theater and I like the media storage room as I'm thinking about something like this. A few questions... what are the dimensions of the media room itself, L,W, H? What storage units are those? What are their dimensions? How many DVD/Blurays do they hold? Do you have any difficulty seeing and picking out movies on the shelf in a room that narrow? Anything you'd do differently on the media storage room if you did it over again/any lessons learned? Thanks

Hi Plasmatics,

The "media storage room" is really just an alcove at the top of the stair leading to the HT. It's about 40" wide which give me 27" between the two shelves. It's not a lot of space but is fine for one person. The larger side shelves are 49"x76" although they are available in a bunch of sizes. The shelf at the end is a half width unit which I cut down to fit since the ceiling in the alcove angles down. The large shelves store 360 DVD/bluerays. I can't remember where I purchased from although a search for 'prepac media shelves" will find a bunch of similar ones. Note that, unlike the solid walnut in the rest of my build, they are laminated MDF but in the darkened corridor they look fine.

The truth is that I rarely pick media from the shelves. Most of my titles have been ripped and stored on a NAS drive and streamed via my Dune player.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

post #1078 of 1154 Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Daniel,
Myself, Moggie, and several others have posted quite a bit of info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1392444/another-diy-poster-marquee-light-box

Daniel, Cuzed2's thread is definitely the place to look for a DIY guide. There are a few variations of backlighting but the rest is in the frame construction and there are lots of options for that. Most of the builders in that thread were trying to build low profile boxes hence the use of LEDs. One thing I did that was different to the others was to mount the LED power supply inside of the frame.

Cheers.

post #1079 of 1154 Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Daniel, Cuzed2's thread is definitely the place to look for a DIY guide. There are a few variations of backlighting but the rest is in the frame construction and there are lots of options for that. Most of the builders in that thread were trying to build low profile boxes hence the use of LEDs. One thing I did that was different to the others was to mount the LED power supply inside of the frame.
Cheers.

yup I came across that thread after asking the question but since your seems to be the cleanest of the builds it would still be cool if we could see a step by step of how you mounted the power supple and so forth? it seems yours is the thinnest design too. I mean I like the others concepts but by far your has more of a store bought look to it, nice and clean. But no worries I book marked the various post you made about it and will piece it together smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1080 of 1154 Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

yup I came across that thread after asking the question but since your seems to be the cleanest of the builds it would still be cool if we could see a step by step of how you mounted the power supple and so forth? it seems yours is the thinnest design too. I mean I like the others concepts but by far your has more of a store bought look to it, nice and clean. But no worries I book marked the various post you made about it and will piece it together smile.gif

Why am I starting to feel like chopped liver .... smile.gif

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com