Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1151 Old 10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
And here I always thought free meant best effort information at zero cost .... smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1151 Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Don't feel bad. Mario got schooled for his non-indexed Cinemar build thread.The bar for free information seems to be set pretty high these days. smile.gif

LOL!

Yep, that was a pretty classy move! rolleyes.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1083 of 1151 Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Don't feel bad. Mario got schooled for his non-indexed Cinemar build thread.The bar for free information seems to be set pretty high these days. smile.gif

todayOPwasntafaggot_3ae65cb95b2d4f6b1070dc71a8b985e2_zps468122af.jpg

... and add to it ...

wguxlj.gif

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1084 of 1151 Old 10-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 72
first off you must be republican since your twisting my words lol... it was a request and your making it sound like a demand ~_~ if he didnt want to do it then he does not have to, a side from that maybe its because people seem to not understand what a build log is, since so many do it wrong if they truly are displaying a build log, when you are logging something you are chronicling the events that take place therefor you are indexing the work being done as it happens in the case of a thread where anyone can comment throwing the log out of order do to filler then an index on the main post needs to be created, again its just a clean professional way of doing things that also makes it more appealing for people just interested in the build and not all the side chatter of people going great build and oh thats awesome that adds nothing to the log.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1085 of 1151 Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

first off it was a request not a demand and whats the point of offering information if its going to be all over the place making it unpractical to source through, I feel its just a matter of keeping it organized and easy to reference, I would do no different with any of the threads I created. Unless your free information is just a front for showing off thus the lack of keeping the information organized.

Yup... he's just a big show-off. We all know that. That's why we're here getting great ideas.
post #1086 of 1151 Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Indeed the bar is set high these days... not only do you have to go overboard on HT design and build, but you have to have a degree in journalism to keep a meticulous blog biggrin.gif

Frankly I like the criticism (except from the wife). It keep the thread owner striving for the best they can do -- if no one was watching it would be all too easy to take shortcuts.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1087 of 1151 Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Just so long as you know I was being facetious. I love this thread.
Quote:

post #1088 of 1151 Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

first off you must be republican since your twisting my words lol... it was a request and your making it sound like a demand ~_~ if he didnt want to do it then he does not have to, a side from that maybe its because people seem to not understand what a build log is, since so many do it wrong if they truly are displaying a build log, when you are logging something you are chronicling the events that take place therefor you are indexing the work being done as it happens in the case of a thread where anyone can comment throwing the log out of order do to filler then an index on the main post needs to be created, again its just a clean professional way of doing things that also makes it more appealing for people just interested in the build and not all the side chatter of people going great build and oh thats awesome that adds nothing to the log.

Speaking of "side chatter", that was an impressive rant !!

And yes ; I am proud to be a republican, have nothing against democrats, but then there are those 47%'rs.... :-)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #1089 of 1151 Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Personally, I much prefer build threads to build logs. The chattier the better.

Boy, the Braves sure sucked tonight - no surprise - and that was a terrible call.
post #1090 of 1151 Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Careful, we might end up with ANOTHER kudos to the on topic posts thread!

On second thought, keep it up. biggrin.gif

post #1091 of 1151 Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Daniel,

Since so many of us are doing it wrong, why don't you go through each build thread that does not meet your standards and create the professional index you suggest, and send that to the thread starter by pm? I imagine that sort of constructive assistance would be appreciated, even by mean republicans.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1092 of 1151 Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Hanes,
It's good to have friends who got your back - thanks !!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #1093 of 1151 Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Hanes,
It's good to have friends who got your back - thanks !!

photo23.jpg

No sweat, my friend. cool.gif

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1094 of 1151 Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hanesian -- as always a picture for every occasion!

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1095 of 1151 Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Beautifiul Theater!
post #1096 of 1151 Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

TMcG pointed me to your solution for balancing the pressure in your theater. Very clever I must say! Could you point me to where you sourced the SmartFan controller you used for fan speed control? They seem to be an OEM supplier, and teh Googles has let me down so far for alternatives.

post #1097 of 1151 Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Beautifiul Theater!

Thank you for the compliment.

post #1098 of 1151 Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

TMcG pointed me to your solution for balancing the pressure in your theater. Very clever I must say! Could you point me to where you sourced the SmartFan controller you used for fan speed control? They seem to be an OEM supplier, and teh Googles has let me down so far for alternatives.

So I'm not alone! I thought I was the only one with this issue. I'll dig up where I sourced the components from.... ok, here you go...

The Motor Speed Controller: Nimbus CRI #240VJW03 in 4x4 Job Box manual

Setra Multi-Range Differential Pressure Transducer: note that these come in a few models and you want one with the 0.1"/0.25"/0.5"/1" pressure scale. This will allow some experimentation in what range you want to select -- too sensitive (e.g. 0.1" range) and the fan will alternate from full on to full off. Not sensitive enough and the fan speed will be slow to adjust room pressure. I actually built an additional little circuit to "tune" the fan motor speed response (technically I tried to critically damp the system) -- not mandatory but it did prevent slight pressure fluctuation.

I checked my ebay history and it looks like I purchased both of these there -- they were both brand new equipment and combined were less than $100. The retail prices are significantly more. You may have to watch ebay for a couple of weeks...

Here is the full size version of my pic for reference: photo

post #1099 of 1151 Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info, Moggie. I'll have to keep an eye on EBay!

post #1100 of 1151 Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Liked: 15
Just finished reading the whole thread. That build is just phenomenal, definately my favorite. Can't wait to have my house and start my own.
Keep up the good work

post #1101 of 1151 Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

Just finished reading the whole thread. That build is just phenomenal, definately my favorite. Can't wait to have my house and start my own.
Keep up the good work

You read the whole thread, wow! Thanks for the feedback.
BTW I waited through 10 years of dreaming before I had the opportunity to build my theater.... makes it even more satisfying now.

Cheers.

post #1102 of 1151 Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey moggie. Really nice build. I have read an entire build thread since I finished my theater (are they ever really done) but I really enjoyed yours end to end. Your masking system put mine to shame and my wife now feels good about the steelwork we did after seeing our basement dig smile.gif.

I have been using cqc for automation but I took a look at irule after I saw our setup. It looks intriguing but I cand fins documentation on their website. I wondered if you could tell me how it is for getting feedback? I am wondering if I could just front end my cqc system with it so I don't have to reimplement everything but I really like the bi-directional part of cqc. I get time code from my bluray, channel status from directv, etc. have you done something like that in irule?

Greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
post #1103 of 1151 Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Greg,

I know what you mean about never being really done. I still have to finish my entrance/ticket booth door. I remember your build well and was one that I derived a lot of inspiration from.

I did look at CQC but I didn't feel I needed all its capabilities for just the theater room. I discovered iRule towards the end of my build and really like how simple it is and how quickly the authors are evolving it. Initially it didn't have any feedback but that has been added as has embedded controls for Sonos, iTunes, etc. The most frustrating part of iRule for me is that all design work is done via a web app with configuration stored in the cloud. The web app is a little slow and clunky compared to a desktop app and doesn't allow things like rapid command line editing of XML config to speed up system design.

The feedback system is quite simple compared to the infinite possibilities of cqc. Specifically the response code of devices under serial or IP control can feed to iRule. A pattern matching rule is used to filter out the interesting part of the response string. This filter is not regexp (I've often wondered why not) but generally sufficient for simple token extraction. The token can then be displayed as a text field or used to drive one or two graphic widgets (like volume bar). If/then/else conditionals are not possible at this time. In my system I use feedback to display the volume level, the surround sound mode in use, the title (not artwork) of streaming content and a few other bits of status information like content channel content, resolution, etc. Since I use Sonos for music distribution this is now nicely integrated with the new iRule widget -- cover art and all. iRule have promised additional feedback capability in the future.

I'd say that the feedback is minimal at this point although the iRule crew are growing and adding features all the time. They also seem to respond to community pressure of feature priority. Check out these tutorials (under advanced) to get a better idea of what is possible.

The best part of iRule that it fits nicely on any iOS device (and now android too) and has some beautiful looking shared graphic and control libraries to overcome some of the setup work. In fact I'm wondering if the new iPad mini with iRule is the ideal platform to fit to the wall and retro fit around the house for light, heating and AV automation in other rooms.

One other system that you should look at is Mario's (Cinemar build thread) Cinemar/Main Lobby Home Automation system. This is probably a replacement for cqc, with the benefit of having Mario around for advice...

Cheers,

- Paul

post #1104 of 1151 Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Moggie- This is one of the best build threads I have read. Incredible journey and theater- Congrats.

I love your screen, ceiling, and lights!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1105 of 1151 Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM

UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE-!!!!!!!!!
post #1106 of 1151 Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mfusick, thedonnie111

Guys, thanks very much for the comments. You resurrected my thread from the "2012 vault". wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I love your screen, ceiling, and lights!

Of all the theater components I'm most proud of the screen. It's been working so well and the curve adds a subtle little extra to the whole experience.

Cheers,

- Paul.

post #1107 of 1151 Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Moggie,

Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm going to be in Oakland a couple of times in June and would love to see your place in person. I think I'm going to "borrow" your column design!

Jeff
thedonnie111 likes this.
post #1108 of 1151 Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Jeff,

I'm about 1h 40min drive from Oakland. You are welcome to visit. PM me.

- Paul.

post #1109 of 1151 Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 AM

Hello Moggie

From one resident, native Brit to an ex-pat!

I am planning my retirement theatre in a house which we are soon to exchange contracts on. It will have (after some rebuilding work) a cinema around 30' x 17'6" and I intend shamelessly and extensively to steal from your thread and the Cinemar thread. I am also about to PM Mario about a trial of his software.

From you I especially want to copy the DIP masking system (yes I read and digested the whole thread) but have a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping me.

How big was the piece of screen material you ordered?

Do you think it would be OK to make the baseboard (skirting board) frame from MDF? I doubt I can get a 2' length of straight wood skirting, let alone a 12' length.

Do you have a drawing of the profile you ended up with for the routed frame? I do appreciate that the T track channel rebate will need to be sized to fit. Even the overall height would help.

And for the life of me I cant see how you fastened the whole velvet covered assemby to the welded metal frame or the 1/8th aluminium flat strip..

Help much appreciated.

Anthony
post #1110 of 1151 Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum. Everyone steals ideas around here ... it is considered a complement! 17'6" wide is a nice width. I would have loved a couple of extra feet.

I found my receipt of the screen material: 98" x 13' Center Stage XD ; I cut on an approximately 10-15 degree tilt. The tilt is necessary to prevent the possibility of moire patterns with some projectors.

No problem with the screen frame being MDF. My horizontal pieces are exactly that. The vertical sections where made from some 2" finger jointed pine I had around the shop, but the horizontals are made from two strips of skirting board (baseboard for the Americans ;-) laminated together with wood glue AFTER being partially routed. The reason why I performed most of the routing prior to glue up was because the frame is curved. I glued the two strips using the frame as a curve profile to make the pre-bent piece. Routing the curve section would have been unwieldy. In retrospect I might have been able to make a straight frame and then bend as it was clamped into place, but I think the pre-bent approach made for a much cleaner and risk free fit.

I'll see if I can put together a sketch of the frame profile (horizontal sides) and the frame mounting a little bit later but I'll try and describe the build process:

1. the aluminium (British spelling just for you) flat was clamped onto the bend steel frame so that is was flush to the inside edge and overhung the outside edge by about 3/4" (this is important). Holes were drilled and regular intervals (6" I think) sized for future tapping.
2. The aluminum was removed and the holes in the steel were tapped. The aluminum was drilled oversize and countersunk so that it could be later fixed with countersunk head machine screws for a flush surface.
3. In a clean workshop the screen material was layed on the frame and the rubber O-rings were fitted (obviously I has screwed in self tapping screws with a nylon sleeve on the back side to match where I had fitted grommets around the edge of the screen) so that it was wrinkle free. The location of the tapped holes were marked in the screen material.
4. The screen cloth was removed and the marked holes were punched with a home made punch to about 5/8" or so. The reason for this will aid understanding of how it all then fits together...
5. After painting of the frame, the screen fabric was fitted for the final time. I let it sit overnight so it was correctly stretched and tensioned. Then the aluminum flats were re-attached to the steel frame with countersunk machine screws. These screws passed through the holes in the screen material and essentially clamped the screen material in place. I did think of adding small washers so the aluminum stood above the steel and would allow the screen material to retain tensioning from the O-rings. This probably would be an improvement, but my clamped approach has worked perfectly so I don't think it is necessary. I also believe the aluminum flat stiffened the steel so I did not get any additional sag once the screen was hoisted vertically.
6. Ok, so now the frame is placed on the aluminum and squared up and set so that the masking edge rods run free (equal separation across length of . It is attached through some holes drilled in the part of the aluminum flat that overhangs the steel ... you can screw through the overlap and into the wood frame. Presto!
7. Note that I did find that the 1/8" aluminum flat was not sufficient to prevent the masking from binding. Either shim out with washers as described in step 5 or do what I did which was to stick a strip of approx. 1/8" think plastic tape on top of the aluminum before the frame thus lifting it an additional 1/8". Edit: Or use 1/4" aluminum flats instead

Here is the hastily drawn visual:

Cheers,

- Paul.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com