Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1151 Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Moggie - On your lighted frames, when viewed from the side, can you see the aluminum portion of the Spotlight frame? When I laid the Spotlight frame on my backer box it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb and will probably be worse once everything is painted black. Trying to decide if I want to cover it somehow so I'm curious what your experience was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1151 Old 04-04-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Moggie - On your lighted frames, when viewed from the side, can you see the aluminum portion of the Spotlight frame? When I laid the Spotlight frame on my backer box it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb and will probably be worse once everything is painted black. Trying to decide if I want to cover it somehow so I'm curious what your experience was?

Sorry, been dealing with a family tragedy.

The aluminum is not visible because the frame I made has an overhanging lip that hides the side of the spotlight frame. A couple of other ideas come to mind:

1. You could route a slight recess and set the aluminum frame into it. This couldn't be very deep because the frame would then not open, but even a slight recess would help.
2. Paint or use a couple of layers with a permanent black sharpie to make all the aluminum black. This would probably disguise it enough.

- Paul.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1143 of 1151 Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Moggie,

Family tragedy ...
Thoughts and Prayers to you and yours!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1144 of 1151 Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Sorry, been dealing with a family tragedy.

The aluminum is not visible because the frame I made has an overhanging lip that hides the side of the spotlight frame. A couple of other ideas come to mind:

1. You could route a slight recess and set the aluminum frame into it. This couldn't be very deep because the frame would then not open, but even a slight recess would help.
2. Paint or use a couple of layers with a permanent black sharpie to make all the aluminum black. This would probably disguise it enough.

- Paul.

Thanks for the response Moggie. I ended up wrapping the edge with electrical tape. I hope it stays over the long term.

Sorry to hear that Moggie. Prayers for you and your family.
post #1145 of 1151 Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply moggie. Been away for a while with a new job. Got some free time again and looking forward to do some research again. Read your whole thread again for a start.
Actually I was looking for A/V and Automation (IR etc..) wiring if you have them .
Since I'm a novice for most of the equipments you used in the theater, I must do more reading and get familiar with them. Started to read some woodworking books though.
Have some experience with hand tools, but would have to buy some machines if I ever want to achieve a fraction of the quality of your work.

-Dan.
post #1146 of 1151 Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Simon, I don't have the IR to the grafik eye up and running but I have a cat6 cable ready for that function. I'm actually using the newer QS version of the GE with has both an IR receiver and a hardwired IR input. I was planning on using the hardwire connection.

As an aside I haven't connected any of the IR yet because I'm still deciding on which way to go with automation. I think I'm just going to use one of the better programmable remotes (phillips proto probably) and a IR distribution system (Xantech) and a single remote switchable outlet. I think I can achieve all the automation I need with these components. That said, automation is the last thing on my todo list!

Edit: I reread your last post and it seems you are using the hardwired connection. I'm sure I read Xantech as a compatible IR device in Lutron literature...
Moggie.. Have some questions.
This is about automation. Just trying to figure out how you did it and I draw a diagram depicting the automation components. (Please see the attached photo)
Am I getting it right or something's missing?
And the questions assuming diagram is correct.
1. I think you connect the Integra directly to the access point with a Cat5 cable so that your iRule remote comunicate with it through IP. Is that correct?
2.How do you control other media components? (ie. Projector, Bluray Player.. etc.) Do you have IR emitters from Global cache to each component?
3.Also wall station has the capability of controlling media components or does it control only the lighting? (I think grafik-eye system doesn't have the capability to control AV components)

I might have more questions on other areas, and will ask them as they come.
Thanks

-Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS000005.JPG (86.7 KB, 21 views)
post #1147 of 1151 Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Dan,

There is one big missing component in your drawing -- I have IR control of every device. To achieve this I have a IR sensor mounted above the screen (behind the black cloth) and another in the little "control room". This sensors are connected to a Xantech IR amplified distribution block and I use the 8 outputs to connect to every device. The reason for this is that it allows me to control the theater from any of the original remotes whilst in the room. I rarely use this ability now but it was very useful whilst programming iRule.

In addition to the IR distribution I have a GlobalCache IP2IR receiver to allow iRule to generate IR codes. Now, this would have been sufficient but for better reliability and to get feedback I directly wired IP capable components to my ethernet hub (which is connected to my wireless router). When programming iRule I configured both the GlobalCache IP2IR and the direct IP wired units (like the Integra processor) as gateways. Where I could I used IP codes so that I could exploit feedback (Integra) and IR for the rest.

Make sense?

- Paul.

PS The wall station is just controls the lighting at the door. I use the iPad for everything including lighting when in the theater.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"

Last edited by Moggie; 08-09-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added postscript
post #1148 of 1151 Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Dan,

There is one big missing component in your drawing -- I have IR control of every device. To achieve this I have a IR sensor mounted above the screen (behind the black cloth) and another in the little "control room". This sensors are connected to a Xantech IR amplified distribution block and I use the 8 outputs to connect to every device. The reason for this is that it allows me to control the theater from any of the original remotes whilst in the room. I rarely use this ability now but it was very useful whilst programming iRule.

In addition to the IR distribution I have a GlobalCache IP2IR receiver to allow iRule to generate IR codes. Now, this would have been sufficient but for better reliability and to get feedback I directly wired IP capable components to my ethernet hub (which is connected to my wireless router). When programming iRule I configured both the GlobalCache IP2IR and the direct IP wired units (like the Integra processor) as gateways. Where I could I used IP codes so that I could exploit feedback (Integra) and IR for the rest.

Make sense?

- Paul.

PS The wall station is just controls the lighting at the door. I use the iPad for everything including lighting when in the theater.
Thanks Paul.
I'm having a hard time understanding automation system. Web is full of information of different systems and components that doesn't make it easier.
I did some addition to my original sketch based on your reply.
But still I can't understand why you said that Xantech Amplified Connecting Block is an essential part of your control system if you don't use it much. If Im understanding it correct, Xantech connection block is needed only as an IR relay, but as long as you use iRule I don't see much use of it.
Or you are connecting the IR gateway and Xantech connection block connected (Red dashed line on the second attachment) so that iRule signal codes relayed to each individual component (through IR Gateway->Xantech Block).?

And if you don't mind can you give me an instance how you start the theater to watch a movie from,
1. A file stored on the NAS
2. Bluray player.

Sorry for asking lot of questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS000006.JPG (79.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WS000007.JPG (76.4 KB, 11 views)
post #1149 of 1151 Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dan, firstly, no problem asking questions. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer.

The second illustration you posted is very close to what I set up. The only addition is that I have three inputs to the Xantech IR distribution block: two IR sensors as well as one of the outputs on the Global Cache IP2IR.

So why did I need the Xantech?

Well, firstly all my components are not in line of sight from within the theater. The projector and automated lens lift is in a hush box, the Oppo in the closet area, the rest of the components outside the room. The automated screen masking doesn't have a IR sensor so has to be direct wired as does the GE lighting unit. I think I have 7 units to control with IR. The Global Cache IP unit has 3 outputs only one is amplified (I recall) thus it was not convenient to wire IR emitters to 7 devices in multiple locations. The Xantech performed this role. If your layout is different and don't need the 7 IR transmitters wired to different locations you might be able to get away without this.

Why did I need IR control of everything?

Technically I don't now that everything is setup with iRule. The Oppo, projector and processor are all IP controlled, reducing the number of IR devices to 4. However, during the setup phase and when delving into obscure part of the remote that I have never duplicated in iRule I need(ed) to use the original remotes. Having a base IR distribution solves these problems.

What is a typical procedure to watch a movie?
1. Make popcorn ;-)
2. Hit the movie button on my iRule/iPad. This sequences just about everything: lighting mode, turns everything on, defaults to the Dune media player input, etc. Dune automatically starts up with the Zappitti interface.
3. Hit the "movie" mode lighting button once everyone is seated.
4. Browse Zappitti movie catalog which are all movies ripped to my NAS (to the piracy watchdog committee: I also own these blue rays) via iRule.
5. Select the movie.

[if not a 2.35:1 movie I have to hit one more button to get back to 16:9 aspect ration because my masking and anamorphic lens defaults to this mode during power up]

I really want to automate some pre-movie music but haven't got round to that yet.

To watch a bluray (which is rarer because I usually rip to NAS first), steps 4 & 5 would be replaced with:
4. Switch to Oppo via iRule
5. Hit Oppo play, skip, skip, play, skip, skip, skip, ...., then play (you know the forced bluray preview crap).

The only additional control I might use during the movie is to use the Intermission/Resume macros I set up, or change audio mode.

Clearer?

- Paul.

PS Forget to mention that as iRule sends control codes to perform the macros described in the sequences above, it will use different paths to send the codes. E.g. to control the processor it uses IP directly, to control the automated masking it exploits the Global Cache IP2IR which is fed to Xentech and distributed via cat 5 to masking motors, etc.

Last edited by Moggie; 08-11-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added PS
post #1150 of 1151 Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 AM

Thank you Paul. It's pretty clear now. Very detailed.

Quote:
What is a typical procedure to watch a movie?
1. Make popcorn ;-)
That's funny. Not going to automate it?
post #1151 of 1151 Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwee View Post
That's funny. Not going to automate it?
I bet others have, but no, I'm still using the old fashioned big pot on the stove technique...

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page