Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1145 Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Moggie - On your lighted frames, when viewed from the side, can you see the aluminum portion of the Spotlight frame? When I laid the Spotlight frame on my backer box it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb and will probably be worse once everything is painted black. Trying to decide if I want to cover it somehow so I'm curious what your experience was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1145 Old 04-04-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Moggie - On your lighted frames, when viewed from the side, can you see the aluminum portion of the Spotlight frame? When I laid the Spotlight frame on my backer box it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb and will probably be worse once everything is painted black. Trying to decide if I want to cover it somehow so I'm curious what your experience was?

Sorry, been dealing with a family tragedy.

The aluminum is not visible because the frame I made has an overhanging lip that hides the side of the spotlight frame. A couple of other ideas come to mind:

1. You could route a slight recess and set the aluminum frame into it. This couldn't be very deep because the frame would then not open, but even a slight recess would help.
2. Paint or use a couple of layers with a permanent black sharpie to make all the aluminum black. This would probably disguise it enough.

- Paul.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1143 of 1145 Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Moggie,

Family tragedy ...
Thoughts and Prayers to you and yours!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1144 of 1145 Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Sorry, been dealing with a family tragedy.

The aluminum is not visible because the frame I made has an overhanging lip that hides the side of the spotlight frame. A couple of other ideas come to mind:

1. You could route a slight recess and set the aluminum frame into it. This couldn't be very deep because the frame would then not open, but even a slight recess would help.
2. Paint or use a couple of layers with a permanent black sharpie to make all the aluminum black. This would probably disguise it enough.

- Paul.

Thanks for the response Moggie. I ended up wrapping the edge with electrical tape. I hope it stays over the long term.

Sorry to hear that Moggie. Prayers for you and your family.
post #1145 of 1145 Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply moggie. Been away for a while with a new job. Got some free time again and looking forward to do some research again. Read your whole thread again for a start.
Actually I was looking for A/V and Automation (IR etc..) wiring if you have them .
Since I'm a novice for most of the equipments you used in the theater, I must do more reading and get familiar with them. Started to read some woodworking books though.
Have some experience with hand tools, but would have to buy some machines if I ever want to achieve a fraction of the quality of your work.

-Dan.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page