Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vanice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southside Indy
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Moggie - On your lighted frames, when viewed from the side, can you see the aluminum portion of the Spotlight frame? When I laid the Spotlight frame on my backer box it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb and will probably be worse once everything is painted black. Trying to decide if I want to cover it somehow so I'm curious what your experience was?
vanice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-04-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Moggie - On your lighted frames, when viewed from the side, can you see the aluminum portion of the Spotlight frame? When I laid the Spotlight frame on my backer box it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb and will probably be worse once everything is painted black. Trying to decide if I want to cover it somehow so I'm curious what your experience was?

Sorry, been dealing with a family tragedy.

The aluminum is not visible because the frame I made has an overhanging lip that hides the side of the spotlight frame. A couple of other ideas come to mind:

1. You could route a slight recess and set the aluminum frame into it. This couldn't be very deep because the frame would then not open, but even a slight recess would help.
2. Paint or use a couple of layers with a permanent black sharpie to make all the aluminum black. This would probably disguise it enough.

- Paul.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Moggie is offline  
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cuzed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 4,886
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Moggie,

Family tragedy ...
Thoughts and Prayers to you and yours!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
cuzed2 is offline  
Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vanice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southside Indy
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Sorry, been dealing with a family tragedy.

The aluminum is not visible because the frame I made has an overhanging lip that hides the side of the spotlight frame. A couple of other ideas come to mind:

1. You could route a slight recess and set the aluminum frame into it. This couldn't be very deep because the frame would then not open, but even a slight recess would help.
2. Paint or use a couple of layers with a permanent black sharpie to make all the aluminum black. This would probably disguise it enough.

- Paul.

Thanks for the response Moggie. I ended up wrapping the edge with electrical tape. I hope it stays over the long term.

Sorry to hear that Moggie. Prayers for you and your family.
vanice is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply moggie. Been away for a while with a new job. Got some free time again and looking forward to do some research again. Read your whole thread again for a start.
Actually I was looking for A/V and Automation (IR etc..) wiring if you have them .
Since I'm a novice for most of the equipments you used in the theater, I must do more reading and get familiar with them. Started to read some woodworking books though.
Have some experience with hand tools, but would have to buy some machines if I ever want to achieve a fraction of the quality of your work.

-Dan.
danwee is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 AM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Simon, I don't have the IR to the grafik eye up and running but I have a cat6 cable ready for that function. I'm actually using the newer QS version of the GE with has both an IR receiver and a hardwired IR input. I was planning on using the hardwire connection.

As an aside I haven't connected any of the IR yet because I'm still deciding on which way to go with automation. I think I'm just going to use one of the better programmable remotes (phillips proto probably) and a IR distribution system (Xantech) and a single remote switchable outlet. I think I can achieve all the automation I need with these components. That said, automation is the last thing on my todo list!

Edit: I reread your last post and it seems you are using the hardwired connection. I'm sure I read Xantech as a compatible IR device in Lutron literature...
Moggie.. Have some questions.
This is about automation. Just trying to figure out how you did it and I draw a diagram depicting the automation components. (Please see the attached photo)
Am I getting it right or something's missing?
And the questions assuming diagram is correct.
1. I think you connect the Integra directly to the access point with a Cat5 cable so that your iRule remote comunicate with it through IP. Is that correct?
2.How do you control other media components? (ie. Projector, Bluray Player.. etc.) Do you have IR emitters from Global cache to each component?
3.Also wall station has the capability of controlling media components or does it control only the lighting? (I think grafik-eye system doesn't have the capability to control AV components)

I might have more questions on other areas, and will ask them as they come.
Thanks

-Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WS000005.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	199281  
danwee is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi Dan,

There is one big missing component in your drawing -- I have IR control of every device. To achieve this I have a IR sensor mounted above the screen (behind the black cloth) and another in the little "control room". This sensors are connected to a Xantech IR amplified distribution block and I use the 8 outputs to connect to every device. The reason for this is that it allows me to control the theater from any of the original remotes whilst in the room. I rarely use this ability now but it was very useful whilst programming iRule.

In addition to the IR distribution I have a GlobalCache IP2IR receiver to allow iRule to generate IR codes. Now, this would have been sufficient but for better reliability and to get feedback I directly wired IP capable components to my ethernet hub (which is connected to my wireless router). When programming iRule I configured both the GlobalCache IP2IR and the direct IP wired units (like the Integra processor) as gateways. Where I could I used IP codes so that I could exploit feedback (Integra) and IR for the rest.

Make sense?

- Paul.

PS The wall station is just controls the lighting at the door. I use the iPad for everything including lighting when in the theater.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"

Last edited by Moggie; 08-09-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added postscript
Moggie is offline  
Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Hi Dan,

There is one big missing component in your drawing -- I have IR control of every device. To achieve this I have a IR sensor mounted above the screen (behind the black cloth) and another in the little "control room". This sensors are connected to a Xantech IR amplified distribution block and I use the 8 outputs to connect to every device. The reason for this is that it allows me to control the theater from any of the original remotes whilst in the room. I rarely use this ability now but it was very useful whilst programming iRule.

In addition to the IR distribution I have a GlobalCache IP2IR receiver to allow iRule to generate IR codes. Now, this would have been sufficient but for better reliability and to get feedback I directly wired IP capable components to my ethernet hub (which is connected to my wireless router). When programming iRule I configured both the GlobalCache IP2IR and the direct IP wired units (like the Integra processor) as gateways. Where I could I used IP codes so that I could exploit feedback (Integra) and IR for the rest.

Make sense?

- Paul.

PS The wall station is just controls the lighting at the door. I use the iPad for everything including lighting when in the theater.
Thanks Paul.
I'm having a hard time understanding automation system. Web is full of information of different systems and components that doesn't make it easier.
I did some addition to my original sketch based on your reply.
But still I can't understand why you said that Xantech Amplified Connecting Block is an essential part of your control system if you don't use it much. If Im understanding it correct, Xantech connection block is needed only as an IR relay, but as long as you use iRule I don't see much use of it.
Or you are connecting the IR gateway and Xantech connection block connected (Red dashed line on the second attachment) so that iRule signal codes relayed to each individual component (through IR Gateway->Xantech Block).?

And if you don't mind can you give me an instance how you start the theater to watch a movie from,
1. A file stored on the NAS
2. Bluray player.

Sorry for asking lot of questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WS000006.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	207097   Click image for larger version

Name:	WS000007.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	207105  
danwee is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Dan, firstly, no problem asking questions. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer.

The second illustration you posted is very close to what I set up. The only addition is that I have three inputs to the Xantech IR distribution block: two IR sensors as well as one of the outputs on the Global Cache IP2IR.

So why did I need the Xantech?

Well, firstly all my components are not in line of sight from within the theater. The projector and automated lens lift is in a hush box, the Oppo in the closet area, the rest of the components outside the room. The automated screen masking doesn't have a IR sensor so has to be direct wired as does the GE lighting unit. I think I have 7 units to control with IR. The Global Cache IP unit has 3 outputs only one is amplified (I recall) thus it was not convenient to wire IR emitters to 7 devices in multiple locations. The Xantech performed this role. If your layout is different and don't need the 7 IR transmitters wired to different locations you might be able to get away without this.

Why did I need IR control of everything?

Technically I don't now that everything is setup with iRule. The Oppo, projector and processor are all IP controlled, reducing the number of IR devices to 4. However, during the setup phase and when delving into obscure part of the remote that I have never duplicated in iRule I need(ed) to use the original remotes. Having a base IR distribution solves these problems.

What is a typical procedure to watch a movie?
1. Make popcorn ;-)
2. Hit the movie button on my iRule/iPad. This sequences just about everything: lighting mode, turns everything on, defaults to the Dune media player input, etc. Dune automatically starts up with the Zappitti interface.
3. Hit the "movie" mode lighting button once everyone is seated.
4. Browse Zappitti movie catalog which are all movies ripped to my NAS (to the piracy watchdog committee: I also own these blue rays) via iRule.
5. Select the movie.

[if not a 2.35:1 movie I have to hit one more button to get back to 16:9 aspect ration because my masking and anamorphic lens defaults to this mode during power up]

I really want to automate some pre-movie music but haven't got round to that yet.

To watch a bluray (which is rarer because I usually rip to NAS first), steps 4 & 5 would be replaced with:
4. Switch to Oppo via iRule
5. Hit Oppo play, skip, skip, play, skip, skip, skip, ...., then play (you know the forced bluray preview crap).

The only additional control I might use during the movie is to use the Intermission/Resume macros I set up, or change audio mode.

Clearer?

- Paul.

PS Forget to mention that as iRule sends control codes to perform the macros described in the sequences above, it will use different paths to send the codes. E.g. to control the processor it uses IP directly, to control the automated masking it exploits the Global Cache IP2IR which is fed to Xentech and distributed via cat 5 to masking motors, etc.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"

Last edited by Moggie; 08-11-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added PS
Moggie is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Paul. It's pretty clear now. Very detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
What is a typical procedure to watch a movie?
1. Make popcorn ;-)
.......
That's funny. Not going to automate it?
danwee is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwee View Post
That's funny. Not going to automate it?
I bet others have, but no, I'm still using the old fashioned big pot on the stove technique...

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Moggie is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
gamest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Question for you, Moggie


I am new for AVS and so it would not let me send you a message/email so I am asking here,



I have the same preamp and the same Klipsch subs with the 1000amp(do you use that?). If you are running audyssey what value does it come up with for speaker level on that SUB channel? if you do not run audyssey then what value did you calibrate the Sub amp level and DHC 80.1 preout Sub levels to? I have a Seaton HP and this sub with the KA1000 amp almost turned to the lowest level and still audyssey sets that Sub channel to -12db. I was wondering if you had this problem?

Thanks
gamest is offline  
Old 03-09-2015, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi gamest, sorry -- I haven't been on AVS this past week. Regarding your sub/amp question:

I do use the two Klipsch subs at the rear of the room to help balance but I don't use the Klipsch 1000amp. Originally I intended to but the unit went up in a puff of white smoke (literally) during early calibration. I replaced it with a Behringer EP4000 amp (using just one channel, the other is used for the tactile transducers in the seats).

I can't answer the Audyssey question because there are various components in the chain that can amplify / attenuate the LFE signal. Specifically I feed the sub output from the DHC80.1 to a Behringer DCX2496 EQ. This unit is programmed to split the signal into 3 streams (front IB subs, rear subs and seat transducers) each of which is EQ'd separately. By the time the signal reaches the amp it's level is already different from that of the DHC80.1. Then the amp has it's own gain control which I set to a fix position. I manually EQ'd and balanced the subs before I let Audyssey run so it didn't actually do much to the sub level. If for some reason it came out at one of the limits for adjustment then I would simply compensate for the gain somewhere else in the chain and rerun Audyssey. Of course, if Audyssey made this much change from my manual setup, either it is wrong or I didn't calibrate very well in the first place ;-)

Hope this helps.

- Paul.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Moggie is offline  
Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Senior Member
 
gamest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Hi gamest, sorry -- I haven't been on AVS this past week. Regarding your sub/amp question:

I do use the two Klipsch subs at the rear of the room to help balance but I don't use the Klipsch 1000amp. Originally I intended to but the unit went up in a puff of white smoke (literally) during early calibration. I replaced it with a Behringer EP4000 amp (using just one channel, the other is used for the tactile transducers in the seats).

I can't answer the Audyssey question because there are various components in the chain that can amplify / attenuate the LFE signal. Specifically I feed the sub output from the DHC80.1 to a Behringer DCX2496 EQ. This unit is programmed to split the signal into 3 streams (front IB subs, rear subs and seat transducers) each of which is EQ'd separately. By the time the signal reaches the amp it's level is already different from that of the DHC80.1. Then the amp has it's own gain control which I set to a fix position. I manually EQ'd and balanced the subs before I let Audyssey run so it didn't actually do much to the sub level. If for some reason it came out at one of the limits for adjustment then I would simply compensate for the gain somewhere else in the chain and rerun Audyssey. Of course, if Audyssey made this much change from my manual setup, either it is wrong or I didn't calibrate very well in the first place ;-)

Hope this helps.

- Paul.
Yes thanks for the help, and that is what I thought you might have been doing. Sorry to hear about the original amp dieing like that, as THAT must have bean a spectral. I hope it will not happen to mine. I figured as much on how you controlled your DIY fronts and rear subs with some form of Deq system. I might do the same and will look into that.

I am just baffled as why Audyssey or the amp is thinking this is such a hot line or gain attenuation issue? Both should play well with each other being both meet THXU2 certs. I will be dialing in the Seaton HP in the back of the room along with Klipsch in the front. A bit of a reversal to what you have done. I wanted the mid bass of the Klipsch to mate with my front Atlantic Technology 450s and the lower deep bass in the back with the Seaton. I guess my last question is did/do you feel that Audyssey was even needed to be on? I mean, after doing all of your own calibration why use Audyssey? I did calibration back in the 90s(no computational tools like we have now) when it was a major pain and was hoping that Audyssey now was good enough, that I could let it do all the work. I am starting to think I will just invest the time and equipment and do it right. Anyways, thank you, and I will note you in my Build here soon. Your build inspired me in so many ways
gamest is offline  
Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Hey Moggie, how is the "Old Vic" treating you? Any plans to upgrade to Atmos?

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Hey Moggie, how is the "Old Vic" treating you? Any plans to upgrade to Atmos?
Sorry, tardy response... I've been busy with another project (whole house remodel) and exhaustion has been keeping me from the forum!

The theater has been treating me well. It went unused for a couple of months when I used the space for storage (), but I'm very happy its back in regular use. I just had some friends stay with me from the UK and their kids were in awe of the "underground" theater. I told them that their dad would build them one but that didn't go down to well with the busy dad!

I'm not sure of about Atmos, at least Atmos at the Old Vic. The quality of the surround is so good already I'm not sure it would add much for the effort it would take. Never, say never. I do have a plan on how I could upgrade in the future. Perhaps I'll consider again when its time to upgrade processor/projector.

Cheers!

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Moggie is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

I'm not sure of about Atmos, at least Atmos at the Old Vic. The quality of the surround is so good already I'm not sure it would add much for the effort it would take. Never, say never. I do have a plan on how I could upgrade in the future. Perhaps I'll consider again when its time to upgrade processor/projector.

Cheers!

You really need to reconsider Atmos............IMHO, biggest leap in audio since I can remember! Audio now has a life of its own.........definitely a game changer!!
doublewing11 is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 31,875
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 2605
Harder to execute properly than traditional 7.1

It's worth it I agree, but only if you do it right. I recently visited a diy theater (un named) that was a very poor execution and the effect was actually worse than 7.1 considerably.

The technology is great but it's dependent upon proper set up and execution. The tech was originally developed for commercial cinema (large spaces) and its increasingly challenging from an acoustic perspective to get it right at home (small spaces).

There is nothing wrong with a great 7.1 system either. They are still an awesome experience.
Mfusick is online now  
Old 07-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
WhereToStart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, this thread reads better than a novel. I scan the boards daily but rarely get sucked into any particular thread, mostly I just scan looking for information that might someday be helpful. Your thread, on the other hand, I started yesterday and could not stop until I finished every post in the 39 pages. I know I'm echoing the chorus, but wow, astounding craftsmanship and execution on this theater Moggie. I'm no where near ready to start on my own, but your thread has encouraged me as I share the mindset of not wanting to pay someone else to do something that I think I should be able to learn to do. At the same time, your thread depressed the hell out of me as your abilities go so far beyond the realm of DIY that it set a standard in my head that I know I can never achieve, haha. In some ways I wish I could forgot everything I read!

Thanks for the amazing documentation of the entire process as well. I hope to someday steal, ahem, utilize some of your ideas!
WhereToStart is offline  
Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
You really need to reconsider Atmos............IMHO, biggest leap in audio since I can remember! Audio now has a life of its own.........definitely a game changer!!
Well that quite an endorsement! Don't get me wrong, I think concept of object based audio is fantastic. I'm just questioning if extra ceiling speakers is going to add a noticeable effect to my HT. I'll keep an open mind though. Anyone in the California bay area want to demo Atmos for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToStart View Post
Wow, this thread reads better than a novel.
Thank you! Ideas are passed around this forum. My HT pulls from many sources so please do use as inspiration...

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Moggie is offline  
Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Moggie
How's everything going. Hope you enjoying the theater.
I have a little question for you.

Somewhere I read in this thread that you rarely use bluray disc to watch movies, instead you stream from a (NAS?) server to a player.

Here are my questions.

1.What is your copying (ripping) methodology? do you copy blu ray disk to HDD at 1:1 or do you compress? and do you only copy the main movie?
2.what softwares you use to copy/compress?
3.what ratio you compress if you do? Is there any quality loss visible when you watch it in the big screen (if you compress the movies)?
3.can you describe your streaming setup? (what equipments you use)

That's a lot of question but please help.
Thank you in advance.
danwee is offline  
Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Moggie
How's everything going. Hope you enjoying the theater.
I have a little question for you.

Somewhere I read in this thread that you rarely use bluray disc to watch movies, instead you stream from a (NAS?) server to a player.

Here are my questions.

1.What is your copying (ripping) methodology? do you copy blu ray disk to HDD at 1:1 or do you compress? and do you only copy the main movie?
2.what softwares you use to copy/compress?
3.what ratio you compress if you do? Is there any quality loss visible when you watch it in the big screen (if you compress the movies)?
3.can you describe your streaming setup? (what equipments you use)

That's a lot of question but please help.
Thank you in advance.
danwee is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwee View Post
Hi Moggie
How's everything going. Hope you enjoying the theater.
I have a little question for you.

Somewhere I read in this thread that you rarely use bluray disc to watch movies, instead you stream from a (NAS?) server to a player.

Here are my questions.

1.What is your copying (ripping) methodology? do you copy blu ray disk to HDD at 1:1 or do you compress? and do you only copy the main movie?
2.what softwares you use to copy/compress?
3.what ratio you compress if you do? Is there any quality loss visible when you watch it in the big screen (if you compress the movies)?
3.can you describe your streaming setup? (what equipments you use)

That's a lot of question but please help.
Thank you in advance.
Hi Danwee,

I'm doing fine -- still lurking around here from time to time. Also been keeping busy on a whole house remodel...

You are right that I'd hardly used my Oppo blue ray player at all, preferring to stream via my Dune media player. My setup consists of:
  • 16TB QNAP NAS (model: TS-859 Pro+) with Seagate Barracuda LP "Green" hard disks. All my media files: movies, video, music & photos are shared as a number of Samba & NFS volumes.
  • Dune HD Smart D1 media player. This is setup to access the media volumes on the NAS and played back through my Integra pre/pro.
  • Zappiti Media library skin. This is loaded onto the Dune SD card for speedy indexing, but could also just be stored on the NAS

All my movies are stored as MKV files containing just the main movie, premium audio soundtrack and English subtitles (just in case of forced subtitles). I don't bother with anything else. I create this using the makemkv software which can be used to extract just the desired content from the disk without any compression or other manipulation. MKV is just a container file format and works well with the Dune. Note, given the sensitivity to piracy, I do own all my movies. I have over 2000 in my collection now and only rip to the NAS to allow for simple, efficient playback and easy searching.

I don't compress anything -- having put so my energy into my HT I want every last bit of audio/visual experience.

Hope this helps.
damelon and BllDo like this.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Moggie is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Hi Danwee,

I'm doing fine -- still lurking around here from time to time. Also been keeping busy on a whole house remodel...

You are right that I'd hardly used my Oppo blue ray player at all, preferring to stream via my Dune media player. My setup consists of:
  • 16TB QNAP NAS (model: TS-859 Pro+) with Seagate Barracuda LP "Green" hard disks. All my media files: movies, video, music & photos are shared as a number of Samba & NFS volumes.
  • Dune HD Smart D1 media player. This is setup to access the media volumes on the NAS and played back through my Integra pre/pro.
  • Zappiti Media library skin. This is loaded onto the Dune SD card for speedy indexing, but could also just be stored on the NAS

All my movies are stored as MKV files containing just the main movie, premium audio soundtrack and English subtitles (just in case of forced subtitles). I don't bother with anything else. I create this using the makemkv software which can be used to extract just the desired content from the disk without any compression or other manipulation. MKV is just a container file format and works well with the Dune. Note, given the sensitivity to piracy, I do own all my movies. I have over 2000 in my collection now and only rip to the NAS to allow for simple, efficient playback and easy searching.

I don't compress anything -- having put so my energy into my HT I want every last bit of audio/visual experience.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for the reply. That cleared a lot of things.

That's exactly what I decided doing after much thought. Use MakeMKV only with main movie and and DTS-HD/True-HD audio + English subtitles. No compression.

Except, media player. You mean you are playing the media file from a dedicated media player instead of HTPC. Am I right?
I have zero experience with those dedicated media players, but do you think can I use a HTPC with a proper graphic card with bitstream support instead or there going to be a quality difference? Have you ever given a thought about it?

And some questions about dune player.

1.Does it support bitstreaming for sound quality? I don't know if this question makes sense, anyway just as a start.
2.And does it support .pgs subtitles? (I think since you didn't mention anything on subtitle conversion it must support it).

Thanks a lot again.
danwee is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Moggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, Bay Area
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwee View Post
Except, media player. You mean you are playing the media file from a dedicated media player instead of HTPC. Am I right?
I have zero experience with those dedicated media players, but do you think can I use a HTPC with a proper graphic card with bitstream support instead or there going to be a quality difference? Have you ever given a thought about it?

And some questions about dune player.

1.Does it support bitstreaming for sound quality? I don't know if this question makes sense, anyway just as a start.
2.And does it support .pgs subtitles? (I think since you didn't mention anything on subtitle conversion it must support it).

Thanks a lot again.
Danwee, yes I use the dedicated media player (Dune HD) instead of a HTPC. I could have gone the HTPC route, but prefer the simplicity of the Dune -- turn on and ready to go. I don't think the Dune HD D1 is sold anymore(?) but it is very capable. Yes, it streams the raw audio "bitstream" so the pre/pro can decode the DTS-HD or other sound encoding. It also supports subtitles. I recall needing to add a configuration hack to automatically detect forced subtitles, but that was a while ago and think the latest firmware fixed this. When I researched media players I was convinced the Dune HD was the best for my needs and it has multiple "skin" (user interface) options such as Zappitti, yaDIS, etc. I've heard of some issues/delays when folks have used it to playback an ISO images, but it has never failed me with MKV files...

Cheers!

Edit: I found the product specs for the Dune Smart HD D1

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"

Last edited by Moggie; 12-16-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Moggie is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Danwee, yes I use the dedicated media player (Dune HD) instead of a HTPC. I could have gone the HTPC route, but prefer the simplicity of the Dune -- turn on and ready to go. I don't think the Dune HD D1 is sold anymore(?) but it is very capable. Yes, it streams the raw audio "bitstream" so the pre/pro can decode the DTS-HD or other sound encoding. It also supports subtitles. I recall needing to add a configuration hack to automatically detect forced subtitles, but that was a while ago and think the latest firmware fixed this. When I researched media players I was convinced the Dune HD was the best for my needs and it has multiple "skin" (user interface) options such as Zappitti, yaDIS, etc. I've heard of some issues/delays when folks have used it to playback an ISO images, but it has never failed me with MKV files...

Cheers!

Edit: I found the product specs for the Dune Smart HD D1
Great. That was very helpful.
Really appreciate it.
danwee is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 AM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Moggie
Sorry to bother you again.
This time it's about screen.
I'm reading your screen build several times top to bottom but still I can't understand some of the things you described. The masking system is really difficult for me to grab.

Here's a couple of questions to start with.I'm asking these question in your thread because I'm very interested knowing the reasoning behind your decisions.

1.Before asking about masking system, you said you are using an HD-6000R A-Lens with the projector.
Can't we set the projector to fill the 2.35:1 image on the screen without an A-Lens ? Does the projector of 16:9 native A/R project black bars top/bottom when 2.35:1 material being viewed (Diagram 1) or does it fill the 16:9 screen area (Diagram 2)? (Please see attached picture). I think it should be diagram 1. So if we just zoom in the lens or move the projector away from the screen won't it fill the 2.35 screen as in Diagram 3? (The letter box bars will be overshoot on to the wall).

2. And if the diagram 1 is the picture projector will give you, you have to use the vertical strech function before using an A-Lens?

3.And I think blu ray movies comes in several formats such as 2:4.1,2.35:1 or 1.85:1. Since the projector gives you a picture of 16:9, you use A-Lens for all the formats? Or you use the A-Lens only when viewing 2.4:1 material?


4.Isn't it correct the choosing a 4:3 screen of 130" wide (with horizontol masking) over a 2.40:1 screen of 130" wide (with vertical masking) will give you the maximum utilization of your screen wall?(the 2.35 format actually turns out to be the smallest screen you can install from a total square footage perspective.http://www.projectorcentral.com/235_home_theater.htm)
If so why you decided on 2.40:1?

I have some more questions specific to your build, will ask them in another post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2015-12-20 at 17.13.39.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1131218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2015-12-20 at 17.47.38.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1131226  
danwee is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 05:47 AM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To answer my own question number 2, is this a good explanation?
"Vertical video rescaling a vital step

The anamorphic lens optically stretches the image horizontally. In order for this to work the projector needs to be able to distort the image in an equal and opposite manner, so it comes out looking normal on the screen. Many projectors have a rescaling option to accomplish this. On the projector's display, the 2.35 picture will be stretched vertically to use the entire height of the 16:9 format. In this mode, if the anamorphic lens is not in place, you would see the 2.35 picture stretched vertically to fill a 16:9 screen so that objects and people look excessively tall and skinny. As you slide the anamorphic lens into place, the image maintains its height, but stretches out horizontally to fill the entire width of the 2.35 screen and everything looks normal once again.

If your projector does not have the rescaling option to distort a 2.35 image vertically, you must either acquire a projector that does, or get an external video processor that will perform this task. And it must rescale all signal types you plan to use. Some projectors may rescale 480i, but not 720p or 1080i. Some may rescale component video but not HDMI. Test your projector's aspect ratio options on every signal type before making the leap to a 2.35 screen and an anamorphic lens."

So you opted this instead of zooming, and its because you get better PQ?

Last edited by danwee; 12-20-2015 at 05:58 AM.
danwee is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Read it once more and got 90% of what you said. Some questions.

1.When you order roller tubes you have to get them from somfy or can you use something cheap from the local hardware store?
2. What do you think using a stepping motor instead of expensive somfy motor.
3.Instead of crossing the bungys at midway channel, why didn't you just swap the channels on the opposite end?

Thanks.
danwee is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Member
 
danwee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Read it once more and got 90% of what you said. Some questions.

1.When you order roller tubes you have to get them from somfy or can you use something cheap from the local hardware store?
2. What do you think using a stepping motor instead of expensive somfy motor.
3.Instead of crossing the bungys at midway channel, why didn't you just swap the channels on the opposite end?

Thanks.
danwee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off