Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #1171 of 1178 Old 12-25-2015, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Merry Christmas everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwee View Post
Read it once more and got 90% of what you said. Some questions.

1.When you order roller tubes you have to get them from somfy or can you use something cheap from the local hardware store?
2. What do you think using a stepping motor instead of expensive somfy motor.
3.Instead of crossing the bungys at midway channel, why didn't you just swap the channels on the opposite end?

Thanks.
Danwee, there is lots of information (and debate) about the differences between zooming and using and anamorphic lens elsewhere on the forum. With the advent of 4K and bright, high contrast projectors the advantages of going Anamorphic are dwindling but essentially it allows for maximum projector resolution and squeezes some extra brightness out of a projector.

As for your questions:
1. I obtained the rollers from (random) blind dealer on the web. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. All you need is the right size of Aluminium tubing and some strong double sided sticky tape to attach the end of fabric. Make sure you retain at least one wrap minimum to prevent the fabric from pulling off.
2. I was originally going to use a stepper motor and build a control circuit. The decision is one of effort vs reward... the Somfy motors can remember 5 different stops and are simple to automate. The equivalent stepper motor control circuitry/software would be quite complex and probably just as expensive, if not more so. If you want just two positions/aspect ratios (open and closed) then an external sensor to detect the stop position would simplify things. The beauty of the Somfy system is multiple stops/aspect ratios, quick setup and easy programming/control.
3. If I understand what you are saying correctly then this might work so long as you get enough stretch (and recall "pull") out of the short bungy cord. My design was to create a constant pull over the entire range of movement. If the bungy is too short, it wont pull strong enough at the minimum aspect ratio... the longer the bungy the more constant the recall force.

Hope this helps...

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1178 Old 12-27-2015, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Moggie.
Regarding the 3rd question, what I wanted to say was something like depicted in the sketch I draw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2015-12-28 at 14.35.24.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1145794  
post #1173 of 1178 Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwee View Post
Thanks Moggie.
Regarding the 3rd question, what I wanted to say was something like depicted in the sketch I draw.
Ok, I see what you are saying. Sure this would work but the masks will be at different heights. Be careful, if a mask is too far away from the surface of the screen you will get a shadow and a less than clean edge to the side of the image.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #1174 of 1178 Old 12-31-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Ok, I see what you are saying. Sure this would work but the masks will be at different heights. Be careful, if a mask is too far away from the surface of the screen you will get a shadow and a less than clean edge to the side of the image.
OK. Got it.
Thanks a lot.
post #1175 of 1178 Old 12-31-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
OK. Got it.
Thanks a lot.
post #1176 of 1178 Old 01-09-2016, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there pad on the vertical carpet areas?

Hi @Moggie
Hope you had a Happy New Year, but I'm sure you took barely a breath of relaxation due to the whole house reno you have ongoing ;-)

Quick question: for the vertical parts of your riser that are carpeted, I assume there is no pad there, correct? Just wanted to ask to be sure. I'm going to have a few removable panels in two different areas of my riser to ensure I can access and replace the strip lights in case anything ever fails, and I want to plan for the thickness of the carpeted sides and such.

Thanks again for all the great info from your thread.
-Terry

GoldenEar Triton Two mains, SuperSat 6C center, 4 SuperSat 3 surrounds, Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic AE-8000U. Retrofitting Carada 110" 1.78:1 Criterion Screen - Classic Cinema White into an AT screen (in-work)
post #1177 of 1178 Old 01-10-2016, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Quick question: for the vertical parts of your riser that are carpeted, I assume there is no pad there, correct? Just wanted to ask to be sure. I'm going to have a few removable panels in two different areas of my riser to ensure I can access and replace the strip lights in case anything ever fails, and I want to plan for the thickness of the carpeted sides and such.
Hi Terry, no padding is used in the vertical (riser/step) are of the carpeting, just the horizontal surfaces. If you are planning access panels in the carpet then you want to be careful with fraying at the edges over time. I believe there is a tape/adhesive to help prevent this.

And yes, the whole house remodel is killing me... trying to bend a walnut stair railing at the moment. I'm having to build a wood steamer to be able to bend at the desired radius

Cheers!

post #1178 of 1178 Unread Today, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Well I made some good progress this week although it is never as fast as I want. I did manage to get a bunch of little things ordered including fabric and vaneer samples. Boy it feels good to be thinking about details like that.

I also had another conversation with bpape so he can move forward on the acoustic treatment plan.

Anyway, I just about finished the stage. No prize for originality here, this is now a familiar design to avid AVS'ers. Buy hey, I don't think I could improve on it so I just copied it.

I'm going to pick up some sand tomorrow so I can fill it and close it up. Anyone want to guess how many bags I'll need? I have quite a pile of bags already -- the past few trips to HD I've bee bringing home 6 bags at a time. I figured that
everyone complains about the day they spent lugging sand bags so I thought I'd spread it out a little
Hey Moogie, what kind of material is the black one below the stage, is this some sort of rubber for decoupling it from the OSB bottom?

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2510P, S-150P, MPS-2525P, SS-250P
Stereo Integrity HT18 D4 subwoofer drivers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread