With the HVAC complete and an annoying plumbing leak that meant ripping down the wall and ceiling of a downstairs bathroom (above the theater) I was ready for closing up the room. BTW you will never guess the cause of the leak.... the previous home owner had hung a large painting on the wall with a beefy nail. Unbeknown to them they had hammered it right into a 4" drain pipe. It probably sat for years like that until I moved in and removed the nail... The thing is that it was not obvious where the leak was. Result: another weekend wasted re-drywalling a bathroom!!
Back to the theater build. Like a fellow builder (KNKKNK) I'm building a completely free standing room within a room. Consequently that needed a little bit of shear support. I was always planning to add OSB sheathing to two of the walls and ceiling for this purpose, but I made a mistake: I carefully made a spreadsheet for all the flat materials I was going to need in the next phase (OSB/Drywall/MDF). The spreadsheet was for one layer and of course, I was doing DD and GG so I doubled it.. The result was delivery of a much larger stack of OSB than I anticipated:
The OSB is pretty cheap so it was more cost effective to just use it and cover every surface. (Sorry KNKKNK, I wasn't intending to duplicate you on this one).
Also, I wasn't satisfied with the feel of the dricore on the lower level which will be carpeted -- I'm very sensitive to spongy/springy feel. Therefore I decided to add a few more tapcons to the dricore and layer additional 3/4" subfloor with a layer of green glue in between. I'm really happy with the feel now, so I don't care whether or not there are acoustic benefits to this.
Even though it is just OSB, the room has a strange warm feeling to it. It's sonic character has also change quite dramatically now -- when I dog visits me and barks the ringing is painful to the ears.
Whlist adding the OSB I also came up with a cunning plan (Black Adder quote there). As I've described previously I'm building a IB sub in the front 3' of the room. One (perhaps the only one) of the disadvantages to an IB is that it is practically impossible to move it around to tune the base. Most IB builders use a parabolic equalizer to help tune the response but I'm taking a slightly different approach: You see I have two perfectly good Klipsch KW-120-THX subs as part of the Ultra 2 set I purchased on ebay last year. So, in a classic case of utter overkill I'm going to put the IB sub at the center of the front wall (4x18" drivers BTW) *and* the two Klipsch subs at the center of the rear. I'm then plan on using a Audyssey SVS AS-EQ1 to optimize the dual subwoofers. More on this as it unfolds. It will either be crazy good or just plain crazy. We'll see.
Anyway to prevent the rear subs from getting in the way I opened up the rear wall and made a recessed area in preparation:
Whilst talking about subs, I have decided to attempt another first (as far as I know) and mount the IB sub on the sand filled stage. The rational is to avoid directly coupling 4 x 18" drivers to my walls but instead to mount it to the stage and then build/seal the wall around it. The process is going to be a little tricky but I have a plan that should unfold in the coming weeks.