Saga of the "Old Vic" - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1145 Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice little machine shop you have, what sort of projects do you play around with? hotrods?

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1145 Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I turned my back for a minute and....

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #183 of 1145 Old 12-12-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I turned my back for a minute and....

Yes, I've picked up the pace lately... somebody has to make up for your slowdown I'm patiently waiting for your updates. The truth is that I have a lot more time on my hands lately (you can read between the lines) so I'm putting it to good use.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #184 of 1145 Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

Nice little machine shop you have, what sort of projects do you play around with? hotrods?

Thanks. It's more of a woodwork shop these days. I use to play around with a lot metal project including classic car restoration but no hotrods. I presume you noticed the green CNC mill/lathe which is one of my favorite toys. It is fascinating to me to watch metal chips fly as it fabricates a part. There isn't much metalwork in theater construction although my outer door will be sliding ticket booth running on a linear motion rail with actuator so I expect to fire up the metalworking tools at least once.

Cheers.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #185 of 1145 Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have filed a grievance with my "DIY THEATER CONSTRUCTION UNION" Rep. !!!!

Section 3.2, paragraph 4, line 6, in the DTC Union rules clearly state: "The utilization of Elves during normal sleep periods to supplement the progress of a DIY theater is strictly prohibited. Note: this ruling also applies to all Elfen Folk, regardless of gender."

It is obvious to all concerned that the recent "expedited pace" of your progress could only have been accomplished with supplemental assistance. I can assure you that a full investigation will uncover the source and all illegal/ undocumented elves (including Elfen Folk) will be caught and deported and serious fines may ensue.

Additionally, the lack of beer cans strewn around the job site, raises other potentially serious questions for which you may be asked to provide additional information.

I can assure you, You Have not heard the last of this!
My people will be in contact with your people.

Regards,
Brad

P.S. Looking good Moggie.

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #186 of 1145 Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

I have filed a grievance with my "DIY THEATER CONSTRUCTION UNION" Rep. !!!!

Section 3.2, paragraph 4, line 6, in the DTC Union rules clearly state: "The utilization of Elves during normal sleep periods to supplement the progress of a DIY theater is strictly prohibited. Note: this ruling also applies to all Elfen Folk, regardless of gender."

It is obvious to all concerned that the recent "expedited pace" of your progress could only have been accomplished with supplemental assistance. I can assure you that a full investigation will uncover the source and all illegal/ undocumented elves (including Elfen Folk) will be caught and deported and serious fines may ensue.

Additionally, the lack of beer cans strewn around the job site, raises other potentially serious questions for which you may be asked to provide additional information.

I can assure you, You Have not heard the last of this!
My people will be in contact with your people.

Regards,
Brad

P.S. Looking good Moggie.

Brad, you are hilarious. I nearly choked on my coffee this morning reading this!

Santa has asked that I return the elves next week though. Apparently he has other plans...

post #187 of 1145 Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Hey! Just read your thread- well looked at all the pics , had missed it all this time. Very nice and I love the outfeed tables for the Table saw!

Next time I am out in your neck of the woods we will have to get togehter for a cold one!

Jeff

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #188 of 1145 Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

Hey! Just read your thread- well looked at all the pics , had missed it all this time. Very nice and I love the outfeed tables for the Table saw!

Next time I am out in your neck of the woods we will have to get togehter for a cold one!

Jeff

Thanks for checking out my build (I've been watching yours!). The outfeed table on the table saw has been well used the past couple of days, it makes it very easy to handle 4x8 sheets myself. However I discovered today that I need my wife's help to rip 4x10 sheets otherwise they topple off the end.

Definitely ping me if you are in the area again..

post #189 of 1145 Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been staring at the big box of J&M duct board to way too long and frankly I was sick of moving it around the theater so I finally committed to putting it where it belongs.

Here are a few shots of the process:

The drywall lift is rapidly becoming my best friend:

I was a little concerns that I might be disrupting the airflow a little too much (despite building relatively large ducts) so I cut up some 6" tin pipe and installed some vanes at all the 90 degree bends.

It was a little tight fitting the final pieces together but it worked out in the end. Of course this picture doesn't capture all my swearing ;-) I also filled any remaining space in the soffit cavity with insulation.

Ted White did suggest that I drywall in this part of the soffit but frankly I'm burned out on drywall for a while so I'm encasing the HVAC with two layers of 1/2" MDF with Green Glue in between. Having the MDF to build against will be an advantage anyway. What do you think Ted?

post #190 of 1145 Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My star ceiling parts arrived this week as expected and put a big smile on my face. I've been waiting for this part of the build for some time.

The illuminator was created for me by Fosi and will allow the installation of two shooting stars and a comet. One of the advantages of this disc system over the LED modules (IMHO) is that it has an analog feel to it.
Each fiber is installed into a separate hole in the illuminator and and light variation (for the twinkle effect) migrates over every fiber.

Anyway before running the fiber I need to get the panels made out of the ultralight MDF sheets. The plan is to create 5 separate panels at the full 10' width and suspend them from the ceiling to cover a 10'x20' area. Cutting the ceiling in two will be a beam/soffit that will carry the projector at a favourable throw distance and allow me to put some lighting directly above the bar.

Adjoining edges will have biscuits installed to ensure the faces are alligned and a compression system will be fitted at either end to ensure the seams are tight. The front couple of panels will house some acoustic treatment so I will need to cover all the panels in some AT fabric.

The panel mounting system I'm using is from Fosi and consists of interlocking extrusions -- one hung on the panel and the other directly on the ceiling.

First the extrusion is fitted to the ceiling:

Then short pieces of extrusion is fitted to the panel. To minimise the space behind the panel I'm bolting the extrusion directly rather than the suggested glued on block.
The location of the hook points is chosen so as to avoid conflict with the (accurate) starfield artwork.

To avoid metal on metal contact I glued a short length of split rubber pipe to the hooks (I discovered I needed this after a trial fitting):

And after a little persuasion I got my wife to help lift the panel into pace for a trial run:

When I talked to bpape about this construction he was a little concerned about a triple leaf effect.
I'm hoping that the 1.5" gap all around each panel and the fact that the larger front section will have holes for acoustic treatment will provide sufficient venting.

post #191 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
VERY Nice workmanship with the HVAC!!
Definetly looking forward to that star ceiling

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #192 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Very impressive work! The soffits are acting as mufflers, so what is the total insulation picture looking like?

1" fiberglass board? What's the total length of the soffit for attenuation?

The double MDF is fine.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #193 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Very impressive work! The soffits are acting as mufflers, so what is the total insulation picture looking like?

1" fiberglass board? What's the total length of the soffit for attenuation?

The double MDF is fine.

Thanks Ted. By "total insulation picture" I assume you are just referring to the HVAC? My theater is on a dedicated 3rd zone with fresh air ventilation, the house HVAC installation uses insulated flex ducts exclusively. The theater zone has uses about 30' of 10" flex duct that then transitions into 1" duct board (larger area than the flex duct). The duct board runs another 20-30' on both the supply and return sides with several turns, the first 15' is in the theater ceiling joist bays, the rest as shown in the recent picture. All the duct board is encased in MDF or drywall (with Green Glue of course!)

There were a few reasons for my approach: (i) to maximum the volume of air moved -- rectangular ducts can utilize more space than round ones, (ii) use some of the space outside the theater for HVAC muffling, (iii) have both a sealed (HVAC) and open (wiring) part of the soffit design, (iv) use of wood rather than drywall in places for structural reasons.

post #194 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Definitely looking forward to that star ceiling

Me too! The only things that are going to slow me down on this is the design of the first reflection treatment and getting some fabric ordered over the Christmas period. I have quite a few fabric samples now, but when all is said and done I think I may just go with the safe bet of GOM FR701 -- although I don't like the weave it will make threading the fibers easier.

post #195 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that. The soffit-muffler works because of the total absorption volume. So length is a factor as well as thickness.

How thick is the stacked 1" fiberglass?

Ted

post #196 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that. The soffit-muffler works because of the total absorption volume. So length is a factor as well as thickness.

How thick is the stacked 1" fiberglass?

You mean the wxh dimensions? 14x9 external, 12x7 internal.

post #197 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

And how thick is the insulation layer overall? That's what I mean. Do you have 2 layers? 3? That's what I'm asking.

Ted

post #198 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And how thick is the insulation layer overall? That's what I mean. Do you have 2 layers? 3? That's what I'm asking.

Ah, not enough coffee obviously. Three layers.

post #199 of 1145 Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That all sounds really great

Ted

post #200 of 1145 Old 12-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Moggie.. Man your just flyin! I got whiplash just watching your progress.

Great work on the HVAC.

Very ingenious attachment method for the star ceiling. Im Trying to visualize the layout of the ceiling.. How many of these panels will you be building for the ceiling, 5?, one rear and four in the middle? will you need more than one controller?

BTW, you guys that keep your work areas and shops so spotless make me feel bad ... Do you think you could make more of a mess in the area for your next pictures.

Brad

post #201 of 1145 Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Moggie.. Man your just flyin! I got whiplash just watching your progress.

Great work on the HVAC.

Very ingenious attachment method for the star ceiling. Im Trying to visualize the layout of the ceiling.. How many of these panels will you be building for the ceiling, 5?, one rear and four in the middle? will you need more than one controller?

BTW, you guys that keep your work areas and shops so spotless make me feel bad ... Do you think you could make more of a mess in the area for your next pictures.

Brad

Flying.. well being jobless has its advantages

The star ceiling is five panels as you describe all connected to a single illuminator hidden in my media closet ceiling. Because the room is long I'm separating the star field with a soffit/beam across the room over the rear bar. This just happens to be a favorable throw distance for the projectors I'm looking at. The soffits are going to be combination hardwood and fabric. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so something like this...

Now, as for a clean shop -- you should see it today! I can hardly breath in there

post #202 of 1145 Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

It's been awfully quite since the elves got deported....

post #203 of 1145 Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's been awfully quite since the elves got deported....

The elves have been caught drunk on several occasions now and have been sent to rehab -- something about the season... They are back on work release and promise and update in a couple of days ;-)

post #204 of 1145 Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I'm finally out of rehab after the holiday season festivities and have been hard at work on the Theater (and been late for dinner several times ... ). Actually that reminds me that over dinner the other day my wife asked why I didn't hire some contractors to help speed up the work. I pointed out that I always finished everything I've started and I want the satisfaction of building this 100% by myself. On hearing this my 8 year old daughter asked "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money". I thought that was hilarious -- she must have heard me talking about my dissatisfaction in the past. In fact I think I'm going to use that quote in my signature...

Back to the build and at the risk of boring everyone, here goes:

I completed the soffit framing, which took a little more time that it could have because of my desire for double light trays and a partitioning beam running over the bar area. The beam will carry the projector and be used as a vent and wiring conduit. I fabricated it on the floor and hoisted it into place with my drywall lift (the label on the lift says DO NOT USE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN DRYWALL ... yeah right).

After the beam was installed the border for the lower (outer) tray was installed. The actual light trays will be fabricated from hardwood and then installed onto this framing, so you have to imagine the trays at this point.

After that it was time to start some wiring and cut the first hole through my drywall shell. After all the soundproofing effort and sealing every hole this was surprising hard to commit to

It was at this point that I realized I had overlooked how I was going to run cables to the screen wall. Luckily I hadn't closed the bottom of the HVAC enclosure up front so was able to run a couple of electrical conduits through before I finished the encasing of the HVAC system up front and cut some outline holes for my linear diffuser supply vents.

I also ran a conduit through the ceiling beam to the right hand wall:

And put the romex feed to the floor in a conduit. Note that this is the only place the line voltage and low voltage circuits get close to one another. Since I have essentially two soffit boxes I'm using the outer one for low voltage and the inner one for line voltage. The inner one will also be where the soffit recessed lighting will be.

post #205 of 1145 Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The wiring is beginning to pile up in the equipment closet:

So here is the current view towards the front. For those that are paying close attention you will notice that the theater is wired for 11.1. I do have spare speakers for either wide or heights but don't plan on installing them initially, but I thought, hey this is 2010 so I might was well be ready for the future especially if these extra channels catch on and are explicitly encoded in the media. Incidentally, a few years back I had a modest theater setup using a Yamaha receiver. After a couple of years I decided to tweak the setup and added the Yamaha wide speakers... I don't know if it was just my room acoustics (or bad initial LCR setup) but instantly the sound stage got much larger and I could hear depth I had not heard before. Anyway, whilst the jury is out about these new channels, I'm at least going to be ready to give them a fair audition.

I did install a second layer on the stage with green glue sandwich, so that is complete other than the trim work -- I am planning a hardwood edge to the stage and step and so have routed the decking flush with the edge.

I also installed some shelves for the LCR speakers (Klipsch KL-650's)

And the current view looking towards the back of the room.

You can see the stack of star ceiling panels which I've made but am waiting for delivery of some GOM FR701 fabric to cover them to hide the embedded OC703 panels at the first reflection points. More on this in a subsequent post.

So what's next...

bpape has completed my acoustical design and I'm now waiting on the first shipment of materials to put it into action. The plan is to treat the front wall, add corner base traps and then to install base traps into all the open soffits. Later I'll get to the side walls and a rather interesting diffusion treatment on the side and rear walls...
I also have to complete the star ceiling and get that hung.

One final task I'm planning is to document the progress and results of the acoustic treatment. I don't think I've seen this done before but one reason to wire up the front speakers and sub woofers is to create waterfall plots as work progresses so hopefully the effect of each treatment can be measured. We'll see, I might have liftoff (I mean sound from 4 subwoofers) by next week..

post #206 of 1145 Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Great work/craftsmenship! If you are jobless, maybe you should look into building theaters
post #207 of 1145 Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Looking good Moggie. You are flying, even with no job! I'm almost embarrased to post pictures of my disaster area after seeing how clean you keep your room. I'm looking forward to your IB impressions since mine will be very similar.
post #208 of 1145 Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Moggie- real nice man! Looking forward to the baby step waterfall plots, that will cool to see for sure. Love the signature that is classic!
Jeff

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #209 of 1145 Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Nice work Moggie!!!!

Lisa Lynn
Star Girl
post #210 of 1145 Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys, thanks for the kind words. It certainly helps on the motivation front to know people are watching.

gitSehT, I'll keep theater building in mind as job plan B!

Lisalynn, judging by your avatar you might be interested in the next phase of the ceiling.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Dune Hd Smart H1 1080p Media Player , Klipsch , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Outlaw 7500 , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Sonos
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page