Bookshelf Speaker Wall Mount Recommentations, Please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, please don't think I didn't try the search function first. I tried variations on "book shelf mounts" and I have not come up with what I'm looking for yet.

I'm finally getting around to mounting my PSB Alphas (9.5 pounds each) on the wall in my living room. My house is very small so the Alphas will have to do as my main speakers. I've already resolved to deal with the fact that I can't have ideal speaker placement. The next best thing is wall mounting the Alphas about 6ft up on the living room wall. I need to be able to point them at the common seating position. I'd like to get a pair of mounts that are reliable, sturdy, and discrete/nice-looking. A low price would be nice too. Good value is more important than cheap to me. I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't live a price-is-no-object lifestyle.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
I considered this inexpensive speaker mount from Monoprice, but it has bad reviews.

I considered this small tv mount from Monoprice that is also inexpensive, but I think the wall plate is a little too big relative to the size of the speakers. This would violate the "nice-looking" parameter that my wife has insisted on.

I'm considering the Omnimount 20.0. But I've read mixed reviews. Some say that the ball-and-socket clamp doesn't hold securely once it's set. And they seem kind of expensive. But they do look discrete/nice. I would image that there are some folks here that have used these who can endorse them or recommend something better.

I figured this would be the place to ask to get the best value and most reliable set of speaker mounts with the pool of experience available here at AVS.
If I'm going to drill holes into my speakers' back panels for mounting, I want to make sure that it's the last set of holes I ever have to put in them.

Or if there's a thread that covers this subject already, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavchat View Post

I figured this would be the place to ask to get the best value and most reliable set of speaker mounts with the pool of experience available here at AVS.
If I'm going to drill holes into my speakers' back panels for mounting, I want to make sure that it's the last set of holes I ever have to put in them.

Or if there's a thread that covers this subject already, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

Thanks

Check these out:
www. surroundsolutions.com/cgi-bin/surroundsolutions.cgi/101116.html?prod=Sanus%20Systems%20WMS2%20Black#addl_photo_a nchor
(remove space between www. and s)

I didn't want to drill any holes in my Paradigms either but with these you don't need to!

PS3 - GreeblerOG
post #3 of 7 Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Go to amazon, search for BT-77 or B-Tech 77. $70.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4 of 7 Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM1 View Post

Check these out:
www. surroundsolutions.com/cgi-bin/surroundsolutions.cgi/101116.html?prod=Sanus%20Systems%20WMS2%20Black#addl_photo_a nchor
(remove space between www. and s)

I didn't want to drill any holes in my Paradigms either but with these you don't need to!

I followed your link to that webpage. I see that those grip the bottom front and back edges. I won't be able to use those because the front edge of my Alphas are beveled and cloth covered. But thanks for lending your suggestion.

I don't mind drilling into the back panel so long as it's being coupled with a mount that will be satisfactory for the duration of the speakers. I don't want to go trial-and-error drilling multiple sets of hole patterns into my speakers in pursuit of that just-right set of mounts.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Go to amazon, search for BT-77 or B-Tech 77. $70.

I did a search at Amazon and didn't find those. So I just Googled it and found them that way.
Since those grip the sides, that might work. One thing I'll need to check though, is whether the 7° tilt limit will be enough range to point it down to seated head-level since I have to put it so high on the wall. It makes sense that there's a tilt limit to these such that the speaker won't escape the grip of the mount. I think the angle I need is steeper and I may have to get mounts that attach with screws. I'll get the protractor out tomorrow and figure an estimate of the downward tilt range that I'll need.

In the meantime, I'm still open for suggestions...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

BTW I did find the BT-77s at Amazon later using Google.

Anyway, I used a protractor and straight edge to estimate the downward angle I need to point the Alphas at seated head level. It's a little over 10°. I guess a few degrees won't make that much difference. But I do want to make this a future-proof investment. I'll need to consider whether I might need more articulation range from whatever mounts I choose, so that this combination of these speakers/mounts remains viable for future applications. That's the nice thing about investing in speakers. While AVRs, Media Players, and other comopnents depreciate in value with evolving technology, quality speakers and amplifiers are much more timeless.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavchat View Post

I considered this inexpensive speaker mount from Monoprice, but it has bad reviews.

Yeah I bought those, and they're a great choice for very light speakers. But for my paradigms (10-15 lbs) they are incapable of holding them straight out.

They are easily modified to be projector mounts, and are actually a better choice for that application.

You might want to just consider building your own speaker "shelf" and just mounting that to the wall. That's what I'll be doing.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page