My Theater construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided I would post my "budget" theater build here. I have learned valuable info from this website over the years, and appreciate any comments and or criticisms, and of course suggestions ( I need all the help I can get)

The room is 24ft long and 13ft wide, 100% light control. I use the room now but it is getting a complete makeover from its current condition. I use it mostly for movies and Games. Currently I have an Onkyo 605, Energy Speakers/Sub, PS3, Infocus In72, Sony DVD and a DIY 110inch screen. I made it with BOC, which I painted with Behur Exterior UPW.

I am going to be removing the stage that is there.

I built an in wall shelf to store my components. Older pic, no longer have the HD Player or the yamaha gear.

To finish the room I am going to carpet it, re-paint, do something with the drop ceiling ( either new tiles or paint the current roof), buy new furniture and upgrade some gear.

Currently I am thinking of going with pt-ax-200u, but that is still up for debate. I want to put in a large sectional and in behind that on risers a couple recliners.
Here are some more pics in its current mess....some screen shots too, sorry about the crappy shots.
George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like it's going to be nice.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Looks like it's going to be nice.

Thanks. I hope to have it finished in the next couple months.

I will post updates as I go.
Cheers,
George
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like it'll very nice, I would definitely do a dark ceiling! How about a AT screen with the speakers behind?

And how does everyone take such awesome screenshots?! I guess I need to go learn how to use my camera

Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Looks like it'll very nice, I would definitely do a dark ceiling! How about a AT screen with the speakers behind?
And how does everyone take such awesome screenshots?! I guess I need to go learn how to use my camera

I used a sony cybershot 7mp camera, turned off the flash, held camera still

Definitely going dark for the ceiling, just not sure if I am going to drywall it or replace the tiles? I may go with ceilume tiles as in the picture below

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post

I used a sony cybershot 7mp camera, turned off the flash, held camera still

Definitely going dark for the ceiling, just not sure if I am going to drywall it or replace the tiles? I may go with ceilume tiles as in the picture below

Those black ceiling tiles look very nice.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Is it 13' wide where the screen is or where it juts out where the right speaker is?

That little niche where the screen is is a perfect spot to build a false wall and an AT screen. You'd lose about 4' of depth (it looks like), but 20' X 13' would still be fine. You could then place the speakers and sub behind the screen and it would create one seamless front wall.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Those black ceiling tiles look very nice.

Yeah I like them, the wife does to, so you know those are a go. Now to find a place to order from.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Is it 13' wide where the screen is or where it juts out where the right speaker is?

That little niche where the screen is is a perfect spot to build a false wall and an AT screen. You'd lose about 4' of depth (it looks like), but 20' X 13' would still be fine. You could then place the speakers and sub behind the screen and it would create one seamless front wall.

It is about 10ft wide in the niche by about 4ft deep (good eye!) I love that idea! Thanks. I will research how to do that.

As you can tell I am not creating a masterpiece "theme" theater as many have done so well on this site. I am just going for a simple, comfortable look. Today I am demolishing that stage......
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Can someone post a link for a look at an "AT screen" Set up.... I haven't seen this (or if I have I did so without knowing what I was looking at) LOL
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Jamis: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=794089
Queen: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995072

and quite a few others. Basically it's a acoustic transparent screen with speakers behind it so the sound actually comes from the screen and it lets you get a bigger screen especially in smaller spaces since you don't need to worry about front speaker placements.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
http://www.smxscreen.com/

http://seymourav.com/installsretractable.asp

http://seymourav.com/installsfixed.asp

If you want to do a DIY screen you can obtain Phifer Sheerweave material from Seymour or his new XD sheerweave material which is even better.

Another source for the phifer 4500 material is here
http://www.interiormall.com/cat/ndis...bric&book=2182

In my build thread or screen construction thread you can see a diy curved 2:37 screen
Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Jamis: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=794089
Queen: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995072

and quite a few others. Basically it's a acoustic transparent screen with speakers behind it so the sound actually comes from the screen and it lets you get a bigger screen especially in smaller spaces since you don't need to worry about front speaker placements.

LOL,,,Thanks Shawn for the clarification. I completely understand now.... I think that is the way I am going to go! People talk a lot about GOM for the material, but I have also read that Dazian Celtic Cloth is a good cheaper alternative. I think I will order some samples of both and go from there
Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Real Measurements
23.5ft X 12ft

If I build a false wall it will have to be 6ft out to line up where the wall flares in. That shortens my room more than I wanted. My screen will have to be smaller than it is, in order to fit 2 rows of seats and not be too close to the screen. More decisions.

I removed the stage and am in the process of reconnecting my speakers so I can still use the room....
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post

Real Measurements
23.5ft X 12ft

If I build a false wall it will have to be 6ft out to line up where the wall flares in. That shortens my room more than I wanted. My screen will have to be smaller than it is, in order to fit 2 rows of seats and not be too close to the screen. More decisions.

I removed the stage and am in the process of reconnecting my speakers so I can still use the room....

You don't have to build the false wall even with the other wall. You can build it 2, 3, 4 feet from the wall if that is what works.

Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

In my build thread or screen construction thread you can see a diy curved 2:37 screen

Thanks for the link. That looks amazing! I hope mine is half has good when its finished
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok finally got the stage out and quickly re hooked up the speakers so I could use it until I start building the wall.

looks better than it did

Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

You don't have to build the false wall even with the other wall. You can build it 2, 3, 4 feet from the wall if that is what works.

Good point! If I bring it out 3 ft I still have 20 to work with.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, don't use up 6' for the false wall. You really only need 2-3 feet and even with that (depending on your speakers) only "need" like 18". I did 30" on mine and it feels like a perfect fit.

Looks better without the stage

Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Nice job. You're making some good progress quick.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree, don't use up 6' for the false wall. You really only need 2-3 feet and even with that (depending on your speakers) only "need" like 18". I did 30" on mine and it feels like a perfect fit.

Looks better without the stage

Yeah I think I will go 30" as well. Seems like a good fit for the speakers etc without compromising the space too badly.

Now when building the wall, how in the hell do you plan the exact height of the screen? Will it be different for the ax200u from my current in72? In my current set up I mounted the projector then mounted the screen and finally adjusted projector as necessary to make it fit. If you are all wondering, yes my construction skill is probably a big fat zero (my wife would probably say I'm in the negative) But I have help and determination to finish the room.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The nice thing about an AT wall as opposed to one framed out by a stage and columns for instance is you can move the screen anywhere you'd like and cover the rest with an AT fabric. See Big's thread on doing a screen wall:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=837848

Basically just add enough studs to secure the screen frame on and the fabric panels (while not blocking the planned speaker locations).

Also, if your speakers are rear ported you may want a little more room depending on how large they are and how much room they need. Mine are front ported, so I've got about a foot behind them and about 6" in front of them. If they're front ported you should be good. I chose 30" because 36" away put my projector at full zoom out and I wanted some headroom for it (big screen little room ), if I didn't have that problem I probably would have chosen 36".

Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Shawn for the input. Now that the stage is gone I can sit down and really plan this out.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want to do a DIY screen you can obtain Phifer Sheerweave material from Seymour or his new XD sheerweave material which is even better.

oman - Are you using the new XD Sheerweave material? How much better is it over the Phifer 4500 material? I'm using the 4500 material and am wondering if I should upgrade to the new material.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

oman - Are you using the new XD Sheerweave material? How much better is it over the Phifer 4500 material? I'm using the 4500 material and am wondering if I should upgrade to the new material.

I haven't upgraded, bmwracer just reported that he upgraded and gave the material a good review over on the Seymour Screen thread. Also a few have commented positively on it as well.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't upgraded, bmwracer just reported that he upgraded and gave the material a good review over on the Seymour Screen thread. Also a few have commented positively on it as well.

Thanks, I'll check out the Seymour thread.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Will it be necessary for the screen to be made with AT material? My Speakers will be placed in openings directly behind the GOM Material, not the screen. My speakers are front ported.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are putting the speakers behing the GOM vs. the screen then no you will not need the AT screen material. However, their is something to be said about having the sound and peoples voices come from and thru the screen. Every now and then when watching a movie in my room it stands out to me that the sound is coming directly from the area im looking at.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you are putting the speakers behing the GOM vs. the screen then no you will not need the AT screen material. However, their is something to be said about having the sound and peoples voices come from and thru the screen. Every now and then when watching a movie in my room it stands out to me that the sound is coming directly from the area im looking at.

Hmmm...something to consider. I guess if I went that route I could also have a larger screen.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

George,

What's the little room to the right of your former stage ? Is that a space you could bring into the theater so you might have a wider screen or center it on the wall ?
Just wondering, excuse me if you have answered that already & I missed it.

John