Conditioned power to plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning the mount my 50" Samsung plasma to the wall and want to provide conditioned power. I have an APC power conditioner (H10BLK) that I am using for all of my other components.

I think my two best alternatives are as follows:

1. Install a conditioned power outlet on the wall behind the plasma. I would run romex and tie into and exiting outlet.
-or-
2. Run romex with a male outlet by the other wall plates (i.e. HDMI, component video) to a female outlet behind the plasma. Then I can use an extension cord to connect the APC conditioner to the male wall outlet.

Does anyone have any experience doing either of these options?

Do the advantages of one outweigh the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Option two gives you more flexibility. Search for "Power Bridge" to find a number of threads on the topic.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanbeck View Post

I'm planning the mount my 50" Samsung plasma to the wall and want to provide conditioned power.

Not to start a flame war, but why do you think a company like Samsung isn't smart enough to make their products work perfectly well when plugged into a normal AC outlet? Unless you live in an area where the AC seriously sags, or it drops out often, I'd expect your plasma to work just fine as is.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Not to start a flame war, but why do you think a company like Samsung isn't smart enough to make their products work perfectly well when plugged into a normal AC outlet? Unless you live in an area where the AC seriously sags, or it drops out often, I'd expect your plasma to work just fine as is.

--Ethan

I want to use conditioned power to protect the TV (and the rest of my AV equipment) from a disaster like a significant power surge. I also know that the power condition will protect against uneven power caused by things like running a vacuum cleaner.

It seems like a no brainer to me to spend a little extra for the protection of $3500 worth of equipment.

Brad
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I want to use conditioned power to protect the TV (and the rest of my AV equipment) from a disaster like a significant power surge. I also know that the power condition will protect against uneven power caused by things like running a vacuum cleaner.

It seems like a no brainer to me to spend a little extra for the protection of $3500 worth of equipment.

Brad

Just my .02 cents...

I've been using a $40 surge protector for all of my flat panels for years... not a single issue with surges or video issues.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Brad

1) I've never heard of having a vacuum cleaner breaking a TV.

2) I also tend not to watch TV while vacuuming.

3) A surge protector will offer basic protection.

4) Fancier line conditioners are good for other issues like fixing hum issues and for their delayed on/off switching capability.

So while I wouldn't get one for just a TV, it may make sense for other issues. Either way, go with the power bridge option.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page