Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #841 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Future home to ~ 760# of speaker............

Most of framing in......
Installed 2 layer of linacoustic with 3 mil poly on front wall

Then one layer of 5/8 X DW
Second layer MDF with GG...

Added another layer of 5/8 DW with GG on top of MDF for a 1 3/4" baffle face..

1" linacoustic on the baffle

Still Need to add 3 mil poly and another layer of linacoustic to finish the face of the baffle....

With the exception of the screen wall.. that pretty much wraps up the construction of the what I'll call the "Hard Build" of the room.. No More Drywall... No more OSB... No more Green Glue.... No more cleaning the gun... No more saying "another layer".... Woo Whooo....

On another note, I originally planned for a 12' wide 2:40... Lately I've been considering 12' wide CIA probably 2.05 .. So im compiling the list of pros and cons... The cost diffrential for the screen/ masking panels is a small uptick comparitively speaking, although I would probably leave the top and bottom panels in place 95% of the time.. I think it would get me closer to the IMIN look when wanted.... other than pushing the lumens requirement ($$) higher, I'm not seeing any other show stoppers.. I have the riser height for second row line of sight.... interested in anyone else's opinion on CIA vs CIH... is it worth it for the ~ 10" of additional height? What are the other pros and cons?

Brad
Jonny5nz and avtexan like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The baffle wall is looking strong. Nice!

On CIA vs CIH, I think it mostly comes down to whether or not you are a traditionalist. I am - at least to some extent - so CIH feels right to me. If you want the immersion with 16:9 and IMAX type content, go for it.

Maybe there's a gotcha in one of these ideas, but I doubt it. Is the taller screen going to lead to moire because of fabric tilt? Will the top/bottom masking look awkward or out of place on scope setup? Does the mask interfere with speaker placement? Are you spending big bucks or powered 4-way masking that you wouldn't otherwise?
post #843 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post
Still Need to add 3 mil poly and another layer of linacoustic to finish the face of the baffle....

Brad
Looking awesome, I am jealous of the progress!!

I heard that a 5 or 6mm layer was better, potentially helping bit with bass in some fashion.

I have also seen lots of the 3mm post...

Any idea whether the thickness really makes a difference?

Thanks!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kmhvball; 07-18-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: revised confusing wording..
post #844 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Strong update and progress report!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #845 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

On another note, I originally planned for a 12' wide 2:40... Lately I've been considering 12' wide CIA probably 2.05 .. So im compiling the list of pros and cons... The cost diffrential for the screen/ masking panels is a small uptick comparitively speaking, although I would probably leave the top and bottom panels in place 95% of the time.. I think it would get me closer to the IMIN look when wanted.... other than pushing the lumens requirement ($$) higher, I'm not seeing any other show stoppers.. I have the riser height for second row line of sight.... interested in anyone else's opinion on CIA vs CIH... is it worth it for the ~ 10" of additional height? What are the other pros and cons?

Brad
My room isn't even close to the level of perfection you are planning, but in my humble opinion Constant Area is the way to go. I don't understand why so few choose a screen ratio that optimizes both formats; possibly because they are height limited and want the largest picture possible, or maybe it is the added complication of 4-way masking.
I suppose if your viewing habits were limited to only wide screen movies and news reports the compromise of a 2.40 screen would be bareable. Limiting a 16:9 movie, sports or miniseries such as Game of Thrones to the height of a 2.40 screen is giving up too much in my opinion, though it appears that many would not agree.
The difference is significant enough for me that I manually change my projector every time based on the content.

I'm not sure why the lumen requirement would be higher for CIA. Perhaps I don't understand how an anamorphic lens works.

post #846 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 05:55 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
With the exception of the screen wall.. that pretty much wraps up the construction of the what I'll call the "Hard Build" of the room.. No More Drywall... No more OSB... No more Green Glue.... No more cleaning the gun... No more saying "another layer".... Woo Whooo....
Congrats on reaching this big milestone! Excellent work, as always. I especially like the fact you left enough room for the 15" bass modules to go with your P8s!

So what's next? Painting? Finish carpentry?
post #847 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Wow! Looking great! How wide is your room, again? Can you just go wider on the screen until you reach the height limit? I now that's a compromise with image brightness, but just throwing it out there.
post #848 of 869 Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
CIA would be a great way to go.......for the longest time I planned on going that route, but chickened out. Definitely the best of both worlds if you plan to mask.

BTW, baffle wall looks great!

My Build Threads

post #849 of 869 Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
The baffle wall is looking strong. Nice!

On CIA vs CIH, I think it mostly comes down to whether or not you are a traditionalist. I am - at least to some extent - so CIH feels right to me. If you want the immersion with 16:9 and IMAX type content, go for it.

Maybe there's a gotcha in one of these ideas, but I doubt it. Is the taller screen going to lead to moire because of fabric tilt? Will the top/bottom masking look awkward or out of place on scope setup? Does the mask interfere with speaker placement? Are you spending big bucks or powered 4-way masking that you wouldn't otherwise?
Honestly the scope type viewing is hands down my favorite AR.. Thereason for the recent hair is primarily driven by the chase to recreate the IMAXlook in my little room, and a self preceived throw ratio issue...

Good thought on moiré question.. I guess that's one that Stewart or Seymourcould easily answer, but definitely falls in the additional research to dobox... The Acoustic Center of the mains have been set to between the 1/2 and5/8 point of the screen height, and I would keep the same center adding ~5" to both the top and bottom. The curved (manual) masks for the top andbottom from Seymour seemed reasonably priced @ < 500, they attach with magnetsI think, Havent priced any thing from Stewart, but I think the curved screen shuts the door on any remotely affordable automated masking solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I'm not sure why the lumen requirement would be higher for CIA. Perhaps I don't understand how an anamorphic lens works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Wow! Looking great! How wide is your room, again? Can you just go wider on the screen until you reach the height limit? I now that's a compromise with image brightness, but just throwing it out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
CIA would be a great way to go.......for the longest time I planned on going that route, but chickened out. Definitely the best of both worlds if you plan to mask.

BTW, baffle wall looks great!
My room finished off at 14' 7 1/2" wide.. the opening between the drop ceiling and the stage is 90"
I plan on the front 2 - 6' sections of the wall to "angle in" towards the screen ~ 12" per side (all black fabric) So a 12' wide screen is about the widest I could go and keep my general plan... a 2.05 CIA would leave ~ 10" above and below.. while a 2:40 would leave ~ 15" above and below.

What I dont get yet, but need to, grasp is the differential in the mechanics/lens/zooming related to the trow ratios. etc between CIA and CIH and impact on brightness.

For a normal CIH/2:40/anamorphic setup the TR is based on the 16:9.
My projector location is fixed between ~ 19'6" and 20', so for a 12' wide 2:40 thats a 16:9 image width of 106, TR of ~2.25 (pushing the high end without expensive optional lenses).. in this scenerio.. the Alens uses all of the pixels for full brightness when it stretches to 2:40.

When calculating for CIA.. My "original assumption" (this is where I think I was wrong) is the TR is still based on the 16:9 image since that is what is native to the projector. So roughly a 124" wide 16:9 give a TR of ~ 1.94 (much better range) But then something different had to happen beside just Vstrecthing the image and sliding the lens into place to get to 2:40....
So now I'm operating under the assumption that CIA need to keep the same TR as CIH but it Zooms out for the full 16:9 coverage. In which case CIA would not help with being at the long end of the TR..
But I dont know the impact this zoom has on brightness due to the Iris openings etc..Help..

post #850 of 869 Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Congrats on reaching this big milestone! Excellent work, as always. I especially like the fact you left enough room for the 15" bass modules to go with your P8s!

So what's next? Painting? Finish carpentry?
Bass modules bought and paid for,, should be on the way...
I know if I built the wall and finished with out them I would never go back and put in..

Next?? The output flow from the "Imaginarium" is down to a trickle.. still many "design" issues to work out from the aesthetics view point.. may try the 64 or 128 bit Crayola rendering program...

post #851 of 869 Old 07-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Next?? The output flow from the "Imaginarium" is down to a trickle.. still many "design" issues to work out from the aesthetics view point.. may try the 64 or 128 bit Crayola rendering program...
Maybe I could put the TMcGoogle Sketchup design wizard to work.....

Glad to hear you went with the P815s right away. I had the chance to experience the full configuration in KBlaw2010's theater and the terms "effortless" and "incredible" kept coming to mind.
post #852 of 869 Old 07-19-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Looking awesome, I am jealous of the progress!!

I heard that a 5 or 6mm layer was better, potentially helping bit with bass in some fashion.

I have also seen lots of the 3mm post...

Any idea whether the thickness really makes a difference?
Fantastic question... obviously the 5-6 mill would raise the cut off for the higher frequency absorbtion, but Im not sure the impact the thicker membrane would have on the absorbtion characteristics beyond that.. similar/thicker type membranes are used in many commercially available products..ie the original persorber used a 5 layer stack up ~ 15 mil layer and a thinner FRK type layer.. laminated between 3 layers of absorbtion... ARS has a reversible panel, that is a thicker panel/membrane laminated to absorbition which claims performance down to 100HZ with the panel side facing out these have all been measured and tested.

I've spent more time searching and reading BBC articles/ white papers/ patent applications/ gear slutz etc.. then I care to think about.. I just cant seem to find refrences or info on calculationg membrane thickness to behavior with existing wall impedance/resonance. So I'm defaulting to one of DE perscribed recepies rather than taking a gamble..

post #853 of 869 Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Amazing build. I have a CIA screen and use masking, for my setup it gives me the best of both worlds as a CIH screen would be limiting in my space. I gained a lot of height when in 16X9, but don't ming loosing a little height with masking in place. I think it really comes down to the individuals space. If I had loads of space I would get a CIH. I wanted the highest screen possible for football/soccer and HDTV.

James Reid:D
post #854 of 869 Old 07-19-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
The output flow from the "Imaginarium" is down to a trickle.. still many "design" issues to work out from the aesthetics view point.. may try the 64 or 128 bit Crayola rendering program...
Are you committed to flaring out the wall sections or are you also considering other designs that don't have this wall flare-out? I've hashed my way through a couple of quick sketches and that's a pretty important detail to know before I scan and post. Thanks Brad.
post #855 of 869 Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you committed to flaring out the wall sections or are you also considering other designs that don't have this wall flare-out? I've hashed my way through a couple of quick sketches and that's a pretty important detail to know before I scan and post. Thanks Brad.

Commitment is such a strong word to me...

I've been laboring under the vision of creating a little "Imin" as you know:

http://

I think.. the ceiling tiers, the height of the riser, and planned angle of the wainscot goes a long way towards creating that illusion:

Even now.. sitting on the riser with the ceiling tiers it has very much a stadium feel to the room.

My thought on the splays is that it would also help contribute to that amphitheater feel adding a 3rd dimension that also "forces" your attention to front and center.

The only details that have been build in already related to the splays have been the door.. which I set at 5 degrees and the HVAC feeds also set at 5 degrees.. Heres a sketch of the front of the room based on current thoughts.. I was going to reverse the direction of the front splays in comparison to the ones on the side wall...

So I think its fair to say that I'm 80%+ committed to the "Concept" of the splays..
But as far as the details or execution I'm more in the 5% range..

Any ideas or comments are mucho appreciated..... I would like to see any other concepts or ideas you have...

Brad..

P.S. since the forum change it seems like I crash ~ 50% of the time when previewing posts, particularly one with pictures in them... aggravating as Hell.. this happen to everyone now?

post #856 of 869 Old 07-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

P.S. since the forum change it seems like I crash ~ 50% of the time when previewing posts, particularly one with pictures in them... aggravating as Hell.. this happen to everyone now?
Sorry, no great ideas... I am going with a simple rectangle!

Mine was crashing all the time or getting hung up.. but, over the past 5 or so days, it hasn't been happening as much... maybe I am just getting lucky.

Thanks!

Kevin

post #857 of 869 Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your pictures look great to me! Load fast I'm on my desktop with fast internet wired (120 down!) and with an i7 and GPU card

My laptop on wifi and my ipad sometimes struggle, I think it's just because of the new formatting. It's definitely better on my real PC than my other devices.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #858 of 869 Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Response Simulations VS REW results just for S's&G's

The following was seat of the pants done solely for S's&G's .. it was a first time playing with the "simulator" in REW V5.. I only wish i had taken measurements when the room was totally bare to compare during riser construction...

I know much of this is obvious and old hat to many of you but it may get someones wheels turning...

The following is an excerpt from a recent post I made in a thread regarding some REW measurements, that sent me down this path..

Quote:
SNIP.... particularly your readings for the first 2 length modes, which should be fairly predictable regardless of changes in width/ height, soffit to soffit, floor to soffit, soffit to riser etc...
I cant see the short face of the riser or even the entry impacting these modes to the extent that it would shift the 1st or second length mode significantly from the predictions. These should be the most predicable and easiest to correlate with even seemingly substantial changes.... Ie if your room measured shorter by 10% or longer by 10% to account for the face of the riser/ entrance etc.. SNIP...
After posting I really started thinking about what the actual response my room would look like and how it would compare to the predicted responses from the calculator/simulators.. since it varies somewhat significantly from the rectangle room models.. So I set off looking for my mic again...

MY Room Basics
The interior dimensions of the completed shell are 25' 8" long, 14' 7" wide, 9' 8" tall.
Harmon's mode calc is really quick and easy for generating axial mode prediction:

These calculators represent theoretical modes/waves based on perfectly reflecting walls and as such we can expect reasonable variations due to actual construction, real wall impedance etc...

Expecting these variations I wanted to create a window I felt my modal response should reasonably mimic.. So as a total WAG I used the calc to see what effect a +/- 2ft window for room length would have:

so 1st axial length mode should be between 21-24hz, 2nd between 41 and 48hz.. etc..etc..

Other Room factors worth mentioning...
Ceiling has 6 different heights elevations ranging from 9'8" to 8' to Finished floor..
3 changes from 6'6" to 7'10" to the top of a 22" riser..
4 foot deep/12" high stage at the front..
and the baffle wall (rigid) is ~18" from front wall and roughly 60% open for 1/2 of its height

quick and dirty setup..
EMC8000 mic.. with generic Cal file
quick sound card cal
Used a Triad Bronze IW 6 for the sub
No SPL cal .. just wanted to see "Shape" of response < 100HZ

Measurement positions.. Since the initial focus was on the axial length modes, the Mic was positioned @ mid room width and mid height which should minimize the 1st width and height modes (mid height of "shell" with no consideration for risers or ceiling elevation)

I Ran a piece of tape down the center of the room and marked of the positions based on the dimensions from the Harmon Calc from the back to the front wall...and then placed the triad as close to real front corner as possible to excite the modes...

Again since I didnt really calculate the SPL for this single woefully under powered sub, I was primarily interested in the shape of the response and the locations of constructive interference...

First measurement at Center Height and width ~ 1" off of rear wall... all length modes should be excited..

Although not exact.. It was fun seeing the FR Peaks come in close to what the Harmon calculator had predicted for the length modes, and the imaginary window I had established...

Then I looked at a comparison of the same FR compared to the Room simulator in REW V5
The FR in the room simulator makes it easier to see the generic shape compared to the REW results.
The room simulator also shows a graphical representation of the SUB and MIC position in the room.. that can be moved to see the impact position has on the simulated FR (pasted in red box)

Below the top FR represents actual
The bottom FR represents the predicted.. (oblique and tangential modes were turned off in simulator)
Red lines are length modes, Green are width modes, and blue lines are height modes in the simulator
I aligned 20hz and 200hz for comparison..

I like the basic shape and the alignment with the predictions.. There is a slight frequency shift between the 1st and 2nd-3rd modes for the length but that's for another discussion.. one interesting observation is the peak around 80hz.. Although the mic position was intended to mitigate the 1st width and height modes this corresponds to the peak of the 2nd width mode (2nd green line) which should be ~ 77hz ..

Just a couple more comparisons to the simulators at different positions...
This one is with the mic at a quarter point which should be a null for the 2nd length..

Again.. I like the shape, it's as predicted relatively speaking, with the various considerations..
The same ran true for the entire length of the room.

One last comparison to share...showing the impact of moving the sub to mid wall and measuring at mid room...

again a fairly solid correlation with the general shape between the simulator and actual s..
Not sure what is happening in the 60-80Hz range on the actual FR compared to the simulator but I think it may be related to the sub position (~ 2') to the front of the 22" riser..

The simulator allows for varying placement of up to 4 subs.. I have 1 more IW 6 Bronze that Im considering hooking up to see how close the FR can correlate to the simulator with 2 subs going.

You can also offset your measurements in the simulator ie left, right, front, back to check response over a given seating area. It allows you to adjust absorption coefficients for the various surfaces to see the impact on your peaks/nulls, and many other variables... if this interests you.. the simulator is fun to play with, and a hell of a good starting point to play with sub positions without crawling around on the floor..

I found it to be useful from the perspective of forcing me to look for "Why" the differences between the calculated/simulated and actual measurements...

and its FREE .....

post #859 of 869 Old 07-23-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looking forward to seeing completed project. If you have a Phoenix GTG, please reserve a seat for me!

post #860 of 869 Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post
Looking forward to seeing completed project. If you have a Phoenix GTG, please reserve a seat for me!
I second that. Also if you need help lifting things or holding the dumb end of the tape pm me I am willing to help.
Cksqurd likes this.
post #861 of 869 Old 07-24-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Read your first build and have been following this one, both are incredible! Nice work.
post #862 of 869 Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for following guys... And Im sure there will be a GTG eventually.......someday

post #863 of 869 Old 07-24-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Commitment is such a strong word to me...

I've been laboring under the vision of creating a little "Imin" as you know:

So I think its fair to say that I'm 80%+ committed to the "Concept" of the splays..
But as far as the details or execution I'm more in the 5% range..

Any ideas or comments are mucho appreciated..... I would like to see any other concepts or ideas you have...
I'll get this to you tomorrow morning for you as I've not had a good block of time in the last few days. I'll work with the splays as a first course to get your feedback.
post #864 of 869 Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Duct Tape

I knew I could find a way to use duct tape in this build

While killing time with the simulator in REW trying to figure out whats next. I decided to do a mock up for my walls, and since my patience wains so quickly with programs like sketch up.. I decided to burn through some foam and duct tape..

This rough mock up represents the current plan for the mill work on the wainscot and columns.
From different angles: *think IMIN*

The upper cloth sections between the columns would follow the angle of the individual splays with ~ a 1" reveal at the top of the wainscot.

RGB led strips will continue down from the ceiling coves in the rear side of the column, hidden by a little reveal (not included in mockup)..

At first I was hesitant to waste $40 worth of foam but then realized the cost was minimal compared to screwing up even one sheet of Cherry ply or such.. when I first stepped back and looked at it I thought.... What the $$$$$ are you getting yourself into... Then I thought.. well hell paint it and call it done..

Overall this worked very well for helping me see through the build steps I would need and see what features would need changed or eliminated.. to help simplify construction..

Still several things to noodle through.. like the area around the steps.. My steps are currently 36" wide, I would probably need to reduce to 34" width to eliminate a trip hazard where the splay sticks out..

Whadya guys think?

Brad

post #865 of 869 Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm loving the pictures and progress !

I think using foam to not mess up wood makes a lot sense. It also helps to see it in person, so well done there. The stairs don't look too dangerous.

-

post #866 of 869 Old 07-25-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I'll get this to you tomorrow morning for you as I've not had a good block of time in the last few days. I'll work with the splays as a first course to get your feedback.
Well, despite getting a 5AM start, it didn't take long for my day to go to Hell. Will get to this soon enough, though.

I like the foam mock up! You know....you could start a little IMIN flat-pack business....
post #867 of 869 Old 07-26-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, you've now built two theaters in the time it has taken me to...nevermind. I'll just keep living vicariously and appreciate the fantastic work. Thanks for sharing.

- Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #868 of 869 Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've been reading brad's first build today... paying attention to how he finished the lions and wood, what sprayer he bought, and really just appreciating the journey he's already taken. All that has built a super duper foundation for this new theater that should be top tier easily. I can't wait for the final results, but I am also enjoying the updates (especially the progress pictures and how to explanations)

-

post #869 of 869 Old 09-19-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So it's been a month, CEDIA is over... should we expect progress soon ?

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page