Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #61 of 881 Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I finally got the drywall dust taste out of my mouth.

White Room (not too exciting, but a milestone for me none the less)- mudded/sanded, primered/sealed.

Manifolds Painted & installed.

Per advice: When i took the drivers out to paint, I eliminated the Conduit clamps previously used for mounting the drivers and attached directly through the drivers rim

Next: Ceiling.. probably some type of coffer design

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 881 Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am frightened when I see the drivers...
Mfusick likes this.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #63 of 881 Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice, congratulations!
I was curious how the orientation of those drivers you have for the IB sub would turn out. After seeing how they look in the manifolds, I think those are going to be really impressive when you flip on the behind-the-screen lighting. Anyone who knows what they are looking at will get a very serious case of bass envy...
post #64 of 881 Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted white View Post

i am frightened when i see the drivers...

MEEE TOOOO!! I think I'm gonna send one of the kids in to throw the switch for the first time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvids4all View Post

very nice, congratulations!
I was curious how the orientation of those drivers you have for the ib sub would turn out. After seeing how they look in the manifolds, i think those are going to be really impressive when you flip on the behind-the-screen lighting. Anyone who knows what they are looking at will get a very serious case of bass envy... :d

Thanks HD.. I'm happy with the "Look", I think the room tweak/eq for the sound will be the challenge.. I can see another 100 hrs of forum reading in my near future.

Brad

post #65 of 881 Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Wow, simply stunning.

I love it...Though when you mentioned how you were gonna mount the baffles I pictured the drivers facing to the sides. I'm sure they will be fine the way you orientated them but my concern would be with those bottom drivers and gravity, considering the amount push and pull I've seen on other woofers in youtube videos.

Still, those woofers will look menacing, when you light them up from behind, awesome job. Wish we were local to each other so I could check it out when done.

BTW, great job on the rock, sanding, and priming. Coming right along.
post #66 of 881 Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Manifolds Painted & installed.

Per advice: When i took the drivers out to paint, I eliminated the Conduit clamps previously used for mounting the drivers and attached directly through the drivers rim
Brad

Brad,

What did you use to prop-up the manifolds off the floor? Did you build a stiff 2x4 base?

And good idea ditching the pipe clamps. I built my current IB setup that way but plan to rebuild and use screws this time (just like you).

BTW -- they look great!
post #67 of 881 Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Wow, simply stunning.

I love it...Though when you mentioned how you were gonna mount the baffles I pictured the drivers facing to the sides. I'm sure they will be fine the way you orientated them but my concern would be with those bottom drivers and gravity, considering the amount push and pull I've seen on other woofers in youtube videos.

Still, those woofers will look menacing, when you light them up from behind, awesome job. Wish we were local to each other so I could check it out when done.

BTW, great job on the rock, sanding, and priming. Coming right along.

Oman.. Thanks for the props

I'm still cheezin everytime I look at em..

The orientation was kinda driven by the width of my chamber, and a recomendation to maintain 2' clearance from the drivers.

It seems like their are quite a few down firing subs now, but the possibility of Driver "Sag" is a valid point for ones this size. The general consenus on the Cult form was that there is no reason for concern and this orientation was fine. Since I dont have alot of (any) experience with anything this large, the entire IB endevour is on blind faith, and their recomendations.

I hope your taking some time to sit under the stars and enjoy a movie..

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Brad,

What did you use to prop-up the manifolds off the floor? Did you build a stiff 2x4 base?

And good idea ditching the pipe clamps. I built my current IB setup that way but plan to rebuild and use screws this time (just like you).

BTW -- they look great!

Hey Steve..

I haven't built the rear supports yet.. I'm kinda playing with a concept another member "Moggie" got me started thinking about. He was looking at mounting the manifolds on a sand filled stage and decoupling the assembly from the manifold wall... Although my manifolds are coupled to the baffle wall, I'm thinking some type of rigid connection of the manifolds to a large sand filled base could still benefit dampening/ energy dissipation from the manifolds. I'm not decided though and my laziness (getting 500-600# sand in basement)will probably dictate the "Stiff 2x4" support.

Did you say "Rebuild"!! I just saw FiAudio is planning on releasing a 22" IB driver

Steve.. Great HT build thread, one of the ones i have managed to read start to finish.

Brad

post #68 of 881 Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Just sick, sweet HT setup...
RS20 tonight?
--Manny
post #69 of 881 Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I hope your taking some time to sit under the stars and enjoy a movie..

My wife bought me Defiance on Blu Ray for my B-day beginning of June. Saw it the day after (Good Movie). Last weekend was my duaghter's B-day and she got to enjoy the HT with her friends for a sleepover. I turned on the stars for effect and when the movie started I asked if they wanted the stars off, they replied "no way, those are cool"

Been busy doing some side work to get some extra dough, so other then that not much movie time. I need to get one in this weekend as I am starting to feel the withdrawal effects.
post #70 of 881 Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

KL-650's - LCR
KS-525 Dipoles - Side Surrounds
KL-525's - Rear Surrounds

post #71 of 881 Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Man the change in scope/direction from the first post to this one is amazing. you went from not too sure about what was happening to full freaking bore with this. That IB sub scares the crap out of me. Until I finally hear one I am always going to wonder why one would be needed since my 12" HSU rocks the room. I can't even imagine this one. Reminds me of Ronnie Jackson's comment on how his moved the ceiling joists when it was going.

And that was a BUNCH of GG you used. I did 2 layers of drywall without GG and mine is pretty quiet outside so I can imaging no leakage from this room. great thread and I am now subscribed.

John
post #72 of 881 Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

looking good! can't wait to see the speakers setup
post #73 of 881 Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Nice speakers. You're going to be in heaven.

Like everyone else, I too, am selfishly waiting for that IB chamber to become a... fully operational battlestation. Sorry for the cheesy Star Wars reference - I couldn't resist. The IB is just so creepy cool. What color will the lighting be again?

Keep up the good work.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #74 of 881 Old 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A mans pile of toys, just lovely
post #75 of 881 Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

Man the change in scope/direction from the first post to this one is amazing. you went from not too sure about what was happening to full freaking bore with this. That IB sub scares the crap out of me. Until I finally hear one I am always going to wonder why one would be needed since my 12" HSU rocks the room. I can't even imagine this one. Reminds me of Ronnie Jackson's comment on how his moved the ceiling joists when it was going.

And that was a BUNCH of GG you used. I did 2 layers of drywall without GG and mine is pretty quiet outside so I can imaging no leakage from this room. great thread and I am now subscribed.

John

John.. I'm still waiting to see how well the efforts for sound isolation stand up to the LF of the IB.. but as of now.. i can crank the stereo in the room to nearly unformfortable levels and you can not hear a thing in the kitchen above, and the only thing you can hear in the room with my 2 boys running around upstairs is the Hum from the florescent light.. so far I think the efforts were worth it.

Welcome back.. the basement is looking Great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuesmaximus View Post

looking good! can't wait to see the speakers setup

Manny Thanks.. It'll be a minute or two before their hooked up. I really didnt need the speakers yet, I had the size dimensions but i wanted them physically in my hands so I could start on the columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

Nice speakers. You're going to be in heaven.

Like everyone else, I too, am selfishly waiting for that IB chamber to become a... fully operational battlestation. Sorry for the cheesy Star Wars reference - I couldn't resist. The IB is just so creepy cool. What color will the lighting be again?

Keep up the good work.

KJ.. I am going to try Blue LED light strips in the back of the manifold behind the drivers, if thats not bright enough I'll switch to white.. May the Force be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

A mans pile of toys, just lovely

As you may imagine.. its getting harder to hide everything from the wife!!

Ok .. I have everything needed (I think) to Power up the IB and eventually EQ it to the room. Everything was ordered from ZZsounds

- Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Microphone
- Behringer EP2500 Power Amplifier
- Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer Pro
- M-Audio MobilePre USB Interface with Microphone Preamp
- M-Audio MIDISport UNO 1x1 MIDI Interface with Cables and Connectors
- On-Stage Tripod/Boom Microphone Stand
- Whirlwind MC20 XLR Microphone Cable

Unfortunately, I'll be on travel most of next week so it'll be the end of the month before I can get around to the initial test.

Bryan also completed the accoustical design, (Great guy, bless him for his patience with me). and is putting together the treatment materials list for me.

So.. I will soon have everything I need to move into the next stages of the project.

Brad

post #76 of 881 Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

I'll be eagerly waiting for the next update
sweet setup!!!!
post #77 of 881 Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I swear, every time I take a peek into your build it reminds me of mine. Love the IB and main speaker choices...

post #78 of 881 Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

I swear, every time I take a peak into your build it reminds me of mine. Love the IB and main speaker choices...

Thats because I'm Copying you.. its much easier than coming up with my own plan... now hurry and make a seating selection, I want to order while roman has his summer power buy going.

post #79 of 881 Old 07-16-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Did you just sit and stare at the pile of speaker goodness for a few hours? I would have.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #80 of 881 Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Thats because I'm Copying you.. its much easier than coming up with my own plan... now hurry and make a seating selection, I want to order while roman has his summer power buy going.

BAHAHAHA!! In that case you are sooooo screwed.

As for seats, we decided to go suede microfiber instead of either powerbuy leather option. We have a large leather sofa and while it is great for keeping dog hair off, it's always cold. The theater is naturally cold to start and so leather just isn't the right choice for us. So for an extra $75 per chair, getting microfiber instead of the leather/vinyl china made seat is no big deal. If I was to get leather, I'd jump at the power buy.

post #81 of 881 Old 07-20-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

BAHAHAHA!! In that case you are sooooo screwed.

Quote:

As for seats, we decided to go suede microfiber instead of either powerbuy leather option. We have a large leather sofa and while it is great for keeping dog hair off, it's always cold. The theater is naturally cold to start and so leather just isn't the right choice for us. So for an extra $75 per chair, getting microfiber instead of the leather/vinyl china made seat is no big deal. If I was to get leather, I'd jump at the power buy.

Good point on the leather.. even when I lived in phoenix, leather furniture was cold when you first sat in it.. My concern is Durability.. as you can imagine 10&12 yr old boys are tough on furniture. I'd probably be better off with bean bags

post #82 of 881 Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Did you just sit and stare at the pile of speaker goodness for a few hours? I would have.

I looked at them for hours, then i discovered that if I put my thumb in front of my face and focused on it... I could see as many as 21 speakers...

Brad..

PS.. i could never see any of the 3D images, my kids have some hanging in their rooms and Im still not sure what they are pictures of.

post #83 of 881 Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Brad, I was wondering why I didn't have more readers on my thread and then I stumbled into yours! No wonder! There are obviously much cooler things going on around here than my "average" build. Like IB subwoofers! Man, that photo will get the testosterone flowing!

I, too, have the Klipsch THX speakers (only the front three so far). I am a year away from upgrading my sub, and I'll be very curious to find out your thoughts on how the Klipsch work along side such monster base. I sort of had my sights set on something like an ED A7-900, but only because I know nothing of IB subs. You're going to love the Klipsch by the way. I can send everyone running to the next room with them and so far they are powered by a measley receiver.

Keep up the good work.

Tony

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #84 of 881 Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Golf, Family Vacation, and Boo Koo travel for work has hampered room progress, Ill update some measly odds and ends stuff later.. but now for the eye candy.
D2V

Statement P2 and P5

The P5 is an A$$ buster, weighing in at over 130# in the box.

post #85 of 881 Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Very nice. I'm glad I guilted you into an update

But since you are going all out what about a 9.1 system...

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #86 of 881 Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 AM

That Anthem set-up is insane. I hope you realize you need a 20 amp circuit for the P5 alone, since it's putting out 1625 watts. Another 20 Amp for the P2 and D2, and another 20 Amp for the rest of your gear. That's at least 3 separate circuits for your rack alone. You may be able to get away with just 2 circuits if you are willing to put the P2 with the rest of your gear, but that may be pushing it when the volume gets cranking, which it will.

Just my 2 cents. Stop me if you've planned accordingly.
Blucliff likes this.
post #87 of 881 Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Absolutely stunning!
post #88 of 881 Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Very nice. I'm glad I guilted you into an update

But since you are going all out what about a 9.1 system...

What makes this post so funny to me is that you are "SPOT ON" thats exactly what happened when I saw your sheeted room.. I starting feeling Lazy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Infinite Loop View Post

That Anthem set-up is insane. I hope you realize you need a 20 amp circuit for the P5 alone, since it's putting out 1625 watts. Another 20 Amp for the P2 and D2, and another 20 Amp for the rest of your gear. That's at least 3 separate circuits for your rack alone. You may be able to get away with just 2 circuits if you are willing to put the P2 with the rest of your gear, but that may be pushing it when the volume gets cranking, which it will.

Just my 2 cents. Stop me if you've planned accordingly.

Yea.. the P5's an animal on the juice.. I think i read it pulls 300+ watts in standby.
Actually they recommend 2 dedicated 20 amps for the P5 alone.

Bottom inside of left panel I pulled another 100 amp circuit....

Put a 100 amp panel for the rack in the "Soon to be drywalled equiptment room"..

Plan for the Panel
2 dedicated 20's for the P5
1 dedicated 20 for the P2
1 dedicated 20 for the EP2500 (sub amp)
1 for a power conditioner/APC for the D2v and Possible projector.

I have room left in my main panels so I will probably just pull a couple general lighthing circuits from there.

Brad

post #89 of 881 Old 08-16-2009, 03:14 PM

Looks like you have your bases covered regarding circuits Brad. Nice work.

By the way, I live in Spencer, so you had better leave that set-up under lock and key.

Fantastic thread. Can't wait to see more. Keep up the great work.
post #90 of 881 Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My LEDS for the IB Came in.

Should look pretty cool with the SMX in backlit mode...

Brad

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page