Yes Dear, I'm down here working on your craft room!! - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #871 of 887 Old 10-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
kmhvball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mason, Ohio
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post
Probably be winter before I get back in the room....
Did you forget you moved to Arizona and it is basically year round summer?
kmhvball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 887 Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AirBenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Awesome toy - that looks like fun!!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
AirBenji is offline  
post #873 of 887 Old 10-01-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,357
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Those are super fun !

I grew up in a family of motorsports and toys, pretty much had every toy under the sun at one point but one of those. I always wanted one too! I'm jealous. I did a lot of motocross up till about I was 33 and got married. My parents have about 6acres, I think I actually liked using the bobcat or mini caterpillar and building jumps as much as riding them in my final years. Lol.

I'm in New England so it's transitioning to snow mobiles for me. God that thing looks fun! I'm jealous for sure. I wouldn't get any theater work done either lol..
Mfusick is offline  
post #874 of 887 Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unbelievable thread! Thank you for the info!!
Sharken Beard is offline  
post #875 of 887 Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
SierraMikeBravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 1,795
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Alright...what's happening with my design?

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Theater Design Information
SierraMikeBravo is offline  
post #876 of 887 Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,357
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post
Future home to ~ 760# of speaker............

Most of framing in......
Installed 2 layer of linacoustic with 3 mil poly on front wall



Then one layer of 5/8 X DW
Second layer MDF with GG...



Added another layer of 5/8 DW with GG on top of MDF for a 1 3/4" baffle face..



1" linacoustic on the baffle




Still Need to add 3 mil poly and another layer of linacoustic to finish the face of the baffle....

With the exception of the screen wall.. that pretty much wraps up the construction of the what I'll call the "Hard Build" of the room.. No More Drywall... No more OSB... No more Green Glue.... No more cleaning the gun... No more saying "another layer".... Woo Whooo....

On another note, I originally planned for a 12' wide 2:40... Lately I've been considering 12' wide CIA probably 2.05 .. So im compiling the list of pros and cons... The cost diffrential for the screen/ masking panels is a small uptick comparitively speaking, although I would probably leave the top and bottom panels in place 95% of the time.. I think it would get me closer to the IMIN look when wanted.... other than pushing the lumens requirement ($$) higher, I'm not seeing any other show stoppers.. I have the riser height for second row line of sight.... interested in anyone else's opinion on CIA vs CIH... is it worth it for the ~ 10" of additional height? What are the other pros and cons?

Brad

Strong looking baffle wall is strong.

I have a question on this (if you ever return from driving that beast).

The speakers mount totally flush into the wall, with no gaps on the side or the back right ? And you'd need to know the exact dimensions of your speakers and subs being placed in the baffle wall before you could design or build it right ? What happens if there's a little space behind the speaker ? The subs are deeper than the speakers for instance ....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #877 of 887 Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Member
 
Gerben Van Duyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Strong looking baffle wall is strong.

I have a question on this (if you ever return from driving that beast).

The speakers mount totally flush into the wall, with no gaps on the side or the back right ? And you'd need to know the exact dimensions of your speakers and subs being placed in the baffle wall before you could design or build it right ? What happens if there's a little space behind the speaker ? The subs are deeper than the speakers for instance ....
If I may chime in... The only thing that matters is that the front of the speaker is flush with the front* of the baffle wall. It does not matter what space there is behind the baffle wall, or what gap there is behind the speakers. The gap between the speakers and baffle wall should be as small as possible and closed with a suitable foam.
*) NB: the front of the baffle wall means the hard stuff, such as the MDF, not the absorber material you mount on top of that.

And I agree, this is a very nice example of a baffle wall. Good going KNKKNK!
Gerben Van Duyl is offline  
post #878 of 887 Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
granroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 350
granroth is offline  
post #879 of 887 Old 10-16-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,357
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Lol.. someone else linked that to me like a day ago and I finally just read it, it was great. Thanks for link.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #880 of 887 Old 11-12-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
KNKKNK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 81

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
KNKKNK is offline  
post #881 of 887 Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,357
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Waiting...

WAITING....







Lol. I should have added you as a mention in this thread: Where did J_P_A and TMcG and Hopeful Fred go ? Aliens ?
Mfusick is offline  
post #882 of 887 Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AirBenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hi Brad! What's the latest? Any new updates over there?

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
AirBenji is offline  
post #883 of 887 Old 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,357
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Ben bringing back the dead. I like it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #884 of 887 Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
KNKKNK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post
Hi Brad! What's the latest? Any new updates over there?
Ben, I'm sorry to report that little progress has been made in the theater since my last update..

I started another major project so the theater has temporarily taken a back seat.. I've always had a tendency of being easily distracted, resulting in a plethora of loose ends and unfinished projects throughout my life. My wife calls it the shiny penny syndrome, the kids call it "The Tree House Effect" (due to an unfinished tree fort from their childhood).. Me, I just think it may be Chronic ADHD with a little Alzheimer's starting to kick in...

A special piece of land came up for sale in the area where I bought my cabin last summer... And I just couldn't let it pass.. this was the last of ~ 20 properties that sat on the edge of a canyon and backed to national forest, the Forest Service sold these back in the 70's, and their not making any more of them.. very very few private areas in AZ where you can get this type of view.. here are a couple of shots from the property..

You can see for a 100 miles on a clear day.. (this was'nt one)



A shot from the back of the property at the end of the summer..



So I've been up there, mostly just staring again, doing some clearing and getting things ready to build a cabin.. with any luck I should have the permit in hand around the end of next week and plan to start digging April 1... A Funny thing that, I think everyone here will appreciate....

You should have heard the wife when she saw a "Theater Room" label on the floor plan for the cabin... CLASSIC

Brad
doublewing11 and TMcG like this.

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
KNKKNK is offline  
post #885 of 887 Old 03-07-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smakovits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So someone owned this giant piece of undeveloped land and decided to sell it? Am I following?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
smakovits is offline  
post #886 of 887 Old 03-07-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 5,224
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post
Ben, I'm sorry to report that little progress has been made in the theater since my last update..

I started another major project so the theater has temporarily taken a back seat.. I've always had a tendency of being easily distracted, resulting in a plethora of loose ends and unfinished projects throughout my life. My wife calls it the shiny penny syndrome, the kids call it "The Tree House Effect" (due to an unfinished tree fort from their childhood).. Me, I just think it may be Chronic ADHD with a little Alzheimer's starting to kick in...

A special piece of land came up for sale in the area where I bought my cabin last summer... And I just couldn't let it pass.. this was the last of ~ 20 properties that sat on the edge of a canyon and backed to national forest, the Forest Service sold these back in the 70's, and their not making any more of them.. very very few private areas in AZ where you can get this type of view.. here are a couple of shots from the property..

You can see for a 100 miles on a clear day.. (this was'nt one)



A shot from the back of the property at the end of the summer..



So I've been up there, mostly just staring again, doing some clearing and getting things ready to build a cabin.. with any luck I should have the permit in hand around the end of next week and plan to start digging April 1... A Funny thing that, I think everyone here will appreciate....

You should have heard the wife when she saw a "Theater Room" label on the floor plan for the cabin... CLASSIC


Brad
I think I see a herd of elk in the background.........................

Looks like Snake River country ie Hell's Canyon between Oregon and Idaho.............one of my favorite places in Oregon.............but Snake River might be a tadbit more treacherous.

doublewing11 is offline  
post #887 of 887 Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
lpnaz480's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: az
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 27
hey brad i'm take two guesses, correct me if i'm wrong. is that up by the rim, like christopher creek or oak creek canyon? either way its a gorgeous view, congrats!

My theater build : Roll-In Reels Cinema (7.2.4 atmos theater)
lpnaz480 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off