Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #91 of 868 Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How wicked is that? Way, way, way cool!!!

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 868 Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow!!! looking really cool! very nice equipment
Anthem all the way!!!1
--Manny

ALL SPARK THEATER
post #93 of 868 Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Brad,

The LEDs look good. I wasn't thinking about doing that for my IB, but now that I see yours, I may do something similar. I already have plans to light up the area behind the screen, so the IB shouldn't be too much trouble.

-Tom A.

post #94 of 868 Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

What makes this post so funny to me is that you are "SPOT ON" thats exactly what happened when I saw your sheeted room.. I starting feeling Lazy..

Yea.. the P5's an animal on the juice.. I think i read it pulls 300+ watts in standby.
Actually they recommend 2 dedicated 20 amps for the P5 alone.

Bottom inside of left panel I pulled another 100 amp circuit....

Put a 100 amp panel for the rack in the "Soon to be drywalled equiptment room"..

Plan for the Panel
2 dedicated 20's for the P5
1 dedicated 20 for the P2
1 dedicated 20 for the EP2500 (sub amp)
1 for a power conditioner/APC for the D2v and Possible projector.

I have room left in my main panels so I will probably just pull a couple general lighthing circuits from there.

Brad

How do you get generator power to your transfer switch?
post #95 of 868 Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

How do you get generator power to your transfer switch?

Theres a power inlet directly above the panels on the exterior, fed down through the conduits.

Brad

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #96 of 868 Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

KJ, Manny & Tom,

Thanks guys.. I'm really pleased with the way it looks...

Thats the first time I've played around with the Flexible LED strip lights, Neat product, only wish it wasnt so pricey still.. I think I'd like to use it around the soffit.. it's actually a little brighter than I had expected.

Brad

post #97 of 868 Old 09-05-2009, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I received some PM's asking about the type of LED i used in the manifolds.

The LEDs come surface mounted on a flexible circuit.
They are different than a rope light.
Heres a close up..

You can buy them in about any length you want.. and these can be cut between every 3rd light. (you can see the white line across the strip in the area where they can be cut.) The 2 pads on each side of the white line are where you can solder the leads for the transformer.

I bought non-waterproof ones, but they are available in a waterproof style if you want to use them outside.

They can be purchased in all the normal colors, Red, Green, Blue, Amber, RGB etc.. and the strip i purchased comes with double sided 3M tape for mounting.
It also appears to me that you can bend these about any way you want, sharp angles etc.. without hurting them.

Brad
The Pendragon likes this.

post #98 of 868 Old 09-05-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What makes this post so funny to me is that you are "SPOT ON" thats exactly what happened when I saw your sheeted room.. I starting feeling Lazy..

Yea.. the P5's an animal on the juice.. I think i read it pulls 300+ watts in standby.
Actually they recommend 2 dedicated 20 amps for the P5 alone.

Bottom inside of left panel I pulled another 100 amp circuit....

Put a 100 amp panel for the rack in the "Soon to be drywalled equiptment room"..

Plan for the Panel
2 dedicated 20's for the P5
1 dedicated 20 for the P2
1 dedicated 20 for the EP2500 (sub amp)
1 for a power conditioner/APC for the D2v and Possible projector.

I have room left in my main panels so I will probably just pull a couple general lighthing circuits from there.

Brad

Quote:

My LEDS for the IB Came in.

Should look pretty cool with the SMX in backlit mode...

Brad

GOOD GOD, This is amazing, first the crazy power requirements and the the IB LEDs, all just plain awesome!

I was thinking about powered amps for my setup down the road potentially since all my speakers are towers, they sound good normal, but that certainly gets a boost from some extra juice. However, if this is the case and I need dedicated circuits like that, I will have to upgrade my measly 40 amp circuit that supports the whole basement as is...I guess thats why they call it 2.0, very cool.

post #99 of 868 Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

GOOD GOD, This is amazing, first the crazy power requirements and the the IB LEDs, all just plain awesome!

I was thinking about powered amps for my setup down the road potentially since all my speakers are towers, they sound good normal, but that certainly gets a boost from some extra juice. However, if this is the case and I need dedicated circuits like that, I will have to upgrade my measly 40 amp circuit that supports the whole basement as is...I guess thats why they call it 2.0, very cool.

It does look amazing...although smaks, I'm pretty sure your corners would all come undone...
post #100 of 868 Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A pictorial Saga of my Elliptical prosecenium build

The total width of the casing is 16' and the ellipse is 12'

Split 2- 4x8 sheets oak ply in half

set 2 halves end to end and traced an ellipse using the "String and 2 Nails" Method.

Then i staked the 1/2's and Cut it out with Jig Saw

Transferred the pattern to the other 2 halves and repeated

Stacked the 4 sides together and sanded the elllipse to smooth out the jig saw cut.

Routered a 1/4 x 1/4 groove in each arch.

Assemble 1/2 the arch.

Each 1/2 of the casing is 8' wide

Broke the first 1/4" oak ply I tried to bend around end radii.

So I steamed the next one.

Check out the Getto Steamer...

After it was soft , I just pressed it down in the routered groove and clamped it in place to cool.

After it was glued i test fit the 1st half.

I built the arches 5 9/16" inside the casing so I could use a 2x6 to slide over and mount.

Assembled the 2nd 1/2 of the casing then cut a keystone from a left over oak stair tread.

Routered the edges and attached this oak lion head I picked up off of ebay.

Shot of the test fit for the full arch and keystone.

I angled to keystone os its looking right at the seats.

I still need to finish the keystone with sides and a full bottom so its looks like it is the depth of the casing.

I'll take everything down now to add the lights in the casing, stain, and finish trimming it all out, and build the screen wall before putting the arch back up.

I'm not sure I like the keystone's size/scale. I might want to cut a little off of the width so it doesnt look so much like home plate. I'm thinking about cutting the sides in closer to the lion's mane, but i cant decide, I'll look at it for a day to see how it feels. any recomendations.. cut it narrower..? leave it like it is...? use it for kindling....?

Brad

post #101 of 868 Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Great work and great pictorial!

-Tom A.

post #102 of 868 Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

LOOKING GREAT!!!!! Great woodwork...
Love the Lion Keystone, can't wait to see more updates
--Manny

ALL SPARK THEATER
post #103 of 868 Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wow(that is an expression of awe!!!) great work man.

I love getto products

The keystone and scale looks good to me. You have to have a theme song to your theater though. May I suggest "I always feel like somebody's watching me!"

post #104 of 868 Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Great job and thanks so much for sharing the process with us. Very interesting.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #105 of 868 Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
+1 Great work, Brad.

I like the keystone as is. It does not look like home plate to me.

What stain are you using?

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

post #106 of 868 Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the encouragement Guys..

With the bending required I'm finding the ellipse has ended up being a large PIA compared to what a standard arc segment would have been.

I went down and looked again this morning, I'll go with the keystone as is, maybe after i add some dimensional depth I'll warm up to it a little more than I did initially.

Omen.. I thought about 2 red LED's in the lions eyes, (only for a min), then it would have felt like someone was watching.

KJ.. I havent started testing stain yet.. but it will be something with some red tint, along the lines of your "B" option in this post. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=181

More to come (eventually....)

Brad

post #107 of 868 Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Been a while since I checked on your progress. The elliptical soffit looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing more.

Dave

|
|
|
post #108 of 868 Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Dave...

Continuing with the Getto theme.. here is a form that compliments my steamer beautifully.

Traced the end of the arch on a 2x, then cut it out with a jig saw.

Mounted the 1st 1/2 of the form and a stop block to another 2x.(you can see the nails in the pieces that are mounted)

After steaming you use the 2nd 1/2 the form and pound the weges between it and the stop block to bend the wood.

After cooling it holds the exact shape.

This piece of trim will be used to add a little reveal to the front of the ellipse.

Brad

post #109 of 868 Old 10-14-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey Brad, the proportions of the prosecenium look really good. What is the size of the screen you have masked out?

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #110 of 868 Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Moggie.. The ellipse is 144" wide with a 10" rise. The masking represents a 120" wide 2:37.

Started mudding and taping "Old Vic" yet?

Brad

post #111 of 868 Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Moggie.. The ellipse is 144" wide with a 10" rise. The masking represents a 120" wide 2:37.

Started mudding and taping "Old Vic" yet?

Brad

Thanks. Mudding and taping just about done and quite a bit more. Update soon!

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #112 of 868 Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Oh My GAWD it has been months since I got advice on my building my underequiped hole in my basement family media room compared to this thread. The reason I was lookign again was we are thinking of building and I am allowed to have my OWN THEATER and was looking into under garage theaters......now I want yours. Truly amazaing I now remember why I fell in love with this site and the people like yourself who grace its presence. I will be following your thread very closely.

Thank you,
Phil

My Home theater thread

post #113 of 868 Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Sweet! Great job with the pics on the proscenium! I love arches over the screen, it is nice to see a theater with one. Very nice...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #114 of 868 Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Warren.
I loved the grandness of the old theaters and wanted to capture what little I could in my room, so I spent a some time looking at the Prosceniums from theaters built around the turn of the century, (not this one.. the last one) and the arch appeared to be one of the prevelant architectural styles.

Heres a neat website of an UK organization, "The Theater Trust", a government organization that advises on new theaters and promotes Sustainablity of exisiting ones.

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/sear...enium&type=all

The site contains an image database of old Theaters/Opera houses/hippodromes from around Europe.

In a way its sadening that some of these beautiful theaters we turned into bingo halls etc.. or were simply abandoned. It would have been fun to see them in their hey-day.

Brad

post #115 of 868 Old 10-25-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Brad,

WONDERFUL Craftsmanship! I think I picked up a few tips myself

The first thought I had about the keystone is it needs to be slightly wider at the bottom so that the lion's whiskers do not extend into the routed edges. One other idea is to put a 1/4" to 3/8" spacer behind the head and have it "float" in front of the keystone a bit. At that point, you could leave the width the same or possibly make it narrower.

Oh -- and some dim red LEDs would be interesting. If you really want to go over the top, add a circuit that taps into the LFE line. As the LFE signal gets stronger, the lights get brighter

And on a unrelated note, it reminds me of an old 80's arcade game called Sinistar. He had some key phrases like: "Beware, I Live -- Run Coward -- The Roar".

Overall, very nice job!

Steve

-->

-->
post #116 of 868 Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Steve,

I love the lions head .... but... You know that lions mane has bugged me ever since I opened up the box.
Its not symetrical to the lions face, those two tufts of mane stick out about 3/8's further on one side. I've waited and waited and there's just something about the lion/keystone that that refuses to grow on me. I like the idea of spacing the lion slightly off the face, ill give that a try first and then cut another keystone if all else fails. I'm stuck in Asia the rest of the week so it'll be a few before I get back too it.

I dont remember Sinistar, I was just getting my drivers license when the first Space Invaders/Asteroids games started hitting the scence, so all my quarters went into the gas tank (@.60 per gallon) for "cruzin".... (that memory made me feel old)

Brad

post #117 of 868 Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Brad, a little late to the party but good to see another IB in Indiana! I've got 4 MJ18's with an EP2500. I've also heard the Fi's and they were just stunning. What part of the state are you in? If you're close and ever need a hand just let me know.
post #118 of 868 Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I like the lion, and wonder if after staining the asymetry will not stand out as much? Also, I think the plaque should be large enough that no part of the lion hangs over (as the mane does now).

Maybe if you had some element that repeated the keystone all the way across the front wall soffit? like dentile molding? This might help tie the keystone down. It currently feels like its floating up there to me.

Looking great!

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #119 of 868 Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello Chadci.. I'm about 20 min N of indy off of 69.. so were about 40min apart. Did you set your IB up for 2 channel or HT originally? I have'nt even begun to try to flatten the IB yet, I'm just gonna wait until the treatments are up, did you have any issues with this or was the rew pretty straight forward.

Brad

post #120 of 868 Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I like the lion, and wonder if after staining the asymetry will not stand out as much? Also, I think the plaque should be large enough that no part of the lion hangs over (as the mane does now).

Maybe if you had some element that repeated the keystone all the way across the front wall soffit? like dentile molding? This might help tie the keystone down. It currently feels like its floating up there to me.

Looking great!

Tony, your probably right about stain blending everything better, and everyone seems in agreement that the mane should not extend past the edges. I contemplated "wittling" back the two tufts on that side, to acheive the symmetry that i seem to require.

The angle on the keystone is such that the top sets out and "should" align with the crown mould I plan to use across the top of the arch/ceiling. The crown has a dentil in it and will dive into the sides of the key.

If i dwell on all the finishing details this much i should be completed around my 3rd reincarnation

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page