Mr_Mike_P's basement construction thread.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Goal:

FP will be "roughed in". Meaning trigger and electrical outlet in soffits for both an electric drop down screen and front projector w/ all related wiring in the conduit.

This is a small townhouse in Brampton, ON. I have hired a GC to do most of the work, but I saved all the LV wiring for myself.

March 28, 2009:

On Saturday I spent a few hours clearing out all the junk in the basement in preparation for wednesday's events, basement floor breakage and plumbing relocates.

Here's what I started with after clearing out most of the junk to the garage...

Day 1: April 1, 2009

Plan: Remove bathroom rough-in and related tie-ins. Relocate water meter to furnace room.

Progress at the end of Day #1...

Looks like the jokes on my GC today, his plumber was MIA and he fired that sub trade. Attempt number 2 tomorrow with another company for plumbing work!

The day wasn't a total loss though. I stayed off work for the day and spent a few hours at the Big Orange and Lil' Blue. Got 3/4 Carlon flex-tube, $50 for 100ft! (got 200ft) plus all the connectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

here's my April 1, 2009 purchase! 200 glorious feet of it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
post #3 of 84 Old 04-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Mike,

Nice progress...

Just wondering if the price for the flex tube was a sale price or regular price? From HD or Lowes? I've only ever seen it in 10 foot lengths for like $6 or so each in blue. Details would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
post #4 of 84 Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

from Lowes on Steeles in Brampton. they had LOTS left.

they also had a price tag posted for 200' of 1/2" @ $59 but there was none on the shelf.

maybe I should buy more 3/4" and resell it

I think this was their regular price, cheaper than smarthome's USD listed price!

Mike
post #5 of 84 Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Good to know that Lowes sells it in rolls like that. Thanks.
post #6 of 84 Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
1/2 and 3/4 are easily found in the big box stores. 2" which many use for the PJ runs is much harder to find in a big box though some have success in electrical supply shops.

Dave

|
|
|
post #7 of 84 Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

1/2 and 3/4 are easily found in the big box stores. 2" which many use for the PJ runs is much harder to find in a big box though some have success in electrical supply shops.

Only this lowes had 3/4" flex in 100' lengths out of all the big box stores in Brampton, including 2x Rona, 2x HD, and 2x Lowes.

You are right though, none of them have the 2" flex. I also could not find it at any electrical supply shops. I'm going to use rigid conduit instead though, it's SO much cheaper. Central Vac tubing to the rescue!

the GC was there this morning w/ his crew. Will have progress pics later tonight....

Mike
post #8 of 84 Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Day #2 (April 2, 2009):

Water meter has been moved! Boy i want to slap the guy who put it here in the first place, what was he thinking!

Before:

After:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up was removing the bathroom rough-in and moving the cleanout / stack tighter to the washer and dryer.

Before:

After:

as you can see, all the builders crappy insulation is gone too!

two final things. 1. kitchen drains and laundry vents were moved out from the wall to acomadate the insulation (2" Rigid foam) and framing. 2. the outside water spigot (is that how its spelt?) was replaced with a frost free valve. The valve handle is on the outside, but the seal is 10" inside the house. Won't have to worry about this puppy freezing up!

Pipes:

Outside water valve:

Tomorrow: Insulation (the rigid kind!)

Mike
post #9 of 84 Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Day #3: April 3, 2009:

Sub-Floor has been installed. It consists of 1" Ship Lapped Rigid Foam, Tuck taped at the seams and covered with 5/8" T&G stagged OSB.

Original intent was to tapcon it all down, but the builder only made the floor 2" thick at best! If we tapcon this down i'll have 500 holes in my floor, NO THANKS! Instead they used PL300 to glue the foam to the floor, then the OSB to the foam.

Well, here's the pics!

Next up (on Monday) the walls get 2" of foam, the joist cavaties get stuffed w/ 2" seal all around then covered w/ fiberglass, and possibly some framing gets started!

Mike
post #10 of 84 Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Day #4 April 6, 2009:

Floor is complete now, wall insulation going up. 2" of it in all, sealed and taped.

Last but not least, the AC Line has been moved out of the way and into the soffit area location.

Tomorrow wall insulation continues and wall framing begins!!

Mike
post #11 of 84 Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Mike, nice progress so far, and fine work from professionals-WTG!

Are you going with a PJ and motorized screen to lower in front of the flatscreen? That soffit looks like a great place to hide a screen! LOL

Like the InWall equipment rack with easy access to the rear of the gear....smart...very smart.

Mind posting the equipment list?
post #12 of 84 Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Hey Mike, nice progress so far, and fine work from professionals-WTG!

Are you going with a PJ and motorized screen to lower in front of the flatscreen? That soffit looks like a great place to hide a screen! LOL

Like the InWall equipment rack with easy access to the rear of the gear....smart...very smart.

Mind posting the equipment list?

you're right on the money with the screen plans! we will be putting a conduit and electrical outlet in the sofft (not energized for now) for this very reason.

An equipment list? Sure!

1. Nothing.

The Ministry of Finance(wife) has given me approval for all new gear! First up is a new HDTV (thinking 58" panny).

my upstairs room (living room) is hardly a wish list of equipment but gets the job done.

27" JVC CRT, 5.1 sony receiver, Zeneith DVD, JBL Centre and Surrounds, Jensen (yes you read that right) bookshelfs for fronts, Sony 12" sub, Wii, HD8300PVR.

Like i said, nothing special but has served me well thus far. The Wii and PVR will be relocated to the new room downstairs.

Mike
post #13 of 84 Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok wiseguy.... a 'planned' equipment list is what i was after! LOL

I also did a 100" drop down over my Pio 50" plasma. I'm still amazed that the sub $1k PJ/Screen setup is miles beyond the performance impact of the Plasma.
post #14 of 84 Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Ok wiseguy.... a 'planned' equipment list is what i was after! LOL

I also did a 100" drop down over my Pio 50" plasma. I'm still amazed that the sub $1k PJ/Screen setup is miles beyond the performance impact of the Plasma.

lol!

My viewing distance is roughly 14' so I am planning on a 58" Panny or 60" Pio Kuro (if I can find one in August!)

Projector is still a while away, so no plans on which one because they change every 6 months to a year. Screen wise again, not sure, slightly depends on projector choice, but atleast 100" 16:9. Not too impressed with 2.35 screens with movies that change AR during the film and end up having the image on the speaker or something. I'd much rather see light black bars top and bottom when the image is 2.35 than lose image when its 16:9. It will be an electric drop down screen though.

Speakers, wiring for 7.x (multiple sub locations will be available) but going with 5.1 to start. Thinking Klipsch Reference series. Future shop has a good deal on a complete 5.1 set and a pioneer rcv'r (VSX-9130) for $3k. Not a bad deal from what i can see. http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN buying all that stuff piece by piece @ retail ends up around $4300, just have to convince the Minstry of Finance now

BluRay of course, no idea on which one though.

Wii, maybe an Xbox 360 later on too.

HTPC is a definate future plan. Computers are "my thing" as most who know me would say and I'm fairly confident I can build a HDMI BluRay server on the cheap.

As some AVSers say, you start by using a rcv'r as the amp and eventually move away from that. With that in mind my sub locations will all be wired for either an active or passive sub install with a customized faceplate that will include a power outlet, banana plugs, and an RCA port. Might even add a Cat5E plug in there to expand options in the future. Something like this perhaps, or just decora w/ keystone inserts.

Mike
post #15 of 84 Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

No update on progress for April 7, 2009. The guys were attending a funeral

Mike
post #16 of 84 Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Day #6 April 8, 2009:

As i mentioned before the crew was off Apr 7/09 to attend a funeral. Today one of the guys was telling me a little about it, heartbreaking stuff.

...April 8, 2009: LOTS of progress today.

all walls now have 2" of Rigid foam, joist cavaties also have 2" spray foamed all the way around.

But the big news of the day...FRAMING! A third guy was in today and with his help they knocked out 80% of it in one day!

Here's some pictures of progress at the end of the day.

Mike
post #17 of 84 Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 PM

Looks good! They're making quick work of it! Oh how I wish I had a basement - not a good idea here in earthquake country...
post #18 of 84 Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Mike as far as subs go, you have a huge advantage with that adjacent enclosed space where the rack is. You'll want to take advantage of some of the new thinking on bass acoustics. Two small 10" or 12" midbass modules could be used for impact or 'slam' and not excite too many room modes. For the really deep stuff that today's engineers are mixing in, a DIY Infinite Baffle sub using the space behind the wall as the enclosure will give you extreme output into the low teens Hz. wise with about the best sound quality available since no box interactions on the drivers output. You'd have to spend multiples of thousands of $$$ to get this level of performance with commercial box subs, not to mention the lost floorspace. The Klipsch package is a nice, efficient choice that won't require much AVR power. Be prepared to eQ the highs a bit though, the horns can get a bit 'shouty', but some of the serious audiophile guys are working around high efficiency horns by using blocks of low density foam inserted into the lens and having amazing results with improvements in directivity and off axis response. In other words...if it's a problem, there's a solution.
post #19 of 84 Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

IB subs have crossed my mind, but this being a townhouse i'm not sure the neighbours would appreciate their pictures rattling off the walls! lol

definately something i'll look into though.

Mike
post #20 of 84 Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Day #7 (April 9, 2009):

Today the guys insulated and framed the cold cellar. We're turning this into a dry storage area and will be bringing this "into the house" so to speak.

The AV Rack is roughed in!

Wednesday night the GC was over to drop off some stuff and take a walk through. We started talking about the stairwall... this is the result of our last minute decision.

Before:

After:

Well folks.. thats the end of "Phase 1". The GC takes a month off to allow me to do some LV wiring and planning (and some $$$ saving!).

updates will still come down the pipe, but at a slower than previous pace. The GC is scheduled to be back Mid-may to move HVAC, rough in electrical (110v) and rough in plumbing in the walls.

Mike
post #21 of 84 Old 04-10-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Nice work so far. I have to say though, I think you should really reconsider a projector and screen since you are sitting 14' away. There are some great projectors out there right now that I think you would be very impressed with. A little over a year ago I went from a 56" Samsung DLP to a 100" screen with a 1080p projector (I sit 11.5' away). I cannot even describe how much I enjoy my PJ and screen. There is no going back to anything smaller. I think you should at least reconsider when you have the room built, and I would wire it in now for a PJ in the future.
post #22 of 84 Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Nice work so far. I have to say though, I think you should really reconsider a projector and screen since you are sitting 14' away. There are some great projectors out there right now that I think you would be very impressed with. A little over a year ago I went from a 56" Samsung DLP to a 100" screen with a 1080p projector (I sit 11.5' away). I cannot even describe how much I enjoy my PJ and screen. There is no going back to anything smaller. I think you should at least reconsider when you have the room built, and I would wire it in now for a PJ in the future.

I will be roughing inthe wiring for the PJ and screen (trigger and power). Might be a year or so after construction is complete before a projector/screen gets installed, but it will be as easy as plugging them in at that point.

in the mean time. looking at a 58" Panny PZ800.

Mike
post #23 of 84 Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

So, yesterday I'm walking through Rona to get some plumbing parts and walk by the Tool section. I noticed a yellow box on the bottom of the clearance shelf and decide to take a closer peak.

Turns out its a 2-piece DeWalt 18v drill/impact kit. Marked from $499 to $469 as "open box". It's got everything, minus the bag.

So I start walking away. I dont need another tool, especially for $469! Thats when the light bulb goes off. I remember seeing a dewalt kit in the Lowes flyer for $198 while i was... uhm.. where most guys read the paper. The box this is in is dusty, price markings all over it. Clearly it's been there a few weeks atleast. Hrmm. I wonder how much I can get this for......

Back over to the tool section I go, grab the box and head over to the Customer Service counter where I poliltely ask for the Manager in charge of tools (no pun intended) . He comes over and already has a grin on his face, almost like he knew where I was headed with this.

So I say to the guy "Hey, I saw this on the clearance shelf for $469, but I remember seeing something similar in the Lowes flyer for $198." He smiles again... "yep". "I'll give you $100 for it", i say.

He opens the box, goes through it all. Packs it back up "Why not, i wanna get rid of this anyways".

JACKPOT! $100 + tax for this, and it's all brand new. The batteries weren't even charged!

Well. thats my update for the day. I spent the rest of the evening fixing my dryer .

Should have plenty done by the weekend. No work happening tonight, it's my wifes and I 2-yr anniversary today, I'd never hear the end of it if I worked on the basement tonight!

Mike
post #24 of 84 Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM

You lucky sucker. Excellent score.
post #25 of 84 Old 04-21-2009, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ordered the Sconces last Friday! They are Kichler 5051OZ's and here's what they look like...

We only ordered 4. Originally we were going to put 4 in the main room and 1 or 2 in the hallway. But after opening up that wall i think two 2-light ceiling fixtures at each end of the hallway will get the job done.

2-4 week delivery though!! We got them from a local lighting store called Lando Lighting. When we first saw them there and asked for a price they wanted $119ea! Luckily they were able to price match an online retailer down to $89ea + tax.

Over the weekend a friend and I completed the basement portions of the central vac rough in, ran all the speaker flex conduit, and ran a vac tube from the electrical panel to the AV / Utility room for future LV wiring needs. Will post pictures later tonight, after I take some

Mike
post #26 of 84 Old 04-26-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Another unplanned addition to the room.

Picked up a Grafik eye 3104 on Friday for $250CDN shipped, New in box too!

I currently have 3 zones planned.

1) 4 pot lights
2) 2 front sconces
3) 2 back sconces

any idea's for a 4th zone/circuit? I'm open to ideas except for rope lighting as there is no crown (planned or unplanned) or riser.

Mike
post #27 of 84 Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

No one has any ideas on a 4th lighting circuit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

some updates from the LV wiring side of things....

over the last few weeks a friend and I have been doing lots of little jobs in order to future proof the basement and LV wiring of my home.

1. Central vac, piped and wired to the garage incase I or a future owner ever want it, Done.

2. Alarm system hardwired in and all lines pulled to the Utility room behind the AV rack, Done.

3. 2x Cat5E to the living room couch area upstairs, Done.

4. 2x Cat5E to the TV area in the living room, Done.

5. CATV wiring from the demarc spot outside connected and ran to the AV Rack area, Done. The builder also terminated all upstairs TV runs to the electrical panel. We added some couplers and re-routed the lines to the utility closet area. Man this area is quickly becoming a rats nest of wiring!

6. Smurf tubes ran to each speaker location + sub, Done.

7. Strings through the smurf tube, Done. I had a bit of anticipation to see how well the string + kleenex + shopvac trick worked, and HOLY COW that was easy! we had 6x 3/4" tubes stringed in less than 10 minutes! It was near instant. definately the way to go.

8. 2" conduit from electrical panel / telecom demarc to utility room, Done. This was done as a long term futureproofing idea. This is hopefully to allow easy wiring of future fibre optic internet service, or whatever is decided be it extra cable TV lines, cable modem, etc. this conduit has room to spare.

Mike
post #28 of 84 Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I was going to say rope lighting for the last zone . . . .

Since you don't want that, I am guessing a start ceiling isn't in the plans?
Perhaps lighted poster boxes?
If you were to switch to projection and a fix screen, I'd say 3 small pots to wash the screen.

Dave

|
|
|
post #29 of 84 Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

I was going to say rope lighting for the last zone . . . .

Since you don't want that, I am guessing a start ceiling isn't in the plans?
Perhaps lighted poster boxes?
If you were to switch to projection and a fix screen, I'd say 3 small pots to wash the screen.

LOL which is why i mentioned no rope lighting from the start or I'd have a million replies for rope lighting w/o any real progress

The screen wash idea isn't terrible, even w/o a fixed screen.

the other idea I had was to add a single light above the AV rack on it's own zone... might be a HUGE waste of GE power though!

Mike
post #30 of 84 Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'd second a nice DIY lit movie poster box or two. Or you could add an entry controller at the top of the stairs, and do some step/floor in wall lighting down the hallway/stairs.

You also have to watch your zones as there is a minimum load per zone on the GE.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page