Need helping designing a $2 million dollar home theater/game room - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enwolf View Post

Yes I know all of this is needed but I didn't come here for construction tips. Just info on equipment to put in the rooms, other furniture and stuff to put in, and ideas for possible layouts.

If you don't want contruction tips then this isn't the forum for you. There is a 100K and up equipment forum. If you read the topics you will see that this is for Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > Dedicated Theater Design & Construction. There is another section forequipment andthis isn't it.

Loganed - A long time ago.
My DVD Collection
My Build Thread - "under construction"
PSN: AtsymSknyfs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Like eddy said as well as many others

Quote:

Yes I know all of this is needed but I didn't come here for construction tips. Just info on equipment to put in the rooms, other furniture and stuff to put in, and ideas for possible layouts.

So put up or shut up is the way we see it.
post #93 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there are no floor plans fully made up yet. We only have part of the house planned out now.

So far things we want for sure in the game room and theater are

-a computer section for net use and lan parties (shes big into WoW and PC shooters)

-a normal gaming/tv area with a 50"+ inch tv

-pool table

-snack and drink bar

-and have also surround sound stereo around the room

-And she wants big windows, almost taking up the whole walls

thats all we have planned for sure for that room so far

for the theater

- at least 8 to 10 seats, one being a big two person reclincer

- at least a 110" screen with the best video projector we can find

- snack/drink bar

and all the sound equipment in it that we need.

thats all we have so far
post #94 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 PM

If this shack is only going to take two months to build I would have thought that the blueprints would have been completed and the pics on the forum 20 posts ago
post #95 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

never said it was going to. just thought that it was possible that it could be. I guess a more realistic finish date is sometime in spring, or possibly even by christmas
post #96 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

by the way. for a projector screen. which is better? painting it on the wall or getting an actual screen? want this to be big
post #97 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
LOL, you may as well give up. No one here believes you, including me. Did your parents block you from myspace so you came here?

post #98 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I think you're in the wrong forum. If you're looking for cool ideas for the whole entertainment area, I would ask in the "Media Room" forum. This forum is for the nuts and bolts of the construction of dedicated theaters. As you can tell from this thread, probably better not to come off as too boastful in your first post. Just say you are looking for ideas for the ultimate home game/theater area. At $2M, it's basically ultimate for the average joe. I believe there was a thread here for fun ideas, but I can't find it.

It would be neat to make it basically like a commercial entertainment venue. You enter through double doors into a large game room with a pool table in the middle. One area has a large bar and next to it a snack bar with fountain drinks, ice cream bar and popcorn machine. TVs all around for sports events. Then have your door into your theater off of the game room. One problem I see is that a game room means a lot of video screens and big windows mean a lot of sun and glare. Would be cool to have those windows made of LCD panels which you can frost at the flip of a switch, although there would still be some glare. Motorized blackout shades would work too. This is a retro idea, but I always thought it would be neat to have skeeball at home. Get a couple for side-by-side play and have it spit out tickets. Then add an area for people to redeem their tickets for prizes.
post #99 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

by the way. for a projector screen. which is better? painting it on the wall or getting an actual screen? want this to be big

Go with the Stewart Cine-W which someone suggested earlier.
post #100 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post

Go with the Stewart Cine-W which someone suggested earlier.

ok thanks and yeah interesting idea
post #101 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I guess a more realistic finish date is sometime in spring, or possibly even by christmas

So, sometime between now and Christmas?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #102 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 02:10 PM

This is one of the funnier threads I've read in a while.
post #103 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Painted wall vs professional screen ?

build 5 mil house in 2 months ? or spring ? or Xmas ?

2 Mil for games room/theater ?

LAN parties ? in HS maybe

wont hire professional to design with basically unlimited budget
= keeping all of you responding to his drivel

You guys just cant help it right ?

Stop

Feeding

The

TROLL
post #104 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
AVS'ers are always here to help.......you've definitely come to the right place!

Okay, I think I understand what you're getting at for your design......

I took the liberty of creating a design based on your specific measurements provided, as well as keeping in mind these following points that are important to you:

Quote:

So far things we want for sure in the game room and theater are

-a computer section for net use and lan parties (shes big into WoW and PC shooters)
-a normal gaming/tv area with a 50"+ inch tv
-pool table
-snack and drink bar
-and have also surround sound stereo around the room
-And she wants big windows, almost taking up the whole walls
thats all we have planned for sure for that room so far
for the theater
- at least 8 to 10 seats, one being a big two person reclincer
- at least a 110" screen with the best video projector we can find
- snack/drink bar
and all the sound equipment in it that we need.

Taking those into account, and incorporating the floor plan/blueprint you posted on IGN:

Here is a 3D rendering of the space based on your blueprints, to give you a better idea of what your room will look like in a finished state:

I did have some trouble with aligning the chairs the way you specified, but once installed, we staill have the ability to adjust them taste.

For the computer area, I've chosen to go with a Sun Microsystem configured as a Beowulf Cluster, since this would easliy have enough computing horsepower to host a LAN party as well as do some Folding@Home on the side (to cure cancer or what have you).

A PS3 is installed in the secondary gaming area - I'm assuming it will follow you from your current apartment. I opted for exotic hardwood in this area, so you can easily clean up spills of whatever drinks/fluids might spill when you beat the Big Boss:

I think however, the server cluster will block out most of the big window you specified in your original plans. From a design perspective, I would advise considering laying the servers on their sides as so not to obscure the view.

The Bar and Music sections are pretty straight forward - I took the liberty of designing the music area to be unobstructed to allow for accurate and unrestricted RockBand drumming, while still providing good egress/flow from the main entry into the theater.

The Bar area is pretty standard, and can be tailored to allow for your 'snake bar' concept - I included built-in retractable chicken wire enclosures to keep them corralled, depending on what your local bylaws indicate for proper keeping of snakes. As well, ensure you post the 'Over 21' drinking age signage, as so that minors know that they have to be old enough to be in such a room - remember, liability is a very scary thing!

Moving onto the theater proper, you can see that I've opted to propose the use of 'stealth equipment', so that there is no need for a rack creating an incursion into the room. The rack equipment (mostly Monster Power Conditioners, and a Bose Lifestyle system) would be housed in the attic of the home and controlled through a series of IR repeaters.

There are two huge columns of speakers flanking the screen - this is so that guests at least 'feel like' there is a really powerful speaker there and give a visual cue that a lot of investment was made in the equipment side of the build. The snack area is built-in as per your specification, and contains all your usual snack-type snacks and soda pop type pops. We can discuss inclusion of a Ritalin dispenser perhaps thrown in with the popcorn machine.

Unfortunately, your list of needs/wants did not include what sort of lighting designs work for you, so I'm proposing some standard ceiling fans every six feet in both room areas. This way, there is no requirement for HVAC into the room, as the fans will more than adequately provide air exchange, and reduce obvious penetrations that could allow sound to escape into the main body of the home.

I trust that this is an accurate design based on all of the information you have provided. I'm not a professional, so there's no need to worry that I would inflict my 'own design' whims upon you - this is yours, and you can be proud!

For fees, seeing as I'm not a professional (but I do prefer using Sketchup over MS Paint for designing), my fees for this completed plan will be $422,316.72 plus taxes. I accept VISA or Mastercard, and if you do wish to pay me by cheque, I would prefer that it be a Certified one from your institution. CAD drawings will be supplied upon receipt of payment.

Good Luck on your project!
post #105 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by YW84U View Post

The Bar area is pretty standard, and can be tailored to allow for your 'snake bar' concept - I included built-in retractable chicken wire enclosures to keep them corralled, depending on what your local bylaws indicate for proper keeping of snakes.

I really was trying to lay-off this post, per Scruff's urgings...but I swear to god, between this and Shawn's cat picture, I am damn near pissing myself.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #106 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Yw.....

You are Priceless....... Just like this thread...
post #107 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

So, sometime between now and Christmas?

no spring 2010
post #108 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 PM

That is by far the funniest post I have ever seen.

Frank[/quote]

Just a movie quote but I appreciate it.

YW84U- You left out the nordost cables on acrylic stands, but other than that I think your design is spot on!
post #109 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

no spring 2010

I take it you meant 2 years and accidentally typed days when describing how fast it could be done. I understand, mistakes happen

What happens if you and your girlfriend breakup before then. I would take 1million, get married first (with pre-nup) then build the "ultimate" gaming area.

Seriously, you should look at the high end gear section of avs to find top of theline equipment.

My DVD Collection
post #110 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YW84U View Post

AVS'ers are always here to help.......you've definitely come to the right place!

Okay, I think I understand what you're getting at for your design......

Good Luck on your project!

Nice work but its wont be server clusters. Just a row of regular desktop computers.

also the secondary game area will be more like a pit with sitting area around it mostly. But good thinking with flooring.

But where is the snake pit and tiger?
post #111 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

ok well my fiancee and I are soon to start getting our new house built starting in May and are right now working out our plans for it.

Quote:

I'll take pics of the place when its done. Clearing the land will start next week so we are hoping it will all be done by sometime in June.

Quote:

I guess a more realistic finish date is sometime in spring, or possibly even by christmas

Quote:

no spring 2010

Do you make this up as you go along?
post #112 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice work but its wont be server clusters. Just a row of regular desktop computers.

also the secondary game area will be more like a pit with sitting area around it mostly. But good thinking with flooring.

But where is the snake pit and tiger?

OK, so instead of the serversyoucould have a table with a bunch of monitors and some keyboards. When company wants to have a LANpartythey connect to the monitor and plug the ethernet port, better yet make the entire room 1 big wifi access point.

Do you want real snakes andtigers or will statues be enough

My DVD Collection
post #113 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait.....lemme guess......you are also surfing house building forums right now learning how to pour a basement because you don't want to hire pros. And you're fiancee is surfing interior decorating forums to get ideas on how to import the finest silk from China so she can DIY curtains.
post #114 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 303
You know, all these guys want pics of the blueprints or foundation, etc. To hell with that...how about a pic of this so-called fiancée? I'd like to meet a gal worth $70mil; hell, I don't even think my wife would mind.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #115 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

You know, all these guys want pics of the blueprints or foundation, etc. To hell with that...how about a pic of this so-called fiancée? I'd like to meet a gal worth $70mil; hell, I don't even think my wife would mind.

CD

Here Here!!! I wouldn't even mind if she was ugly for 70 mil!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #116 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Here Here!!! I wouldn't even mind if she was ugly for 70 mil!

Regards,

RTROSE

Hell for that amount of money my wife would drive me to her place, drop me off and not expect me home for as long as I wanted as long as I was comin home with some of that dough!! Got to love this thread. If nothing else it makes me laugh

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #117 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

post #118 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

She is pretty.
post #119 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Enough of this nonsense.... I have a realistic and exciting project that I need input on. I want to build a home theater gaming sytem on a space station and incorporate the natural surroundings to play the ultimate version of Asteroids !!!! WHO'S WITH ME !!!!!
post #120 of 182 Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

this is my fiancee

http://i39.tinypic.com/25qaesn.jpg

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOWS THERE IS NO EARTHLY WAY THIS IS YOUR FIANCE??

This whole thing is a freakin joke and honestly ridiculous but I am here with popcorn and a beer waiting it out. Let me guess shes a playboy centerfold too?????

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page