Scopeguy's 'Scope Theater - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 243 Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are still toying with the "to baseboard or not to baseboard" question you can wait a few weeks to see mine. I will have wood paneling similar to yours with black GOM panels and I will have baseboard. The main different is that mine is a little more like traditional panels with panel molding holding in the GOM panels. So my panel frames will be spaced out approx 1" from the wall allowing for recessed linacoustic panels.

How tall is your bottom panel frame as compared to the top? I will have about a 4" base and a 3.5" panel frame. I think it would look wrong to have a base that is smaller than the panel frame and you shouldn't make the bottom panel frame any smaller than the top so your options may be limited. It looks good like it is so there is no need to change anything unless it really bugs you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 243 Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
The base is 7.5 inches and the top is 3.75 inches. I think I'm just going to leave it as is. I like the way the front of the room just disappears with the lights out.

Greg
post #183 of 243 Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

The painters have been back. All the touch-ups look good. The theater was supposed to come out with less sheen with the new paint, but is actually looks more shiny to me than before.

I haven't had a chance to try it out for a movie because both my laptop and desktop computers decided they didn't want to start up anymore and of course windows system restore was useless (maybe I need windows 7...) so I've spent all day fixing them

Tomorrow I should be able to test out the room again.

Greg
post #184 of 243 Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Computers! I know it's too late now, but in the future try out Windows Home Server - all PCs get backed up automatically, and can be restored to any previous back up state from the server's image. It'll run on any old PC you have laying around (Pentium III era and above), and has a free 120 trial. Plus, it's only $99. And...(ok, can you tell I like it?) in my case it doubles as the media server holding all movies, music, photos, etc. And...(ok, getting to fan boi status) you can access those files remotely from any internet connected computer with a username/strong password combo. Works great for a lot of folks.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #185 of 243 Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Audixium

The funny thing is I do have a Windows home server with the automatic backup, which is great... unless both your computers take a dump within about 24 hrs of each other and you can't get on your server because you are out of computers!! I hadn't set up remote access yet... oops I completely agree with you that windows home server is excellent, I couldn't believe how easy it is to backup and transfer things using it.

Oh well, I haven't really lost anything because anything I need is still on the server and I've really cleaned the useless junk off the computers now. It's just not my favorite way to spend the weekend.
post #186 of 243 Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Can the Paradigm Studio Esprit's be wall-mounted using other ways? Like Omnimounts? Or you really have to use the standard supplied bracket?

Would you happen to have a bare photo of the rear of the Studio Esprit's somewhere?

Thanks!

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #187 of 243 Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have a picture of the back of the speaker, and being behind the screen and tucked into the acoustical panels, they are a little difficult to get at. Sorry.

The back of the speaker is curved, basically a hemisphere. The supplied mount is in two pieces, one mounts to the back of the speaker and matches the curve and is adjustable for toe-in. The other part is mounted to the wall and the two slide together. The speaker has 2 bolt-holes in the back that you screw into to attach part of the bracket.

I'm sure that you could find a way to use these two holes in the speaker and possibly parts of the supplied mount to adapt it to an omnimount. The supplied mount is actually pretty clever though, I guess the question is what exactly you need that the supplied mount doesn't do?

Greg
post #188 of 243 Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Greg!

Based on what you've said I guess I just pretty much have to find out if I'll be able to adapt the mounting holes to an omnimount. So essentially, the only thing you can do with the supplied mounting is toe-in?

I'm considering the Paradigm Studio Esprit as front height and rear surround speakers. Studio 10's and Studio 20's don't have mounting holes, are heavy and curved on the back.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #189 of 243 Old 11-15-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yes the only adjustment is for toe in and the mount is very low profile. The studio esprit center can be mounted horizontally and then the tilt can be changed if this would help for the height channels. The esprits would make good surround speakers, I decided to use the ADP ones because I wanted bipolar surrounds.

The wall mounted part of the bracket looks like this..

The speaker mounted part then slides into it. I'm sure if you're not able to do something with the 2 screw holes on the back of the speaker, that you could come up with a way of attaching this piece to an omnimount to give you more options.

Greg
post #190 of 243 Old 11-16-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Greg! I think I'd like them vertically-oriented. Having them horizontally-oriented would be an eye sore for me.

post #191 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeguy View Post

Thanks RT

I'm also excited to see how the media server works out. I know as soon as I got my squeezebox, I never used a CD again. I don't know whether it will be quite as revolutionary with movies/TV shows for me, but it should be nice, even if only to feed the 3 other TVs in the house.

I was a little tired of the lack of progress in the actual theater room, as most of the work has been elsewhere in the basement. So I mounted the subwoofer and front speakers!

Here are the Pics, as requested

The dual SDX-15 subwoofers!

Mounting brackets for the paradigm esprit's

The paradigm esprit speakers

I chose the esprit because I wanted to use the paradigm studio dipolar surround speakers and wanted a front speaker that could be easily hidden behind my screen without requiring the false wall be too far out into the room.

The bracket system to hold the speaker to the wall seems quite clever and sturdy. you can have -5,0,7,or 14 degrees of tow-in, and there is a hole designed to keep the speaker cable hidden behind. They only sell them as pairs, or as a center that has a horizontal tweeter. I wanted all of my speakers up front to be exactly the same so I rotated the tweeter/midrange holder 90 degrees, to allow me to vertically mount it like the others. Now to find a way to get some power to them!

Greg

Curious why you didn't go with the dedicated center speaker? Also can you give me an idea of what those speakers cost please? I don't know if they are even slow to my budget and I want to spare myself the embarrassment of asking the local Paradigm dealer.

Your build looks AMAZING. I am using a lot of the ideas in my build!

Thanks,

Neil
post #192 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post

Curious why you didn't go with the dedicated center speaker? Also can you give me an idea of what those speakers cost please? I don't know if they are even slow to my budget and I want to spare myself the embarrassment of asking the local Paradigm dealer.

Your build looks AMAZING. I am using a lot of the ideas in my build!

Thanks,

Neil

Using 3 identical speakers is ideal. Dedicated, horizontally sitting centers are the worst sonically as their is significant comb filtering.

OP, make sure you load up that wall with thick absorption other wise you'll have significant secondary reflections and collapse your soundstage.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #193 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Really? I am still very new to this. I would have thought that the sides that are matched to the center would be the best possible sound.

Neil
post #194 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff

I treated the front wall with 7 inches of OC703, so hopefully there are no secondary reflections now.

Neil

As Jeff says using three identical front speakers is ideal, because each speaker should sound the same and panning between them should be seamless (not accounting for the differences caused by placement in the room.

The esprit speakers were about $1000 each.

Paradigm only sells the esprits in pairs and the esprit center alone, so in fact I did buy a dedicated center. I then rotated the midrange/tweeter driver in the center 90 degrees to make it like the other esprits and avoid the comb filtering caused by a horizontally placed d'Apolito like design that Jeff mentions. I trust there is no difference in the crossover between the center and the other esprits.

Using the same speaker all the way around the room may be ideal, but I wanted dipolar surrounds for the wider soundstage in the rear speakers, hence the 6 ADP-590s speakers in the rear. Monpole surround speakers are easier to localize with your ears and I think spoil the surround effect a little.

It's been a while since I updated the thread. The remote control system is almost done. The shade now closes the window and the lights dim to an appropriate level just by pressing play. It is very cool! Otherwise, just been watching movies and enjoying the space. Still waiting for the final calibration of the system.

Greg
post #195 of 243 Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Neil, using your own logic, you can't get anymore "matched" than using the same!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #196 of 243 Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 PM

I guess there is nothing more matched than the same speaker but I thought the center speaker would have greater range than the left and rights.

So let me get this straight Scopeguy you bought the pair and the actual center, rotated the tweeter in the center 90% and hung it huh? Thats pretty amazing. Was the center priced like the pair?

Thanks,

Neil
post #197 of 243 Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

It was slightly more Than half the price of the left and right (which were sold as a pair).
The driver housing is just held in with 8 screws, and it has a rubber gasket to create a seal (it's not siliconed in place or anything like that) so it was easy to turn.

Most center speakers actually have less range than the left and right speakers because they tend to be smaller and have less advantageous driver layouts to take up less space so they can fit below a TV (even though they may be carrying up to 80% of the audio program). With an acoustically transparent screen you can avoid these concerns.

Greg
post #198 of 243 Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

out of curiousity, how do you hook up a second set of side speakers? do you just daisy-chain them?

i have a budget bigger than my budget.

post #199 of 243 Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I divided the side surround output from the preamp and fed it to 2 amplifiers per side. I could have just wired the 2 sets of speakers into my amp in parallel and presented it with a 4 ohm load (my surround speakers are 8 ohm). With calibration it probably doesn't matter how you do it, just make sure your amp will handle the load if you are wiring them in parallel. My Bryston amps could handle it, but a little overkill doesn't hurt!

Greg
post #200 of 243 Old 12-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I divided the side surround output from the preamp and fed it to 2 amplifiers per side. I could have just wired the 2 sets of speakers into my amp in parallel and presented it with a 4 ohm load (my surround speakers are 8 ohm). With calibration it probably doesn't matter how you do it, just make sure your amp will handle the load if you are wiring them in parallel. My Bryston amps could handle it, but a little overkill doesn't hurt!

Greg

just to make sure im following this right, do you come out of the Side Surround Left port for example with a Y cable and go to each amp that way?

i have a budget bigger than my budget.

post #201 of 243 Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

That is exactly right.

Greg
post #202 of 243 Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the remote system

The rack controller

The Remote

The lutron shade is finally working!

And the rack is almost ready to be put away (until the next upgrade)

Greg
post #203 of 243 Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Wait! Your popcorn machine has IR control?

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #204 of 243 Old 12-31-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
somebody has a million bux!

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #205 of 243 Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 AM

Liked: 11
I am assuming "Popcorn" means the Popcorn Hour unit he has in the rack... it is that tiny silver box about 3-feet up from the bottom of the rack.

It is a Network Media box that plays video/audio from your computer network shares.
post #206 of 243 Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure Moggie was joking

On the other hand, how hard would it be to automate a popcorn maker; a 120 volt relay triggered by the rack automation unit...hmm...might be fun!

Greg
post #207 of 243 Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:

On the other hand, how hard would it be to automate a popcorn maker; a 120 volt relay triggered by the rack automation unit...hmm...might be fun!

Greg

Perhaps you whip up a tiny robot to go and get it and feed it to you too!! now that would be awesome
post #208 of 243 Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Greg

In college we built an automated bartender.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #209 of 243 Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Scope I am trying to use a lot of your ideas. Did you say previously how you attached your 703 to the wall? I see the plastic washers and I went to home depot today and only saw some short nails with those washers. I am going to do the 7 inches as well and I found super long lag bolts but their heads are real proud of the shaft so it might be a problem for me.

Thanks!

Neil
post #210 of 243 Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

I used four inch screws (the longest that could easily be found here) and exchanged out the short screws that came with the washers. The first three layers were screwed into the wall with the 4 inch screws and then the next three layers were screwed on with four inch screws into the other layers of 703. It doesn't have to be fastened to wood, the 703 is rigid enough to hold a screw.

Greg
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page