Best way to paint high walls on staircase? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to paint the walls going down the staircase to the home theater. However, its probably a 15' high ceiling going down the staircase. I'm also considering replacing the light fixture. Anyone do something like this before? What is the best and safest way to get up there?

I have a Little Giant knockoff ladder, but it doesn't feel too sturdy. I'm thinking I need scaffolding (eg. baker scaffolding).

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Liked: 32
Roller on an extension pole for painting...Scaffolding for light fixture...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

We are struggling with the same issue, but our staircase is curved. Time to get creative...
post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
are the stairs carpeted or a hard surface? I've just finished painting what sounds like a similar arrangement and I just adjusted the length of the legs of my Little Giant on carpeted stairs... I had no worries, other than occasionally standing a little higher on the ladder than I probably should have. No slips of the ladder at all... whenever possible I kept one set of legs pressed against a vertical surface (baseboard, vertical edge of a step). I probably wouldn't take the same approach on stairs with a hard surface... or if I did, I'd do so with some sort of non-slip between the feet of the ladder and the floor surface. I don't have any good ideas for the curved staircase.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I have a werner step ladder that you can set the the height of one end higher or lower than the other. That said, there was a certain amount of "reaching" when we edged. When it came time to do it again my wife lobbied for letting the pro who was in for some other high ceiling work do it. The price was right, so there you go.

When the crew plastered our old one, they just made in impromptu scaffold by nailing a plank to a to step, and a couple vertical 2x4s. Seemed precarious.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Two step ladders propped against the wall and a 2x8. Allows light orientation , painting and of course cutting in at the ceiling.

I also use it to access inside my poorly planned ticket booth.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I also have a Little Giant ladder - I love it.

John
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Roller on an extension pole for painting...

Except a roller can't cut in at the ceiling. Unless you're changing color a pad on a pole might get close enough. Then the problem is that you're so close to the wall it's hard to see up there.

Unfortunately the only way to do it right is to get with arm's reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Two step ladders propped against the wall and a 2x8. Allows light orientation , painting and of course cutting in at the ceiling.

Hi, Art. Decent idea, but if he's like me there's a landing with room for one stepladder, but the other would have to sit on the stairs. Or one stepladder on the landing with a board to the step at that level - but that's an awfully long span for a 2x8 to hold up 250 lbs. I think I'd screw a vertical 2x4 under it to make a T-beam.

I pity the guys with the enclosed curved staircases. I'd like to hear how they manage to do it.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Btw, one solution I'm considering is to get rid of the light fixture on the wall - which seems to attract hits from everything moved on the stairs - and install a couple of recessed fixtures in the ceiling. (I can get at the ceiling from the attic.)

Does anyone know of a recessed fixture where the lamp can be changed from above?

post #10 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post

Btw, one solution I'm considering is to get rid of the light fixture on the wall - which seems to attract hits from everything moved on the stairs - and install a couple of recessed fixtures in the ceiling. (I can get at the ceiling from the attic.)

Does anyone know of a recessed fixture where the lamp can be changed from above?

If you go with a recessed light with an open trim ring then you can use something like this on an extension pole to change the bulb. -Apparently I don't have enough posts to have permission to post links yet. Google "bulb changer extension" and you'll find several gadgets. Home Depot sells them for less than 10 bucks, without the pole.

As far as painting the walls/ceiling, I just finished mine & it wasn't much fun. I built what was essentially a stud wall that rested on a step and leaned against the end wall at a slight angle. Being kicked into the stair like this ensured that it wasn't goig to slip or move. It had 3 vertical studs and a flat 2x4 to distribute the load across the end wall where this "scaffold" made contact and a 2x4 on edge to support my platform. It was the same height as my 1st floor.

Then I used a couple of 2x12's to span from my scaffold to the floor, creating a platform that makes the distance to the ceiling the same as the rest of your house. The 2x12's do flex a little and it takes some getting used to but it held my 250lbs just fine. I set up an 8' stepladder on the 2x12's to cut in at the ceiling (I have 9' ceilings).

The only real pain was that I had to set up/take down the scaffold for each coat on the end wall. Only took a few minutes though.

Whatever you do, good luck!
post #11 of 11 Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm aware of those for lamps with a screw base, but I use MR16 halogens and they don't unscrew.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page