pre-wire gone, what should i do - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
guys, sorry for the kind of unrelated question. but it is certainly structural related.

here is teh problem. I just bought a house (not closed), it was claimed that the house has the media room prewired, but after inspection, i was told it was a hearsay, we could locate the so called wires.

so now i am rather mad, this was one rather important reason when i decide to offer, but now they sound like just want to brush it off.

what would you guys recommand? is it a big deal? if i want to, what should i ask from them? can then put in the wires as 'pre-wired'? if not, can i ask for credits? how much would you value it?

very appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Is there anything in writing or marketing materials that claims that the room is pre-wired? If not I don't think you have much of a case. You can act nasty and see if they budge. You could get an estimate of what it would take to fish in some wires and use that as an negotiating point.

Without knowing the room and the construction of your house it is hard to know how big a problem this is going to be. Most times it is not that too bad of a job for an experienced wire fisher.

Are you sure the wires aren't there? all the wires "could" be behind the drywall. Even if it is pre-wired how do you know they are in the right location? they might have wired for 5 channel and you want to go 7.1. They could be in the ceiling and you want them down lower.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
yes, it was in the ad, the print out, even written on the door.....
post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
in this market?

if you dont mind the very slim possibility of losing the house, offer a few options to the seller (and make your agent say something stern to the selling agent for misleading you):

1.) 10,000 dollars off contract (if you get 5000, consider that a good deal).

2.) Sellers pay for 3 quotes to have room wired -- assume that means at least 5.1 speakers, CATV, ethernet if other rooms have ethernet. The average of the quotes is taken off the contract.

3.) Sellers get the room wired prior to close.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Liked: 11
not knowing the layout of the room, or location in the home, I can say that most of the residential installations I've done, I've ended up fishing and running new wires for... by most, I mean 8-9 out of 10. With the right tools, and a little luck it isn't too bad - unless it's an ICF home - Grrrrrrr I hate ICF....

On another note, fishing new means you know your runs are good, and there isn't a staple or drywall nail through the cables. I've encountered this on a number of occasions - I once wired a house "too early"... before the insulators came in, and "poof" all the wires were stolen...nice...

The last theater I installed with a friend of mine, was in a completely finished basement - drywall ceilings. We fished for 5.2, and all the projector cables including 110 on a dedicated circuit - it only took us an afternoon.

If it were me, I'd get whatever cash I could from the builder, and run my own wires... just my 2c.

Good luck with your situation
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimelurker View Post

in this market?
10,000 dollars off contract (if you get 5000, consider that a good deal).

Not sure where those figures are from, I'd consider consider $1000 a good deal. We are only talking about one room, not the whole house.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Not sure where those figures are from, I'd consider consider $1000 a good deal. We are only talking about one room, not the whole house.

Yea...BUT, if he gets 5000 then he can shell out some to me and some to you for our own new cables/wire..lol..
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimelurker View Post

in this market?

if you dont mind the very slim possibility of losing the house, offer a few options to the seller (and make your agent say something stern to the selling agent for misleading you):

1.) 10,000 dollars off contract (if you get 5000, consider that a good deal).

2.) Sellers pay for 3 quotes to have room wired -- assume that means at least 5.1 speakers, CATV, ethernet if other rooms have ethernet. The average of the quotes is taken off the contract.

3.) Sellers get the room wired prior to close.

I'd leave #3 out. If they have to run wires at this point in time, they will be pissed off, and do a just good enough job to make it work. You'll end up re-running things anyways to have it how you want it. Stick with putting a monetary value to it, then do it yourself (or hire someone to do it) how you want it done.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page