Please help.... small theater, alot of ideas, where to start - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
first off Let me say I thank God i found this site.... it's been a life saver

next i'm 25, I own half a 2 family house with my mom. i have three bedrooms, and i love movies, to the point i have as of right now 258 HD movies. and maybe 600 standard dvd

I've been driving myself literally crazy over the last two months with this theater project that i've yet to really start.

I'm working with a budget that i've been unable to keep, Lat month i said i would complete my theater by november just in time for thanksgivings,

"yeah right"

i said i would slowly buy furniture, then less than a month later i spent 3000 on a living room set.

"you see how i'm sticking to the plan"

I said i would build the theater in the living room, then decided not to after i got the livingroom set. Why force everybody to have to watch tv in the dark, deal with washout, or force them in a smaller room to watch a regular tv.

so that left me with a Computer room, a dressing room, and a bedroom. both the dressing room and computer room are oddly changed. So i packed up my bedroom and moved it into the slighly bigged computer room, and moved the computer room in my bedroom....

and this is where the real story starts... the room is 12 x 12

i really want to buy the projector on july first. but i know the room and house needs other things first..

here's my check list of things needed

Beige or cream painting

new carpeting

2 black curtains and rods

projector hd65 and screen

2 z5500 surround systems

sound proof paddding

and i believe thats it...

I feel a 12 x 12 room is two small for a stage.

i honestly can wait on the surround sound. i have cheap one already.
i can wait for carpeting/ but i do need the soundproof padding

everything else i would say i need is pretty cheap.

But i don't know what to do first...

with my deadline being thanksgiving i have a few months to go. but by me buying the living set at one shot i screwed up the buget but i think i'll be able to buy everything i need in time. i just don't know
in what order should i build my theater. any list and or ideas would be greatly needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Well, it sounds like you have a lot going on...some of which the forum isn't really going to be able to help you with (staying on budget, other priorities like the Living Room set, restrictions to the HT because of your living situation, etc.). Also, with your budget and room size of 12x12, don't set your expectations on some of the rooms you've seen here on AVS; for example, you don't have enough room to realistically do 2 rows of seats or a 150" screen, or a stage like you mentioned. That being said, if you've looked in particular at the Small Theater builds here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=996973ttp://, there's no reason you couldn't do a cozy HT with the space and budget you've got.

First step: clear the room out and send us a pic. Also, start to explain some of your design priorities in plain language; soundproof "padding"...not really sure what that means. Are you talking about Linacoustic? Do you want to keep sound in or sound out? Just try and tell us what you need to accomplish without getting into the jargon just yet.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #3 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkjones View Post

Beige or cream painting

Winehouse says "no, no, no"
post #4 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Winehouse says "no, no, no"

Ok so what color then? i have 2 recline chairs in there right now, one is black and the other is biege, what color scheme hould i use... by the way your theater is amazing.....
post #5 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so what color then? i have 2 recline chairs in there right now, one is black and the other is biege, what color scheme hould i use... by the way your theater is amazing.....

Winehouse says Back to Black. If you can; but if you can't paint Black, because of your living situation, go darker than Cream or Beige.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #6 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

How do i post pictures, without having you all have to click on them.....
post #7 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

DJ, how did you plan to mount the PJ? With 12', I'd suggest a shelf-mount at the back of the room. Also, as you have mentioned, you gotta block/black out those windows, and I would get that room a little darker.

Other than that, the good news is you seem to have a big, unobstructed screen wall.

CD

post #9 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

so this is what i want to do with this theater.

It will be a cozy theater.

Here's what i'm thinking

Instead of having the chairs face the wall, i'll turn them facing the window. for the time being add black curtains and an electic screen, ceiling mount the projector. while having the computer here

and moving the dvd shelf to another room. finally adding a black curtain at the entrance of the room...

i really didn't want a completely black theater. More importantly i didn't want to paint the walls black. any other color but black walls....

as far as sound. i don't want the audio to leak therw the floor. since i dont have a door at that room anymore, i can't keep the sound in there. but i don't want to bother my mom who lives under me.

as far as seating , might add just one more recliner, into the mix.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so this is what i want to do with this theater.

It will be a cozy theater.

Here's what i'm thinking

Instead of having the chairs face the wall, i'll turn them facing the window. for the time being add black curtains and an electic screen

Nah, you don't want to do that my man. You've got a LOT of light coming in through those windows...and curtains won't block things 100%. It's one thing to have some residual light from the back of the room, but from behind the screen? No good; I'd go the other way.

CD

post #11 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Or who wants to ptich an idea how to turn the larger 12' by 16' living room into a theater

post #12 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

ok so what color do i go with? i used a brown thin blanket once to cover up the windows to see how much light i could keep out. you don't think if i used good black shaded then a black curtina i could keep the light out?

the flash was on

flash off

I can live with facing the other wall, it really won't matter, i can leave the dvd self in there, and also put the pc next to the night stand

and one more shot at the living room

AND WHAT COLOR SHOULD I PAINT THE WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It sounds like that you want more than:

1. You can afford
2. You are willing to do to make work
3. You have room for

First, take a deep breath and relax. The worst possible thing that you can do is to rush into something as big and complex as trying to make a HT room.

With only 12 feet and your unwillingness to properly treat the room, you might want to consider a big LCD TV rather than a projector. Projectors only work when there is little to no ambient light. Those 2 windows, even when covered by shades/curtains, will still let a LOT of light in.

Assuming those are the recliners that you want to use, your head will be at approximately 9.5 to 10 feet from the screen. Your ideal screen size would be anywhere from a 47 inch to 52 inch TV (and of course you can go bigger or smaller if you want).

First things first though, update that room! Paint the walls a darker color -- khaki for instance if you don't want to go TOO dark. Get some nice carpet in there. Run the wires under the baseboard (hiding them).

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you have to start somewhere. Just doing these things will make a BIG difference.

Good luck!

EDIT: same problems for that 12x16 foot room.

John
post #14 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

It sounds like that you want more than:

1. You can afford
2. You are willing to do to make work
3. You have room for

First, take a deep breath and relax. The worst possible thing that you can do is to rush into something as big and complex as trying to make a HT room.

With only 12 feet and your unwillingness to properly treat the room, you might want to consider a big LCD TV rather than a projector. Projectors only work when there is little to no ambient light. Those 2 windows, even when covered by shades/curtains, will still let a LOT of light in.

Assuming those are the recliners that you want to use, your head will be at approximately 9.5 to 10 feet from the screen. Your ideal screen size would be anywhere from a 47 inch to 52 inch TV (and of course you can go bigger or smaller if you want).

First things first though, update that room! Paint the walls a darker color -- khaki for instance if you don't want to go TOO dark. Get some nice carpet in there. Run the wires under the baseboard (hiding them).

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you have to start somewhere. Just doing these things will make a BIG difference.

Good luck!

EDIT: same problems for that 12x16 foot room.

no actually that's exactly what i want to hear. Not sure if you notice the date stamp on the photos. but i've just moved into this room. and the surround sound i'm using now is like 70watt.

I said eaier i haven't even started the project yet.... that's wahy i'm looking for advice now...

far as the carpet, i believe that's one of the first things i said i'm going down to a carpet company on wed to pick something out for the entire house.

and your actually wrong about the seating. for the actual seat to the wall, is roughly 10.5 feet... i seen a guy on youtube i'm trying to reach. who bought shades for his real theater, tuat knocked out the sunlight competely.

i'm actually willing to do the foot work. i'm just not willing to start doing anything until i know what my actual game plan is....

but thanks for giving it to me straight.... i like the honestly. but i'm willing to put the time and money in making it look good
post #15 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, well...if you really want it straight...you don't have a very good room to work with. The shape, the wide door opening on one wall, the windows...all make for true home theater challenges. One other issue is your living situation, and here's what I mean; if we were truly giving you advice about how to best turn that room into an HT, we'd probably suggest you build completely over those windows...or at the very least plug them up with plywood or something.

I think everyone is trying to tread lightly with suggestions like that though, because with only 2 rooms to live in, it seems unlikely that you'll want to turn one of them into a truly dedicated HT; dedicated meaning exactly that, it is a theater and nothing else. It sounds like what you're trying to do is a Family or Living room with a projector, and that's not always easy to do.

You mentioned in your PM how 65" TVs are like $3k, and with some PJs only being $1k it seems like a no-brainer. And in some cases I agree, but the downside if you will...and the reason EVERYONE doesn't get a PJ instead of a big TV, is a PJ needs certain things...like dark rooms and little light...to do their best. Whereas traditional TVs do not. Also, you mention needing to isolate the sound of the theater, and things like a Subwoofer's frequencies, from your Mom living downstairs? Dude, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but soundproof "padding" alone is not going to do the trick. There are guys in here who isolate the construction of the room, making sure 2 pieces of wood never touch each other...using whisper clips, and hat channels...and other exotic construction techniques...and then use fiberglass insulation, and/or Linacoutic insulation, etc...and still never achieve true sound isolation. So some thick carpet pad isn't going to protect your Mom from you're rocking out The Dark Knight.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the HT; we're all enthusiasts, and try to be encouraging of newbies. But JS10 is right; I'm not sure you can do what you want with what you have. And maybe a nice, big TV would be better? In any case, you might try looking around here some http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15, where people specialize in multi-purpose rooms, as you might get some better ideas of how to deal with challenges from rooms that aren't dedicated just for movie-watching.

CD

post #16 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

i seen this coming, over the last two months i've battled justing buying a 50'' and calling it a day, but i thought maybe i could make it work. but once again it seem plasma or lcd is what i''ll be shooting for....

i stil thinkl you guys rock. and i'll still post the finsh project once it's done.... thanks for the advise
post #17 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I had to see if i could knock the light out.... and i believe i did
just took a few pics. is this dark enough

i used materials around the house to test my theory out.

this is nothing more than a sheet.

two thin blankets

as you can see no backlight from the windows

all light in the room is coming from the rest of the house

in the room with sheet cracked open

just the blanket

and finally with pointing at the video wall

So here's my actually idea. in my bathroom i have a white shades, and i can clearly see sunlight pasing threw it. I took a bath towl and put it over the shade and most of the light was gone.

So if i replace my blinds withs black shades. amd use make thick black curtains out of double layer material i should be able to keep the light out for the room. and do the same for the entrance of the room as well
post #18 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What to say? Looks like a Home Theater to me.

CD

post #19 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

now if i just away to take care of the audio, i just need to keep at least 70% of the sound on this floor.... gotta keep researching.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
post #21 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think you have the possibility of a great gaming/daytime viewing parlor in one room and a dedicated ht across the hall. Integration is the key as you'd want to keep a consistent color style and a unifying theme. I start with a couple of things:

Is the carpet going to stay? If not, you'll want to coordinate the wall paint to the new flooring. On a side note, I would consider accenting the trim around the windows and doors. It looks horrible right now blended into the white walls.

Window treatment needs to block light more. Consider tinting the windows (like a car tint) and solid blinds augmented with thick curtains for a finished look.

Dedicated furniture such as bookcases and coffee tables. Though it appears you've settled as black for your sofas, its not necessary to have more black furniture. I'd consider dark woods and then accent black accent pieces (vases, plates, etc.) to integrate the sofas. Finally add artwork to carry the theme onto the walls. Movie posters are an easy choice but not the only option for wall art. See the walls of my theater as an example.

I don't know what stereo you have but the smaller room can easily handle 6.1. You could do 7.1 but seeing black or silver boxes all around the back can become too distracting. Inwalls should be a consideration if you decide something more than 5.1.

There's a ton more info but I covered some of the basics to get you on your way.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #22 of 22 Old 05-24-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Victor this is what i'm talking about!

See this is the type of input i'm looking for!

and yes the carpet is going..... I'm thinking about a dark tan carpet, and a flat dark beige or brown for the walls.

i figure since i have the black living room set the beige walls will have a nice effect.

go with black curtains, and blackout beige window shades.

i'm removing the glass table annd going with speaker stands. for the front. and i'll mount the center speaker under the screen.

finally removing the dvd shelf, leaving space to work on any other improvements i need to make
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page