So is there any thread to learn basic literacy in HT Construction? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was browsing about the dedicated HT forum, and my eyes kind of glazed over what I was looking at. I only recently started looking at architecture and such, after picking up a Dwell magazine (yay prefab / modernist?)

However, all of this stuff seems to be, well, MUCH more hands on than some of the more normal architectural things I read about, and I really have no idea what much of this forum is talking about. Is there any way I can learn, basically, the core of what makes designing a home theater wortwhile? All this talk about soffits and different types of drywall and weird insulations and glues, and ARGH. I need a simple, easy place to start. Maybe a glossary. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This forum is really in depth on the business of building home theaters. It can seem as though you are trying to take a drink from a fire hose for a while.

My advice...browse through the "Show Me Your Completed Theaters" sticky, and find a theater or two that you like and read the thread from start to finish. For some, this will be quite an endeavor. There is a lot of good info available.

If you could help us understand what you are attempting to accomplish, then we can help point you in the right direction. If you are just getting interested in building a theater, start reading...

I read THIS forum for nearly 3 years before I ever picked up a hammer to begin building. The time was well spent, as I was able to gain a pretty good understanding of the process and the major milestones involved.

You could also call Dennis E. and explain what you want to do. He's a fantastic HT designer and can really help you get the details right.

Good luck!

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #3 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

At this point I want more a foundational / theoretical knowledge... I have NO real interest in starting to build something yet any time soon... But I have recently picked up a bit of interest in home architecture, by reading some magazines on the topic, and I want to try and get some foundational knowledge... It seems the type of homes that I am most geeking out about look, well, REALLY loud and echoey!
post #4 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Welcome Gavinfoxx,

Is there a single thread that describes everything people do here for their home theaters? Nope, you're not going to find a quick fix. Many of us have been reading for weeks...months...literally years to pickup how-to information and get a good grasp on the subject. The possibilities are endless with what the people around here can come up with and execute.

For starters, let me point you to The Soundproofing Company for your initial baptism in Home Theater and sound isolation:
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/library/articles

Read everything there, then start working your way through some of the major build threads here on AVS. You'll actually start to understand what people are doing, and why.

That should get you started, good luck.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I read THIS forum for nearly 3 years before I ever picked up a hammer to begin building.

Still doing this...

I suggest looking at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043747

CJO did a really nice job of summarising a lot of stuff and whilst its not all applicable to each job/room its a great place to start.

Ted's website is essential too, as are the Show me threads and the what you'd do differently next time sticky. I'd also point you to:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/ and
http://www.renovateforum.com/index.php

These provide some good info for woodies or construction tips.

Another tip is to do a search for posts done by Dennis Erskine, Terry Montlick, Ted White, pepar, Weasel9992....I'm sure I've missed someone important, sorry. But I do this probably once a month, which is good because it takes me to other forums on AVS that I might miss....insights are priceless. Also generally if one of these guys is commenting on something all of the others who know something about that topic get into it as well. Whilst I'm on this point, a big thankyou to the above mentioned....and I haven't even started yet.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #6 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Fourth link in my sig is the best primer I have seen yet.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just for reference, I have been lurking here for 10 years.

If Loganed, I will finish my HT this summer...
post #8 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post

It seems the type of homes that I am most geeking out about look, well, REALLY loud and echoey!

Is Mid-Century Modern, Modern or Minimalist what you are referring to by chance? If so...

These are from THE_FORCE of this forum of his home in the UK. The sound absorption he uses is very subtle, but it's there. He is also on avforums.com out of the UK. Their "member's home cinema gallery" might have some spaces that will excite you.

I would also check out modernhometheater.com for some inspiration. I hope this helps.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan View Post

Is Mid-Century Modern, Modern or Minimalist what you are referring to by chance? If so...

I don't really know yet! I have to do more research! I do think that the less expensive prefab options that Dwell Magazine sometimes talks about (they have stuff for the middle class... once in a great while...) are more what I am starting to most geek out over. I haven't gotten the definitions of THAT stuff figured out either!

Really at this point I have mostly found a topic that interests me, and I want to keep it in the level of theory and what is possible.. I am poor and will be for a while, but that doesn't mean I can't learn, right?

Oh! Just so you know, this is a page that I have been MOSTLY geeking out over... the places linked to here:

http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/fablisthome.htm

And I am trying to figure out, "Okay, of the ones that happen to be big enough for a home theater, which of them is a potentially not hideously loud design in the first place? Which of these has a ROOM that would be good to work with? Of course some are more customizable than others, but are any of the more lego type ones [like flatpak], suitable?"

That sort of thing. I am trying to find out where my two architectural interests meet!
post #10 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 186
For basic skillset building there is great advice here for many of the trades needed to build your desired HT:
http://www.diychatroom.com/
post #11 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Still doing this...

I suggest looking at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043747

CJO did a really nice job of summarising a lot of stuff and whilst its not all applicable to each job/room its a great place to start.

Thanks- I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Another tip is to do a search for posts done by Dennis Erskine, Terry Montlick, Ted White, pepar, Weasel9992....I'm sure I've missed someone important, sorry. But I do this probably once a month, which is good because it takes me to other forums on AVS that I might miss....insights are priceless. Also generally if one of these guys is commenting on something all of the others who know something about that topic get into it as well. Whilst I'm on this point, a big thankyou to the above mentioned....and I haven't even started yet.

I do this as well and I think that their advice is invaluable.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #12 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post

Which of these has a ROOM that would be good to work with? Of course some are more customizable than others, but are any of the more lego type ones [like flatpak], suitable?"

I think you will find in your research of these "lego type" prefab homes that just about anything is possible. They are going to sit you down with their architect and together you will design the various boxes and number of boxes to fit your needs. The boxes will then be custom fabricated. If, in your case, you want a room that has no windows to use as a dedicated theater, I think they will be ok with it. Even, for asthetic reasons, if you just had a strip of windows up high you could easily block those from the inside. Of course there is always the possibility of putting it all on a foundation and having the theater in the basement.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that we all essentially start with an "echoey" room. It is then turned into a softer more acoustically pleasing space. I don't think the type of architecture you prefer has any bearing on it.

Someone could turn Phillip Johnson's Glass House into a dedicated theater if they really wanted to.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Someone could turn Phillip Johnson's Glass House into a dedicated theater if they really wanted to.

Really?? I would be worried about glass shattering From the sound pressure!! Hahaha... Though, part of what I mentioned was that the houses seemed to be loud in general. What about someone who somewhat wants the sense of openness that this style of architecture enjoys, but really hates loud, echoey rooms in general? I know you all focus on the theater rooms, but is there anything cheaply done in general in the design stage that makes the house no louder than necessary? Like one thing I have is a sensory integration issue where I dont like unexpected loud noises, or loud noises that are intrusive. In other words, I only like loud noises in a very controlled environment -- ie, a home theater that I am actively listening to for example. Does that make any sense?

Also! Another thing that made me think that sometimes these ways of making buildings might not be 100% compatible with the things in this forum is that, lots of times, they don't use traditional drywall / wood framing / wall designs, and I sort of wanted to see if I could figure out how view the alternative ways they put the structures together from an acoustic standpoint.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I think you will find in your research of these "lego type" prefab homes that just about anything is possible. They are going to sit you down with their architect and together you will design the various boxes and number of boxes to fit your needs. The boxes will then be custom fabricated. If, in your case, you want a room that has no windows to use as a dedicated theater, I think they will be ok with it. Even, for asthetic reasons, if you just had a strip of windows up high you could easily block those from the inside. Of course there is always the possibility of putting it all on a foundation and having the theater in the basement.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that we all essentially start with an "echoey" room. It is then turned into a softer more acoustically pleasing space. I don't think the type of architecture you prefer has any bearing on it.

Hey, I live near that house! It is in New Canaan, CT...

Come to think of it, after just looking at the website for that house, I live near almost all of his famous work. I pass a lot of it on Ponus Ridge Road between Pound Ridge and New Canaan...

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
post #15 of 16 Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I always liked Frank Lloyd Wright's quote about that house, “Do I take my hat
off or keep it on?”

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
post #16 of 16 Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

OP here...

Okay! So... As I got dismayed about the price of these Mid-Century Modern style prefab houses, I started geeking out about cheaper stuff that is also prefab! Namely, this:

http://www.alternativebuildings.com/

With the whole, "Under $20 a square foot, before shipping, for the basic building" price tag I'm thinking one to live in and one for the theater... how would YOU make one of these things an outside the house home theater? Is the shape that bad? Or should i be asking, "Do any shapes get acoustically worse for home theater"?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page