Lets think wires...what to where and how much? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's time to start running wires. Following general electric code I'm putting an outlet on any wall larger than 2" wide and an outlet at least every six feet. Two areas where I'm not sure about this are right next to the oil tank filter and bathroom walls(If the bathroom is a small half bath do I really need an outlet on every wall in the bathroom?)

Next up is speaker wire. I'm using my existing Onkyo receiver so I'm going to try and position speaker faceplates around the room to accommodate the 7.1 speaker setup. Should I run extra, any tips on layout for 7.1?

Next is cat5. I was planning to put at least one cat5 jack on each wall but with two wires run to it just in case I need them later. Is this too many,should I run extra to certain locations?

Should I bother running cable wire, I was planning on running two HDMI cords from the media closet to the TV location and that's it. Thoughts for future expansion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detzx View Post

It's time to start running wires. Following general electric code I'm putting an outlet on any wall larger than 2" wide and an outlet at least every six feet. Two areas where I'm not sure about this are right next to the oil tank filter and bathroom walls(If the bathroom is a small half bath do I really need an outlet on every wall in the bathroom?)

Typically a half bath should only need one 20-amp GFCI outlet (which means running 12-2, not 14-2), usually within 12" of the sink.

Edit: Oh, and, the 6' rule is just that any point needs to be within 6' of an outlet, not that you need an outlet every 6'.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm putting an outlet on any wall larger than 2" wide ...

Two inches is a rather small wall. I would ignore any two inch walls.

Quote:

... and an outlet at least every six feet.

NEC 210.52 requires outlets every twelve feet, not every six, for habitable rooms. The idea is that any point on the wall would be six feet from an outlet, so if your outlets are 12 feet apart, the maximum distance to either one of them would be right in the middle - six feet. If you moved closer to one outlet, you'd be 7 feet from one of the outlets, but only 5 feet from the other, so you would satisfy the six-foot rule.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #4 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHellWithUGA View Post

Typically a half bath should only need one 20-amp GFCI outlet (which means running 12-2, not 14-2), usually within 12" of the sink.

I think it is 36" (210.52(d))

Edit: Just to be more clear, there has to be at least one receptacle in the bathroom, and it has to be no more than 36" from the edge of the sink. You can have more than one receptacle, but you also have to have at least one that is less than 36" from the edge of the sink.

Brian
post #5 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

do I really need an outlet on every wall in the bathroom?

No. Bathrooms are not part of the receptacle placement rule.

Brian
post #6 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHellWithUGA View Post

Edit: Oh, and, the 6' rule is just that any point needs to be within 6' of an outlet, not that you need an outlet every 6'.

Ah, ok, now the 6' rule makes more sense. What about the 2' rule where there must be an outlet on any wall greater than 2'? What if I have a corner with a small wall and then it connects to a larger wall with out outlet and it is within the 6' rule do I still need an outlet on the 2' wall?

I'm assuming the 20-amp outlet does not have to be dedicated as long as it's GFCI protected?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the CEC and I am going to guess the NEC the every twelve foot rule for receptacles does not apply to hallways either you can be 4.5m (14.5') away from a receptacle.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepove View Post

In the CEC and I am going to guess the NEC the every twelve foot rule for receptacles does not apply to hallways either you can be 4.5m (14.5') away from a receptacle.

Sort of. You are correct, that hallways are not part of the 12 foot rule. But NEC only requires one outlet for a hallway greater than 10 feet. No matter how long the hallway is - one outlet. 60 foot hallway? One receptacle. Not that that would be a good idea. But only one is required.

Brian
post #9 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

So I finished up my wall tonight and I have my outlets in and my cat5 in. I'm now decided on where to string speaker wire, what height should I plan on mounting the speakers? This wall will have a 52" LCD in the middle, should I align the speakers with the top or middle of the tv?

post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What about the 2' rule where there must be an outlet on any wall greater than 2'? What if I have a corner with a small wall and then it connects to a larger wall with out outlet and it is within the 6' rule do I still need an outlet on the 2' wall?

You are confusing "wall space" with "wall." (And, since sleepove brought it up, I am assuming you are in the US.)

The code applies to wall spaces 24 inches or greater, and the wall space is contiguous around corners. If your wall is 18 inches long, then turns a corner and goes another 18 inches, that is a 36 inch wall space (not two 18 inch wall spaces). You would need an outlet there.

In your example, if you have a 24 inch wall, which turns a corner and goes several more feet, you only need to make sure the outlet is 4 feet from the corner (because four feet to the corner plus 2 feet for the short wall equals 6 feet of wall space, and any point on that wall space needs to be 6 feet or less from a receptacle).

Brian
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There are two thoughts on (I assume wall mounted based on your picture?) speaker placement. 1) center the speakers w/ regards to the TV 2) high enough that the tweeter is located at ear level when you are sitting in your viewing spot.

For surrounds, it is usually common to mount them so that they are higher than ear level by at least a foot or two, but I am sure you can find all sorts of opinions based on bi/dipole direct radiating, etc. Checkout dolby's website for some general speaker layout suggestions, including angles from the TV.

Also, if you are going to run the speaker wires in the wall, it's best to use CL2 rated wire and not "regular" speaker wire.

Also, if the notion of snaking new wires to the TV at a later date would be quite difficult, it would be good to just run a nice fat conduit to the TV location when you eventually need to replace the HDMI cables... ...after all, the replacement for HDMI is already starting to be added to products.

-Suntan
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page