My completed Theater with PICS! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 144 Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now you just need to have a Area Home Theater Meet to show off your theater to all the local home theater guys.....

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 144 Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Where did you get your carpet at in town? I've been having a tough time finding printed carpet. (Although I am trying to avoid Marion's because I had a bad experience with them last year. So please don't say "Marion's". )

post #93 of 144 Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycee View Post

Great room!! Your dimensions are somewhat similar to mine....now I have more ideas to consider

I noticed the furnace is right next to your theater....Does the sound from the furnace disturb movie wathcing?

Our theater will be next to our furnace as well.....it is loud when it kicks on.

What have you done to reduce/eliminate the noise coming from the furnace room?

Thanks

Yeah, wish I had known I was going to put a theater in the room when I built the house eight years ago. But the room was a freebie from the contractor to close the sale so I just went with what he did. Anyhow, we did some super heavy doors. One layer of drywall, one layer of 1" osb and one layer of sound board on the theater/fabric side. We then have mdf planks around the sides, and on top of the sliding doors to block the cracks there as well as one on the inside of the hvac closet for the bottom. At a quiet part of the movie you can hear when the furnace starts up but is pretty faint so has not been too much of an issue. Good luck!
GE84 likes this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #94 of 144 Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post

Where did you get your carpet at in town? I've been having a tough time finding printed carpet. (Although I am trying to avoid Marion's because I had a bad experience with them last year. So please don't say "Marion's". )

Funny! After several failures with various carpet companies I went to Marion's. Carpet Karl was even there. Doesn't he have anything better to do? I was actually going to get the carpet from them and I described the wacky theater install I would need. They even grabbed an installer to come up with a realistic install estimate. I still was leery so they said they would come out and measure without a deposit. Good thing as their install fee miraculously tripled and carpet qty went way up as well. So I moved on.

Floor Factors does Masland carpets. They were real good to work with and installed right on schedule. Their installer even did some under the table carpet stretching for me at a fraction of the price I would have had to pay separate so was really happy with the whole thing. 18 months later and no issue with the carpet or seams.

Couristan also has some real nice theater type carpet. Good Luck!
GE84 likes this.

post #95 of 144 Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

...their install fee miraculously tripled and carpet qty went way up as well. So I moved on.

Your experience was similar to mine, although it sounds like yours was worse.

Quote:

Floor Factors does Masland carpets. They were real good to work with and installed right on schedule.

Cool. I'll check them out.

Thank you!

post #96 of 144 Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is an updated pic on my IB project. Four 18" drivers will be inserted into the screen wall with two on each side. The storage room behind will act as a 700 cubic foot subwoofer. I had to adjust the screen wall to accomodate the drivers and here are the before and after pics. The wife was concerned I would screw up the look of the screen wall (all for some silly old subs )

As you can see the impact is very minimal and easy to over look.

I scooted the posters in a bit to create room for the drivers. The grills cover the part of the drivers that would be exposed in the room - about 10" wide. The grills look like side masking. You would never know what lies behind, until you hear/feel it. When I get the final two drivers installed I will post a pic showing the drivers.

How it looked before, note the lack of grills to the side of the posters.

With the grill covers over the subs. Not too much visual impact on the room. But what they hide is oh so impactful.
GE84 likes this.

post #97 of 144 Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Oh infinite baffle, how do I love thee!
post #98 of 144 Old 08-16-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

Oh infinite baffle, how do I love thee!

I checked out your thread. Nice! My IB drivers are FI as well.
GE84 likes this.

post #99 of 144 Old 08-17-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found a picture with the grills off. You can get a better idea how the drivers are situated in the wall. The right side has the two 18" drivers installed. They look small in the picture but when you stand next to them you get a greater appreciation of their size.

The left side is just waiting for the next two drivers to arrive. I have MDF scraps to plug the hole until then.

GE84 likes this.

post #100 of 144 Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i'm so jealous
post #101 of 144 Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Love the way it came out , Did it meet up with your expentations?
Quote:

I wanted to post my finished pictures as many here have helped me in the process building this room. The advice and countless rooms to draw inspiration from have been key. Must say, I have had more fun planning, and building this room, than I ever could have imagined.

This is a single 13'x23'x9' room in the basement. It is hooked up to the central air but temperature stays between 66 and 70 degrees year round in this room without any help so I have the vents double closed all the time. There is an additional vent in the ductwork that can be opened or closed to help with sound proofing.

Facing the screen wall

Rear of the room

The plan was to diy a fixed screen but the high power screen fabric is a little touchy with that so I opted for an electric screen instead - which had a very high approval factor from the wife and my small daughters.

Facing the "screen wall" directly as you enter the room

Looking right over the top of the projector

Facing the seating

The rear of the room has a bar, with seating for three, the media niche, equipment rack and treadmill closet. The room was originally used as a grunge workout room and we still use the treadmill regularly. The TV on the wall makes an easy way to get the news in the morning while using the treadmill.

To the left of the treadmill is a lighted area where the AVR, Shaker amp, PS3 and HD Fios box interface with the wall jacks for the speaker wire and HDMI. Real easy to get back there and mess with the cables.

116" wide high power screen that is masked to a 2.4 aspect at 50" high 126" diag
or I can have a 57"x 101 116" diag 1.78 image if I lower the screen to the max.
This gives the same viewing area for scope AND 16x9 content

16x9 image

Here are some additional construction photos

The rack area primed

Screen wall framed

Enjoy!

post #102 of 144 Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM

this looks awesome, its my favorite out of all the HT builds ive seen on this site, its closest to the image i had in my head of what id like mine to look like,

you actually did all this yourself??

if you dont mind, how much did it cost(roughly)? excluding your components: projector, screen, amps, speakers, .... basicly just the room; electrical, lighting, acoustical treatment...

i ask, cause i dont have the ability to do any of this myself, but i will be paying a home theater design service to do it for me if i can find one.

my space is approx the size as yours, and im wondering if its doable on my budget

thanks

chad
post #103 of 144 Old 09-14-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post

this looks awesome, its my favorite out of all the HT builds ive seen on this site, its closest to the image i had in my head of what id like mine to look like,

you actually did all this yourself??

if you dont mind, how much did it cost(roughly)? excluding your components: projector, screen, amps, speakers, .... basicly just the room; electrical, lighting, acoustical treatment...

i ask, cause i dont have the ability to do any of this myself, but i will be paying a home theater design service to do it for me if i can find one.

my space is approx the size as yours, and im wondering if its doable on my budget

thanks

chad

The thing I love about theater rooms is how different they are. We are all trying to do the same thing but there are so many different ways, and levels, to skin the cat here. How various pros would do your room could be different from what I did to mine. I had an exceptionally small budget in mind when I started and kept a spreadsheet when researching the room to track all the items I would need. My target ended up at $3k for all the basic components of the room plus the riser and stage. At completion I ended up $1500 over mostly due to carpet, fabric and oc703. It is all so individual I am not sure how much this will really help you? Just on the carpet you could save $1000+ if you go basic carpet and no special install for riser and stage. So $500ish for the carpet install and you are a grand + under my set up. Or you could spend thousands more - just on the carpet. Every component of the build has a low end and a high end and what you do along the way creates infinite chances to differentiate from another build or budget.

I would establish your budget and needs on a spreadsheet and see exactly what your pros will do for you. Take as many quotes as you can. We use the room alot to entertain or just for the family and myself - has been a great addition and resource to the household. Really has been worth all the work and time we put into it. Good luck!
GE84 likes this.

post #104 of 144 Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 PM

What are the seating distances for each row? I'll have a similar ~26' starting room length and will probably build out a false screen wall from the front and end up with similar overall finished dimensions. Also looking to do the 2 rows + bar deal.

Love the screen and awesome tray lighting...very cool effect!
post #105 of 144 Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

The thing I love about theater rooms is how different they are. We are all trying to do the same thing but there are so many different ways, and levels, to skin the cat here. How various pros would do your room could be different from what I did to mine. I had an exceptionally small budget in mind when I started and kept a spreadsheet when researching the room to track all the items I would need. My target ended up at $3k for all the basic components of the room plus the riser and stage. At completion I ended up $1500 over mostly due to carpet, fabric and oc703. It is all so individual I am not sure how much this will really help you? Just on the carpet you could save $1000+ if you go basic carpet and no special install for riser and stage. So $500ish for the carpet install and you are a grand + under my set up. Or you could spend thousands more - just on the carpet. Every component of the build has a low end and a high end and what you do along the way creates infinite chances to differentiate from another build or budget.

I would establish your budget and needs on a spreadsheet and see exactly what your pros will do for you. Take as many quotes as you can. We use the room alot to entertain or just for the family and myself - has been a great addition and resource to the household. Really has been worth all the work and time we put into it. Good luck!

holy mackeral! are you kidding?

i was expecting you to say something like 20-$25,000!

so to clarify, , that obvoiusly doesnt include the seating does it. (i meant for that to be included when i said just the "room")

and... are you saying $4500, from the pic where the room was just framework ,to the finished room?

thats hard to believe.

it just doesnt look like you went cheap. the lighting on the ceiling looks great. well, everything looks great.

i was honestly budgeting for around $30,000.

and was wondering if that would even be enough. now i "know" it can definatly be done for that. i wasnt HOPING to spend 30,000, thats just what i was expecting.

obviously, ill be adding/factoring the cost of the someone else designing, building and labour, etc, but i mean, even if i figure $10,000 for design, and building, double what you spent and add those 2 together, im still $10,000 under what i was expecting to lay out!!

this is great. thanks for the informative answer, it helps me alot.
post #106 of 144 Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

What are the seating distances for each row? I'll have a similar ~26' starting room length and will probably build out a false screen wall from the front and end up with similar overall finished dimensions. Also looking to do the 2 rows + bar deal.

Love the screen and awesome tray lighting...very cool effect!

A little under 12' and 17.5'. Are you doing a scope screen?
GE84 likes this.

post #107 of 144 Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The sub project is done! Eh, sort of. I will add eq and some tweaking but the four drivers are in and sound great!

No subs in the room

Ah, there they are.

The fronts are right below the screen. Here is a shot with the center channel exposed
GE84 likes this.

post #108 of 144 Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Hey, Cabo...I don't think I've ever complimented you on your fabulous theater. So, consider this me complimenting you on your fabulous theater.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #109 of 144 Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Well thank you very much. I saw your post on the HTTYD disc review thread. We are doing a movie party thing for httyd as well. Six adults, five young girls, four 18 inch subs and a couple of beers.
GE84 likes this.

post #110 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Very nice indeed! The table area at the back was a nice touch. Have Fun!!

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

post #111 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaStar View Post

Very nice indeed! The table area at the back was a nice touch. Have Fun!!

Thanks. It gets used quite a bit. Not as comfortable as sitting in a recliner but good for over flow seating and close to the fridge...
GE84 likes this.

post #112 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

^ Well thank you very much. I saw your post on the HTTYD disc review thread. We are doing a movie party thing for httyd as well. Six adults, five young girls, four 18 inch subs and a couple of beers.

I don't have as many subs as you do, but we'll give you a run on the beers.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #113 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:

A little under 12' and 17.5'. Are you doing a scope screen?

Planning to do with a 2.35 screen I think. Thus far not planning to do a curved screen, lens, etc. at this point.

I was thinking I'd have to push my front row closer to the screen that you have, but seems like the distance between rows you have is smaller than what I've seen recommended before. Any issues with leg room in the second row? I'd love to push my front row back a bit from what I have planned now if it is doable without sacrificing the second row too much.
post #114 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

Planning to do with a 2.35 screen I think. Thus far not planning to do a curved screen, lens, etc. at this point.

I was thinking I'd have to push my front row closer to the screen that you have, but seems like the distance between rows you have is smaller than what I've seen recommended before. Any issues with leg room in the second row? I'd love to push my front row back a bit from what I have planned now if it is doable without sacrificing the second row too much.

It is a game of compromises when you have multiple rows. When both rows are fully reclined the 2nd row peoples feet are pretty close to the 1st row heads. But not enough of an issue to see moving the second row back or 1st row forward. YMMV though.
GE84 likes this.

post #115 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Ha!

post #116 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I got twice the subs... but they're half the size (15") and a case of Red Tail.
post #117 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I got twice the subs... but they're half the size (15") and a case of Red Tail.

Ah, subs and beers. Two of my favorite subjects.

I have heard of Red Tail amber ale and a lager beer, but never had either. I have some Fat Tires in the theater fridge now . Sometimes movie nights turn into a tasting party pending what folks bring. Adds to the fun of it.
GE84 likes this.

post #118 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Ah, subs and beers. Two of my favorite subjects.

I have heard of Red Tail amber ale and a lager beer, but never had either. I have some Fat Tires in the theater fridge now . Sometimes movie nights turn into a tasting party pending what folks bring. Adds to the fun of it.

Fat Tire's great too. My current fav is Death and Taxes. You can stand a spoon up in it. Well... almost I should try to find it retail. I never think of it.

So, what I found with my IB woofer is the house structure gets noisy. It's good quality recent construction, but there are lots of creaks and small rattles from all around the theater when the woofers crank. Do you notice that? I have 8 AE IB15's, roughly equivalent to your 4 18's.
post #119 of 144 Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Fat Tire's great too. My current fav is Death and Taxes. You can stand a spoon up in it. Well... almost I should try to find it retail. I never think of it.

So, what I found with my IB woofer is the house structure gets noisy. It's good quality recent construction, but there are lots of creaks and small rattles from all around the theater when the woofers crank. Do you notice that? I have 8 AE IB15's, roughly equivalent to your 4 18's.

Oh yeah. There is so much kinetic force coming off these. The theater has some decent sound isolation going for it but the backwave takes a beating when the pups get going. I put on War of the World and went outside to see what noise was making it outside from the back wave. The back wave is a storage room below grade but does have some vents to the outside that I plugged. Very happy that little sound was making it out but I could hear the creakings of the room getting punished by the subs.
GE84 likes this.

post #120 of 144 Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
wicked theater, wish i had that kind of cash.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page