Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 144 Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Cabo, looks great! I just realized how close our color schemes are. I've got a dark blue ceiling with rope light soffit and I'm not quite getting the effect I was after. Did you have to play with yours any to get it right? any tips? I'm looking for a smoother cast.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 144 Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Cabo, looks great! I just realized how close our color schemes are. I've got a dark blue ceiling with rope light soffit and I'm not quite getting the effect I was after. Did you have to play with yours any to get it right? any tips? I'm looking for a smoother cast.

Thought I'd check put your thread to see how your soffits are but I could not find them in that huge mess of a thread you have. Just kiddin. Very nice room. Love your subs.

Actually, I could not find them so not sure what might be different compared to mine? Mine are pretty basic with drywall painted flat black. The white led rope I use makes it look blue. There is bracing to move the rope up to near the top of the soffit's inner wall and the rope sits about 4" from the outer wall of the soffit. Hope this helps? Either that or it is the layer of dust diffusing the light...
GE84 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 144 Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Made a few changes to the room. Swapped out the existing side acoustic material and replaced it with 2" oc703. I meant to use this in the original construction but I could not find a good source so I punted and went with a compromise solution. Nothing beats the oc703. But this may be kind of hard to see. What you can see is that I am psychotic. I cut my granite slab off the bar. Then raised the bar 16" and re-attached the granite. I built a mini hush box under the granite for the pj and it is a little more discreet in the room without losing it's retro reflective efficiency with my high power screen. The view from the bar is better too. Has a command central feel to it now.

Old view
wizzack and GE84 like this.

post #124 of 144 Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes. definitely liking the new look.
I always wish I can be that hands-on in building frames, cutting slabs and etc... Your theatre looks absolutely stunning and with that low cost, had to be one of the best price/performance category!
Sometimes, I wonder if any of you DIY would want be willing to do some contract work for a small fee

BTW, I like your idea of keeping the same image size for both 1.78 and 2.35 format. Given I do not see a A-lens in your setup, I assume you will be doing the zoom method.. Now, given your setup is not a CIH, do you have to constantly change the vertical lens shift?
post #125 of 144 Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Made a few changes to the room. Swapped out the existing side acoustic material and replaced it with 2" oc703. I meant to use this in the original construction but I could not find a good source so I punted and went with a compromise solution. Nothing beats the oc703. But this may be kind of hard to see. What you can see is that I am psychotic. I cut my granite slab off the bar. Then raised the bar 16" and re-attached the granite. I built a mini hush box under the granite for the pj and it is a little more discreet in the room without losing it's retro reflective efficiency with my high power screen. The view from the bar is better too. Has a command central feel to it now.

Old view

Did you do any before and after room measuring to see if there was any benefit to the 703 upgrade?

post #126 of 144 Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Your theater looks great - I cant believe I had not come across yours before - I thought I had searched every thread with an IB for sure. I debated doing an IB array like yours - I really like the look. I noticed your post where you said your house creaks when you crank up the subs - Is there anything that you would have done differently in construction to eliminate this - I'm hoping OSB and double drywall with green glue in between each layer will not squeak.

post #127 of 144 Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmove View Post

Did you do any before and after room measuring to see if there was any benefit to the 703 upgrade?

Very good question. Unfortunately, I don't.

Other than what I hear, I can see a drastic difference in how Auddysey sets up my channel levels as these are bumped up 2-3 db.

post #128 of 144 Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Yes. definitely liking the new look.
I always wish I can be that hands-on in building frames, cutting slabs and etc... Your theatre looks absolutely stunning and with that low cost, had to be one of the best price/performance category!
Sometimes, I wonder if any of you DIY would want be willing to do some contract work for a small fee

BTW, I like your idea of keeping the same image size for both 1.78 and 2.35 format. Given I do not see a A-lens in your setup, I assume you will be doing the zoom method.. Now, given your setup is not a CIH, do you have to constantly change the vertical lens shift?

Thanks!

Yeah, no lens so I zoom. The RS10 pj has powered zoom and focus. I have hot keyed these into the Harmony RF 890 remote so it is very easy to change aspect and focus. I can get right next to the screen to adjust focus and not have to point the remote at the pj. That said, would be nice if it had memory.
GE84 likes this.

post #129 of 144 Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Your theater looks great - I cant believe I had not come across yours before - I thought I had searched every thread with an IB for sure. I debated doing an IB array like yours - I really like the look. I noticed your post where you said your house creaks when you crank up the subs - Is there anything that you would have done differently in construction to eliminate this - I'm hoping OSB and double drywall with green glue in between each layer will not squeak.

I tried to do a manifold, but it boiled down that the only spot I had was too close to the side walls so the driver would be right next to a wall - the array was the only option. I have not improved the back wave at all yet. It is still open framing. One of these days I will get around to finishing it with OSB, DD and GG. Fortunately, the back wave is in an isolated part of the house and takes a really special ULF scene to impact the main living areas - or my wife would have made it a priority for me.
GE84 likes this.

post #130 of 144 Old 12-21-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have not posted for a while but have still been busy working on the room. Seems like you are never truly done - if you don't want to be.

One of the things I just added was fabric posters to the side walls. My wife likes the fabric look better than paper posters and there is zero reflection off them. The frames are velvet wrapped as well so really disappear during a movie.

Thanks again to this thread for clueing me in to these fabric posters.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ical+movie]DYI Movie Poster Acoustical Panels[/url]

[URL="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20815913#post20815913

GE84 likes this.

post #131 of 144 Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Very slick, I really like the look of those posters. Well done.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #132 of 144 Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thor and Puss in Boots....? :P
post #133 of 144 Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

Thor and Puss in Boots....? :P

I know, classics.

Actually, Thor is the god of thunder which is appropriate for a theater with an IB set up.

The posters are more for my kids and as they grow older maybe the posters will change? The posters are really pretty cheap and easy to change out. Depending how you format your file the posters are $14-19 each landed. So pretty painless to swap them out on a whim or as something new comes out.
GE84 likes this.

post #134 of 144 Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
haha fair enough. Sad what the kids grow up with these days in comparison to me in the 80s. Of course, rose colored glasses and such. But still, Labyrinth!
post #135 of 144 Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

haha fair enough. Sad what the kids grow up with these days in comparison to me in the 80s. Of course, rose colored glasses and such. But still, Labyrinth!

I used to love the Labyrinth! Now, I'm afraid to watch it again for fear it will ruin my childhood. I mean, what's up with David Bowie's hair..... Oh wait, I remember. The 80's are when White Rain could print money!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #136 of 144 Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Great project documentation! Enjoyed viewing your project photos and captions.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

post #137 of 144 Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 240
When I first saw your theater pics, I thought you had Altec Lansing model 19s. Looks great!

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #138 of 144 Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Beautiful. Building the PJ into the bar is a classy touch. Love the framed out posters too. This HT must look and sound amazing. Well done sir!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #139 of 144 Old 09-19-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Beautiful. Building the PJ into the bar is a classy touch. Love the framed out posters too. This HT must look and sound amazing. Well done sir!

Thanks Wizz. From one poster afficianado to another.biggrin.gif
GE84 likes this.

post #140 of 144 Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Thanks Wizz. From one poster afficianado to another.biggrin.gif

Wow............we are close neighbors.........................

Would be interesting to hear your IB set up?

My Build Threads

post #141 of 144 Old 09-27-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 302
GoCaboNow.........................check your pm's smile.gif

My Build Threads

post #142 of 144 Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I like your fabric posters... Gives me a idea for in wall surround speakers with a fabric poster front...

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #143 of 144 Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 213
GoCaboNow - what a great looking home theatre!
I see you used what looks like these for your front mains, four pi kit, which look approx 24" tall judging on a 15" woofer.

With them sitting on your stage another 8" above floor, those horn tweeter then 30"-32" relative to ground floor level, did you angle them upward slightly to point at sitting ear level 1st/2nd row?
Or do those horn characteristics have wider up/down desperation?

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #144 of 144 Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

GoCaboNow - what a great looking home theatre!
I see you used what looks like these for your front mains, four pi kit, which look approx 24" tall judging on a 15" woofer.

With them sitting on your stage another 8" above floor, those horn tweeter then 30"-32" relative to ground floor level, did you angle them upward slightly to point at sitting ear level 1st/2nd row?
Or do those horn characteristics have wider up/down desperation?

Eh, guess I am not subscribed to my own thread anymore?

MT, if you see this, yes they are 4pi design. Hard to tell from the pic but I have them angled up about an inch off the floor. Not sure if it really makes that much of a difference as I had them flat for a week or so and it wasn't a relevation. smile.gif

It's been a few years since I built them, IIRC, there is some dispersion benefit to the horn design and I'm sure it is easily found on Wayne Parnham's site or in the DIY thread. All three rows can see the horn, and they have a better penetration into the room than before when I ran basic MTM's. (Aperion 6C's for LCR)
GE84 likes this.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page