Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 144 Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227

I wanted to post my finished pictures as many here have helped me in the process building this room. The advice and countless rooms to draw inspiration from have been key. Must say, I have had more fun planning, and building this room, than I ever could have imagined.

This is a single 13'x23'x9' room in the basement. It is hooked up to the central air but temperature stays between 66 and 70 degrees year round in this room without any help so I have the vents double closed all the time. There is an additional vent in the ductwork that can be opened or closed to help with sound proofing.

Equipment
LCR - 4pi with JBL woofer and B@C DE250 CD
Side Surrounds - Athena WS100 x4
Backs - Athena WS60 x2
IB 4 18" Fi in 780 Cubic Feet

Emotiva XPA-100's x 3 325 watts @6ohms each
Behringer EP4000

Athena AS-P6000 12" x2
Denon 2809ci AVR
PS3
Harmony 890 RF
JVC RS10
133" Electric HighPower 2.8 gain screen

2" OC703 on the sidewalls covered with black AT Acoustimac fabric
Guilford of Maine Clarent accent covering the walls above the OC703
OC703 super chunk and tube, sand, bass traps in the front corners
Riser framing left "open" on two sides for additional bass trapping

Posters on the side walls are fabric and dark in color. No reflection and disappear during movie.
The poster frames are covered in black velvet - ZERO reflections in the room.

Facing the screen wall

Rear of the room

NEW updated pics

LCR's before integration into the room

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

Facing the "screen wall" directly as you enter the room

Looking right over the top of the projector

Facing the seating

The rear of the room has a bar, with seating for three, the media niche, equipment rack and treadmill closet. The room was originally used as a grunge workout room and we still use the treadmill regularly. The TV on the wall makes an easy way to get the news in the morning while using the treadmill.

To the left of the treadmill is a lighted area where the AVR, Shaker amp, PS3 and HD Fios box interface with the wall jacks for the speaker wire and HDMI. Real easy to get back there and mess with the cables.

116" wide high power screen that is masked to a 2.4 aspect at 50" high 126" diag
or I can have a 57"x 101 116" diag 1.78 image if I lower the screen to the max.
This gives the same viewing area for scope AND 16x9 content

16x9 image

Here are some additional construction photos

The rack area primed

Screen wall framed

Panels off, showing the 4 18's drivers for the IB

Fabric posters for the side wall - no reflections

Beginning stages of 4pi LCR project - 15" woofers, horn loaded and high sensitivity

Enjoy!

ocelittle and GE84 like this.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks great,how long did it take you, start to finish if you don't mind me asking?

Verum postulo res.
post #3 of 144 Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

damn nice set up you got there!
post #4 of 144 Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Very nice looking. Congrats!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Awesome. Great job.

Must love home theaters!!
post #6 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Looks great, and welcome to the treadmill in the theater club. Mine is behind a double door closet on the side of my theater.
post #7 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Didn't even see the treadmill till you mentioned it Big

Very nice GoCaboNow,

I don't think I have seen anyone with a setup like this! Very creative in setting up a Drop down to facilitate different aspect ratios on a false wall.
Very, very cool.
post #8 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well done!
post #9 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

Looks great,how long did it take you, start to finish if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all. 4 months of initial planning, including two months of cleanup. The room had been a junk catch all for years. I also had to tear some osb sheeting off the wall as the contracor used some warped studs and the wall really bowed. Actual framing, electrical, soundproofing, drywall and basic finish took about 7 months.
GE84 likes this.

post #10 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Looks great, and welcome to the treadmill in the theater club. Mine is behind a double door closet on the side of my theater.

Good to hear! Seems like I know many folks that are into fitness and they are expecting me to become a big blob now that the room is done. You know, watching movie after movie pounding down the candy, popcorn and beer - err I mean soft drinks. The treadmill gets lots of action. More than the theater...
GE84 likes this.

post #11 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Creative use of the space. I like the hidden treadmill. Have you considered going with a more regal curtain like a classic red or black velvet?
post #12 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 AM

very impressive

Xbox live: Mighty GLI
PS3: Mighty-Gli
post #13 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 06:48 AM

I really like the way this turned out. I'm sure we'd love to get more info and pics now that you are done!

In particular I really love the recessed poster nooks. Any pictures of this or the rest of your construction process?

Another thing I noticed was your soffits - they don't look like painted drywall - they look to have a really smooth finish? How did you achieve that?

What's your room...12x17 ish?
post #14 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Didn't even see the treadmill till you mentioned it Big

Very nice GoCaboNow,

I don't think I have seen anyone with a setup like this! Very creative in setting up a Drop down to facilitate different aspect ratios on a false wall.
Very, very cool.

Thanks! I am toying with the idea of a star ceiling as next winters project and will be sure to check your thread closer on that as well. The wife is a little leary as the ceiling really did come out nice. She gets nervous when I start to tinker...
GE84 likes this.

post #15 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdholmes View Post

I really like the way this turned out. I'm sure we'd love to get more info and pics now that you are done!

In particular I really love the recessed poster nooks. Any pictures of this or the rest of your construction process?

Another thing I noticed was your soffits - they don't look like painted drywall - they look to have a really smooth finish? How did you achieve that?

What's your room...12x17 ish?

Thanks for the comments. I will dig some pics up and post later as I cannot access photobucket at work...

The soffits are drywall except for the face of the light tray which is a row of
2x6's. I did not texture the soffits or ceiling and worked like a dog to get the drywall seams as smooth as possible.
Original room dimensions were 13.5' x 26.5'. Finished is 13'2" x 23' as the end of the room I framed to hold the treadmill closet and rack and framed out the niche side as it was a bare concrete wall.
GE84 likes this.

post #16 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Creative use of the space. I like the hidden treadmill. Have you considered going with a more regal curtain like a classic red or black velvet?

Why do you want to add more work for me?

The screen is on a manual wall switch and, down the road, I thought it would be cool to turn that into a switch a Harmony could control. Could then open the drapes via remote, then drop the screen. Or something like that...
GE84 likes this.

post #17 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 AM

Great - look forward to the pics and more info!

I saved the pictures to a memory card for future reference.

Is all your audio on sound bars?
post #18 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW, that looks SPECTACULAR! I think the room actually feels even bigger when you finished it. You definitely made good use of your space. The poster niche is one of those "damn why didn't I think of it" ideas. You can hardly go wrong with red/black theme, but man it looks amazing, especially with the high vaulted ceiling you got. I still need to add crown moulding and LED rope light to the ceiling, not anytime soon, but I will definitely take a few pointers from your design.

IMPRESSIVE WORK! Enjoy your theater, I know it must feel good.

P.S: Carpet looks great too!
post #19 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

WOW, that looks SPECTACULAR! I think the room actually feels even bigger when you finished it. You definitely made good use of your space. The poster niche is one of those "damn why didn't I think of it" ideas. You can hardly go wrong with red/black theme, but man it looks amazing, especially with the high vaulted ceiling you got. I still need to add crown moulding and LED rope light to the ceiling, not anytime soon, but I will definitely take a few pointers from your design.

IMPRESSIVE WORK! Enjoy your theater, I know it must feel good.

P.S: Carpet looks great too!

Thanks Sam. I remember first speaking with you when the room was just a twinkle in my eye. I wish I had a little more room width like you have. I had to compromise to get the 4 seats and the pj pedestal in the room. The room really called for just 3 seats wide but I really wanted the two love seats in the back row and had to butt the 2nd row right up to the wall. I am glad I did it as the two love seats have proved invaluable for couples nights and seating 4 girls each for big parties.
GE84 likes this.

post #20 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Very nice work. Love the colors and details with the posters.

What kind of seating is that?

Would you provide more information and details on your screen wall and false wall build? Any pics?

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #21 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great - look forward to the pics and more info!

I saved the pictures to a memory card for future reference.

Is all your audio on sound bars?

Pretty much. The fronts, center and rear are 41" long speaker bar style speakers. 9 drivers or passive resisters each. The fronts and center are housed below the screen. Two sets of side surrounds using similar style speakers (one set for each reclining row) just a little shorter with less passive resisters so they do not put out "as much" bass. Funny thing is, as much money as I put into the screen and projector and I get more comments from guests on the audio.
GE84 likes this.

post #22 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

Very nice work. Love the colors and details with the posters.

What kind of seating is that?

Would you provide more information and details on your screen wall and false wall build? Any pics?

Thanks!

That is the infamous Costco Berkline seating. Costco sold them in 3 packs and I had a buddy that needed 5 chairs and I needed 7 so when costco threw on the $300 rebate per 3 pack we bit and purchased together. The seats really were not what I had been targeting, but the price was insanely low...

I will throw what I have on the screenwall later. it is not a false wall though. The center and fronts are housed in the black area right below the screen and sit on a tray so they sit as high as possible. The way the room was origianlly framed the lower part of the screenwall is recessed a bit from the upper. I thought about framing it out before I did drywall but decided I could use the space so the speakers would not stick out so much. The side area houses sand filled tube bass traps. There is sound board right on the screen wall to deaden the wall.
GE84 likes this.

post #23 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a reason why you didnt' ceiling mount your JVC PJ? considering how much the PJ costs I would feel a little paranoid about leaving it in a desktop set up where someone could accicentally knock it off. Plus if it's ceiling mounted then it would avoid having anyone block the image if walking by or waving. You seem to have a pretty good 8-9ft clearance in your theater, so the ceiling mount would be very ideal.
post #24 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Pretty much. The fronts, center and rear are 41" long speaker bar style speakers. 9 drivers or passive resisters each. The fronts and center are housed below the screen. Two sets of side surrounds using similar style speakers (one set for each reclining row) just a little shorter with less passive resisters so they do not put out "as much" bass. Funny thing is, as much money as I put into the screen and projector and I get more comments from guests on the audio.

Did you expect to get this much attention after posting?

So what influenced the decision on the bar style speakers? Was it more cost effective? I like the look - I'd be interested (among all the other things you now have to show us) knowing more about the setup and cost.
post #25 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Is there a reason why you didnt' ceiling mount your JVC PJ? considering how much it cost, I would personally feel a little paranoid about leaving it in a desktop set up. Plus if it's ceiling mounted then it would avoid having anyone block the image if walking by or waving. You seem to have a pretty good 8-9ft clearance in your theater, so the ceiling mount would be very ideal.

Oh, heck yeah. Ceiling mount would have helped me in numerous places. Buuut, after testing many different screens/materials I really preferred the high power screen. Unfortunately this is a retro reflective screen so to get the gain benefits the PJ has to be as close to eye level as possible as the gain is shot directly back to the level of the pj. Guests seem to enjoy having to duck when they cross in front if they have side wall seating and need to leave. And, the maturity level of my audience is painfully apparent when the movie ends and everyone rushes to do their hand puppets...

The biggest issue was just giving up the floor space for the pj pedestal as that 12" I could have turned into 18" and given me a side aisle on the right side of the room. I was concerned about the lack of side aisle initially, but after 3 months plus it really has turned into a non issue. It is funny the things we stress over and obsess on during the build process and they turn out to be not a factor at all. This was one of those.
GE84 likes this.

post #26 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you expect to get this much attention after posting?

So what influenced the decision on the bar style speakers? Was it more cost effective? I like the look - I'd be interested (among all the other things you now have to show us) knowing more about the setup and cost.

No it's fun. This kind of discussion helped me see avenues to take with my room when I was in the design stage. The speakers really are, like many things in this room, a compromise. The speakers were purchased for my then, kick a$$, family room home theater complete with 70" rear projection tv. Circa 2005. Since I got the big bulky TV (even though it was in a tv niche so it did not stick out in the room) the wife really wanted a small lifestyle speaker. Like a B O S E. After much looking these bar style speakers passed the WAF and put out the best sound at the modest budget I had. Actually, it was when I realised I could repurpose these in the dedicated basement HT it freed up alot of budget to apply to the room and make the project much more cost effective. I had assumed I would upgrade the speakers in the room down the road but honestly I am really happy with them. I may just upgrade the sub and call it good.
GE84 likes this.

post #27 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Oh, heck yeah. Ceiling mount would have helped me in numerous places. Buuut, after testing many different screens/materials I really preferred the high power screen. Unfortunately this is a retro reflective screen so to get the gain benefits the PJ has to be as close to eye level as possible as the gain is shot directly back to the level of the pj. Guests seem to enjoy having to duck when they cross in front if they have side wall seating and need to leave. And, the maturity level of my audience is painfully apparent when the movie ends and everyone rushes to do their hand puppets...

The biggest issue was just giving up the floor space for the pj pedestal as that 12" I could have turned into 18" and given me a side aisle on the right side of the room. I was concerned about the lack of side aisle initially, but after 3 months plus it really has turned into a non issue. It is funny the things we stress over and obsess on during the build process and they turn out to be not a factor at all. This was one of those.

I agree with your last statement, every little thing that initially bugs yo during the build process becomes very negligible once you sleep on it for a couple of days, there are at least about 5 minor imperfections in my theater build that I want to go back and address....the longer I take to address them, the more insignificant and engligible they become. People in geeneral are always very picky during their planning and build phases, but once you're about 99.9% finished, you suddenly get that I don't give a rat's ass if my first idea didn't work or if something doesn't look 100% perfect, even if no one else will notice it but you.

As far as ceiling mount and post movie hand puppeteering, it's quite common in my theater too, even the majority of my guests are over the age of 25, hehe. It doesn't help much that I have a big area in the center of my theater right above the front row where the ceiling is only 7 foot high thanks, but no thanks, to all the permanent HVAC runs made by the builder to save a buck.
post #28 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Very Nice Build. I like the recessed Poster Frames.

With your name, I was expecting to see pictures of Sammy Hagar and plenty of empty Cabo Wabo Tequila Bottles! =-)

Mark
post #29 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santora View Post

Very Nice Build. I like the recessed Poster Frames.

With your name, I was expecting to see pictures of Sammy Hagar and plenty of empty Cabo Wabo Tequila Bottles! =-)

Mark

The theme of the theater may change when the kids get older. Although some nights it feels like cabo Wabo already in there.

post #30 of 144 Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome theater dude. I love the little details and the not so little ones too..Great job.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page