3 Years In The Making - Dedicated Theater Construction Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 121 Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and finally, all 8 berkline 13175 motorized recliners installed and working. man, these things are sweet!

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Automation Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 09-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Liked: 11
Nice. Got mine sitting in their boxes in the garage. Can't wait to get em out, together, and sat it.

"Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."
Ronnie
XBL Tag: HKK Lawdog2k

post #93 of 121 Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

Great choice on the sconces. Very classy and they go quite well with the overall decor.

The only problem is that now you've got me looking at lighting fixtures I probably can't afford.
post #94 of 121 Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hahaha, its true. i loved those sconces the minute i saw them in person over a year ago. since then, i have visited every single lighting shop within 100 miles of my home and none of the cheaper alternatives did it for me. after 1 year of looking, i just went and haggled the shop who i had bought stuff from over the years for a really great price. i ended up getting them for $300 a piece, regularly $580. basically half off, but still cost me $1500 in lights.

so yeah, for the last 2 months i have been cursing with myself thinking i spent too much even though i knew i would love them. now that i have them installed and dim them during movies (like the picture you posted above), they are the best choice i have made in my room. the pictures are decent, but don't represent the true beauty of the lighting accent they provide. pretty easy to install too. i did them all in about 1 hr. you should be able to get them online for less than $300 plus they are more expensive here in canada so i think you probably could get them for a much better deal than i did.

post #95 of 121 Old 09-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I love that carpet. I wish I had the budget for it. You made an excellent pick with your sconces.

(Currently on Pause)
post #96 of 121 Old 09-04-2010, 07:40 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

decided to clean the theater a little today and post a few pics. im currently in the process of painting the ceiling trim so don't mind the half-painted/masked portions at the rear of the theater.

FRONT WALL

SIDE

REAR (with flash)

REAR (without flash)

Need I say anymore what a fantastic room.

Frank

post #97 of 121 Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for all the compliments. i just watched my first movie in it tonight (iron man bd), and it was a treat. i did use that same disc for testing the setup the last few days, but today i watched it from start to finish. after running audyssey and a few tweaks, i found a very nice sonic balance for the room.

i had also previously decided to build (DIY) subwoofer, but since i only had 1 or 2 spots available for placement, it was a tough decision as to what i would build. so, in an attempt to see what was available commercially, i stopped by my local svs distributor to listen to some different subs, and they recommended i use a pb12 plus. since they didn't have anything setup but offer a 45 day in home trial period, i decided to take one and see what type of response i would get. so after moving it around (in the constricted space i had), i finally found a spot that had tremendous impact. so it looks like this sub will stay and i will venture away from DIY for the time being. the gain isn't even half way and the room is pressurized more than your ears can handle at reference levels!

only problem now, is that i think i need to buy an eq for this thing since my pj lens is shaking when huge bass scenes happen. its a common thing with the jvc pj's as the motorized lens is very fragile to movement. the actual pj barely vibrates so i know that its pressure from room gain that is causing it.

any advice?

post #98 of 121 Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

thanks for all the compliments. i just watched my first movie in it tonight (iron man bd), and it was a treat. i did use that same disc for testing the setup the last few days, but today i watched it from start to finish. after running audyssey and a few tweaks, i found a very nice sonic balance for the room.

i had also previously decided to build (DIY) subwoofer, but since i only had 1 or 2 spots available for placement, it was a tough decision as to what i would build. so, in an attempt to see what was available commercially, i stopped by my local svs distributor to listen to some different subs, and they recommended i use a pb12 plus. since they didn't have anything setup but offer a 45 day in home trial period, i decided to take one and see what type of response i would get. so after moving it around (in the constricted space i had), i finally found a spot that had tremendous impact. so it looks like this sub will stay and i will venture away from DIY for the time being. the gain isn't even half way and the room is pressurized more than your ears can handle at reference levels!

only problem now, is that i think i need to buy an eq for this thing since my pj lens is shaking when huge bass scenes happen. its a common thing with the jvc pj's as the motorized lens is very fragile to movement. the actual pj barely vibrates so i know that its pressure from room gain that is causing it.

any advice?

My RS2 lens vibrates and I still need to try the trick of using the packing foam around the lens. Not sure is your RS20(?) came with one or if the newer JVCs have this issue but that may be the easiest and first place to start.
post #99 of 121 Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

unfortunately, my rs35 never came with the foam ring so i will need to hunt around the house to see if i can find some black foam to stuff in it. the problem with that "solution" arises if in the future i zoom, lens shift, etc. and forget to remove it. it will most likely damage the motorized mechanis, and then im stuck. i would like to see if it would be possible to eq that exact spot in my room and make it a null to avoid any bass energy. still seeing if that is possible, otherwise i may have no choice but to do the foam fix. annoying such a $$$ pj still has this issue dating back form the rs1 days.

post #100 of 121 Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well after equing my sub a little bit and running audyssey xt a few times, it seems that vibration has been lessed quite a bit. only when the volume is set at +10db from reference is there pj lens shake. im okay with that as reference is usually what i listen to and i haven't encountered the shake yet at that level!

hopefully i won't run into any crazy movies in the future that will have me doing sleepless nights how to fix this issue!!

in any case, some more baby steps. i finished painting the ceiling trim completely so im happy about that. i also noticed that i could barely hear the pj fan running in complete silence in the room so i build a few OC703 panels with fabric and placed them on each wall of the pj box. the noise is even less now so im happy with that small improvement. also, i painted the front stage pot lights black and installed some magnets in the ceiling to help keep them attached during bass heavy scenes. so far so good.

im hoping to have the front 2 acoustic panels covered and the trim painted by the weekend to finish the wall treatment portion of the HT as well as start making the screen frame and covered in velvet. pics to come.

post #101 of 121 Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anthony, where in "Canada" are you? Would love to hear/see that system!

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #102 of 121 Old 11-26-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Great job, Anthony. Not quite sure how I missed your thread until today. Hope you enjoy it.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #103 of 121 Old 11-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Very nice really like your setup. You'll love those Klipsch rears. For in-walls, or on-wall for that matter they create a very convincing surround field. The finished product should be something special.

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

post #104 of 121 Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM

I've been reading through this entire thread. Amazing room!! If you dont mind, now that you have your seats all in, can you tell me what the distance is between your back wall and the back of the rear row of seats, as well as the spacing between rows. Front row to the screen?

I hope to emulate a similar layout, and I'm very interested in the Klipsch Ultra 2 setup. Please let us know your impressions of it in a room that size once you have it all balanced out!

Cheers
post #105 of 121 Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Looks great, I'm new at this, so "why the independent ceiling?"
post #106 of 121 Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaofDoom View Post

I've been reading through this entire thread. Amazing room!! If you dont mind, now that you have your seats all in, can you tell me what the distance is between your back wall and the back of the rear row of seats, as well as the spacing between rows. Front row to the screen?

I hope to emulate a similar layout, and I'm very interested in the Klipsch Ultra 2 setup. Please let us know your impressions of it in a room that size once you have it all balanced out!

Cheers

thanks for the compliments. the rear chairs are about 12" away from the wall which is just about right when fully reclined. the riser depth currently is 6' but i find it not enough as when the rear seats are fully reclined and the fronts are slightly reclined they are practically touching. next time, i will make the rear rise 7' deep and that should be enough clearance from the first row. the first row is 12' away from the screen, i would have preferred if it was 13-14' but no biggie as i usually like the back row anyway. the klipsch's are great speakers for the money. again, if i were to do it all over i would probably look at more expensive speakers like jtr or even seaton internally amplified. the midbass on the klipsch's are nothing to brag about whereas the others i mentioned put out some serious midbass punch.

post #107 of 121 Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukFilm View Post

Looks great, I'm new at this, so "why the independent ceiling?"

independant allows the room to be "more soundproof" in layman's terms but in reality it allows vibrations to not transfer to the upper floor as well as not allowing footsteps from above to be heard when in the theater. decoupling all walls is the main way to help reduce sound transmission in a theater room.

post #108 of 121 Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Anthony, where in "Canada" are you? Would love to hear/see that system!

toronto!

post #109 of 121 Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well, i can say for certain that its the WORST idea to setup your system before finishing your room!

i have been enjoying my theater immensely at the expense of leaving behind minor things to complete it. anyways, here are some further progress pics of what i've been doing these last few months.

firstly, i built my own masking system from several DIY threads found here on AVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...633842&page=25
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1251657
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=941076

seems simple and straightforward, but requires a lot of tweaking and cursing to get it just right. for now, im happy and haven't touched a thing for probably about 2 months. its working about 98% perfect. next time i will most likely just buy one from carada or smx as i can't be bothered with the time and patience it took to build. anyways, here are some pics of its mechanics and final product.

WITHOUT FLASH

CLOSEUP

2.70 AR

2.35 AR

post #110 of 121 Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

also setup the speaker spot lights behing the screen which are a really nice detail. i have it programmed as a macro in my remote that whenever a movie starts, it dims the lights to the "movie" scene which basically slowly dims everything off except the speaker spots for 5 seconds, then fades those too as the movie starts. everyone who comes over loves it and it puts a nice smile on my face.

heres the detail pics of how it looks:

its very hard to capture the right balance for a real-life photo of the effect. these pictures are not the same way it appears, but you get the idea.

post #111 of 121 Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

also had the pj isf calibrated a few months back by Michael Osadciw from The Highest Fidelity (http://www.thehighestfidelity.com/). great guy to deal with, very informative and experience. he is local in the toronto/GTA area and i would highly recommend him to anyone looking to have this service completed. here are some pics of him in action:

post #112 of 121 Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

in regards to controlling the theater, im using a URC mx-980 remote paired with a msc-400 base station. the components are a mixture of ir and rs 232. here are some pics of the remote and the GUI i designed:

MAIN PAGE

DEVICE PAGE

BLURAY PAGE

SERVER PAGE

TV/PVR PAGE

PVR FAVORITES PAGE

MASKING PAGE

LIGHTS SCENE PAGE

LIGHTS PAGE

AVR PAGE

PJ PAGE

PLEASE WAIT PAGE

SHUTDOWN PAGES

post #113 of 121 Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 PM

The attention to detail here is incredible. Excellent work!
post #114 of 121 Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Amazing colors!

My Basement Home Theater

post #115 of 121 Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got an erection going through this thread! Man, if I only had the time and money. Not to mention a room to do this in and the skill.
post #116 of 121 Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post

I just got an erection going through this thread! Man, if I only had the time and money. Not to mention a room to do this in and the skill.

Dood... TMI!
post #117 of 121 Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hahahaha, thats the funniest post yet in this thread

post #118 of 121 Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow, 2 years since my last post lol. well i did indeed finish my theater about 6 months ago. the last item that took me a year to do was the speaker grill frames. the actual work only took a couple of days, but who feels like finishing their theater when its 98% complete tongue.gif

in any case, thought i would post some more pics of its completed state. these are the speaker grills made of a single piece of 1/2" mdf with edges routered. then wrapped in GOM. simple and easy. to hold the grills to the column, i used some speaker grill plugs (male end on grill, female end on column). epoxy sets them in for life and easy to remove when needed.

post #119 of 121 Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

and some more room views.

Masking at 2.70

Bat Cave

post #120 of 121 Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Very nice!

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page