1080p HD Demo Disc – Design and Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1069 Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 261
What about audio? Is this going to be DTS core(Full bitrate DTS) or HD Audio?

I think torrents is the best way to go about this, I know there are lots of people with fast connections that would help including me. I like Megaupload and Mediafire the best, a lot faster for non-paid users. I think we should start at a 4.37gb DVD, they're dirt cheap and lots of people have 50-100 packs already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1069 Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirbal View Post

I understand the quasi legal nature on the endeavour, but we dont necessarily need to publish the rapidshare/megaupload links. They can very well be exchanged via PM/email just like its currently being done for FTP for the demo DVD's.

Doh ! ... you're quite correct there, that's just so easy to still keep it all 'private'.

Quote:

The advantage with rapid/mega is that one poor guy/ftp server wouldnt have to bear the brunt of all the download requests that are going to pour in, plus its atleast a little bit more "safer" than putting it on anyone's private FTP server.

Don't I know that with the current HT demo disks with my site here in Australia. The torrent idea in principle was good, but in reality very few people really kept the torrents running after they got what they wanted.

Quote:

For best results, the DVD should be split up in multiple parts and uploaded to multiple file sharing sites, where each part on each site is identical and the links can be exchanged. That way, free users can simulate multiple downloads by simultaneously downloading say part1.rar from site A, part2.rar from site B, part3.rar from Site C, etc.

I'm not sure if that's the best way though, unless I've misinterpreted what you said.
post #93 of 1069 Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I think we should start at a 4.37gb DVD, they're dirt cheap and lots of people have 50-100 packs already.

Agreed.

If we're going multi layer, then let's skip the DVD9 level, and go straight to Blu Ray disks.

DVD5, BD, and 'downloadable' are all options to consider.
post #94 of 1069 Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What about audio? Is this going to be DTS core(Full bitrate DTS) or HD Audio?

The idea is to keep the audio in it's prestine form. There is a little "hoop-jumping" to make this happen with the AVCHD format but it appears to be doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt2 View Post

Agreed.
If we're going multi layer, then let's skip the DVD9 level, and go straight to Blu Ray disks.

DVD5, BD, and 'downloadable' are all options to consider.

DVD5 = ~20-30min of video (roughly 6-10 3min clips)
DVD9 = ~40-60min of video (roughly 13-20 3min clips)

The DVD5 will not have much room for demo material (as stated in an earlier post). However, if we created a specific DVD5 disc for each category, it could work with the smaller DVD5 disc.

IMO, if we go with an all-in-one disc, DVD9 is the entry point. Believe me, I'm all about a smaller download and less expensive media. I just don't see another way.

Portability is king for this 1st pass. This will allow everyone to use this disc whether they have a HTPC, PS3, Media Server or a stand-alone BR player. I cannot tell you how many times I used the old HT demo DVDs when I was testing out speakers, subwoofers and projectors (at that time there were only 2 of them LOL!). Every time I pulled out one of the demo discs at a B&M store, the sales guy's mouth dropped and asked where I got it.

With that said -- I'll go with whatever the majority wants (and what the DVD authors will tolerate )
post #95 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Demo Update….

Okay everyone, I have some good and bad news to report.

First the good news. We’re making some nice headway on the design of the demo DVD. Below is a prototype of that design. A more refined version will be revealed over the weekend – so stay tuned. The idea is you can scroll to the DVD cover you want and the info above changes based on that selection. The plan it to have a 5-8 second clip above that highlights the movie clip you’ve selected. Also added to the right is the audio format, screen format and the movie rating. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Now for the bad news (for some of you). I’ve made an executive decision to make this 1st disc an All-In-One disc. This forces us to use the larger DVD9 format. Also, so we have room for more clips per category, we’re reducing the categories from 5 to 3. The categories will most likely be: LFE, Surround and Beauty/Music/Other. Based on 3min clips, we should be able to fit about 15 demos on this DVD – roughly 5 per category. We’ll have a main title page that will allow you to select the category (along with a Play All option). A refined version of this page will be revealed over the weekend as well.

Will there be larger versions in the future? Absolutely! However, I wanted to get something out that nearly everyone could burn for only a few bucks and could play it in nearly every BR player out there.

Well, there it is. I’m excited about the prospect of this disc and we’ll keep moving forward. ETA you ask? Hmm, not sure but I feel pretty confident that we’ll have it done in time for the holidays. So keep making suggestions on the “best” clips we can put on this disc. Without those, we don't have a disc
post #96 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Lookin good! Can't wait for it to be ready!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #97 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Loving the design, looks awesome...Great concept with the clip preview. Your really knocking it out of the park.

I'm a newb at this so excuse my ignorance. Why would it be a problem for it to be DVD9 other than some were preferring blu ray. Just not sure if I'm missing something on how to eventually make this disc. Thanks.
post #98 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Loving the design, looks awesome...Great concept with the clip preview. Your really knocking it out of the park.

I'm a newb at this so excuse my ignorance. Why would it be a problem for it to be DVD9 other than some were preferring blu ray. Just not sure if I'm missing something on how to eventually make this disc. Thanks.

Some wanted a DVD5 format for lower size downloads. I think a DVD9 will be ok though.
post #99 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
post #100 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 53
Looking good. Who is making the menu? I'm curious the software of choice for the menu designer...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #101 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Looking good. Who is making the menu? I'm curious the software of choice for the menu designer...

I'm going to take a stab at it and will be posting the rough draft stills this weekend - Adobe CS4 (PhotoShop, After Effects, Encore, and Premier Pro).

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #102 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Demo Update.

Okay everyone, I have some good and bad news to report.

First the good news. We're making some nice headway on the design of the demo DVD. Below is a prototype of that design. A more refined version will be revealed over the weekend - so stay tuned. The idea is you can scroll to the DVD cover you want and the info above changes based on that selection. The plan it to have a 5-8 second clip above that highlights the movie clip you've selected. Also added to the right is the audio format, screen format and the movie rating. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Now for the bad news (for some of you). I've made an executive decision to make this 1st disc an All-In-One disc. This forces us to use the larger DVD9 format. Also, so we have room for more clips per category, we're reducing the categories from 5 to 3. The categories will most likely be: LFE, Surround and Beauty/Music/Other. Based on 3min clips, we should be able to fit about 15 demos on this DVD - roughly 5 per category. We'll have a main title page that will allow you to select the category (along with a Play All option). A refined version of this page will be revealed over the weekend as well.

Will there be larger versions in the future? Absolutely! However, I wanted to get something out that nearly everyone could burn for only a few bucks and could play it in nearly every BR player out there.

Well, there it is. I'm excited about the prospect of this disc and we'll keep moving forward. ETA you ask? Hmm, not sure but I feel pretty confident that we'll have it done in time for the holidays. So keep making suggestions on the best clips we can put on this disc. Without those, we don't have a disc

Fabulous start - this looks great!!
I agree on the decisions (good compromises)

If I had to select only two choices for source material; would have to come from Master and Commander and one of the Transformer flix

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #103 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

I'm going to take a stab at it and will be posting the rough draft stills this weekend - Adobe CS4 (PhotoShop, After Effects, Encore, and Premier Pro).

Cool. As of now, I stick in DVD Architect for authoring. (I use Vegas Pro and DVDA comes along for the ride). I'm a big fan of After Effects, just wish I was better at it! The guys here might get bored of the details, but I'd love to hear your thoughts of using Encore for this...

post #104 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Cool. As of now, I stick in DVD Architect for authoring. (I use Vegas Pro and DVDA comes along for the ride). I'm a big fan of After Effects, just wish I was better at it! The guys here might get bored of the details, but I'd love to hear your thoughts of using Encore for this...

Well if you're working in Vegas you should be doing this...right? Walk in the park for you...no? I told Steve the more potential options the better.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #105 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've been trying to think of something a bit different from the normal clips, and came up with three for the Visual category.

One is from Curse of the Golden Flower. The colors in the palace are almost magical - that is absolutely beautiful on screen.

Two is from the documentary Winged Migration. Might sound boring, but I used that disc as a demo when it was plain old standard DVD. No booms, just amazing shots of birds. I know how that sounds.... I really do! Master and Commander fight, it is not! We need that category to show off the pretty side of the disc.

Three would be some of the concert of Chris Botti (as mentioned) or perhaps The Police. Those are my fav two concert Blus at the moment.

For the surround sound, Hellboy II has some impressive soundstage. The fight in the cogs is intense.

I'll try to pull the chapters and times of these over the weekend...

post #106 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Well if you're working in Vegas you should be doing this...right? Walk in the park for you...no? I told Steve the more potential options the better.

I'll do what I can, but I have nothing to rip Blus. I'm also not sure how DVD Architect deals with the HD audio formats. I've not done anything in that outside of standard Dolby Digital. I don't know if DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD, etc... are supported at this time.

No park walking for me!

post #107 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Monsters Inc.: 00:29:45 - 00:31:06
The scene where the girls starts crying. No one touches little Mikey!

This MUST go on there!
post #108 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Steve, looks like a great start. Nice clean menu with preview clips to boot! Looking forward to this and I hope the DTS-MA will remain intact.
post #109 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The menu looks perfect to me.

The only problem with the DVD9 is distribution. It was hard enough with the DVD5's. If there isn't an ftp site it is going to be painful. I seeded many of the SD demos for awhile but some users were taking almost a week to get one SD disc. Eventually I think most gave up and my traffic disappeared.

Still I'll try to get my hands on this demo... looking forward to it!
post #110 of 1069 Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedracerII View Post

The only problem with the DVD9 is distribution. It was hard enough with the DVD5's. If there isn't an ftp site it is going to be painful. I seeded many of the SD demos for awhile but some users were taking almost a week to get one SD disc. Eventually I think most gave up and my traffic disappeared.

Yep, that was my concern, getting the first iso distributed is going to be a pain for everyone, as the size is getting rather large to the point that people grab what they want, seed the torrent (if we do it via torrents) for all of about 5 minutes, then turn off the torrent client.

If we could get people to really leave the torrent seeding indefinately, then we might be in with a bit of a chance, but I can't see that happening though.
post #111 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 AM

don't forget the famous battle scene in Master and Commander.
post #112 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Monsters Inc.: 00:29:45 - 00:31:06
The scene where the girls starts crying. No one touches little Mikey!

This MUST go on there!

Is this the scene where the radio falls on top of Mike's head, she starts to laugh and all the lights get very bright then burn out. Yes, good short LFE scene (if that's the one I'm thinking of). Please confirm.
post #113 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt2 View Post

Yep, that was my concern, getting the first iso distributed is going to be a pain for everyone, as the size is getting rather large to the point that people grab what they want, seed the torrent (if we do it via torrents) for all of about 5 minutes, then turn off the torrent client.

If we could get people to really leave the torrent seeding indefinitely, then we might be in with a bit of a chance, but I can't see that happening though.

Completely understandable and a concern of mine as well. I like the idea ebirbal had about breaking it up into pieces and hosting it on multiple download sites. I've not used them much in the past but if we kept the links private, it might work. I'll also host via FTP to our other FTP hosters to help get the disc out as quickly as possible.

If it turns out the way I'm imaging, it will be well worth the time it takes to download this DVD.

REMEMBER - We need your input on movies with chapter times and best category match (LFE, Surround, Visual/Music/Other). If its an oldie but goodie from the old SD demos (but now in HD), that is fine. I plan to re-use some of the great ones on the new disc.
post #114 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

LFE
Iron Man: 00:15:11-00:15:48 (:37), DD 5.1, PG-13
- Desc: Jericho
- Contributor: fiveohno
- Votes: 1

Explosions
Race to Witch Mountain: 23:27-27:30 (4:03), DTS, PG
- Desc: Alien fight, Explosions and getting away
- Contributor: oman321
- Notes: Might fit in Surround and LFE categories as well

Transformers: 00:38:58-00:44:39 (5:41), DD 5.1, PG-13
- Desc: Marines are battling Scorponok in the small Qatar village and try to contact the pentagon for air support. Includes gunfire, explosions, planes and a bit of humor.
- Contributor: maxposure

Surround
Iron Man: 00:02:19-00:03:53 (1:34), DD 5.1, PG-13
- Desc: Taken Hostage
- Notes: Might fit in LFE category as well

Knowing: 00:38:55-00:41:11 (3:33), DTS-HD, PG-13
- Desc: Plane crash

Knowing: 01:00:52-01:02:26 (1:34), DTS-HD, PG-13
- Desc: Subway crash scene

Quantum of Solace: 0:00:35 to 00:01:37(1:02), DTS-HD 5.1, PG-13
- Desc: Car chase scene
- Contributor: gthrift
- Votes: 2

Race to Witch Mountain: 00:13:58-00:17:00 (3:58), DTS, PG
- Desc: Ship crash landing and helicopters

Race to Witch Mountain: 00:30:35-00:32:00 (1:25), DTS, PG
- Desc: Alien Chase & Train Crash

Race to Witch Mountain: 1:24:00-1:28:26 (3:26), DTS, PG
- Desc: Escape in ship

Beauty

Other

I have the above-listed movies on BluRay and can help however you want.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #115 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Completely understandable and a concern of mine as well. I like the idea ebirbal had about breaking it up into pieces and hosting it on multiple download sites. I've not used them much in the past but if we kept the links private, it might work. I'll also host via FTP to our other FTP hosters to help get the disc out as quickly as possible.

Would it work well to set up an FTP site for 10 or so people to download it if they would all agree to seed it as a torrent for a certain period of time?

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #116 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

I have the above-listed movies on BluRay and can help however you want.

Great. I'll be in touch when we're ready to move into that phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Would it work well to set up an FTP site for 10 or so people to download it if they would all agree to seed it as a torrent for a certain period of time?

Kind of my plan. Hopefully we can smooth out the distribution a bit that way.
post #117 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

As to some demo suggestions

Bolt opening sequence I hear is great

5th Element- Dallas fights the aliens in the casino

Star Trek 1st contact- federation vs borg cube

Spiderman 2- subway sequence

Firefly- space battle sequence

Hellboy 2- the bedtime story

The Aviator- test flight sequence

Live Free or Die Hard - Freeway sequence or subway sequence

Air Force 1- AF1 takeover/landing attempt sequence

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #118 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd View Post

As to some demo suggestions

Bolt opening sequence I hear is great

5th Element- Dallas fights the aliens in the casino

Star Trek 1st contact- federation vs borg cube

Spiderman 2- subway sequence

Firefly- space battle sequence

Hellboy 2- the bedtime story

The Aviator- test flight sequence

Live Free or Die Hard - Freeway sequence or subway sequence

Air Force 1- AF1 takeover/landing attempt sequence

Victor

Great ideas Victor. Do you think you could give some detailed time stamps (start and end times) and the best category for each?
post #119 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this the scene where the radio falls on top of Mike's head, she starts to laugh and all the lights get very bright then burn out. Yes, good short LFE scene (if that's the one I'm thinking of). Please confirm.

That's the one.

The Bolt intro is amazing but its 10min long...

I AM Legend= 01:20:40 - 00:01:21:45
"They followed us home." He starts setting off bombs in front of his house.
post #120 of 1069 Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaweather View Post

don't forget the famous battle scene in Master and Commander.

Planned on that one! Can you site any time stamps for this scene?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page