I have been slacking on the updates but not slacking on the work!
Since I last posted I painted the ceiling "volcano" which I borrowed from Swithey. It is dark enough to appear almost black with the lights low. It really feels like the night sky. Note that Volcano is a Valspar color but I really dislike Valspar paint. I painted with it only one time and I was literally about to vomit from the smell. I just cannot tolerate it. Luckily the Depot can mix up the Valspar colors in Behr which is a much better paint anyway (They have it in the computer already just ask for it by name). Just one coat of flat volcano and there is zero splotchyness.
The next step was tedious. I was being the good husband and not just tearing out the drywall on the front wall thereby exposing the room to an attic with blown insulation + unbearable heat. Instead, I climbed into the attic from below and moved the "thermashield" from the old wall to the new. Then moved the insulation leaving only a single stud bay for myself to exit which was then sealed up before leaving the attic. This took quite a while because the builder had helpfully run a small AC duct straight through the center of my false screen area. I had to disconnect it and reconnect it on the back side of the load bearing wall. Luckily it is all flex duct and quite long runs so there was enough slack to move it to the new location without needing to splice in any additional duct. After all this was done, in the scorching heat, I returned to the theater and tore out the drywall to expose an already sealed and insulated wall!
Funny story, while working in the attic my 3 year old Natalie comes into the "workshop" (that's what she calls the theater) and is disturbed to hear me working away but she can't find me. When I told her I was "behind the wall" she was very perplexed and asked "well how did you get in there?". As if the house had somehow swallowed me up.
Here's the pics.
You can see the giant 18" flex duct return and the relocated small duct on the left edge. You can also see where a confused framer framed what looks to be a door opening on the left side. Perhaps this house plan has some use for that if the optional media room was not here. One unfortunate thing that cannot easily be fixed is that a large bundle of alarm wires goes through this area. I really don't want to splice a couple feet of wire into each one just to move them so I'll just wrap them up in some black velvet and try to forget they are in there.
After getting the thermashield off the wall I was able to get a look at it and determined that it is not load bearing. The only load on it is a portion of the 3 ft section of sloped ceiling that connects to it so I was free to adjust the studs. Since I had already attached my tray to this wall I didn't want to totally remove it so I just went with double studs every 32".
The drywall is all up in that picture also. This means that after doing the tape, mud, sand, mud, sand, thing again I will be basically done with the "construction" phase and moving into the "carpentry" phase. It is much more fun to do paneling and columns than drywall.
For those reading this looking to gain nuggets of wisdom I'll repeat the same nuggets as everyone else that I ignored when starting my build.
- Drywall is heavy, very heavy
- Drywall is a mess
- You will be much happier if you just pay someone to do your drywall.
One more bit of progress is that I've selected all my colors.
The wood panel frames, columns and molding will all be done in clear alder (has a few less knots than knotty alder). Stain will be mahogany.
The panels themselves are actually linacoustic/oc703 with onyx GOM
Above the panels is crystal Blue GOM with Silver Papier accents.