I've started the "Upstairs Theater" - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 613 Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Neat idea. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Oh God, what have I done!

It's little hidey hole is snug, just a bit too snug that is. It has about 1/2 of clearance between the projector and the ceiling. Between the published dimensions of the projector being a little "optimistic" and me making the shelf a bit more "robust" I have lost the airgap for the hot air return I wanted. I have a backup plan though and I'll hope to have it all taken care of this evening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #333 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh and my wife has already threatened to bury the projector in the back yard if she catches me watching stuff rather than working.....

post #334 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Call her bluff....she won't dare take it out after watching a movie! Kick back, put your feet up, grab a bowl of popcorn. You've earned it!

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #335 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Nice

Don't forget the hot air exits the front of the Panny.

|
|
|

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #336 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

Oh God, what have I done!

The way that thing performs, I'd say you done good!

Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #337 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Nice

Don't forget the hot air exits the front of the Panny.

Yea, I'm going to have to modify the soffit panel that covers the projector area to allow more airflow. I have a 4" duct plumbed into the HVAC return just over the projector that should remove most of the heat but if I don't allow it to get out of the projector to begin with it won't do much at all.

post #338 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post

The way that thing performs, I'd say you done good!

Tom

We watched the beginning of the 6th Harry Potter movie and when the flash bulbs went off I swear I was seeing spots for a minute or two. It's so bright that when I was seting it up I could get close to the screen and I could actually see through it a little.

post #339 of 613 Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Call her bluff....she won't dare take it out after watching a movie! Kick back, put your feet up, grab a bowl of popcorn. You've earned it!

I've got nothing to sit on yet.....

post #340 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Time to fix the projector shelf.

Here is what I started with. The 4" duct in the ceiling is an HVAC return to draw the hot air out of the projector area. What I need is more height between the top of the projector and the ceiling.

Since there is a roof truss running over the projector shelf I can't just raise the ceiling. What I did was to make an extension ring out of 2x6 lumber and then notch it out for the roof truss. This ring will sit on top of the existing ceiling drywall and over the truss. I will then cover the top of it with drywall (the extension ring is sitting on it) and then attach the return duct to the drywall.

The finished product. The truss that crosses the opening is at least an inch above the projector and there is a two inch gap between the top of the truss member and the new ceiling in the extension. The 4" return pulls enough air to keep the heat from the projector from spilling out into the room. The next task is to rework the soffit trim panel to allow more air flow. More to come soon.

post #341 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you planning to keep the HVAC fan on constantly while the projector is running? I would assume if it cycled off even for a few minutes you would have heat issues?

post #342 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you planning to keep the HVAC fan on constantly while the projector is running? I would assume if it cycled off even for a few minutes you would have heat issues?

I really don't think there would be an issues if the HVAC fan was off since the front and the back of the shelf area will be open all the time. I'm going to assume that 99% of the time that the theater is going to be used I will have the HVAC fan set to "on" just to help keep the air moving in the room though. I may even make one of the trigger outputs from the projector turn the HVAC fan on anything the projector is on.

post #343 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do you have any concerns over the projector duct pulling extra dust in the room through the enclosure due to the airflow? I think I just got my first "blob" last week

Floyd

post #344 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Good point Floyd. You'll be pulling air right through, and the projector will be partially a room filter. I wonder?

post #345 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm just thinking that the proj will be directly "in the flow" and it would be better to locate the duct in front of the box vs. inside it. And, as Moggie pointed out, proj heat exhaust is from the front of the proj anyway. Makes me nervous but I have a nervous disorder already anyway.

Floyd

post #346 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

Do you have any concerns over the projector duct pulling extra dust in the room through the enclosure due to the airflow? I think I just got my first "blob" last week

The flow from the return is not great enough to really pull lots of air from the room, just enough to help remove the heat. The projector itself it moving vastly more air around (and through) the projector. Think of it more as a chimney that a duct. If it really seems like it could be an issue I can always put filters on the openings around the projector shelf.

post #347 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably a non issue, but worth discussing.

post #348 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

The flow from the return is not great enough to really pull lots of air from the room, just enough to help remove the heat. The projector itself it moving vastly more air around (and through) the projector. Think of it more as a chimney that a duct. If it really seems like it could be an issue I can always put filters on the openings around the projector shelf.

Quote:

Probably a non issue, but worth discussing.

Sounds as though it was thought out, as long as you take into effect the CFM of the duct and it's impact on proj airflow and CFM, including vortex created and possible loss of proj CFM, including average PPM of room dust and filter's MERV rating at both projector and possible add on filter, and reduction of CFM as result of additional filter, and potential decrease in MTBF of proj as a result of particulate infiltration and overheating, as well as loss of work (and higher scrutiny for a RIF) due to taking PT to ship proj on Panny RMA to get a FA.......
Should be good to go! Sometimes you just gotta have faith.

Floyd

post #349 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds as though it was thought out, as long as you take into effect the CFM of the duct and it's impact on proj airflow and CFM, including vortex created and possible loss of proj CFM, including average PPM of room dust and filter's MERV rating at both projector and possible add on filter, and reduction of CFM as result of additional filter, and potential decrease in MTBF of proj as a result of particulate infiltration and overheating, as well as loss of work (and higher scrutiny for a RIF) due to taking PT to ship proj on Panny RMA to get a FA.......
Should be good to go! Sometimes you just gotta have faith.

post #350 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

That was a test of the "Emergency Anal Warning System". It was only a test. If it were an actual anal emergency, you would have been directed to the nearest research facility for further analysis.

Floyd

post #351 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That was a test of the "Emergency Anal Warning System". It was only a test. If it were an actual anal emergency, you would have been directed to the nearest research facility for further analysis.

post #352 of 613 Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

post #353 of 613 Old 10-18-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another weekend down, time for the pics.

The soffit trim piece that I had made for the projector shelf was solid with hole for the lens. This was going to end up blocking the exhaust vents too much to I redesigned it.

This is the trim ring for the lens opening.

The panel covered and the trim ring mounted.

Here is the new panel mounted in the soffit.

Now I needed to work on the area that will be behind the curtain that will cover the entrance, You will see this area when you enter or exit the room so I needed to cover the OC703. I also did not want people to be able to look behind the column when entering and seeing a bunch of wiring from the Grafik eyes. This trim panel extends for the floor to the top of the OC703.

I covered the OC703 with black GoM FR701. Since the OC703 is not very strong I needed to make a jam extension to protect the edges of the OC703.

I made jam extensions that actually cover the existing casing and extend the jam 2" to box out the OC703 that is around the door. The extensions are made of MDF and are covered in the same black FR701.

Here is a close up of the mounted jam extension. I glued the extension to the casing with Powergrab and then wrapped the FR701 around to the groove for the seal to give it a seamless appearance.

Here is a shot from inside the room.

The frame for the acoustic panel that is mounted to the door also is being wrapped in FR701. We painted the edge of the door black and I wrapped the frame.

Here is were I stand now. I am one piece short to finish the OC703 on the door and I need to finish the FR701 wrapped cover.

post #354 of 613 Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I've been away for a while and you've made some awesome progress...with the panny projector as well...im so jealous

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #355 of 613 Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
Star ceiling looks so nice in pictures but how much depth is there in real life?
Does it look somewhat realistic like they are futher away than they actually are?
post #356 of 613 Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Liked: 11
WOW you did a very good job,I'm blown away.Keep up the good work.
post #357 of 613 Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morteym View Post

Star ceiling looks so nice in pictures but how much depth is there in real life?
Does it look somewhat realistic like they are futher away than they actually are?

They actually look quiet real. With the lights down it's hard to judge the ceiling height so they loo further away than they are.

post #358 of 613 Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by morteym View Post

A darkened room (the darker the better) permits the star ceiling to look quite realistic. When a room and ceiling are in complete darkness, the viewer's depth perception is greatly reduced. This permits human perception to be fooled about the actual (relatively short) distance to the small points of light. I think simulating the night sky on your ceiling can produce a convincing illusion and a very nice effect.

Tom

Edit: I see Jello was quicker on the draw and already posted a response earlier this morning. Anyway, I like the star ceiling effect too.

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #359 of 613 Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
anything new to update?

also, looks amazing!!

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #360 of 613 Old 11-18-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Vai_rules View Post

anything new to update?

also, looks amazing!!

Matt

I have just about all the door trim finished and I just ordered 25 yards of GoM for the curtains.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page