post #601 of 613 Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalJman View Post

Nice writeup on our theater. 15,000 for the total cost??? I'm just trying to keep it under 20. Granted, I am paying for my seats rather than making them myself. Maybe next time Thanks for your well documented article. BTW, maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen how you're doing your home automation exactly, like what equipment and methods.

I don't know what the real total is but that is a very good estimate. I will have to sit down and add up all the recipes and find the genuine total. The automation in the room is a combination of the Grafik Eye with various interface modules, a Harmony 890 Pro with an RF to IR adaptor, and a small PLC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 613 Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Liked: 13
Wow! All I can say is wow. You have mad skills - and a VERY nice theater.

Thanks so much for documenting your build here.
post #603 of 613 Old 11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hey Jello, when did you buy the rack panels? Someone wrote a review on Monoprice a week ago saying they fixed the fitments of the panels.

Also, what was your method for mounting the 5.25" blu-ray drive? Or is it just sitting on a shelf?
post #604 of 613 Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
your a little over the top with allot of things..Im completely hating on you - which is a good way to say "I envy you"..great project..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #605 of 613 Old 11-20-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Hey Jello, when did you buy the rack panels? Someone wrote a review on Monoprice a week ago saying they fixed the fitments of the panels.

Also, what was your method for mounting the 5.25" blu-ray drive? Or is it just sitting on a shelf?

I bought the panels a few months ago. For the blu-ray drive I made a custom 1U 5-1/4" drive bracket.
post #606 of 613 Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

The strapping came from diyupholsterysupply.com, look under "all upholstery supplies". The leather and suede comes from www.hidehouse.com, if you order from there make sure to sign up for a wholesale account. The cup holders came from ebay.

Amazing work, and very motivating. Any words of caution/advice you would give someone considering undertaking a similar (copycat) DIY seating project in the future? Also, I have a few specific questions I hope you don't mind my asking:

What hides did you choose, and would you recommend them? I am contemplating doing a few ottomans to test my skills and then possibly trying some seating.

How many hides did you use for the 5 seats?

Are there any special requirements for the wholesale price? I signed up for the wholesale club, but noticed in the forms section a tax form saying you have to fill it out to get wholesale prices?
post #607 of 613 Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToStart View Post

Amazing work, and very motivating. Any words of caution/advice you would give someone considering undertaking a similar (copycat) DIY seating project in the future? Also, I have a few specific questions I hope you don't mind my asking:

What hides did you choose, and would you recommend them? I am contemplating doing a few ottomans to test my skills and then possibly trying some seating.

How many hides did you use for the 5 seats?

Are there any special requirements for the wholesale price? I signed up for the wholesale club, but noticed in the forms section a tax form saying you have to fill it out to get wholesale prices?

I used the "Top Flight" style leather. It has a nice smooth "European" texture. That leather is easy to work with but if you have never done anything like that before I suggest that you buy a cheap hide or piece off of ebay just to get the hang of it. I used most of six hides plus ten pieces of suede that were ten sq feet or so each for the set of five chairs. I did not fill out the tax form.

-Mitchell
post #608 of 613 Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:

I used the "Top Flight" style leather. It has a nice smooth "European" texture. That leather is easy to work with but if you have never done anything like that before I suggest that you buy a cheap hide or piece off of ebay just to get the hang of it. I used most of six hides plus ten pieces of suede that were ten sq feet or so each for the set of five chairs. I did not fill out the tax form.

-Mitchell

Thanks very much. That was the leather I was looking at too. Practice runs with cheap leather are definitely in the plans. Thanks for the great thread, and for such detailed descriptions.
post #609 of 613 Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToStart View Post

Thanks very much. That was the leather I was looking at too. Practice runs with cheap leather are definitely in the plans. Thanks for the great thread, and for such detailed descriptions.

Don't forget that you can order swatch cards from them. They are not free but they will credit you back the price of the cards if you order some leather. You will like Top Flight, it has that soft, buttery feel without being so soft that the finish scratches easily.
post #610 of 613 Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Don't forget that you can order swatch cards from them. They are not free but they will credit you back the price of the cards if you order some leather. You will like Top Flight, it has that soft, buttery feel without being so soft that the finish scratches easily.

Thanks, I didn't see that option. That sounds like exactly the type of leather I want.
post #611 of 613 Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Building everything from scratch is simply amazing. Congrats on a terrific setup!
post #612 of 613 Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Jello -

Great post! I must admit I have theater envy as I am just starting my build... although mine will be nothing close to yours! Thanks for all the great insight into my future...

I might have missed it, but what rack did you use? and do you have any thoughts/suggestions/wise a^^ remarks about choosing a rack? I am currently looking at the Middle Atlantic Products SRSR-X-12 because I like the rotating feature. Your thoughts?

V/r
mike
post #613 of 613 Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

Edit: I made it into Electronic House!
http://www.electronichouse.com/artic..._theater_seats

Here are the finished pics (well, as finished as a theater ever is):

I like the purple ! biggrin.gif

Any updates since last post ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page