questions for a newbie... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to start home construction in about three weeks. So now is the time to think about the pre-wire for this room...

Here is the space that I have allocated for a HT room.

My basic thoughts so far...
I'm going to french door the entry, and want to use the "nook" area in the back for a refreshment area (sink, bar fridge countertop)
Considering a partial wall on the right side of the nook in order to effectively mount the R surround speaker (7.1)

questions:
-where to put equipment rack (under the angled ceiling in the back?)
-how high a riser for rear row?
-reclinable seats?
-stage under screen?
-how much room behind screen for center channel speaker?
-ceiling can lights ok?
-assuming on the W side of the house, above garage, will I need two returns and two supply registers for HVAC

I've had a fascinating week reading about and looking at pictures of all the amazing work you all have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Your photo is showing. Not sure what the issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaweather View Post

My basic thoughts so far...
I'm going to french door the entry, and want to use the "nook" area in the back for a refreshment area (sink, bar fridge countertop)
Considering a partial wall on the right side of the nook in order to effectively mount the R surround speaker (7.1)

How important is sound proofing? French doors cna be very difficult to soundproof.

I wouldn't put a fridge in the room. They are too noisy.

Answers in red:

Quote:

questions:
-where to put equipment rack (under the angled ceiling in the back?) I can't tell you without seeing a photo.
-how high a riser for rear row? Use the calculator pinned on the top of the forum
-reclinable seats? Sure. Most of us use Berkline theater seats. You can get them via a powerbuy for pretty cheap ~$500 per.
-stage under screen? Up to you. I didn't but a lot do.
-how much room behind screen for center channel speaker? Depends on the speaker. Rough estimate is 2-3'
-ceiling can lights ok? sure. But depends on how important sound proofing is. Any hole is your drywall is a way for sound to escape.
-assuming on the W side of the house, above garage, will I need two returns and two supply registers for HVAC have a HVAC person do the calculations for you. A HT produces roughly 10,000 BTUs without having much equipment in the room.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Great info,

did that edit fix the pic??