"Hogwarts Home Theater" -- Layout Advice Needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 08-28-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Alright, I'm planning to begin the build in December, so I'm doing what I learned in the Boy Scouts -- I'm getting prepared! I could use all the advice I can get.

When I'm ready, I'll switch this to a build thread and rename it accordingly!

Proposed Theater Name: Hogwarts Home Theater
The name is the compromise I made with the WAF to pull this whole project off. She and the little one are huuuuge Harry Potter fans, and I don't mind the books/movies either -- they look fantastic in 1080p! lol.

There is a ton of Potter home decor available on the net, including framed movie posters, lighting, and every other type of accent you can imagine. So what the hell, right?! The things we do to make them happy...

Side note: One of the things I did to help sell this idea to the WAF was make a custom Sony movie intro in HD saying "Hogwarts Theater Presents." A huge thanks goes out to Blazer003 and everyone else who helped me figure out how to use blender to make that happen in this thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715166

Planning: OK, now to get to the point of this planning thread. I have been staring at my basement for months trying to figure out how to make the HT happen with the existing structures. I've come up with a few ideas as to how I could go about doing this, and I could really use your advice in making my final decision for layout.

Each of these ideas comes with its own pros and cons which I will list above each sketch. If you can think of some more of each, or an entirely new idea altogether, I'm all ears!! (eyes?)

Another reason that I've been able to convince the WAF that we need a HT is because our wonderful townhouse came with wood-paneling throughout the basement. On top of that, some genius decided to add a layer of vertical textured wallpaper sheets and press-on borders that really give it that "stab-me-in-the-eyes look" he/she was apparently going for! Did I mention that that the wallpaper is sky-blue?! Needless to say, the WAF and I both agree (WOW! Mark that sh*t down!) that it's absolutely gross, so it was real easy to convince her to let me gut it completely and replace the paneling with drywall. Plus, now I can wire the entire basement...WOOHOO... SCORE!!!

Anyway, enough with the lame humor (ya right!)... let's get started!

CURRENT LAYOUT
My current layout does what we needed it to do when we moved into the house -- it's functional.

1. We have an older 43" 720P Pioneer Plasma that kicks butt with the component inputs, but the single HDMI input burned out on me somewhere along the way. (Of course it was a few months AFTER the warranty ran out... imagine that). The TV will stay in the mix until I can replace it with a newer 1080p model -- probably Something like the 54" Panny G10.
2. Audio will be handled by an Onkyo TX-NR807 7.2 AVR which comes with some awesome new features, including Audyssey DSX!
3. I'm still shopping for speakers, but their purchase will depend on what I decide to do with my layout.
4. I have yet to settled on a PJ or electric retractable screen, but those decisions can also wait until it comes time to break out the credit card.
5. I have a FIOS HD DVR, Xbox 360, Wii, and a pretty stout HTPC to round out the Rack-o-Fun(tm).

The below sketch (originally done in Home Designer Suite 8.0), but I no longer have access to that software -- I'm currently in Iraq -- so MS Paint will have to do for now -- the good news is that Windows 7 comes with a much improved version of MS Paint! But, at the end of the day, it's still just MS Paint... so please bear with me!

Fig. 1 -- Current Layout

OPTION 1: Dolby 7.2 Layout
Pros:
  • Limited Renovations Required -- only have to widen door between rooms to make it symmetrical. Everything else stays where it is.
  • Speaker placement is very natural (easy) for the room at ear-level
  • Playroom remains separated by doors -- a.k.a. "noise-B-gone" -- possibly "French Doors," or something similar. If I get real crafty, maybe I could put in two pocket doors.
Cons:
  • Sliding glass door results in horrible glare during daytime viewing, since the WAF doesn't like to shut the curtains. Apparently, a little bit of sunlight is good for you... who knew?!

Fig. 2 -- Proposed Dolby 7.2 Layout

OPTION 2: Audyssey DSX 7.2A ("Wide") Layout
Information on DSX here:
http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

I discovered this lovely new concept while researching speakers and receivers. It turns out that the Onkyo receiver I am almost 99% ready to buy has this wonder new technology built right in... yep, that's right, the magic is apparently in the little black box.. somewhere in there... hiding... just waiting to be unleashed... and stuff. (+10 Bonus for anyone who connected "magic" to the Harry Potter theme )

Bottom line: it's intriguing new tech, and I'm a sucker for new feats of engineering wonder. (Have you ever seen the toilet seats that close real slowly instead of slamming down, even if you try to slam them down? THEY'RE F'N AMAZING!!)

Anyway... sorry about that.

Pros:
  • One huge open room, and open space is neato. (See also: Cons)
  • Cutting edge tech with potentially amazing soundstage
  • No Glare from single door on the new HT side of the room
  • I get to annoy my crazy neighbor in the townhouse next to me with big booms!
  • Wide open play area behind HT makes it easy to watch our kid(s) break stuff
  • Adding wiring for future might lead to some cool 9.1 options when the tech and media for 9.1 eventually show up mainstream.
Cons:
  • (Big problem) The Left-Wide (LW) speaker sticks out from the wall in path between door and rest of room -- right next to the door! -- so my speaker selection for the wides is extremely limited to those with no depth!
  • More extensive renovations required -- moving closets, removing center wall, relocating breaker box
  • A future switch to traditional Dolby 7.2 (if DSX doesn't cut it) would require hanging rear surrounds from ceiling -- not optimal.
  • One huge open room, and open space means there's no way to hide from my kid(s) -- especially their noise! AHHHH! (See also: Pros)

Fig. 3 -- Proposed Audyssey DSX 7.2A Layout

CLOSING:
First, I'm sorry for the lame jokes... not really. Second, I really look forward to any/all advice you can give me. This will be my very first HT, so I'm pretty stoked to have options and being able to wire it properly is rad. (Yes, I said "rad"... Why? Because I really miss that word).

Whatever happens, the adventure has already been a blast. Being in Iraq has given me the opportunity to get very -VERY- bored late at night when I'm not working, so I've had a ton of time to dive into the research for this project. Wonderful tech like Skype has allowed me to bounce my ideas off the WAF in real-time and watch my kid while I'm doing it -- too cool!

My goal with this entire project is to leave my guests and kids spellbound by their time spent in these rooms, and ultimately to create an amazing place to spend 90% of my time at home with the fam. (See what I did there with the witty word choice? "spellbound"... HA!)

(+20 for those who read the entire thing and aren't thinking about punching me right now)

Let the heckling begin!!

-TSF-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-29-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

reserved.
post #3 of 34 Old 08-29-2009, 04:04 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Up for moving walls? Do you really need all that storage space?
post #4 of 34 Old 08-29-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Up for moving walls? Do you really need all that storage space?

LOL, as a matter of fact, I've been considering the size of that storage room for a while now. Problem is, the WAF isn't cool with that, plus we have a TON of stuff to store -- where the heck does it all come from!? It also doubles as a work room for my tools and a bench.

So, the two rooms I have drawn in the OP are the only two I get to work with. I can move walls around, as I have shown in both options, but only in those two rooms. I have 13'x29' total space to work with to create two distinct, but somewhat open, living areas -- a playroom and the HT.

That sliding glass door is also giving me headaches trying to pick a PJ screen... too many darn textures to choose from! And the official WAF-approved PJ mount location(s) -- ceiling only -- are limiting the types of surfaces I can pick from for the manual or electric pull-down screens I want. GOOD TIMES!

But, for now, I'm still trying to figure out the best possible layout with the space I have.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 34 Old 08-29-2009, 04:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

new WAF,

or build a backyard shed
post #6 of 34 Old 08-29-2009, 04:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I would do a combination of shelves and hidden storage for the play area wall, then wrap around to a refreshment center.

post #7 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

new WAF,

or build a backyard shed

LOL!!

umm, wait a minute, she has this link... HEYYY, THAT'S NOT FUNNY MISTER!
post #8 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would do a combination of shelves and hidden storage for the play area wall, then wrap around to a refreshment center.

OK, wow... that's not a bad option at all. My primary concern would be maintaining support for the floors above (load-bearing issues).

My townhouse is wide -- 30 ft by 30 ft square -- so I think some of the walls in the basement might be critical. Of course, I could probably solve that using beams and columns.

hmmm... I like it. I'll have to bring a pro over to assess the structure, and I'd need to find a new place for the stored items. Perhaps in my unfinished attic? I really love the bar and refreshments center... and the play area looks like it could handle a pool table / poker table further down the road. There were some amazing basement setups very similar to this idea -- with 3-seat bar behind seating area -- in some of the threads around here. I need to go back and look for those to help sell it to the WAF.

OK... damn, THANK YOU for the idea! I'm going to run with it and do another mockup. bbl.
post #9 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #10 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I am assuming that the wall inside the storage room is unfinished, If you can snap a picture we might be able to make a guess on what would be involved in moving the wall.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am assuming that the wall inside the storage room is unfinished, If you can snap a picture we might be able to make a guess on what would be involved in moving the wall.

Actually, strangely enough, the storage room is the only room in the basement that already has finished drywall! Seriously, what's up with that!?

Unfortunately, since I'm in Iraq at the moment, I can't take pictures. But, maybe I can convince the WAF to do it... hell, I might even do the unthinkable and have her join and participate in this thread!

As it stands right now, she put a foot down on the storage space when I showed her your idea. So, unless I can find another arrangement that includes plenty of climate-controlled storage for our growing pile of useless kids' toys, I might not be able to convince her to move that wall.

I -really- like your ideas though... so... I just gotta think outside the box to figure out how to box up my stored boxes and place them somewhere else...
post #12 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Is the Bath finished? Pre-plumbed?
post #13 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Compromise

I am not sure what that bump out near the LS speaker is but anyway here is an alternative. I would still work to recess as much of the closet and refreshment center into the storage room as possible. I would cut your closet commitment back to just half of one wall. I don't think it is a good idea to use the original wall for a wall to wall closet as you start to crowd the sliders and make the room look smaller.

You also don't need a 4ft 9inch walkway so you might think about a nice floor to ceiling build in book shelf painted to match the wood work.
post #14 of 34 Old 08-30-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is the Bath finished? Pre-plumbed?

yep.. it's a semi-decent 1/2 bathroom right now. The only unfinished room in the basement is the Utility room, which is fairly untouchable for this project given the HVAC/Water Heater/Laundry facilities, storage, etc, that hang out in there.

Quote:

Compromise
I am not sure what that bump out near the LS speaker is but anyway here is an alternative. I would still work to recess as much of the closet and refreshment center into the storage room as possible. I would cut your closet commitment back to just half of one wall. I don't think it is a good idea to use the original wall for a wall to wall closet as you start to crowd the sliders and make the room look smaller.[/q]
OK, I see where you're going, and I might be able to scrape 2 feet from the storage room without losing much in the way of storage, and I might even be able to fit a rack in there with rear access in the storage room.

That bumpout near the proposed LS is a complete unknown to me, as I haven't pulled the wood panels off yet -- for that matter, the inside of all the walls is still an unknown to me...lol -- but something tells me it's part of the house's support structure. If it turns out that's not the case, I'll try to remove it along with the walls.

[q]You also don't need a 4ft 9inch walkway so you might think about a nice floor to ceiling build in book shelf painted to match the wood work.

The width of the hallway does lend itself to a nice shelf system. When we first moved in, the previous owners had a small ugly ikea shelf system rigged up to that wall. I will certainly add a nicer one to my list!

Also, before I forget to tell you, THANK YOU for all of your help and ideas. If you're still in/near DC, I could even invite you to the grand opening someday!

I'll drop your ideas into the all-powerful MS-paint and see what I can come up with...
post #15 of 34 Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Although it would require having your back to the kids, the picture with the shelves and wrap-around snack bar. For sound issues, I would keep a wall behind the seating area. Having a...29' long room is hell on sound, plus..kids?! I can barely watch a movie with one, he's LOUD!!!

Of course arrangements could be made to get around the length of the room, from setting up the separate channels to compensate to adding different sound-deadening materials to the walls. But I highly doubt arrangements could be made to get around the loud children(bet that climate controlled storage is looking good now).

My main concern would be that with the length of the room, the "reflections" when the sound bounces off the back wall would definitely take longer to reach back to the listening area, and might cause a muddy sound. These are just observations, it really would have to be determined. Either option you go with could be worked with, I wish I had a basement,
post #16 of 34 Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm at the stage now where the WAF challenged me to produce a full-scope cost estimate, including all new equipment, and a timeline for the construction. Little does she know that I've been building a spreadsheet and word document with all of that info the entire time I've been researching!

I'm waiting on CEDIA to come and go so that I can make the final decisions on the new equipment, and I'll probably have to hire someone to do much of the actual construction just to meet the WAF's strict timeline requirements (she doesn't want to lose the basement for more than 4-6 weeks).

I'm more than halfway there gents... convincing the WAF that is... so wish me luck!
post #17 of 34 Old 09-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to point out that WAF is an acronym for Wife Acceptance Factor and refers more to how she feels about your purchases as opposed to the person herself. For that we generally use "the boss"
post #18 of 34 Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbroome View Post

Just wanted to point out that WAF is an acronym for Wife Acceptance Factor and refers more to how she feels about your purchases as opposed to the person herself. For that we generally use "the boss"

I know what it means, and I don't know who the "we" is in your statement -- some sort of AVS Ruling Elite? lol -- but I happen to enjoy referring to her as "the WAF." I've even taken to calling her WAF whenever we discuss the project. She laughs. It works.
post #19 of 34 Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

No elitism intended. I was just enjoying your thread and didn't realize that's what you called her. Thought I'd help out. Now that I know, I wish you continued success with the WAF, and am looking forward to your theater springing up (or should I say apparating?) ;-)
post #20 of 34 Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbroome View Post

No elitism intended. I was just enjoying your thread and didn't realize that's what you called her. Thought I'd help out. Now that I know, I wish you continued success with the WAF, and am looking forward to your theater springing up (or should I say apparating?) ;-)

LOL! Well played young wizard, well played. Thanks for the good wishes!

Gawd I'm a geek... Can I blame the WAF for that too?
post #21 of 34 Old 09-09-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

I got bored and decided to make a couple of custom backdrops for my MediaPortal "Movies" menu item (I use MovingPictures and customized StreamedMP plugins).

I basically just photoshopped the last frame of my custom intro video onto the movie screen of some high-res photos I found with Google.
LL
LL
post #22 of 34 Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinsFan View Post

I got bored and decided to make a couple of custom backdrops for my MediaPortal "Movies" menu item (I use MovingPictures and customized StreamedMP plugins).

I basically just photoshopped the last frame of my custom intro video onto the movie screen of some high-res photos I found with Google.

Dude, those are awesome!! I would love to do that! I played with X-factor(which is what that looks like actually) for awhile, but am back with Streamed MP again... I am obviously not as big a geek as you cause I can't figure out how to change out the pics in the skins...the XML's get a little overwhelming when you open them...

BTW, My wife and I are also huge HP fans, and I even drew up a sketch of how I would do a Hogwarts themed theater at one time, but didn't want to "lock" ourselves in so completely top a theme., but it sure would have been fun!! And have you ever check out the "Coca-Cola intro slide" that that AVS'er makes? He has a whole huge set of HP trivia ones...

Garen
post #23 of 34 Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarenT View Post

Dude, those are awesome!! I would love to do that! I played with X-factor(which is what that looks like actually) for awhile, but am back with Streamed MP again... I am obviously not as big a geek as you cause I can't figure out how to change out the pics in the skins...the XML's get a little overwhelming when you open them...

BTW, My wife and I are also huge HP fans, and I even drew up a sketch of how I would do a Hogwarts themed theater at one time, but didn't want to "lock" ourselves in so completely top a theme., but it sure would have been fun!! And have you ever check out the "Coca-Cola intro slide" that that AVS'er makes? He has a whole huge set of HP trivia ones...

Garen

If you have a theater name, I'd be glad to make you a background image and tell you how to install it in MP. Just tell me what you want the logo to say and if you prefer color or B&W background image, and I'll do the rest. I also attached a generic 20th Century Fox version if you'd prefer that one.

I can even provide you with my custom XML files that make the home screen look like mine (See the attached image below -- please note the wonderful weather description for Iraq! )

Do you still have that HP theme sketch handy? We could use any help we can get with theme ideas!

Last, do you happen to have a link to the HP trivia slides? The WAF would be stoked if I add those!
LL
LL
post #24 of 34 Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:

If you have a theater name, I'd be glad to make you a background image and tell you how to install it in MP. Just tell me what you want the logo to say and if you prefer color or B&W background image, and I'll do the rest. I also attached a generic 20th Century Fox version if you'd prefer that one.

I can even provide you with my custom XML files that make the home screen look like mine (See the attached image below -- please note the wonderful weather description for Iraq! )

Do you still have that HP theme sketch handy? We could use any help we can get with theme ideas!

Last, do you happen to have a link to the HP trivia slides? The WAF would be stoked if I add those!

Sweet! I guess it would probably be "Johnson Home Cinema" I think color would be the best...maybe we could put the logo onto the screen from a picture of my own theater?

Love the "dust" reference! in your home screen...;

I will try and dig up that sketch, don't hold your breath though, but if I can't find it, I'll re-do one for you...It was basically two of the towers of Hogwarts on either side of the screen to hold the front speakers. I was going to put them behind a faked out window that had black speaker cloth behind it...I wanted to do faux rock/stone facade for the front stage and columns. Then between the front and the first column and then between the 1st and 2nd column, (so 4 spots) do "stone" arches with the four House's with recessed paintings or movie memorablilia (similar to that Pirates of the Carribean theater on AVS)

I also would have hid the equipment behind something, either a picture of the Fat Lady, stone gargoyles, or some room of requirement thing...We had even thought of doing some bookshelves in the back with old, musty looking textbooks, potions supplies, Harry's trunk, Quidditch supplies, extra wands etc...Just talking about it makes me want to try it someday! It would be so fun! We went and saw the HP exhibit this summer in Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry and it was way cool!!!! Brought back a lot of ideas...

Here's that link to those slides, they really are amazing, there's hundreds of them between all the versions, and he sends you all the versions whenever you buy it, and at $7 its totally worth it when you see all the work he must have done...I just used windows moviemaker and built my intro and added movie soundtrack music to run in the background...

Garen
post #25 of 34 Old 09-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
your thread is hilarious man. I really dig your sense of humor and writing style. BIG's layout looks like a winner to me. whatever you do, good luck and come back safe.
post #26 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sweet! I guess it would probably be "Johnson Home Cinema" I think color would be the best...maybe we could put the logo onto the screen from a picture of my own theater?

I have finished a 1080p version of the custom theater background for you in all-color. If you want to use a picture of your own theater instead, post it up and I'll get to work. (sorry for the delay btw, I was a bit wrapped up with work for a few weeks).

I just need an email address where I can send the files (send your address to me in a PM here, and I'll send the files right away). The PNG version is roughly 2.6 MB, so I can't post it here.

I attached a custom logo for your theater to this post just as a teaser... hehe.

Quote:

I will try and dig up that sketch, don't hold your breath though, but if I can't find it, I'll re-do one for you...It was basically two of the towers of Hogwarts on either side of the screen to hold the front speakers. I was going to put them behind a faked out window that had black speaker cloth behind it...I wanted to do faux rock/stone facade for the front stage and columns. Then between the front and the first column and then between the 1st and 2nd column, (so 4 spots) do "stone" arches with the four House's with recessed paintings or movie memorablilia (similar to that Pirates of the Carribean theater on AVS)

I also would have hid the equipment behind something, either a picture of the Fat Lady, stone gargoyles, or some room of requirement thing...We had even thought of doing some bookshelves in the back with old, musty looking textbooks, potions supplies, Harry's trunk, Quidditch supplies, extra wands etc...Just talking about it makes me want to try it someday! It would be so fun! We went and saw the HP exhibit this summer in Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry and it was way cool!!!! Brought back a lot of ideas...

I love those ideas man... just need to figure out how to implement them to be "temporary," so that we can take them with us if/when we move and return the walls to a "normal" state when we sell the house. Very cool though, and your ideas really have my WAF excited to get this project started.

She also gave me **** for not discovering and taking her to this mysterious "HP exhibit" you mentioned, so now I need to figure out how to make up for that... (it turns out that she is regularly checking this thread... so that means I need to stay on point, and we ALL need to be careful with the great ideas from here on out! )

Quote:

Here's that link to those slides, they really are amazing, there's hundreds of them between all the versions, and he sends you all the versions whenever you buy it, and at $7 its totally worth it when you see all the work he must have done...I just used windows moviemaker and built my intro and added movie soundtrack music to run in the background...

Garen

Cool, I'm on it. $7 seems very worth it to me. (In other words, the WAF said "I want them")
LL
post #27 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradius View Post

your thread is hilarious man. I really dig your sense of humor and writing style. BIG's layout looks like a winner to me. whatever you do, good luck and come back safe.

LOL.. thank you for the encouragement and kind words!

I'm not sure the rest of the folks here appreciate you encouraging me to continue with the lame jokes, but I'm going to assume you speak for everyone in the entire WORLLLLD... and continue on with my bad self and bad jokes.
post #28 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:

I have finished a 1080p version of the custom theater background for you in all-color. If you want to use a picture of your own theater instead, post it up and I'll get to work. (sorry for the delay btw, I was a bit wrapped up with work for a few weeks).

I just need an email address where I can send the files (send your address to me in a PM here, and I'll send the files right away). The PNG version is roughly 2.6 MB, so I can't post it here.

I attached a custom logo for your theater to this post just as a teaser... hehe.

I love those ideas man... just need to figure out how to implement them to be "temporary," so that we can take them with us if/when we move and return the walls to a "normal" state when we sell the house. Very cool though, and your ideas really have my WAF excited to get this project started.

She also gave me **** for not discovering and taking her to this mysterious "HP exhibit" you mentioned, so now I need to figure out how to make up for that... (it turns out that she is regularly checking this thread... so that means I need to stay on point, and we ALL need to be careful with the great ideas from here on out! )

Cool, I'm on it. $7 seems very worth it to me. (In other words, the WAF said "I want them")

Dude! That looks awesome! Thanks for doing that for me!! BTW if you haven't yet, you should really check out the X-factor skin for MP, there's a perfect place for your photos in that one, and as you click on them they change from B&W to color so it would be perfect, and way easier to customize than StreamedMP IMO...

Well making a theme theater thats removable is a little more complicated, but I suppose we could come up with something...you could make the arches as separate pieces with the house logos painted onto a piece of plywood or drywall thats connected to the arch, and then find a way to attach and hid the screws easily enough...and if you pieced together the parts of the stage with the thought of having to take it down you could just build it a little different...

Garen
post #29 of 34 Old 10-06-2009, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Dude! That looks awesome! Thanks for doing that for me!! BTW if you haven't yet, you should really check out the X-factor skin for MP, there's a perfect place for your photos in that one, and as you click on them they change from B&W to color so it would be perfect, and way easier to customize than StreamedMP IMO...

Well making a theme theater thats removable is a little more complicated, but I suppose we could come up with something...you could make the arches as separate pieces with the house logos painted onto a piece of plywood or drywall thats connected to the arch, and then find a way to attach and hid the screws easily enough...and if you pieced together the parts of the stage with the thought of having to take it down you could just build it a little different...

Garen

Email sent with the PNG background image.

As for StreamedMP vs. XFactor, I may need to give up MediaPortal altogether. The reason is the newly authorized use of CableCARDs in custom PC's -- CableLabs no longer requires expensive OEM PC's to use their certified HD cableCARD tuners, but they still won't work with anything other than Windows Media Center. DOH!

So, I may need to switch back to WMC with the MediaBrowser plugin to have my movies, TV, music, and PVR, all in the same interface. Finally being able to record HD broadcasts without hacks is just too tempting... and some of the new tuners will even allow four HD streams at once using a single tuner card! Nuts!

In the meantime, though, my trip home is fast approaching, so I need to start compiling these HP-theme ideas into something realistic and as cheap as possible.

As of right now, it looks like I'll be going with some version of "Option 1" in my first post here -- a traditional 7.2 setup with very few room modifications. My biggest challenge will be the light coming through the sliding glass door, but hopefully I can find some good curtains to solve that problem during the day. (Gryffindor colors perhaps?)

Anyone know where I can find a set of sliding glass doors with some sort of internal black-out function between the panes of glass -- not internal blinds?

Wish me luck!
post #30 of 34 Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM

Lol, when I saw "Hogwarts Home Theater", I was thinking of the guy from the AllState commercial. But that's "Bergwood". I wasn't even close...

Great thread, btw.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page