The DayDream Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 183 Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Actually building a false wall is best done after drywall for ease of drywalling the space and for sound containment purposes, Don't over build the false wall, IMHO a common mistake. My false wall is only two uprights and a cross piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 183 Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks Big. I really shouldn't have referred to "false wall" because it is a furring wall. Decided to furr the front to avoid a foundation concrete bump and water line. It also gives about 5 more inches depth for the in-wall speakers without affecting space for insulation. I built the speaker backing boxes from MDF for nine (7.1 probably with 2 subs).

Another gap in me keeping the forum updated but, things are progressing again.

Dale
post #33 of 183 Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

No more walking through the back wall of the theater to get to the bar/bathroom area! What a chore to put this doorway (there will not be a door here) through. I had to remove a 6 x 8 post (not directly weight bearing) and replace it with a 2 x 12 header. Of course the light switches and an outlet for the room on the other side had to be moved too. With this the last major framing work is done.

The entrance is at the bottom of the stairs on the lower level of the house, with the theater entrance further ahead on the right.

post #34 of 183 Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

This view is a few feet inside the new door way. I mocked-up the 6 foot counter and cabinets along with a 4 foot bar to help my wife and I get a better visual and decide where lighting will go. It will be can lights overall with some kind of pendant fixture over the bar.

There will be a tv/monitor between the wall cabinets with a shelf or rack below it. It may look rather small but, our impression is it will be a cozy fun spot. Sorry these photos are a bit fuzy. I've misplaced the camera and had use my iPhone instead.

I am working on wiring now. My contractor ran three 20 amp circuits to the bath/equipment rack. One of each will be dedicated to AV, lighting and outlets. I've also received my order from MonoPrice for all the AV cabling.

Dale
post #35 of 183 Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
how comfortable are the theater chairs cmpared to HT recliners?

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #36 of 183 Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

elmalloc wrote: "how comfortable are the theater chairs compared to HT recliners?"

Hi Elmo, good question. I'd bet HT recliners. For me if I recline though, I'll be asleep soon after. I actually planned to save up and buy something like what user: mct123 http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz343/mct123/ has.

Those actually cost as much or more than recliners. While I was trying to figure out how to fit that into my HT funding my wife found the IMAX seating for free. They are comfortable and most of the 17 I picked up have rocker backs. To enhance comfort I am making the space between the two rows deep enough to fully stretch out. There will also be room for foot rests we may try.
post #37 of 183 Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Nice find on the Imax seats!!!

We went with Angela Plus seats because of spacing (six kids would fill up recliners quickly) and the view distance we have available. You're right, they are basically the same price as the Berklines. (Wish my wife would have found some )
post #38 of 183 Old 07-23-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

There will be a tv/monitor between the wall cabinets with a shelf or rack below it. It may look rather small but, our impression is it will be a cozy fun spot.

In your mock up, the front of the bar does not extend out even with the back, it looks like the back is bigger. Is that the plan for the final bar, or is your mockup incomplete?

How much space are you planning between the back and the front (where the bar tender stands)?

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #39 of 183 Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

In your mock up, the front of the bar does not extend out even with the back, it looks like the back is bigger. Is that the plan for the final bar, or is your mockup incomplete?

How much space are you planning between the back and the front (where the bar tender stands)?

Hi Chris,

Yeah, the back counter is 6 ft while the bar is 4 ft. Problem is a bathroom wall to the right of the bar end. The bar could be made 6 ft but the additional 2 ft would have to be either removable or a swiing up/down section to have room to get between the bar and counter. It's kind of a tight space but, we really want to create the bar "look" and function.

Plan to have 30 inches for the "bartender" to work.

Dale
post #40 of 183 Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

Plan to have 30 inches for the "bartender" to work.

That is going to be a little tight. You may want to consider going with shallow cabinets so you have at least 36" of space for the "bartender", so they can sit down without banging their knees.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #41 of 183 Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
That is going to be a little tight. You may want to consider going with shallow cabinets so you have at least 36" of space for the "bartender", so they can sit down without banging their knees.
Good point Chris. It would be nice for them to be able to sit behind the bar as well and could make the space more usable. I'll definitely consider that. Thanks for your comments.

Dale
post #42 of 183 Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

I spent since my last post until mid-August getting the rough-in electrical done and most of the AV cabling. For a guy who spends most of his time in an office, that stuff is really rough on the hands!

I call this the puzzle wall because I cut out many pieces needed so that the electrical and speaker wire could be run. Then I had to fiqure out where the pieces went to put them back and had to custom create some replacements.

After the wiring came insulation. You can see some of the first drywall on the ceiling.

We all know what drywall looks like so I won't post but, this one photo. Got started by doing the ceiling in the theater first. Without my son and a drywall lift it would have been impossible! I am putting up two layers, with the first having the joints caulked.

post #43 of 183 Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

UPS delivered the Monoprice speaker order yesterday. I hadn't planned to get them yet, since I am still working on drywall but, Monoprice put their 4101 8 inch 2-Way model on special so I couldn't resist and ordered all I'll need.

2 4928 10 inch Subwoofers
1 6317 5 & 1/4 inch Center Channel
8 4101 8 inch 2-Ways for 6 surrounds and 2 for the lounge/bar
1 1x2 HDMI splitter for the tv in the lounge

Dale
post #44 of 183 Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked: 13
Christmas came early for someone... Congrats!
post #45 of 183 Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

The double layers of sheetrock have been completed in the theater. I'm waiting until I get the lounge done too before starting the taping and mudding.

If that looks like alot of cables for the projector...it is. Since I had the easiest opportunity during construction, I ran 3 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 VGA, 1 Serial and 1 IR emitter.
post #46 of 183 Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Here a couple of current progress shots in the lounge area. The bar wall with several panels of plywood behind the sheetrock for mounting purposes. The small panel on the left will be where the TV/monitor will go. The panels to the right are where we plan to mount some wine racks.

All the insulation is in and the ceiling in the lounge and bathroom is up and I've started the walls beginning in the equipment closet.

Dale
post #47 of 183 Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Here are a couple of photos of the rough in sheetrocked equipment closet. The three 2x6 rails will be supporting dual racks on drawer slides for access. The bottom and top of the closet front will be vented and internally have fans on a thermostat outlet. That lower panel of sheetrock with 9 outlets sure was fun!

This photo shows the groups of wires coming into the closet. They come from the bar tv/monitor, theater speakers, riser and projector.

Dale
post #48 of 183 Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent progress! Can't wait to see the rack in your equipment closet.

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #49 of 183 Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

The sheetrock installation is done. Now it's on to taping and mudding. Here are a couple shots of the bar area, looking toward the bar...

...and from the bar looking out, bathroom door is just to the left and equipment rack on the far left.

Dale
post #50 of 183 Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Liked: 11
Lookin good man. cant wait to see this finished.
post #51 of 183 Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

QX56 said: "Lookin good man. cant wait to see this finished."

Thanks QX, neither can I but, somedays I really wonder how long that might be...then I realize it won't unless I just keep at it.

Dale
post #52 of 183 Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Taping and mudding goes slowly but, sure is less physical than hanging the sheetrock. All the corners and flats have been taped and first layer of mudd is coming along ok. Not much to see but, here's the lounge/bar with the first coat.

Dale
post #53 of 183 Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

With the first coat of mud in the lounge and theater on I've turned to building the stage and proscenium. I am inspired by a couple of others:

Damelon's Making the Bacon Race Theater http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=show&page=21 post 627 and

Nick's Sunset Knoll Theater http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=994029 post 7

I'm using 2x10's with the step on 2x4's and 3/8" plywood skirting. Here's the 10' wide left hand section.

The left and right hand 6'6" section.

With the end boxed sections and 10' curved middle. This is the second attempt at this accomplished by trial & error and many adjustments.

The 10 1/2" step frame is now in place.

Next comes the stuffing with insulation and plywood top, then framing the proscenium.

Dale
post #54 of 183 Old 02-12-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Made some more progress on the stage. Filled with insulation:

Plywood top and step cutout:

Still need to glue and screw the plywood down. Then onto the proscenium.

Dale
post #55 of 183 Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Glued and screwed down the plywood top to the stage and step. Then this weekend built the proscenium.

Proscenium framed and sheetrocked.

Now after this little diversion, it's back to the mudding then sanding to prep for texturing the sheetrock.

Dale
post #56 of 183 Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
Looks great man. How has it been going.
post #57 of 183 Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qx56 View Post

Looks great man. How has it been going.

Thanks for the bump QX. I've got two coats of mud on the theater so will be sanding a bit to get ready for texturing. Working on the second coat of mud in the bar now.

My wife and I have been looking at carpet, flooring for the bar and paint colors but, nothing is decided yet.

Dale
post #58 of 183 Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

We looked a some local retailers and Lowes but, didn't see anything that stood out to us. Then today went to Home Depot and found something we liked. In trying to make this choice we wanted to find one complementary to the fabric of the theater seats which wasn't as easy to do as I thought. Here's what we decided on:

It's exclusive to HD but, made by Shaw and in their Traffic Master series, it's Scarlet 31.

We think the maroon ties in with the upholstery (the chairs are lighter appearing in the photo than in person) and the black with the gloss black armrests. Next we want to choose a wall color and have them do a color match tied either to the maroon or copper/bronze colors in the carpet.

Dale
post #59 of 183 Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Finished prepping the drywall this past weekend for texturing. That sanding drywall has to be about the worst job of the whole project! Hopefully I've done enough and the texturing will cover any bad spots.

The second worst job has been cleaning up the dust so I could get the floors masked for texturing then painting:

post #60 of 183 Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

My brother came over last night and sprayed the texture as I assisted. Looks like it came out good. Just needs a little more drying time and then I can start painting. I've taken some time off this week to make some big progress.

Dale
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page