The DayDream Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 183 Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow - I really like your light fixtures. I love the look of bent iron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 183 Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 13
Things are coming along well Dale. The colour choice looks great, but it's so difficult to capture on camera what it really looks like, and also difficult to imagine what it's going to look like on the wall from a small sample. I can see you like to visually imagine things (placing the seats in there early, mock bar, etc) so hopefully the colour was what you had imagined. Also now that the space is more defined you probably can envision the finished product much easier too.

Looking forward to seeing the business end now.
post #93 of 183 Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymo View Post

Wow - I really like your light fixtures. I love the look of bent iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly View Post

Things are coming along well Dale. The colour choice looks great....

Thanks Andy and Pete.

Since my last post I've finished installing the laminate floor in the bar and bath. I got the doors hung this weekend and started working on the trim. I hope to post an update (with pics) soon when that's done.

Dale
post #94 of 183 Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the finished floor and partially completed trim and doors. Still a bit more to install and paint the doors.

post #95 of 183 Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Two weeks ago my future son-in-law set up my HT and server PC's which inspired me to start working on the equipment racks. With the closet space and no access to the rear of the racks I planned to use drawer guides so the racks can be pulled out for access. I bought guides rated for 100 lbs, some 1x3 & 1x12 pine and Rubbermaid shelving at HD. I started by building the "drawers" and installing the guides on the 2x6 rails.

The rack frames are 55 x 20 1/2 inches with interior width of 19 inches. I settled on drilling 1/2 holes for pins to hold the shelves. Alot of drilling and painting some 240 of them. I went this route because it seemed the least visible. I painted the closet interior flat Mouse Ears Black.

After quite a bit of adjusting and installing the frames and trim they were painted satin Mouse Ears Black. Then I started installing shelves and equipment.

The completed racks are loaded with equipment. I refer to the left one as the HT rack with the PS3, receiver/amps, DVD and CD changers; the right as the IT rack with the networking gear, monitor, HTPC and NAS/server. Only the IT equipment is up and running for now. A couple of items remain to be added: the cable box/HD/DVR and the UPS/surge protector.

I added grills above and below the racks for air flow and am planning to add fans controlled by a thermostat. The racks are fairly heavy so I will build a stand to support them when pulled out.

Dale
post #96 of 183 Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 AM

Liked: 16
Amazing Build! Congrats on conquring all those little hurddles ^_^
post #97 of 183 Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFSemicolen View Post

Amazing Build! Congrats on conquring all those little hurddles ^_^

Thanks Paul. It has been a journey for sure. One that is only possible because of the people and resources on AVS.
post #98 of 183 Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

This past week I finished painting and installing the doors and trim in the bar and bath. Next up in there will be cabinets and plumbing fixtures which we haven't chosen yet.

post #99 of 183 Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Went to Home Depot yesterday to get materials for the riser build. 2x12's, 2x6's, carriage bolts, etc.

Here's the inventory of theater chair parts. When I got these chairs it was a free for all give away and I ended up with 17, 18 and 19 inch chair backs, some with rockers; then there's the arm rails in five different lengths. I think I'll have enough to do what I want and a few spares. This riser will be a bit different than most since it will support both rows of chairs as they anchor to the back rather than the floor.

PaulFSemicolen likes this.
post #100 of 183 Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I began the riser construction by cutting the 2x12 frame and preparing a mock up of the chair placement. 2x12's were needed beause the chair rails (not sure of a better name for them) require an 11 inch wall to anchor them. This also helps a bit because of the high backs on the chairs.

Here's the view toward the screen wall...plenty of clearance above the front row.

This side view shows the distance between the rows. About 45 inches from chair back to chair back.

Because of longer chair rails on the second row, the chairs will be 5 1/2 inches from the wall with viewers ears around 10 inches. One of the things I dislike about commercial theaters is the lack of leg room (although some old theaters are worse for that) so I want to be sure to have more. The current riser mock up is 51 inches deep and when I sit in the second row I cant' quite stretch out fully by maybe 6 inches. So I'm going to stretch the riser forward that far and check again. I'm only 5'9 1/2" so it still won't be enough for everyone but, there is the first row and the seat on each end of the second row is unobstructed. I also don't want to move the first row much closer to the screen.
post #101 of 183 Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I've never used commercial chairs, but why is the bracket extending out the back instead of straight down? Can it be swiveled?
post #102 of 183 Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hi BIG. These are quite a hunk of metal. The only adjustment on them is to set the tilt of the chair back for the particular placement of the chair. Here's a closer picture of one. They were made for an omnimax theater, maybe that has something to do with why they mount that way. Our local stadium (not a theater of course) has seats that mount like that too.

post #103 of 183 Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Does your placement demand that 2nd row is directly behind 1st? I would have interleaved them...

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #104 of 183 Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

...They were made for an omnimax theater, maybe that has something to do with why they mount that way. Our local stadium (not a theater of course) has seats that mount like that too.

I think it is to allow for easier cleaning/sweeping under the seats.
post #105 of 183 Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Does your placement demand that 2nd row is directly behind 1st? I would have interleaved them...

I prefer the rows inline for a few reasons. I like the look of it and wonder if there would be more of a distraction factor seeing hands/arms of people directly in front view whenever they move. If I offset the second row I probably lose one seat because I run out of room width. I know who needs fourteen seats anyway! Our family gatherings usually are larger than that so I'm sure that they'll all get used occasionally. smile.gif
post #106 of 183 Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post

I think it is to allow for easier cleaning/sweeping under the seats.

Hi Joe,

Now that makes sense. Thanks
post #107 of 183 Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

I prefer the rows inline for a few reasons. I like the look of it and wonder if there would be more of a distraction factor seeing hands/arms of people directly in front view whenever they move. If I offset the second row I probably lose one seat because I run out of room width. I know who needs fourteen seats anyway! Our family gatherings usually are larger than that so I'm sure that they'll all get used occasionally. smile.gif

Ok!

Fourteen will be putting you quite high up on the largest HT in seats counted here, methinks. smile.gif

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #108 of 183 Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Ok!

Fourteen will be putting you quite high up on the largest HT in seats counted here, methinks. smile.gif

Hmmm...I guess I hadn't thought of that. Really I ended up with this many because they were free. I prefer theater seating and planned to buy some but, could not have afforded this many.
post #109 of 183 Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Got the first row of seats in today. I started at the center and worked to the right, then went from center to the left, drilling for the bolts to fit each chair. Since I have several different sizes of chair backs, seats and brackets this worked well.

My plan is to mount all the seats as I work on completing the riser. When it's time for carpet they'll be taken out for cleaning, detailing and painting the arm rests.
post #110 of 183 Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Finished framing the riser today using hangers and 2 x 6 joists. About 1/3 from the bottom of this picture the two halves of the riser join and you can see that the closer half is 1 inch wider. This is due to the difference in the chair bracket sizes, three being shorter than the remaining four. Once the top is on the riser this won't be visable.

post #111 of 183 Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I just read through your whole thread. Your theater looks really great. After seeing all your progress in one go, it kind of sucks that I now have to wait in real time to see any more updates! LOL.

Keep up the good work, you are nearly there!
post #112 of 183 Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jonny. My motivation level is rising as the theater is getting closer to completion. I'll try to keep those updates frequent! biggrin.gif
post #113 of 183 Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 93
So luckly on the chairs I found some Ashley powered media/theater chairs on sale at the Army Exchange for $127 ea. I think they made a mistake but I bought all 8 of them before they realized. Free is always better smile.gif
post #114 of 183 Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey cw5billwade, sounds like you got a great deal. Do you have a build thread on AVS?
post #115 of 183 Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 93
not yet house is going up I could not pass on the deal so they are in storage.
post #116 of 183 Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Routed the electrical and various av wires through the riser, taking care to keep them separate, where possible. I drilled holes to run the electrical through the joists and the av wires lay on the floor. On the left in the picture where several wires come out the front of the riser, I'll be framing a low profile box to install outlets for an av panel.

I'll be stuffing the riser with insulation but, first have to figure out the back support for the second row of theater chairs. I've started assembling the second row on the floor in front of the first row. This is because there will be three groups (3, 2 and 3) of chairs as there are 14, 15 and 17 1/2 inch chair bracket lengths. It will make more sense with pictures as I progress.

post #117 of 183 Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

I finished assembling the second row seats on the floor.

Then installed the verticals in the riser to support the second row backstop. I stuffed the riser with R19 insulation and made the cutout pieces of 1 1/8 inch plywood to fit around the verticals.

Plywood top on the riser.

The seats all temporarily placed.

Space/leg room between the rows.

I'll be renting an upholstory/carpet cleaner this weekend to clean the backs and seats of the chairs before I take them out for the carpet installation. The carpet measurement and estimates are done, awaiting a call to schedule installation, hopefully mid-month. Before then I need to finish the riser steps & lights and building the box for the av ports. There's still cleaning the chair brackets and sanding & repainting the armrests too.

This past Saturday we ordered the cabinets and sink for the bar. They should be here in two weeks so things will be looking more complete soon. smile.gif
post #118 of 183 Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Looking great. You must have a lot of family and friends to regularly fill all those seats!
post #119 of 183 Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jonny. We think that will happen from time to time with a large family and a couple of hobby groups we're in. At least the price was right for the seats.wink.gif
post #120 of 183 Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I got the chair upholstery cleaned a couple weeks ago. Then over this weekend my son removed the seating from the theater so I could finish up the riser to be ready for carpet installation this coming Friday. I finished the riser steps and anchoring the back support plate for the second row. Stilll need to paint the back support for both rows as its not practical to carpet them with all the bolts coming through. When the chairs are in the place it is not visible anyway. Next to do is the AV panel box for the front row.

Last week the bar cabinets, countertop, sink, refrigerator, tv mount, toilet and bathroom pedestal sink all arrived. My brother is coming over this week so I can help him install those. The light at the end of the projector is getting closer!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page