Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 183 Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post

Can they add-on motor be stopped midway? Or is it fully open, or fully closed? Can you independently control the opening and closing contacts? I'm a z-wave user, and would want to have some control over that motor, as you do with x-10. Wonder if anyone has opened up this box and looked at the contacts to perhaps wire up more than one power lead to it, for more control...

Hello thrak76. Yes, the add-a-motor can be stopped at any point during opening or closing by turning the power to the motor's power adapter off. In my case this is done by using an X10 controlled 110v outlet that replaces a normal outlet. The X10 outlet is simply turned on or off by the push of a button on a compatible remote controller. Other than that the motor is quite simple (wish it was as inexpensive though). It has two limit switches or stops that the user sets independent of each other depending on how large of an opening the curtain spans. I do not recall how wide an opening it can accommodate, mine is about 13 & 1/2 feet. Starting with the curtain closed, when power is turned on the motor runs until it reaches the open limit switch or before then if power is turned off. The same occurs when starting from an open curtain position. The motor must be run all the way to one of the limit switches before it will run in the opposite direction. As I said, it is a simple device. With practice I have been able to stop the motor at the screen size positions I use. I have not tried to set a macro in my controller to do it more automatically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 183 Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Of course... limit switches. So really one could just set the limits at 1.78 closed, 2.35-ish for open, and call it good. Not much 4:3 material these days. Can you still manually operate the curtains with the motor attached, or do you have to use the motor exclusively?
I still like to tinker so I'd probably open up the box and check it out, as well as investigating some more configurable alternatives. Thanks for the details!
post #183 of 183 Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post

Of course... limit switches. So really one could just set the limits at 1.78 closed, 2.35-ish for open, and call it good. Not much 4:3 material these days. Can you still manually operate the curtains with the motor attached, or do you have to use the motor exclusively?
I still like to tinker so I'd probably open up the box and check it out, as well as investigating some more configurable alternatives. Thanks for the details!

You're welcome. Yes, i am sure you could just use the two screen sizes as open/closed, I just like to show things off a bit by having it full closed and then full open. I believe you can manually operate the curtain with the motor attached but, its very easy to release the tension on the rope.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page