Well, I have been a member on here for a long time, but haven't been on in a while. I know the knowledge here is astounding, so, I figured here is where I would go for some answers.... or pointers as it were.
My wife and I are finally adding on to the house (if all goes as planned). With two relatively new kids, a reeling econony, and questionable future...we decided to add on to what we got than build new on our other property. The builder we are using knows (or at least seems to know) about staggering studs, absorbtion panels, different sheetrock, a/c concerns, and other stuff he threw out during our conversation, but you guys DO know. So, here's the rough ideas.
Overall, the room (unless I need to change it) will have an average of 8' ceiling, 15'6" (average) wide by 23' feet long. I say an average of 8' because we intend on making the ceiling "drop" to match the floor risers. Each row of risers (two total) will have 8' of headroom. Also, I am thinking of having the room either narrow or widen from one end to the other, like in an amphitheater (maybe 16' on back to 15' in front or vice-versa). I went on line and scoped out some of the "insert fancy name" diagram for the standing waves. Am I anywhere in the ball park?
I have the stuff I have been buying along the way for such an event. I have the three rotel Amps (two 1070's and one 1080), the Integra DTc 9.8 Processor, and a 10 year old Miller and Kreisel V1250-THX Subwoofer. I also have my B&W speakers (two DM604S3's, two DM601S3's, and one LCR600S3).
I will need to get a rear projector, a screen, seating, and potentially new speakers and an additional amp or two. Heck, I may need a new sub or two....of course, I wanna big ol plasma on the wall when the screen is up. I know I will need more stuff.
This room will be used primarily for movies, but I will also be using it for my childish love of Xbox 360 Live. Gotta play me some Call of Duty with my friends.
So, I will throw out some questions....
2. What dimensions should I try to stick with?
3. Equipment good enough? Should I keep what I currently have in the living room and buy all new for the theater? (I would rather spend the money on other things, if possible and use the equipment I have been buying in the theater room.)
a. Speakers? in walls- Maybe B&W CWM800; additional B&W DM601S3 to match what I have; or some B&W D63 DiPoles.
b. more amps? Rotel to match what I have.
c. more/different subs? looking at two pair of 15" in IB array in ceiling.
4. Projector? Looking at JVC DILA 750 ( a little pricey, though).
5. Screen? light not an issue in this room, would prefer acoustically transparent for speakers behind screen and a size around 110"-120"
7. Seating? Finding decent sets online for about $2400-$3800 for row of 4 powered reclining.
8. I am sure there will be more......(like, anyone play video games on a projector and screen? say 110" or so?)
Well, we look to try and do this this year, so...(with the stuff I wanna buy for the kitchen, please keep it realistic....I'm not gonna buy a cinecurve with a Runco DLP.) , I wish I could. I am gonna do this, I just need some pointers (read instructions). P.S. A friend of mine's wife is saving absorption and other sound panels she is getting on the job (she's an architecht) and keeping them for me.
Here are some pics of plans and ideas so far...