Deadwood Theater Comes Alive - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #31 of 282 Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have said it before, but this theater always continues to amaze me. great craftsmanship and finally speakers out in the open where they belong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 282 Old 12-31-2009, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Roger,your work is simply awesome to look at and I am sure the AV experience is out-of this -world. Lacking the wherewithal to fully duplicate the Deadwood Theater I would like to get what would be, to me, the essential (well actually, it's the only piece I can afford!) added to mine. Where did you get the Deadwood Picture? That continues to be my favorite ^%#&$* show of all-time. Does the HBO store have them?
Thanks and again, congratulations on a beautiful achievement.
Laramie
post #33 of 282 Old 01-01-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laramie55 View Post

Roger,your work is simply awesome to look at and I am sure the AV experience is out-of this -world. Lacking the wherewithal to fully duplicate the Deadwood Theater I would like to get what would be, to me, the essential (well actually, it's the only piece I can afford!) added to mine. Where did you get the Deadwood Picture? That continues to be my favorite ^%#&$* show of all-time. Does the HBO store have them?
Thanks and again, congratulations on a beautiful achievement.
Laramie

Thanks for your generous words. Deadwood was a singularly amazing series. A friend bought the poster for me, but a quick search turned up the exact one at Target, of all places.

There's a great selection of Deadwood posters at MovieGoods.

Enjoy the spirit of Deadwood in your theater.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #34 of 282 Old 01-01-2010, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey Roger -

Came across this thread while looking at the new posts activity, and my wife grabbed my laptop when she saw the first pic of your room ....

"Oooh, that's nice!"

I guess she approves.

She thinks you should hide the amp under the center channel though. She is female after all.

Happy new year!
post #35 of 282 Old 01-01-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Hey Roger -

Came across this thread while looking at the new posts activity, and my wife grabbed my laptop when she saw the first pic of your room ....

"Oooh, that's nice!"

I guess she approves.

That's no small compliment considering how tasteful your room is. Luckily, my wife was so happy with it, she actually likes to watch movies in there with her friends.

Quote:

She thinks you should hide the amp under the center channel though. She is female after all.

Can't say I disagree. I do put black tape over the power indicator LEDs to ensure the amps disappear when watching movies. Amazing how even a couple of LEDs can grab your attention when the room goes dark.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #36 of 282 Old 01-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Great theater and great theme. Deadwood, albeit too short, was fantastic!
post #37 of 282 Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Great theater, great theme...

Please do tell everything you will about the door. Where? How much? Hardware? Prehung or did you hang it yourself?

Awesome!

Mike

Mike
my construction thread (Coming Soon...)
post #38 of 282 Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 AM

Well done, I love it!
post #39 of 282 Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeryan View Post

Great theater, great theme...

Please do tell everything you will about the door. Where? How much? Hardware? Prehung or did you hang it yourself?

Awesome!

Thanks, Mike.

I bought the door from Acoustical Surfaces. It came pre-hung in an oak frame. Weighs 300 pounds, so I hired a couple of burly guys to carry it up to the second floor.

The 4 hinges are all heavy duty ball bearing units from Baldwin, who also made the latchset. The top and side seals are effective, but I supplemented the bottom seal by adding a 3/8" lip in the threshold, edged with a rubber strip. It's all good quality and works as advertised to keep the sound from leaking.

Would I use them again? Probably not. Their shipping arrangements did not prevent creative "repackaging" of the door from its original pallet to a different one somewhere between Minnesota and Oregon, which basically destroyed the jamb. Then the replacement pieces had the hinges mounted in randomly different locations, so they didn't match up with the door. I was able to make it all work, though, with some simple carpentry.

Had the QuietHome Door been available in 36" width at the time, I would have gone for that, as it would have saved quite a bit of money for the door as well as shorter shipping from CA. In ballpark terms, mine was around $3k incl shipping. I wish Amazon sold these doors, then I could have gotten free shipping!

Looking forward to your build thread.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #40 of 282 Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Roger, nice room! I noticed you used Quiet Rock 510 on your common wall. I live in Condo and I'm thinking about using this or 525 on my common walls so I can go a bit louder with my media room and not disturb my neighbors. How well does it work in your opinion. Thanks!

I like Ice Cream!
post #41 of 282 Old 01-14-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

Roger, nice room! I noticed you used Quiet Rock 510 on your common wall. I live in Condo and I'm thinking about using this or 525 on my common walls so I can go a bit louder with my media room and not disturb my neighbors. How well does it work in your opinion. Thanks!

It's hard to quantify, but I do feel it is very effective and worthwhile. I'd use it again. I was not able to do a before/after test, since the Quiet Rock had to be installed before the door installation was completed. I'm not as sure about the effectiveness of the Green Glue, but it's in the sandwich nonetheless.

Good luck with the project. Gotta keep those neighbors happy!

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #42 of 282 Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
EJD

Although I'm on the site pretty regularly, I rarely post. However, I had to pop in to say what a phenomenal job you did with your theater. Simply first class from top to bottom.

Has to be neck and neck with Landshark's as my favorite theaters on the site.
post #43 of 282 Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

Has to be neck and neck with Landshark's as my favorite theaters on the site.

I agree, each time I come back to this thread I like it more and more.

I'm tearing my hair out as to colour schemes/finish...I'm getting to the stage where the more beautiful rooms I see the worse its getting! thanks Roger!

I really love how nicely integrated the diffusers are in this build, they really look the part, not just stuck to the wall with double sides tape type look.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #44 of 282 Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm flattered, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

Although I'm on the site pretty regularly, I rarely post. However, I had to pop in to say what a phenomenal job you did with your theater. Simply first class from top to bottom.

I'm glad one of your rare posts came this way. Very kind of you.

I noticed your post at the KEF thread, and would mention I had a previous system where I used three of the KEF IQ6C center channel speakers for L/C/R, so they would all match acoustically, and so the L/Rs would not block the windows. When I bought them, I told the salesman I was using three center speakers for L/C/R and he said: "Can you do that?"

They really sounded wonderful. Luv those Uni-Q drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

I agree, each time I come back to this thread I like it more and more.

I'm tearing my hair out as to colour schemes/finish...I'm getting to the stage where the more beautiful rooms I see the worse its getting! thanks Roger!

I really love how nicely integrated the diffusers are in this build, they really look the part, not just stuck to the wall with double sides tape type look.

Sorry, yet also pleased to cause you stress on the aesthetics decision. I have to thank my wife for helping on all that. I subscribed to your thread to watch the progress, as your room is the same size as mine. With such rigid walls, I'm curious to see how the bass performance will come out. We can continue that discussion at your thread if you like.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #45 of 282 Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

It's hard to quantify, but I do feel it is very effective and worthwhile. I'd use it again. I was not able to do a before/after test, since the Quiet Rock had to be installed before the door installation was completed. I'm not as sure about the effectiveness of the Green Glue, but it's in the sandwich nonetheless.

Good luck with the project. Gotta keep those neighbors happy!

Thanks for the response Roger. I have heard great things about Quiet Rock and Green Glue. I suppose if you aren't hearing much of your HT outside of your room, then the components are doing their job. I would imagine using Quiet Rock will yield results far better than my current drywall does. Luckily, noise isn't much of a problem at my house, just want to make it even better.

I like Ice Cream!
post #46 of 282 Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Great room, equipment, and aesthetics!!! So nicely done in such a small space too. Thanks for the inspiration...

creative>energy

post #47 of 282 Old 06-26-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Roger,

Any updates? photos please

I saw you talking about new chairs a while back and also multiple subs - how's that coming along/gone?

Anything you'd do differently with the same space next time round?

Still happy with the location of the back wall/corner rears?

My progress is slow, I need some inspiration

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #48 of 282 Old 06-26-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Roger,

Any updates? photos please

I saw you talking about new chairs a while back and also multiple subs - how's that coming along/gone?

Anything you'd do differently with the same space next time round?

Still happy with the location of the back wall/corner rears?

My progress is slow, I need some inspiration

Good to hear from you. There's not much to show since these pix. Here's what's been going on:

1) Been working with Classe to find and kill the remaining bugs. My list has been exhausted--none left for me! That's 18 bugs gone. Nirvana comes as V2.03.

2) I added a 30 Hz crossover to better define the subwoofer roles. I posted details in another thread.

3) What would I do differently? Put the room on its own HVAC zone from the start. Luckily for me Mr. Slim will allow me to do so after the fact. It will not be the usual on-wall unit, but a ducted unit up in the attic, so no vibration/noise will intrude. I'll reuse the existing ducts in/out so nothing changes aesthetically. Install is in 2 weeks.

Yes, I'm still happy with the rear speaker locations. I did have to pull them off the wall and remount the boxes with some rubber pads between, as they caused a buzz with the drywall with certain bass notes. Solved!

All I can say is have faith--the results will merit all the work/pain/cost.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #49 of 282 Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Aerial SW12 has been replaced by 4 Hsu ULS-15 subs. Better headroom!

It necessitated some reconfiguration of the BassQ, since it rolls off pretty fast <20 Hz, and I wanted to see what was down there.
LL
LL
LL

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #50 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 12:35 AM

+1 for Deadwood.

Your acoustic wall treatment. Custom made or panels you bought?
post #51 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmove View Post
+1 for Deadwood.

Your acoustic wall treatment. Custom made or panels you bought?
Thanks.

I bought all the treatments--mostly from AcousticsFirst, but some others, too. I updated post #3 where all are listed.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #52 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Roger:

Very interesting particularly as I too am using multiple subwoofers...that said, what is the most noticeable difference that you are experiencing...

Yikes, those subwoofers go down to 15Hz and you have 4 of them...that said, which do you have, the single drive, the dual drive or the quad drive...and, I hope that your fillings do not come loose...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #53 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 10:18 AM
llj

Roger,

As with most of us lurking around here, you were tasked with shoehorning your theater into a non ideal space with a finite budget. I think you made some outstanding tradeoffs!

I love your clean and elegant approach to the design. I especially like your couches and that you didn't succumb to those tacky, overdone "theater recliners".

Even my "I don't want a theater" wife likes your room!

I've been thrashing about for awhile trying to come up with a theme for my own theater. As they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I hope you don't mind.

And finally, I know this question was asked about a year ago, but now that you've had some time with your theater, have you had any trouble with your hinged soffits rattling?

Thanks again for sharing your work.

Leith

llj
post #54 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Roger,

How do you like the Hsu subs? I've had my eye on those for over a year and am lobbying with the boss to allow me to upgrade I would go with 2 though, don't want to push my luck! Merry Christmas!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #55 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Very interesting particularly as I too am using multiple subwoofers...that said, what is the most noticeable difference that you are experiencing...

The transition for a single sub to "4 subs" happened a year ago when I first got the BassQ installed. But in that case I used the main speakers as ersatz midbass subs and the Aerial SW12 as a "ULF" sub below 30 Hz. The sound was great, the room modes tamed, but there was inadequate headroom for movies. Changing to 4 real subs and retuning got me back to essentially the same sound quality, but lots more headroom.

Quote:

Yikes, those subwoofers go down to 15Hz and you have 4 of them...that said, which do you have, the single drive, the dual drive or the quad drive...and, I hope that your fillings do not come loose...

The "quad drive" is just Hsu-speak for 4 units bought with the group discount.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #56 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Roger,

How do you like the Hsu subs? I've had my eye on those for over a year and am lobbying with the boss to allow me to upgrade I would go with 2 though, don't want to push my luck!

I really like these subs, not only for how they sound, but for their total absence of unwanted sounds, like rattles, chuffing, buzz, hum, turn-on thumps.

Originally I had them set to auto turn on, but they were not sensitive enough to turn on right away. So I just leave them in the on position all the time. I asked Hsu what is the difference in current draw between standby and On with no signal, and they said zero. It's really on all the time, just muted. The BASH amps draw almost nothing until the cones are moving. The heatsink never even warms up.

I also like that a 15" driver fits into a small-ish box. I only see two of them, and they do not seem imposing at all.

Lastly, I think the magnetic grills are brilliant. Easy on and off, but totally secure, and no plastic pins to break or loosen with vibration.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #57 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post

As with most of us lurking around here, you were tasked with shoehorning your theater into a non ideal space with a finite budget. I think you made some outstanding tradeoffs!

Hi Leith,

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, as in your case, the wife has a say in the design, and mine was very happy with the results, even helping with some accessories and the arch timber design.

Quote:

I love your clean and elegant approach to the design. I especially like your couches and that you didn't succumb to those tacky, overdone "theater recliners".

It was partly due to limited space, and partly due to limited attraction to over-stuffed chairs. I wanted the utility of good theater seats, with reclining backs for each, but the backs had to be shoulder height so as to prevent occluding the surrounds. High back seats do block the surround sound, especially the rears.

Quote:

Even my "I don't want a theater" wife likes your room!

I've been thrashing about for awhile trying to come up with a theme for my own theater. As they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I hope you don't mind.

No at all. I am indeed flattered.

Quote:

And finally, I know this question was asked about a year ago, but now that you've had some time with your theater, have you had any trouble with your hinged soffits rattling?

Nope. Totally trouble free. The only thing I found rattling was the siding on the exterior wall. At first I thought it was a romex cable hitting the wallboard, but luckily it was exterior, so I could glue it down. Who'dda thunk?

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #58 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Roger,

Merry Christmas and all that

Room still looks the part!......still one of my fav's on AVS

I thought you were getting new chairs at some point this year?

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #59 of 282 Old 12-24-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Roger,

Merry Christmas and all that

Room still looks the part!......still one of my fav's on AVS

I thought you were getting new chairs at some point this year?

Thanks--season's greeting to you, too.

Nope, I'm into the Stressless seating for the long haul.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #60 of 282 Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

I really like these subs, not only for how they sound, but for their total absence of unwanted sounds, like rattles, chuffing, buzz, hum, turn-on thumps.

Originally I had them set to auto turn on, but they were not sensitive enough to turn on right away. So I just leave them in the on position all the time. I asked Hsu what is the difference in current draw between standby and On with no signal, and they said zero. It's really on all the time, just muted. The BASH amps draw almost nothing until the cones are moving. The heatsink never even warms up.

I also like that a 15" driver fits into a small-ish box. I only see two of them, and they do not seem imposing at all.

Lastly, I think the magnetic grills are brilliant. Easy on and off, but totally secure, and no plastic pins to break or loosen with vibration.

Roger,

Merry Christmas. One last thing, are you using the wireless functionality? If so, how well does it work?

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction