11Likes

post #91 of 185 Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

I noticed that many of the posts on the first page refer to pictures that don't seem to be there anymore. I am logged in so I should be able to see them, but I don't even see broken links. For example the whole first 30 posts there is the picture in the first post and later a picture of your CAD drawing of the soffits. Did the pictures go somewhere?

I can see many more pictures now. I am home on my cable modem. I was on a public wi-fi network at the hospital and even though they told me it was pretty much wide open, I am thinking something was wrong. Thanks! I'll fix my orig post to say it's not a problem so nobody gets worried when they read it. wink.gif

So now I can say I love the posts and love the pics!

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 185 Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Someday I hope to hear a D2v in a nice system to get a sense of what ARC does.

You're not that far away from me, you're welcome up anytime you want!

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 185 Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

You're not that far away from me, you're welcome up anytime you want!
You are most gracious. I may seriously take you up on that, sir! Just a pleasant 6 hour drive away...

Roger

post #94 of 185 Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome anytime Roger. Given your expertise and experience, I would love to get your thoughts on the room and the sound. Would love to come down your way and hear your room at some point as well.

Senior Video Editor

post #95 of 185 Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

You're welcome anytime Roger. Given your expertise and experience, I would love to get your thoughts on the room and the sound. Would love to come down your way and hear your room at some point as well.
As Bend is not on the way to anywhere, we do not get too many folks stopping by, so it would equally be a pleasure to have you visit my humble theater. At least I can offer you some world-class beer! wink.gif

Roger

post #96 of 185 Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I just looked on google maps at the Bend area. You really do live in the sticks!! Why Bend? Do you guys have other family out there? I have a lot of family in the Portland area, which is where my parents grew up.

Senior Video Editor

post #97 of 185 Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^ We'd vacationed near here for many years (Camp Sherman along the Metolius river), and got to liking the high desert climate as a good place to be in semi-retirement. Clear air, pine/juniper trees, moderate precipitation with lots of sunny days, and abundant water that tastes great (say as opposed to AZ, NV or CA).

Roger

post #98 of 185 Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Roger,
Somehow, I've never commented here in this thread. That said, I really enjoy the simple, well executed approach you've taken. Both aesthetically, and hardware, I just really like what you've done here,... bravo. Also, your tech knowledge shared elsewhere is always appreciated.
Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #99 of 185 Old 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Roger,
Somehow, I've never commented here in this thread. That said, I really enjoy the simple, well executed approach you've taken. Both aesthetically, and hardware, I just really like what you've done here,... bravo. Also, your tech knowledge shared elsewhere is always appreciated.
Thanks
Thank you kindly for this and your post at JapanDave's thread.

Roger

post #100 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Stunning, I'm very impressed!
post #101 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Scott Simonian likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #102 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Liked: 14
great set up!! do you have any details on the seating? i will have a similar sized room in our new house and like the look and size of what you have there - i have 6 comfy/plush seats - how does your seating feel for a 2-3 hour movie - i am used to sinking in and relaxing but what you have will make some of my design issues go away -

thanks for all the info and pics!

i have only seen season one of deadwood and loved it!

post #103 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

great set up!! do you have any details on the seating? i will have a similar sized room in our new house and like the look and size of what you have there - i have 6 comfy/plush seats - how does your seating feel for a 2-3 hour movie - i am used to sinking in and relaxing but what you have will make some of my design issues go away -

thanks for all the info and pics!

i have only seen season one of deadwood and loved it!
Thanks much for the comments.

The seating is Ekornes Stressless Arion 3-seat recliner. They feel on the firmer side, not like car seat but you get that same sense of support and long term comfort. And since the backs can recline, it lets each person adjust as they like or change on the fly.

Because I did not have room in the rear row for footrests, I left more generous space than in a typical theater. So 2 hours is tolerable. But I prefer to sit in front where I can put my feet up on the ottoman. I can spend all day that way with no problem.

They do make a version with higher backs/headrests, but I deliberately chose the "low back" which is shoulder height. This ensures no blockage of the back speakers, which in my case are elevated 20 degrees. If yours are higher you might not have any issue with a higher seat.

Roger

post #104 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well, I already have a regret in my theater design. I should have gone with your swing down soffits. What a great idea. Someday I will make a post in the "What I would do differently next time" thread and that will be included. Of course there won't be a next time for me but others can learn from my mistakes.

So what kind of world class beer are you pouring these days?

post #105 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:

I deliberately chose the "low back" which is shoulder height. This ensures no blockage of the back speakers, which in my case are elevated 20 degrees.
Know plenty of people that have high-back home theatre seating with headrests that are higher than ear level. They're also the ones that complain they don't hear much difference between 5.1 and 7.1 playback. Former home theatre designer Russ Herschelman used to make a point of educating clients about "low back" seating.

I see the same thing in commercial theatres. When Surround EX first showed up in the late '90s, seat backs went up to my shoulders and I could hear distinct sounds behind me. Now, with high-backs and stadium seating, it's much more difficult to hear rear imaging.

Sanjay
post #106 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Well, I already have a regret in my theater design. I should have gone with your swing down soffits. What a great idea. Someday I will make a post in the "What I would do differently next time" thread and that will be included. Of course there won't be a next time for me but others can learn from my mistakes.
Same boat with my own list of wouldda couldda... and no likely "next time" either. Like a slightly larger room, and a slightly whiter screen. I was paranoid about getting deep blacks, but that was not really an issue with the JVC PJ. It's not a grey screen but not perfectly white either.
Quote:
So what kind of world class beer are you pouring these days?
It's usually Deschutes Brewing Cascade Ale, but there's a new brew in town that is quite good, a worthy addition as we say here. Link. rolleyes.gif

Roger

post #107 of 185 Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Uncanny timing! I just discovered Deschutes Red Chair NWPA last week. It was fantastic. And hard to find in these parts. It could be my favorite "hoppy" beer. They got it just right. I checked out the Worthy site and the pictures and descriptions look amazing. They said they were bottling in June so maybe there is hope for me.

Now this discussion of high vs low backed chairs has me thinking (about more than red chair). Ideally, I would eventually purchase theater recliners and well........recline. It would take a fairly high backed chair to offer head support. So after reclining would the "line of sight" to my ears be favorable if the speakers were mounted from 5'9'' to 6'9''?

post #108 of 185 Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Ideally, I would eventually purchase theater recliners and well........recline. It would take a fairly high backed chair to offer head support. So after reclining would the "line of sight" to my ears be favorable if the speakers were mounted from 5'9'' to 6'9''?
The more you recline, the more you really need the headrest, and the less likely the headrest will be in the path. Some very cushy seats let your head sink in deep, occluding the rear sounds that much more. frown.gif

Maybe a firmer headrest, or a narrower one, would do better. Why don't they make theater seats like cars, where the headrest is quite compact and can be adjusted?

Roger

post #109 of 185 Old 06-09-2013, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Why don't they make theater seats like cars, where the headrest is quite compact and can be adjusted?

Sadly Recaro Home has gone out of business.....shame Stressless dont make these in a sofa:

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #110 of 185 Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I love these very nice, http://www.thosmoser.com/inc/scripts/file.php?file_id=9127

My humble Cinema
post #111 of 185 Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Very impressive setup Roger! A clean and well thought out system like yours is what I aspire to achieve someday. I have many more mistakes to make before I gain that kind of know-how smile.gif

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

post #112 of 185 Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Noman,

I believe making mistakes is a great source of learning. It's my M.O.!

Thanks for the kind comments. If you have questions on your future build, let me know if I can help.

Roger

post #113 of 185 Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Hi Noman,

I believe making mistakes is a great source of learning. It's my M.O.!

Thanks for the kind comments. If you have questions on your future build, let me know if I can help.

Roger's room was a huge influence in my build. I hope to some day get a chance to see and listen to his room.
post #114 of 185 Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Roger,

Your setup looks great. Congratulations!

A decade plus ago, in my twenties, I was eagerly awaiting the outboard AC-3 processor to ship for my Onkyo receiver. It had been delayed multiple times, and in frustration I had reached out to you. We exchanged a few emails on the subject and you encouraged me to be patient. It was well worth it and the continuation of a growing home theater passion. I remember expressing how cool it was to be able to actually connect with you, at Dolby, via that relatively new internet.

When Atmos was coming to the theaters this year, I did a Google search to understand what it was and found some of your discussions on the subject. Then I saw that you had moved to Oregon and have been meaning to send you a note of thanks and a welcome to my home state of Oregon. I noticed today that Ray Dolby had passed away and reminded me that I needed thank you for your work and contributions to the community. And also to pass along the long overdue welcome to Oregon. Ironically, I am back to an Integra processor in my dedicated theater driving Martin Logans (2 CLX, 1 Logos, 4 SL3s, 2 Scripts) and a Sony projector.

You are welcome at my place in Portland to see how my home theater obsession has grown over the years anytime.

Thank you and best of luck.

Brian
Now impatiently waiting for the upgrade to Atmos
post #115 of 185 Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your post. It's always nice to be welcomed to Oregon, especially as I drove in with CA plates! Since the daughter works in Salem, we do get "over the hill" every so often, and Portland is often on the agenda for a dose of PF Changs. I'm also looking forward to visiting Doublewing11 as he is just completing a swell theater. I'll let you know when a trip is in the offing. Bend seems to be strategically located directly on the path to nowhere, so not many pass this way, but if you do, please let me know.

The news of Ray gets one to thinking about the early days when he'd stop by the cube to chat -- totally down-to-earth guy. This came just one day after a visit with another pioneer, Jim Fosgate. Been to his home several times but this was a just the most delightful in memory.

Roger

post #116 of 185 Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your post. It's always nice to be welcomed to Oregon, especially as I drove in with CA plates! Since the daughter works in Salem, we do get "over the hill" every so often, and Portland is often on the agenda for a dose of PF Changs. I'm also looking forward to visiting Doublewing11 as he is just completing a swell theater. I'll let you know when a trip is in the offing. Bend seems to be strategically located directly on the path to nowhere, so not many pass this way, but if you do, please let me know.

The news of Ray gets one to thinking about the early days when he'd stop by the cube to chat -- totally down-to-earth guy. This came just one day after a visit with another pioneer, Jim Fosgate. Been to his home several times but this was a just the most delightful in memory.

Glad you had a chance to visit Roger......................and believe me, the pleasure was mine!! wink.gif

I will most definitely apply your suggestions.............given time, hope to receive your seal of approval. In addition, I'm really looking forward to having a listen in your room.........................don't expect any helpful suggestions from me, I suspect your room sounds/looks exemplary!!! wink.gif

One again, appreciated your visit and please do stop by when ever possible.....................you and your family are always welcome!!!

My Build Threads

post #117 of 185 Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Liked: 15
I am considering converting a single car garage in my home that is approximately 11 ' X 17'. Seeing and reading about how you approached the dimensions of the room to meet your needs is very helpful. Thank you for posting your theater!!
post #118 of 185 Old 04-30-2014, 03:48 AM

Liked: 10
Roger,

First, awesome job and I really like how you tackled the soffit. Now that its been a while, I was wondering a couple of things, as I'm looking to take the same approach with my soffits.

Do you still like the soffit opening down versus up?

Where those 170 degree Blum hinges?

How have they held up since installed?

Have you see other soffits like yours?

Thanks man,

Brad

Brad
post #119 of 185 Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpassman View Post

Roger,

First, awesome job and I really like how you tackled the soffit. Now that its been a while, I was wondering a couple of things, as I'm looking to take the same approach with my soffits.

Do you still like the soffit opening down versus up?
Thanks, Brad.
Yes, I like the soffits opening down for 2 reasons. They are mounted to the frame that holds the lights, rather than the ceiling. And they stay open, no need for something to hold it up when going inside.
Quote:
Where those 170 degree Blum hinges? How have they held up since installed?
They are Blum 170 deg. 71T6550, self-closing. Used one every 3 feet along the soffit. They work just as hoped, the self closing springs keep them from vibrating.

And of course they can be complete removed if needed like any "clip hinge" cabinet door.
Quote:
Have you seen other soffits like yours?
No, but I have not really looked either.

Good luck on the project. Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Roger

post #120 of 185 Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Roger, your theater is very appealing; both in the theater itself and with your choice of electronics. I almost went with multiple ULS15 subs, but, went with a single submersive instead. The classe ssp800 is on my wish list.

I know the SSP has an on-board PEQ; are you still using your BassQ along with the SSP's PEQ?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page