post #211 of 214 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
I am disadvantaging Atmos by not moving all the surrounds down to ear level to better delineate the benefits of the height speakers.
Like not moving the surround speakers forward when adding surround back speakers, and then not hearing the level of difference others have been describing.
Quote:
No dubbing stages and no movie theaters have surrounds at ear level. Why should I?
To get greater above-vs-around separation than a commercial systme, IF you fancy that.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 214 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
I agree 100% with both statements. However, they are not related.

According to Brian Vessa, Executive Director, Digital Audio Mastering, Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Chair of SMPTE 25CSS (where all the work on immersive cinema standards is happening), the definition of mixer's intent is what the mixer heard when he mixed the soundtrack. This may seem so obvious that it should go unsaid.
The mixer can only mix within the constraints of the reproduction system (dubbing stage). That's why I've said "director's intent". It's not the same.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #213 of 214 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
Quote:
I think we have to look at separation in terms of directional angles, not linear distance. Dolby's cinema guidelines say the angular separation should be at least 30-35° for cinemas that have their surrounds elevated 20-30°. I meet that criteria. BTW, I heard very nice overhead effects at the Arclight cinema, before they installed Atmos. It's clearly better, in cinemas and my home, with the Atmos speakers.
No disagreement about angles. But if the surrounds are above the listener's head, I'd expect him to hear sounds coming from above. Indeed, when we didn’t have speakers physically above, having the surrounds somewhat higher than head height was the only way to extend the 'bubble' vertically. But now we don't need to do that because we have actual speakers above us to handle any content that needs to come from above. Now we can have the sounds 'around' us coming from around us (with lowered surrounds) and sounds above us coming from above us.

Quote:
The problem with "proper" is that we have two conflicting definitions. What's proper for the goose in not proper for the gander. (My need to maintain a proper presentation for non-height listening.)
Yes, I fully agree with that - in my case, the HT is movies only (makes life so much simpler). If I listened to a lot of non-movie content, I'd also want to optimise for that as much as possible. And if most of my listening was music then I’d definitely optimise for that of course.

Quote:
Are you kidding? It's so great to hear from interested and interesting people to talk with about these matters. I have found no one in my little (ice)berg who remotely cares about this stuff.
Well YKWIM Here's me, a former advertising Creative Director, and there's you, a former guy who spent 25 years working for the very people whose product we are discussing...
post #214 of 214 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Like not moving the surround speakers forward when adding surround back speakers, and then not hearing the level of difference others have been describing.
Well, at least in the case of the 5.1 vs, 7.1, the two conditions are both justified by actual practice. In the case of lowering surrounds for Atmos, there is no precedent, just the expediency to improve the apparent benefit of the new features (height speakers and upmixing).

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page