The Zen Garden HT - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 428 Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm not sure but the picture of the man jumping the flame does not appear to be very Zen like, but hey what do I know? I would think someone who jumps a flame in a Zen like manner would have a much more calm like demeanor about them.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 428 Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did you like the Warrior Dash? I didn't get to do it this year. I have started running again though, and hope to get to it next year, and maybe the Tough Mudder in June (9 miles, and way more and bigger obstacles).

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #393 of 428 Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Yeah. Busy.

With those ladies chasing you, it reminds me of this Meaning of Life scene, where the accused gets to choose his method of death.

Me jumping over fire makes you think of Monty Python...not sure if that is good or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDouche View Post

Hey there Audixium, i tried to send you a pm but your pm box is full. Can you clear it out so i can ask you a question real quick? Thanks man.

Well, I'm about 150 PMs over the limit so it might be a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I'm not sure but the picture of the man jumping the flame does not appear to be very Zen like, but hey what do I know? I would think someone who jumps a flame in a Zen like manner would have a much more calm like demeanor about them.

Regards,

RTROSE

That's why I said I've been working on my form. It was not in a completed state. My reaction was definitely not zen like at the time as the flame shot up into my crotch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Did you like the Warrior Dash? I didn't get to do it this year. I have started running again though, and hope to get to it next year, and maybe the Tough Mudder in June (9 miles, and way more and bigger obstacles).

One of the gals who was with us did it last year at Copper and said the obstacles this year were way more challenging. The entire race I said "I'm never doing this again". The beer and turkey leg afterwards relaxed my attitude.

Then the entire ride home my buddies kept planning for next year. I get home and my son reminds me that I promised to take him next year. We registered him in January, but due to a surgical site not healing the docs said he couldn't participate (gee, why wouldn't you want so submerge an open wound in mud that hundreds of other people have crawled through?).

I'm glad I did it. But no way am I signing up for the Tough Mudder or Spartan Race. I'll stick with the Warrior Dash if I must do something that degrading.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #394 of 428 Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I will probably try the warrior again next year too. Gotta have something to work towards, or I will never get out and run.

I actually met some friends last night for a moonlight run. Night time, full moon, was actually a great time. Even saw 5 deer on the side of our path. Although, My firends are marathoders, and 2 of them signed up for the Canada full Ironman next year, and one of the guys just finished a 100 mile run a little bit ago, they still cruised at my pace and we had a surprisingly fun time (for exercise).

I would love to take my son on the Warrior Dash, but he is only 6 (will be 7 by the time the next one is on)

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #395 of 428 Old 09-13-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I would love to take my son on the Warrior Dash, but he is only 6 (will be 7 by the time the next one is on)

If he is anything like my kids where when they were 7, you defiantly don't want to take him with you. There is nothing so embarrassing as being run into the ground by a 7-year old.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #396 of 428 Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:

A friend of mine talk me into doing Tough Mudder in May in VT. I am not much of a runner, but I am halfway into couch to 5K and hope I have enough time to get ready. It looks daunting.
post #397 of 428 Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

If he is anything like my kids where when they were 7, you defiantly don't want to take him with you. There is nothing so embarrassing as being run into the ground by a 7-year old.

Beer, he has run with me once, and he is just like his daddy... slow, now he just takes his bike along. I get a good workout, cause I have to push him up the hills, and I have to drag the 70 pound dog whenever she sees a rabbt, bird, or other dog. But you must be 14 to be in the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

A friend of mine talk me into doing Tough Mudder in May in VT. I am not much of a runner, but I am halfway into couch to 5K and hope I have enough time to get ready. It looks daunting.

I just found out I have high cholesterol, so I need to be doing something. So I am looking at the Tough Mudder in June, Warrior Dash in August, Colfax 1/2 marathon in May, maybe the Boulder Boulder in May, and the Rock and Roll full marathon by next October. I have been doing 2-3 miles daily, and just went 4 1/4 last night, so by next May I should be good to go.

A friend who did the Mudder this last June said the obstacles in Colorado were no more than 1 mile apart, and when you get to the obstacles, there are allot of people to help each other, as there is no way I am climbing multiple 12 foot walls without help. There was a half pipe you had to climb, and he collapsed with cramps. He said 2 guys he didn't know grabbed him and lifted him up. (of course he is a skinny dude. Would definitely take more than 2 to lift me)

I did the couch to 10 k a few years ago for the boulder boulder, and I was surprised I could go the whole distance. Now I have some marathoners and Iron man friends who are helping push me along some too, and giving me tips when I ask, so that helps also. I am about 3 weeks into my couch to the rest of my life phase right now, and it feels pretty good.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #398 of 428 Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:

A friend who did the Mudder this last June said the obstacles in Colorado were no more than 1 mile apart, and when you get to the obstacles, there are allot of people to help each other, as there is no way I am climbing multiple 12 foot walls without help.

My friend has put together a little team. But we'll see if we pace right to stick together. I am running in the 'burbs right now, and I am impressed how much worse the hills are to the flat, so that part of TM concerns me a lot more than the obstacles, which I think appear to be challenges to break up the run. Much worse than on a bike which was my preferred form of exercise about 10 years ago.

I have been counting calories and getting in shape for a while (40 lbs down over a bit more than a year, 30-40 to go), but I hit a plateau, so I needed a goal. This will do. Congrats on getting moving again.
post #399 of 428 Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear you on the hills. I train here in Denver at about 6000 feet elevation. when we did the Warrior Dash it starts at just under 10,000 feet. The Tough Mudder is the same.

One word of advice one of the marathoners gave me, is it doesn't matter if you run or walk, just as long as you are not standing still.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #400 of 428 Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

One word of advice one of the marathoners gave me, is it doesn't matter if you run or walk, just as long as you are not standing still.

Similar to what my old man used to tell me: falling on your face is still moving forward.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #401 of 428 Old 11-12-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I'm going to venture back down into the cave and make a push through drywall completion...which means revisiting the plans.

Now that I've switched to a Mac I realized I can't load my Visio diagrams! Anyone know of a good alternative? I'll go ahead and install a VM w/Windows 7 and Visio, but in the meantime I'd like to at least get a snapshot of my tabs on the Mac.

post #402 of 428 Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, the Zen master returns. Welcome back. Now get to work!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #403 of 428 Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Ah yes, I have fond memories of wishing I would finish by my two year anniversary ... WTF was I thinking?!? Now I'll just settle for finishing ... eventually.

My two year anniversary is in two weeks. And...

Quote:

Just make sure yu aren't talking about framing in another 6 months...

Yikes! Try another 18 months. ButI keep trying Moggie's method hoping persistence will pay off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Well, I've been studying hard.

But my theater refuses to build itself. What am I doing wrong?

So now that I've gone through everything and reacquainted myself with where I am at it doesn't look good. I guess I need to work out the HVAC approach and get to my rough frame inspection. That means framing, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing. Here goes nothing...

post #404 of 428 Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

My two year anniversary is in two weeks. And...

Yikes! Try another 18 months. ButI keep trying Moggie's method hoping persistence will pay off:

So now that I've gone through everything and reacquainted myself with where I am at it doesn't look good. I guess I need to work out the HVAC approach and get to my rough frame inspection. That means framing, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing. Here goes nothing...

So what are "We" building again? It has been so long I forgot. In all honesty I feel for you. My build has taken so long with periods of inactivity of months that I truly forget where I have left off and have to take inventory of things before I get back to action. I have no fear that the Zen master will be at the top of his game and get back into the swing of things.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #405 of 428 Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Zen is about simplifying.

Hire someone.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #406 of 428 Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 10
As a fellow Coloradoan I am subscribed.
post #407 of 428 Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2229 View Post

As a fellow Coloradoan I am subscribed.

I hope you have the patience of a Zen master...

I actually have a contractor coming over today. He thinks he's coming over to give me an estimate for some deck work. Little does he know I'm going to take him into the basement and convince him to do some theater work on the cheap.

Would you believe my wife asked one of those TV shows (Rescue Renovation) to come finish this for me? The nerve!

post #408 of 428 Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope you have the patience of a Zen master...

I actually have a contractor coming over today. He thinks he's coming over to give me an estimate for some deck work. Little does he know I'm going to take him into the basement and convince him to do some theater work on the cheap.

Would you believe my wife asked one of those TV shows (Rescue Renovation) to come finish this for me? The nerve!

Whoa! Like a Phoenix he rises again. Woooo Hooo!!!!! I know how you feel, my wife said the very same thing, just that yours went the extra step.

Be interested to hear what your contractor has to say.

Glad to see you're back. Well sort of.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #409 of 428 Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Make sure he doesn't use Trex for the bass traps.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #410 of 428 Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That made me laugh out loud! During my build, my wife jokingly wondered the same thing. It was during the drywall finishing doldrums. I didn't find it funny.

She went back to sanding with her eye on the prize (a finished basement, not a new husband)!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #411 of 428 Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

A Zen shout-out for my recently resurrected homey:

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #412 of 428 Old 03-27-2012, 12:58 PM

So ...
post #413 of 428 Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM

knock knock ??
post #414 of 428 Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Who's there?

Zen

Zen who?

God Bless You!

Sorry, could not resist! biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

post #415 of 428 Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you hear the koan about the Zen theater build?

The path to completion starts with a single nail.

post #416 of 428 Old 09-11-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

ace_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Zenny? You in there?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #417 of 428 Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shhhhhhhh! I'm busy doing nothing...

Well we decided to move once the oldest graduates high school (two years from now). So I have a decision to make...finish the basement off like most people would or stay as close as possible to the original plan without just burning money.

The next house will likely be custom so I'll have a fair amount of flexibility with dimensions and layout. It may end up the "forever house" so I am leaning towards just paying some cheap labor to do the minimum in the current basement.

Votes?

post #418 of 428 Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Do the minimum IMHO if you are 100% you are going to move in two years.
post #419 of 428 Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Agree. You'll have enough to think about, so just doing the minimum and getting it done will be one less thing.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #420 of 428 Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Minimum effort, no contest. Pick up the phone and get it done.

Denver?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page