The Zen Garden HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 428 Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

EDIT: I put a 150" diag 16:9 screen in my living room. So that whole "don't hang the projector before you are done" thing is a bit of a problem in my case.

 

In the most zen-like way possible my build thread starts...calm, clear, pure, wide open.


The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 428 Old 09-16-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
EDIT: at first, this thread literally only had the above statement. Since then I've edited quite a bit adding pics and comments.



After much back and forth, I decided to be at one with my basement structure. This includes NOT doing things I had planned originally - move the furnace back a few feet, move the HVAC trunks, move the lally column, move the bathroom rough-in. Instead, I will approach this as v1.0 knowing that we'll move in about six years. At that point, our first kid will be out of the house and it will be way too big for three people. And then we can build something with a 9' basement pour.

My current plan is to use the 27'x19' space with the screenwall on the upper right. I'll upload an updated basic floorplan that includes the window locations later. Having the room here puts that lally column right behind the first row but that's ok (Zen, remember). Instead of a second row of seats I plan to do a bar like the Getaway. More to follow once I give my mind another chance to clear...

I'm going to use this post as a bookmark for myself. Thanks CJO for providing a great example. But I'm just going for the free flow...

Best representation of style
I love the wood treatment in Steve's theater (swithey). This photo shows the combination of that wood tone and some tile work we saw while in Puerto Vallarta recently. Not sure how I'm going to incorporate them, but this is the goal (of course with more black ).


EDIT #1>
Here is the column style, and wood species/finish that I'm after:



I like Steve's grooves with metal inserts. But I might just go with grooves. The grooves in the wall in this pic have nothing but stain, while the bar has a painted accent.



EDIT #3>

Current Layout


Screen Wall




Left Wall


Right Wall


Rear Wall

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #3 of 428 Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
antwon412's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
cant be much more pure then and empty thread

take lots of pics, we all love those!


*edit - when i was at work all the posts just said reserved. im not crazy*

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
antwon412 is offline  
post #4 of 428 Old 09-16-2009, 05:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,655
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
ohmmmmmmm, ohmmmmmm I am in my quiet place. I am connected to the universe. I am in tune with the rhythm of the planets.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #5 of 428 Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

ohmmmmmmm, ohmmmmmm I am in my quiet place. I am connected to the universe. I am in tune with the rhythm of the planets.

Ok, this is a very good sign. Since you are now at your best...how about you grab a napkin? Pretty please?

Oh, and I updated the first post...I'm kinda embracing the free flowing universe.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #6 of 428 Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,655
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Zen Master, what ceiling heights are we talking about under the joists, the beam and the ductwork.

I feel inspired by your choice of materials and colors, it is going to take a while for me to make a meaningful contribution (via napkin.net) as I am pretty committed for the next 10 days other than some texting.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #7 of 428 Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Zen Master, what ceiling heights are we talking about under the joists, the beam and the ductwork.

I feel inspired by your choice of materials and colors, it is going to take a while for me to make a meaningful contribution (via napkin.net) as I am pretty committed for the next 10 days other than some texting.

Unfortunately it is exactly 8' from concrete to joist. If I decide to do as Ted has suggested (RSIC-DC04 to attach walls to joists, whisperclips and channel for ceiling drywall, no clips on walls as they will be decoupled from the rest of the basement) and a subfloor of about an inch I think my finished dimension will be between 7'8" and 7'10".

Your timing is taking a universal drink of nature...flowing as the river runs. This weekend I will be extending my mind clearing exercise to the clutter clearing in the basement.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #8 of 428 Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,655
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
What about the beam and the ductwork?
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #9 of 428 Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

What about the beam and the ductwork?

Beam: subtract 9 5/8"
Trunks: subtract 8"

Ask and you shall receive...



And yes, I measured all the joists... that may not be exactly in the Zen tradition. But hey, all that anal stuff is what got me to this point of accepting things the way they are.


The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #10 of 428 Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Intended Uses - Current
"Turn it down!" - nuff said

Normally it is only me watching after everyone has gone to bed on the second floor. The content ranges from 2.3x:1 movies to HDTV Lost, BSG, Rome, Deadwood, Weeds, etc. Sometimes it is me and my 12 year old watching action or epic flicks on the weekend. Every NFL Sunday it is me and the wife YELLING at the Broncos, and occasionally cheering. Sometimes a buddy or two comes over for the game. I watched every Denver Nugget game over the last three seasons. I don't really do Baseball or Hockey unless the local team is in the playoffs.

So I watch a lot of HDTV content, which is why I went with that format in my living room (at 150" diag).

Future Uses
I can see where my son or daughter (3yrs) would have friends over. But, I'm not trying to be the local cineplex. I just want to have my own space. If it works for others - great!

2CH listening room - Here is where it gets tricky
I want to be able to have a (somewhat) critical listening room for 2 channel music. So I might need to have two sets of L/R speakers depending on what I decide (Klipsch lovers don't get much love in pure 2CH audio).

"Ramble On"

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #11 of 428 Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,655
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
How do you feel about covering some of the windows? Other than a theater space what else do you want to carve out? Do you have a tentative floor plan of the interior walls?
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #12 of 428 Old 09-18-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oman321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MASS
Posts: 4,679
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I feel so relaxed after reading the start of this thread. Your like the Anti-Logan Audixium.
oman321 is offline  
post #13 of 428 Old 09-18-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swithey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D/FW, TX
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the look for the room!! My wife would be all over this design. I can't wait to see it come together.

Have you selected the species of wood for your columns and trim work? Maple looks like a it might be a good fit.

Hmm, after seeing this, I may have the Swithey HT v2.0 design for my next house Thread officially bookmarked
swithey is offline  
post #14 of 428 Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post

*edit - when i was at work all the posts just said reserved. im not crazy*

Just be at one with your insanity...just kidding. The thread really was empty in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

How do you feel about covering some of the windows? Other than a theater space what else do you want to carve out? Do you have a tentative floor plan of the interior walls?

The window "treatments" depend how far I go on isolation. I'm fine with framing over the one on the screenwall. The other two will get fancy plugs.

Other things in this 27'x19' space? Well, I had initially thought about a bar against the back wall. That would be front row, 2nd row bar like Getaway or third row in Big Red, then a full bar. I'm still not decided. I'd say more than 50% of the use with visitors will be for sporting events. So having the two bar areas (like your place) would help these folks be at peace with the resulting games.

Floor plan? I've scrapped at least 10 Visio plans, more than 10 hand drawn plans, and at least five Sketchup plans. Do I have a current one? Maybe I'll share it this weekend after some cleanup.

The plans are one of the reasons I'm embracing the stillness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I feel so relaxed after reading the start of this thread. Your like the Anti-Logan Audixium.

Breathe in, exhale....breathe in, exhale....now, I want you to go to your happy place. All is calm, turbulence is no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Have you selected the species of wood for your columns and trim work? Maple looks like a it might be a good fit.

Species? I'm just hoping it isn't alien. I'll tap your expertise when I get to that point. You are clearly a master who is one with the saw, sand, and stain.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #15 of 428 Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is the most recent revision...

I think my biggest problem will be getting a 12' wide scope screen with the throw distance constraints. That @!#$%@#$ pole is really killing me. Wait, no it isn't. In fact, I like that the builder decided to support my house. The pole will now become a focal point in the room. I am at one with my pole.

Now that I am peaceful again, what about those doors? The wife really wants it open, if not then french doors. Will I gain any isolation at all by using a pocket door plus the french doors?


The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #16 of 428 Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I updated the design based on some of the style examples I just added to the second post.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #17 of 428 Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ted White's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Midland, MI USA
Posts: 8,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Pocket door = no isolation. Double (side by side) doors can seal OK. Single door = best seal.

__________________

Ted



The Soundproofing Company
Ted White is offline  
post #18 of 428 Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
swithey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D/FW, TX
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audixium,

One suggestion (at least from my experience)... We actually planned to do the bar seating in the back in our room and changed it to traditional seating in the end. We figured that for a 2-3 hour movie, the bar seating would get a bit uncomfortable. AND, you being the nice host you are, would let you guests sit in the money seats while you sat in the "less comfortable" bar stools.

So, I took the liberty to beat up your floor plan and make a few changes for you Of course, this is only my .02 -- so it is in no way binding

Change 1 -- use regular club chair type seating in place of the bar stools. Raise the floor about 10" or so to clear the heads of the people in front. I know that your ceiling are only 8', so it will bring the ceiling in a little closer. I would think that unless you normally have NBA pros over for the game, you should be okay.

Change 2 -- Add some lower bar stools in the back to "pack 'em in" when needed. If the club chairs swiveled, it would add a nice conversation circle. Case in point -- typically the men sit in the front while the ladies sit in the back during a football game. The ladies talk while the guys watch the game and yell at the screen.

Change 3 -- Added 2 more bass traps in the back left and right corners. You'll need them with the 2 sono-tube subs you'll have up front (and of course we'll need to talk about a few DIY monster subs down the road!!)

swithey is offline  
post #19 of 428 Old 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
GarenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audi,

Love the look your going for. We did cherry in our room as well, its so warm and inviting. couple quick ideas...
-In my mind recessed cans are pretty non-zen, so how about some of the new low volt pendants for the bar lighting? They have a real warm(aura, not temp) light and ultra cool glass fixtures on the end of the single wire that holds them. placed at the right height they could really provide great lighting and still be out of the line of sight, and since they attach to regular electrical boxes they are way better for sound isolation then those troublesome cans? not to mention giving you great options for coordinating sconces...zen, baby, zen...

-then how about a cool cherry framed fabric panel for the windows? you could find a cool rug or tapestry and frame it with the cherry and it would help with acoustics too...hey you could go so far as to build it into a sliding frame and be able to slide it out of the way for some natural light during those times when you don't need utter darkness.

Garen
GarenT is offline  
post #20 of 428 Old 09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Breathe in, exhale....breathe in, exhale....now, I want you to go to your happy place. All is calm, turbulence is no more.

It worked too well. I was totally relaxed. All was calm, turbulence was no more.

I wish I could say the same about the flatulence.


The Un-Theater Un-Build
_________________________________
State Certified Alcohol Disposal Expert.

 

hanesian is offline  
post #21 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Pocket door = no isolation. Double (side by side) doors can seal OK. Single door = best seal.

Ok, so I'll go with a double door. Are we talking about sealing high, mid, or low frequencies? I'm assuming at some point going down doors get really weak. What about glass panes?

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #22 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Audixium,

One suggestion (at least from my experience)... We actually planned to do the bar seating in the back in our room and changed it to traditional seating in the end. We figured that for a 2-3 hour movie, the bar seating would get a bit uncomfortable. AND, you being the nice host you are, would let you guests sit in the money seats while you sat in the "less comfortable" bar stools.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I had originally planed to use black leather office chairs like Big Red. He mentioned that they were great in his back row with the bar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post


Change 1 -- use regular club chair type seating in place of the bar stools. Raise the floor about 10" or so to clear the heads of the people in front. I know that your ceiling are only 8', so it will bring the ceiling in a little closer. I would think that unless you normally have NBA pros over for the game, you should be okay.

Agreed - I'll update the plan with a riser and chairs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Change 2 -- Add some lower bar stools in the back to "pack 'em in" when needed. If the club chairs swiveled, it would add a nice conversation circle. Case in point -- typically the men sit in the front while the ladies sit in the back during a football game. The ladies talk while the guys watch the game and yell at the screen.

I'm still not sure what to do in the back area. I thought a walk up bar against the wall might work. At one point I had a poker table type setup in the upper left corner. That seemed too crowded. I need to clear my mind again.

I should consider the guests. I'll put more thought into what I can do there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Change 3 -- Added 2 more bass traps in the back left and right corners. You'll need them with the 2 sono-tube subs you'll have up front (and of course we'll need to talk about a few DIY monster subs down the road!!)

I had bass traps in there, but can't figure out how to cover that area while making it appear like a design element....?

DIY subs? Ha! Surely you have me mixed up with someone who likes MDF dust.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #23 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarenT View Post

Audi,

Love the look your going for. We did cherry in our room as well, its so warm and inviting. couple quick ideas...
-In my mind recessed cans are pretty non-zen, so how about some of the new low volt pendants for the bar lighting? They have a real warm(aura, not temp) light and ultra cool glass fixtures on the end of the single wire that holds them. placed at the right height they could really provide great lighting and still be out of the line of sight, and since they attach to regular electrical boxes they are way better for sound isolation then those troublesome cans? not to mention giving you great options for coordinating sconces...zen, baby, zen...

Thanks for the link! I like the look of these:



I've also thought about going with LittLites like indygreg did for his back bar in Big Red


Quote:
Originally Posted by GarenT View Post

-then how about a cool cherry framed fabric panel for the windows? you could find a cool rug or tapestry and frame it with the cherry and it would help with acoustics too...hey you could go so far as to build it into a sliding frame and be able to slide it out of the way for some natural light during those times when you don't need utter darkness.

Garen

I have some ideas along those lines. But I had not thought about sliding like a shoji screen effect. That might work out to be really cool!

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #24 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

It worked too well. I was totally relaxed. All was calm, turbulence was no more.

I wish I could say the same about the flatulence.


I'm gonna let that one slide for now...

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #25 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

I'm gonna let that one slide for now...

I would expect nothing less from one who is one with his basement, oh zen master.

No matter. I am subscribed and watching anxiously. Good stuff. Just wish I could clear the clutter from my basement/build/life and live quietly in the moment. But every time I try the voices in my head start arguing!

Watching and learning,

(Not so young) Grasshopper

The Un-Theater Un-Build
_________________________________
State Certified Alcohol Disposal Expert.

 

hanesian is offline  
post #26 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Updated layout...


The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #27 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swithey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D/FW, TX
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Agreed - I'll update the plan with a riser and chairs.

The pic/design of indygreg's room is perfect. Elegant and comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

I'm still not sure what to do in the back area. I thought a walk up bar against the wall might work. At one point I had a poker table type setup in the upper left corner. That seemed too crowded. I need to clear my mind again.

One other thing to consider... we use our wet bar counter to put food on when we have guests. You may consider a zen-like buffet table in the back attached to the front of your bar (maybe a cool curved front with stone or stained wood along the bottom -- very clean lines). This might make a good accent piece in the back. Remember balance is key to any Zen room I think some of my wife's design theories are creeping into my conscious life


Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

DIY subs? Ha! Surely you have me mixed up with someone who likes MDF dust.

Nothing like MDF dry heaves in the morning I'm expecting those (2) monsters to have 2' diameters and be 7' in height with 18" drivers! You'll feel that bass -- no need for any stink'n butt-kickers in your room.


Do you have any elevations to share with us (front, back and sides)?
swithey is offline  
post #28 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Random thought: it was 85 degrees yesterday, and right now it is snowing.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #29 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Audixium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rocky Mtn High
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

One other thing to consider... we use our wet bar counter to put food on when we have guests. You may consider a zen-like buffet table in the back attached to the front of your bar (maybe a cool curved front with stone or stained wood along the bottom -- very clean lines). This might make a good accent piece in the back. Remember balance is key to any Zen room

I think that is a good idea. I was toying with making that area something like that - walk up bar that could also be used for what you describe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

I'm expecting those (2) monsters to have 2' diameters and be 7' in height with 18" drivers! You'll feel that bass -- no need for any stink'n butt-kickers in your room.

I was planning on two SVS subs up front. But now you have me wondering...could I convert the two columns on each side of the front row into subs in the bottom portion ? I have them at 12" deep and about 5' wide. Would that kill any attempts at isolation?


Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Do you have any elevations to share with us (front, back and sides)?

Not yet. I learned not to start on those until I'm completely, conclusively, absolutely, universally committed to a layout. Once I am at one with the layout I'll elevate it.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Audixium is offline  
post #30 of 428 Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swithey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D/FW, TX
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

I was planning on two SVS subs up front. But now you have me wondering...could I convert the two columns on each side of the front row into subs in the bottom portion ? I have them at 12" deep and about 5' wide. Would that kill any attempts at isolation?

SVS makes a good unit. The columns could be subs but they really do not have enough volume at 5' wide x 1' deep x 4' tall. The shallow depth may be an issue as well. As for isolation, you just want to make sure the walls are isolated 1st then build your columns in front of that. However, buying gets you there a lot faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Not yet. I learned not to start on those until I'm completely, conclusively, absolutely, universally committed to a layout. Once I am at one with the layout I'll elevate it.

Understood!
swithey is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off