Village Theater Construction Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #391 of 404 Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So it's been some time since my last post. Mainly because of work and the fact that we are thouroughly enjoying the theater in all of it's glory.

Some recent updates....

I ripped out the Russound Whole House Audio system and replaced it with the Control4 HC800 and HC300's in the Family Room, Master Bedroom, Basement Living area and the Theater. I replaced the Phillips Pronto remote I had in the theater with the Control4 system also. I had about a 1,000 hours in that thing and it was perfect. I mean perfect. My 2, 4 and 6 year old could make it work with no instruction. Though it didn't have the two way feedback I needed for music, etc. Not sure I am happy with the whole Control4 thing - lack of control is my main concern, but with all my travel and the complexity of the whole house, I figured this would be a nice solution that would ease my "management" of the system. I did have to rip out the Grafikeye and put in 4 Control4 dimmers for control of the lighting scenes and a 6 button controller in the lobby. While I WANT to like the Control4 system, it seems buggy and I've had many problems with it "sticking" - just not making the changes from Cable > Movie > HTPC cleanly. Has anyone else had issues with Control4. Since I work for MS, Savant wasn't an option. URC I tried and it just didn't have the two-way I wanted. Logitech was OUT - cause it sucks and finally, Crestron is amazingly complex. It's like the SAP of control systems. I also needed the rest of the house controlled - Audio, Video, Door Locks, etc. But, it just isn't living up to it's expectations. Any thoughts from people out there that have made the Control4 leap - I'd be interested in hearing you experience. Will it get better? Is it just maturing?

Anyway, back to the theater.... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 404 Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Mark,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the theater. Which Russound system did you have? What didn't you like about it? I am starting to look at a whole house sound systems and am considering Russound. I wired the house years ago for speakers and controllers. I already have an automation solutions (HAI Omni Pro II) and just want to integrate audio.

thanks,
Nick
post #393 of 404 Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, it DIED. I had the CAV6.6 and I loved it. The main board fried somehow and Russound said it could not be repaired and it was out of warranty. I have it in a cooled MA rack, so I think it was just worn out . Now I have 6 UNO controllers in the house - meaning holes that need to be replaced. Well, since I am MS focused, I had to also use Casatunes for the connection to the Music Server, but other than that it was a good system. If you want 6 UNO S1's I have them for you and a nice, never used, Russound Remote. smile.gif Control4 seems to offer me the whole house audio and video, plus the other controls I was looking for - sprinklers, outside lighting, door locks, garage, etc. So it seemed like a no brainer.... Just experiencing a "lack of control" issue. How ironic, eh? Lastly, I think the native integration to Sonos for expansion in areas I hadn't wired for speakers was awful enticing. I only did the first floor and outside for audio - so the girls and boys rooms - 4 of them - would benefit from the Control4/Sonos system. I love Sonos and they are my customer, so I thought this might be a nice move long-term.

Bottomline - love Russound... just wasn't happy with their "replacement" policy. smile.gif
post #394 of 404 Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been a long time, but an update... I finally completed the Lobby with cabinets, ubatuba countertops and nice RGB LED's. Some minor decorating to do and to set up the candy area, but all in all nearly complete after many years. While we have enjoyed the theater over the last few years, I could never make schedules work for the calibration.......so, it was time to have the calibration completed finally.

All I have to say is get your theater professionally calibrated! I can't imagine getting remotely close to what Ken Whitcomb did to my theater and I tried.... The audio is so amazing!!!!!! With two DD-15's, he made the bass so immersive and tight, that it's mind-blowing. When the little girl on Finding Nemo taps on the Aquarium, it's intense to say the least. It's truly immersive. The video is STUNNING! He got my JVC RS25 to a whole new level. The richness of the all of the colors, the skin tones are amazing, the contrast is incredible. There is detail in movies that I never saw before....quite simply incredible.

I can't recommend Ken Whitcomb enough... he's so much fun to be around and he certainly has an un-paralleled passion for his craft! He truly enjoyed getting my theater to it's best capabilities and I think he thoroughly enjoyed his trip - even the four interested little ones that were so enamored by Mr. Ken. The bonus is also that I found some great new reference material - Samsara. The kids really loved the scene of the monks creating the sand paintings. Quite frankly the most incredible imagery I've seen in quite some time - http://www.amazon.com/Samsara-Blu-ray-Ron-Fricke/dp/B008N9AAQ4/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1401887687&sr=8-58&keywords=4k+blu+ray

Now I will enjoy it even more and plan my next step of getting a Lumagen. :-) Thanks so much Ken for all that you do.....

If you truly want the best from your theater - choose Ken - http://calibrationsinc.com/

Forever chasing the Dragon,

Mark

post #395 of 404 Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Looks (and probably sounds) very cool Mark! Do we get to see a pic of the lobby/candy counter?
marklabelle870 likes this.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #396 of 404 Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are you still looking for SMX Pro Panels? I have a set now that I've changed screens. PM me if you are--maybe they will work with your setup.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #397 of 404 Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Would love the PRO panels. Which ones did you have? PM me when you get a moment...
post #398 of 404 Old 09-26-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sitting here enjoying the theater and I had to post that since I've had this calibrated by Ken Whitcomb.....I can't imagine a theater sounding better. Now I am sure that Dennis Erskine would disagree, but holy moly....! I know it's MY theater, but since calibration it's been amazing. Either I got lucky with room acoustics or Ken is a magician.

I've have 2 Velodyne DD-15's and they used to have some boominess to the back row that sits on the riser. Now......crystal clear, awesome clarity. Thick, appropriate bass. Every seat is perfect and as Ken would attest, I'm not easy to please.

Last edited by marklabelle870; 09-26-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #399 of 404 Old 09-27-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post
Looks (and probably sounds) very cool Mark! Do we get to see a pic of the lobby/candy counter?
Realized I never posted pictures of the lobby. Here you go:

Last edited by marklabelle870; 09-27-2014 at 02:38 PM.
post #400 of 404 Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks awesome...!
Whens the meet?

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #401 of 404 Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Very cool Mark - thanks for the pics and glad to hear that you're still enjoying the room.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #402 of 404 Old 09-30-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Followed your thread, excellent build!
post #403 of 404 Old 10-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post
Looks awesome...!
Whens the meet?
I second both items!
post #404 of 404 Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I need to schedule a meet. Who's organizing them for SE Michigan these days?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page